Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Classic Milwaukee Braves Photographs

Ah, of course it is. Thanks!

I'm intrigued by this photo of Del Crandall. Was that version of the classic "M" standard on early batting helmets?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great picture of Spahn, taken at Spring Training in 1956.

Quote Originally Posted by six4three View Post
    I'm intrigued by this photo of Del Crandall. Was that version of the classic "M" standard on early batting helmets?
    Yes, I've seen that on more than a few helmets of that era. They weren't really precise. I'm not sure it was even a decal. It looks more like it was painted with a stencil.

Great Spahn image
    3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Im honored to go into the Baseball Hall of Fame with such a great group of men. - Tom Glavine.

Here's another, from the current Sports Illustrated online gallery - photographs by Walter Iooss.

The attribution has to be wrong, though - it says "Hank Aaron | West Palm Beach, Florida, 1969". Doesn't make much sense for Hank to pose in a Milwaukee Braves cap years after the move, and he looks younger than 35. I'd guess a simple typo, it's 1959, and Hank's actually 25 in that photo.

Three more outstanding photos from Flickr. Not the team itself, but people at the 1957 World Series, including the best shot of the old scoreboard I've ever seen.

(Uploaded to Flickr.com by user KlickerChick on December 29, 2005; described as having been taken October 1, 1957. Link to original Flickr.com post: here)

(Uploaded to Flickr.com by user KlickerChick on December 29, 2005; described as having been taken October 6, 1957. Link to original Flickr.com post: here)

(Uploaded to Flickr.com by user KlickerChick on February 3, 2008. Link to original Flickr.com post: here)
    Last edited by six4three; 06-02-2008 at 12:31 PM.

The woman looks like she might be Carlton Wiley in drag. If not, my sincere apologies to all concerned.
    ---
    Pushing on the doors of life marked "pull."
    Visit my blog

Play nice, man. That's her mom.

OOPS. Sorry. A fine right hander was Carlton...and a future Met. The woman, now that I take a second look, is quite handsome with a terrific posture.
    Last edited by Ralph Zig Tyko; 06-04-2008 at 09:05 PM.
    ---
    Pushing on the doors of life marked "pull."
    Visit my blog

Much better.

Cool

The classic Game 4, the Nippy Jones game, won by Eddie Mathews with a walkoff homer.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-...d=195710060MLN

Im honored to go into the Baseball Hall of Fame with such a great group of men. - Tom Glavine.

Here's another cap logo variation. It's Don Kaiser, who was traded to the Braves after the 1957 but didn't apparently actually play a game.

Look at the M on the cap they gave him - don't think I've seen this one before.

That's new to me, too. Looks almost like a Greek letter.

I don't know if anybody noticed it, but the Braves sported the 1948 uniforms last week in a game at Wrigley. Tim Hudson looked like he'd fit right in as part of the rotation with Warren and Johnny.

Yeah, it's a beautiful uniform. The black tomahawk is so much better than red.

And love the socks.

I prefer the red tomahawk, but I love those socks. The Braves wore them for a while with the regular uniform a few years ago. Mike Remlinger was happy as a clam in them but Chipper wasn't, so...

So... couple more years, and they can bring them back?

Hopefully more than a couple

The main thing I like about those unis is that they read "Braves", just like the home whites, rather than "Atlanta." I always liked the Dodgers roadies when they were just gray versions of the home ones. I like the way that sort of says "Yeah, we're _______. Everybody knows who we are."

Hmm. I have exactly the opposite reaction. I really hate it when teans are ashamed to wear their city's name across their chest, which is how it always appears to me.

For me, that all depends on the city. "Los Angeles" and "Milwaukee" are too long to fit comfortably across a non-Adam Dunn size chest. I love the Tigers current road uniforms. Their returning to that classic Greenberg-era flowing script was an excellent move.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Bravos View Post
    For me, that all depends on the city. "Los Angeles" and "Milwaukee" are too long to fit comfortably across a non-Adam Dunn size chest.
    Sorry, I can't agree. Both "San Francisco" and "Pittsburgh" are longer than either of those, but they look great across the jerseys.

I think both "Milwaukee" and "Los Angeles" can also look great, even on relatively average-sized guys.

This is more about the Atlanta Braves, but as long as we're talking about the various cap logos, check out this promo shot of Frank Thomas wearing an Atlanta Braves cap in the same block style as the club wore in Boston and Milwaukee. Obviously before they had settled on a design (maybe an airbrushed 1965 card?).

The irony is that Thomas was released a week before the season started, and never played a game for the Atlanta Braves.

Here's another one, with Topps guessing what the new Milwaukee Braves' logo might be.

Love the upside-down W:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12