Thread: The Angels will win the World Series in 2008

1. The Angels will win the World Series in 2008

Torii Hunter was the missing piece of the puzzle. Here's why: http://www.offinlefffield.com/?p=10
    --------------------
    http://benchcoach.com/
    --------------------
    http://www.offinlefffield.com/
    Sportswriter Mark Leff blabs about baseball

They do have a good shot at winning the World Series, but I wouldn't say It's because they got Torii Hunter..
    RIP JOE KENNEDY
    My Blog
    My Avatar Gallery

3. Quote Originally Posted by BosoxOrioles69 View Post
    They do have a good shot at winning the World Series, but I wouldn't say It's because they got Torii Hunter..
    Well, I don't claim Hunter is going to lead them there. He just represents the one facet they were missing. Now they have everything they need to flat out dominate.
    --------------------
    http://benchcoach.com/
    --------------------
    http://www.offinlefffield.com/
    Sportswriter Mark Leff blabs about baseball

At this time in the off-season, the OF is stacked very well. However, I don't know if OF was the biggest need before the Torii Hunter acquisitin. Now, what about the IF? SS Orlando Cabrera may prove irreplaceable. Getting 3B Miguel Cabrera may get them that 3-6 offensive punch but, it will cost 2B Howie Kendrick. That will giving them no defense in the IF. Cabrera-Kendrick are necessary and were the KEY for that Angels type game. Chone figgins and Gary Mathews are now the super-subs. This team is more imbalanced than before so, no way they are front-runners in the AL, even with Miguel Cabrera and even if they acquire Johan Santana.
    Last edited by HDH; 11-26-2007 at 10:15 PM.
    In the 1920's, Harry Heilmann led the AL with a .364 average. In addition, he averaged 220 hits, 45 doubles, 12 triples, 16 homers, 110 runs, and 130 RBI.

Quote Originally Posted by HDH View Post
    At this time in the off-season, the OF is stacked very well. However, I don't know if OF was the biggest need before the Torii Hunter acquisitin. Now, what about the IF? SS Orlando Cabrera may prove irreplaceable. Getting 3B Miguel Cabrera may get them that 3-6 offensive punch but, it will cost 2B Howie Kendrick. That will giving them no defense in the IF. Cabrera-Kendrick are necessary and were the KEY for that Angels type game. Chone figgins and Gary Mathews are now the super-subs. This team is more imbalanced than before so, no way they are front-runners in the AL, even with Miguel Cabrera and even if they acquire Johan Santana.
    I really hope the Angels pass on Miguel Cabrera, keep Kendrick, and give Brandon Wood a chance to win the SS job in the Spring.

Hunter was acquired for his bat and he didn't require players in return.

Whereas I think your evaluation is overly harsh, I agree with you that giving up what it takes to get Miguel Cabrera would be a mistake. I'm not excited about the idea of getting Tejada, either.

Blog Entries
    Not if they play the Red Sox or Tigers.
    SOUVENEZ-VOUS LES EXPOS!!!
    "The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - Jim Morrison

Blog Entries
    didn't ESPN or someone say the Angels would win the 2007 world series??

Based on the current rosters, I think the playoffs will go as follows:

Yankees - AL East
    Tigers - AL Central
    Angels - AL West
    Red Sox - Wild Card

Mets - NL east
    Brewers - NL Central
    Dodgers - NL West
    Cubs - Wild Card
    LETS GO YANKEES!

Haha, the Yankees and Sox have pretty much the exact same rosters, and now the Yankees are going to win the division? No Yankee bias there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Westlake View Post
    Haha, the Yankees and Sox have pretty much the exact same rosters, and now the Yankees are going to win the division? No Yankee bias there.
    Don't they have Joba Chamberlain, who will post a microscopic ERA while going undefeated for the Yankees in 2008? And Phil Hughes, who will win 20 games and the Cy Young next year? /sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by mojorisin71 View Post
    Don't they have Joba Chamberlain, who will post a microscopic ERA while going undefeated for the Yankees in 2008? And Phil Hughes, who will win 20 games and the Cy Young next year? /sarcasm
    Maybe you haven't heard of Ian Patrick Kennedy, who will strike out 400 batters.
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

They gave a bunch of starts to: Jeff Karstens, Kei Igawa, Matt Delsalvo, Chase Wright, and Tyler Clippard. Hughes/Joba/Ian don't have to be that good to be better than these clowns, also they won't have Torre throwing games away. The team forgot how to play baseball in the first half and they still only finished two games out. Not impossible to see. That said I'll wait until March to make my picks.
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

If the Angels could sneak in and trump both NY teams plus Boston and get Santana, it would make things VERY interesting and yes, they would definitely be in with a good chance if things went well.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLDuncan View Post
    They gave a bunch of starts to: Jeff Karstens, Kei Igawa, Matt Delsalvo, Chase Wright, and Tyler Clippard. Hughes/Joba/Ian don't have to be that good to be better than these clowns, also they won't have Torre throwing games away. The team forgot how to play baseball in the first half and they still only finished two games out. Not impossible to see. That said I'll wait until March to make my picks.
    Sorry buddy, but the first half of the season counts.

Also, they had throw all those guys out there because of a lack of depth. This year, they might have 3 rookies in the rotation, and an injury prone Mussina to back them up... looks like tons of depth again..

Sorry buddy, but the first half of the season counts.

Also, they had throw all those guys out there because of a lack of depth. This year, they might have 3 rookies in the rotation, and an injury prone Mussina to back them up... looks like tons of depth again..
    Last season they had Wang/Moose/Pettitte/Igawa/Pavano slated to start, their rotation this season is in way better shape going into the season. I'm not saying the first half of the season counts, but I highly doubt they'll play as bad as they did in the first half this season.
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Blog Entries
    The Yankees aren't going anywhere if they face the Angels in the playoffs.