Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: history of mets uniforms

Thumbs up history of mets uniforms

the met uniform has evolved into what we see today as a combo of blue orange, white and black. in the early days, the uni consisted of mets across the front with no number except on the back. that changed in 1964 when the mets added the number to the front. the theme was pinsripes to represent the yankees, script writing to rep. the dodgers, and the orange and blue to represent both the giants and dodgers. being that mrs. payson was such a huge giant fan, she took the emblem that was on their hats and transferred it to the mets- and ...presto! the met uni was born! it stood basically the same with the exception of going from wool to polyster/cotton 50/50, in the late sixties, early 70s. this was due not only for comfort in the heat but because the organization found out that ken singleton was allergic to wool! that worry was short-lived as he was traded in the rusty staub deal along with mike jorgensen and ''crazy horse'' tim foli.[foli, by the way, once got into an argument with ed kranepool over krane throwing the ball straight to him in infield practice BETWEEN INNINGS instead of grounders!] anyway, the tints of blue chanced from dark to a lighter shade- they went to semi-button-downs in the late seventies early 80s, added names to the back , racing stripes circa 86, v-necks throughout the 80s then went back to the traditional styles in 96 b4 adding the current snow white and black home and aways in 98 or 99. i personally like the off white pinstriped home uniform that they wore in the 60s circa 69. do you remember the worlds fair patch they wore in 64 and again in 04, or the ws patch they added to the 69 uniform which i believe all of baseball did to signify the 100th year of baseball? how about the bp jerseys throughout the years? how bout it met fans -fill me in

Talking

I like the 73 away jerseys they wore. I also like the 98 and 99 jerseys they had. The Mets on the front had no black outlines and i like that better. the classsic white 75 uniforms are nice with the "darker blue" Mets. The 86 ones with the stripes are a cool look also.

" Nothin but bloooo skies........"

Never liked the 86 style racing stripes

Blog Entries
    In my opinion the 86' home jersey was the best.
    You must pick battles that are small enough to win, but large enough to matter

Blog Entries
    Here is a pictorial look at all of the uniforms from 1962-2000:
    http://nyrfan25.tripod.com/uniforms.html

i am not a big fan of the black in there uniforms at all , i think that they should stick with the blue,orange,white combos, and always wear the blue hats with orange NY logo on it.

I think it was Jerry Seinfeld who originally pointed out that we "root for the laundry."
    I'm grateful that, for the most part, the Mets togs have been easy on the eye.
    ---
    Pushing on the doors of life marked "pull."
    Visit my blog

Blog Entries
    What about the 2003 Spring Training Jersey, Orange with barely blue and no black?
    You must pick battles that are small enough to win, but large enough to matter

Quote Originally Posted by mikemets View Post
    i am not a big fan of the black in there uniforms at all , i think that they should stick with the blue,orange,white combos, and always wear the blue hats with orange NY logo on it.
    i agree- no room for the black here.

Quote Originally Posted by NJMetfan4life View Post
    What about the 2003 Spring Training Jersey, Orange with barely blue and no black?
    orange like the florida sun met fan!!!lololololo- i was gonna purchase a pro model met uni in 1998 when they had no black in there. instead , i got one for my brother for his birthday thinking i had plenty of time to get one for myself. little did i know they were adding the black to the mix which ,IMO, cheapens the look. now im in agony searching or i have to settle for the 69 jersey, which is an off white- ihave to say the tradtional home pinstripes still look good- we root for the uni i guess!!!!

Pinstripes are a great look, but the problem is if, as the original poster says, they were introduced as deference to the Yankees, well....it's deference to the Yankees. I'd like them to be original in their own right with uniforms.

I'm undecided about the black uniforms. They contrast the lettering real well.

I used to hate the alternates, but now i'm starting to find that i like the all white jerseys, as long as they wear the blue cap with it...i find that the combo works really well...as for the black jerseys, im not a fan of those..if i could have my way with the unis it would be:

Home:
    - Pinstripes/ Blue Caps
    - white alternate/ blue caps

Away:
    - Grey road/Blue caps
    NL Wild Card
    1999 2000

NL East Division Champs
    1969 1973 1986 1988 2006

National League Champs
    1969 1973 1986 2000

World Champs
    1969 1986

Quote Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
    I used to hate the alternates, but now i'm starting to find that i like the all white jerseys, as long as they wear the blue cap with it...i find that the combo works really well...as for the black jerseys, im not a fan of those..if i could have my way with the unis it would be:

Home:
    - Pinstripes/ Blue Caps
    - white alternate/ blue caps

Away:
    - Grey road/Blue caps
    Basically, five is way too many jerseys to have. I'm sure it helps with the merchandising revenue.

I agree with the choices you list, but I would add the black road one...for now. That is still four, though. I actually don't like the plain white one much at all.

I think they should bring back the orange ST jersey - I was going to buy one just after they stopped selling them.

I have a feeling either when Citi Field is opened, or soon after, the organization might reveal a new uniform for the mets.

I agree that the mets have too many uniforms, its kind of like an identity crisis in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyLegs View Post
    I have a feeling either when Citi Field is opened, or soon after, the organization might reveal a new uniform for the mets.

I agree that the mets have too many uniforms, its kind of like an identity crisis in my opinion.
    I was saying that to my brother..but I think that since citi has the classic baseball look, tehir gonna go with teh traditional mets jerseys meaning goodbye black
    NL Wild Card
    1999 2000

NL East Division Champs
    1969 1973 1986 1988 2006

National League Champs
    1969 1973 1986 2000

World Champs
    1969 1986

Quote Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
    I was saying that to my brother..but I think that since citi has the classic baseball look, tehir gonna go with teh traditional mets jerseys meaning goodbye black
    I can see them going with just the plain white at home and the gray on the road, kind of like the dodgers. and they would both be with blue caps and orange logo.
    Last edited by RubyLegs; 12-11-2007 at 10:46 AM.

And of course there will be an arm patch to commemorate the first year of the new park, just like there is an arm patch next year to celebrate the end of Shea, just like there was an armpatch a few seasons ago to mark the 40th anniversary, and so on....

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Blaze View Post
    And of course there will be an arm patch to commemorate the first year of the new park, just like there is an arm patch next year to celebrate the end of Shea, just like there was an armpatch a few seasons ago to mark the 40th anniversary, and so on....
    and of course thy will sell jerseys with the armpatch commerating the first year of citi, just like they are selling now for the last year of shea.
    NL Wild Card
    1999 2000

NL East Division Champs
    1969 1973 1986 1988 2006

National League Champs
    1969 1973 1986 2000

World Champs
    1969 1986

I'm a big fan of the traditional pinstripes & blue hat.

I didn't mind the all-white Dodger uni when it was first introduced in '97. It was only supposed to be worn on Sunday home games, along with the funky white hat. Of course now that feels like a trick, as it has become their predominant uni, (sans that white hat).

The black shirts are horrible. Ditto the black hats & black socks. Wish they would go away. Not just because I don't like them, but the team simply has too, too many uniform arrangements.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see a new version of the white uni unvieled for Citi's inagural season. It could be a shocker too, if they use the red 'umbrella' in the Citi logo as an excuse to color the front of the jersey number red, so that 'everything ties in'. I have no problem with Citi evoking Ebbets Field as well as honoring Jackie Robinson, but this would be too much, even for me !

Wouldn't it be nice to see our Mets take to the Citi Field diamond looking like tradional Mets ? If they need a throwback option, they can have the players wear stirups !

While we are talking about all things uniform, I have decided I really hate the hat with the blue bill. It just looks like two halves of separate hats sewn together. I'm OK with the all-black hat, but I think I'm leaning towards the blue and orange. That is, after all, the colors.

I don't mind the black and blue hat for away. I'd like to see an all-black hate with an all-orange logo like the old Giants.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

I have a few opinions on Mets unis. The black has become a bit stale, IMO. I would get rid of them. I would have the default home unis be the all-white with the traditional blue hat. I would have an alternate home uni, cream-colored with pinstripes and no black shadowblock, worn with the traditional blue hat, or maybe a new hat, blue with the black-white-orange "NY" they have on the current BP caps. Road would be primarily the greys, with an option for an early-'80s solid blue top. I really have never liked the blue-black caps.

....cream-colored? BP style caps? That's worse than the all white uni with the white hat and blue brim.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

i actually wouldnt mind an alternate away of all blue tops with orange lettering and numbers with a white outline...kinda reminesenct of the 80s.

the only thing that's a must for me is the blue cap must be worn at ALL games.
    NL Wild Card
    1999 2000

NL East Division Champs
    1969 1973 1986 1988 2006

National League Champs
    1969 1973 1986 2000

World Champs
    1969 1986

There is word of a return to the darker 60's era blue for the 09 Mets. Maybe they will do away with the black and return to a more traditional look.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast