Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Braves Offer Glavine 7 Million, Glavine Makes Counterproposal

Quote Originally Posted by psbaseballfan27 View Post
    Enjoy the washup. Braves fans had better hope he gets an umpire with a large strikezone.
    *whistles as he washes up* I know I am.

Smile

Enjoy the washup.
    Writes a guy who is going to be running Orlando Hernandez and Pedro Martinez out there every five days next year...
    3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

"It is not easy to be near your best every single day. Some would even say itís impossible. Weíre all just human beings. But itís not impossible. Henry Aaron did it." - Joe Posnanski

First off Pedro will be better than glavine this year. Hernandez will be too if he stays healthy and even i have yo say that's a big if. I know draft picks aren't worth a lot but is galvine worth a 1st rounder? He'll be ok, wh do have umps with large strikezones. But in general an ok third starter for the braves who do need starting pitching like another team in the division.

First off Pedro will be better than glavine this year. Hernandez will be too if he stays healthy and even i have yo say that's a big if. I know draft picks aren't worth a lot but is galvine worth a 1st rounder? He'll be ok, wh do have umps with large strikezones. But in general an ok third starter for the braves who do need starting pitching like another team in the division.
    Yes, Glavine is worth a first-rounder. The baseball draft is a crapshoot, like any other draft in any other sport. It means opportunity (more for teams with more draft picks), but some (most?) just don't pan out.

That's why that doesn't worry me.

The problem with Glavine on the Mets was he had to be a number 1 starter which Glavine even admits he isn't. Glavine is a good number 3 and not much more which is fine. Also Pedro should be better the Glavine because he is younger and has always had better stuff then Glavine.

Glavine is worth a first round pick because the MLB draft is completely different from the NFL or NBA. Not many first round picks acutally contribute for a while some do but for the most part it still takes a good amount of time. Glavine will be fine for one year and giving up a pick that might someday contribute to the Mets is fine.
    Extend Prado!!!

Smile

But in general an ok third starter for the braves who do need starting pitching like another team in the division.
    If you had written that in the first place, I wouldn't have had to go all smart alecky on you. That's all Atlanta is really looking for: an anchor for the bottom end of the rotation.

"It is not easy to be near your best every single day. Some would even say itís impossible. Weíre all just human beings. But itís not impossible. Henry Aaron did it." - Joe Posnanski

I have never been the biggest fan of Glavine. A HOF career wise no doubt. However i'm happy to get a pick for Glavine. We have no idea how much he has left. He is better than Mike Hampton. Glavine is good for parts of the season and then he just blows up. Glavine doesn't solve many of the braves pitching problems. IF you ask me his record will be at .500 and era 4.25-4.50.

I have never been the biggest fan of Glavine. A HOF career wise no doubt. However i'm happy to get a pick for Glavine. We have no idea how much he has left. He is better than Mike Hampton. Glavine is good for parts of the season and then he just blows up. Glavine doesn't solve many of the braves pitching problems. IF you ask me his record will be at .500 and era 4.25-4.50.
    That's exactly what they need. Do you realize how bad the 4-5 starters in the rotation were?

Quote Originally Posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
    The problem with Glavine on the Mets was he had to be a number 1 starter which Glavine even admits he isn't. Glavine is a good number 3 and not much more which is fine.
    When he was originally signed he was expected to be an ace (he was 18-11 with a 2.96 ERA in his walk year). He just never pitched like an ace his entire Met career. Of course he admits he's not an ace after he made ace money) for the time).

Glavine is worth a first round pick because the MLB draft is completely different from the NFL or NBA. Not many first round picks acutally contribute for a while some do but for the most part it still takes a good amount of time. Glavine will be fine for one year and giving up a pick that might someday contribute to the Mets is fine.
    Teams are putting a lot more into who they draft. The MLB draft is slowly becoming like the NBA and NFL.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Quote Originally Posted by NYMets523 View Post
    He just never pitched like an ace his entire Met career.
    ERA+ of 119, 116 and 114 in '04, '05 and '06, very much in line with his career mark of 119. The fact that that translated to records of 11-14 and 13-13 those first two years has a lot to do with the punchless lineups and putrid defense he had to deal with.

I watched him pitch many of those games and I lost count of how many games Cliff Floyd and Kaz Matsui lost with their broken legged fielding at the worst possible moments.

If you want an Ace, I understand Kenny Rogers is available...

Quote Originally Posted by NYMets523 View Post
    Teams are putting a lot more into who they draft. The MLB draft is slowly becoming like the NBA and NFL.
    That doesn't mean that they'll turn out better players even if they put in more resources. Besides, the NBA and NFL drafts are different, because those players that are drafted are expected to contribute almost immediately. Baseball people don't have to do that. That's why I think it's more difficult to determine who is going to be the next big star, and why I'm not sweating that pick. Enjoy it.

So we basicall agree on what you are getting.

So we basicall agree on what you are getting.
    Pretty much. We know what we're likely in for.

I'm really glad he's coming back. I liked the other two out of the big three more, but I still like Glavine. And anything that helps the Braves is fine by me.
    The Dark Knight is the best movie I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12