Page 253 of 285 FirstFirst ... 153203243251252253254255263 ... LastLast
Results 6,301 to 6,325 of 7111

Thread: Yankee Stadium [I] (1923 - 1973)

Quote Originally Posted by frank72 View Post
    YankieStadium1923 - I follow this site often for the same reasons as you. Many thanks to you, Lpeters and Sultan for your contributions here. I hope you don't let the posts of one indivual ruin it for you. Just ignore what you don't like - I do!

Best,
    Frank
    Thanks Frank. It's the instigative techniques used by the individual poster that causes the threads to spiral out of control. I've tried biting my tongue since the Commissiomner warned everyone some 20 months ago...but it's hard to fight the urge when you have to read the same garbage over and over and over. It's a cancer that leads other posters into throwing arounds zings...eventually causing an uproar in all the Yankee Stadium threads.

Don't know where this poster was the past week but I didn't see any bickering in any of the Yankee Stadium threads.

Coincidence?
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

2. Quote Originally Posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
    Thanks Frank. It's the instigative techniques used by the individual poster that causes the threads to spiral out of control. I've tried biting my tongue since the Commissiomner warned everyone some 20 months ago...but it's hard to fight the urge when you have to read the same garbage over and over and over. It's a cancer that leads other posters into throwing arounds zings...eventually causing an uproar in all the Yankee Stadium threads.

Don't know where this poster was the past week but I didn't see any bickering in any of the Yankee Stadium threads.

Coincidence?
    That particular poster inspired me to put up some of my opening day pictures from 1976 this morning. Unfortunately, I found out my scanner and computer are no longer on speaking terms, so until I find out what happened and mend that fence, it won't be possible. Tensions everywhere!

Thanks from here too, frank72. And we should also be grateful for alpineinc's many terrific finds.
    Last edited by Lpeters199; 04-30-2012 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stadiumbuilder View Post
    That particular poster inspired me to put up some of my opening day pictures from 1976 this morning. Unfortunately, I found out my scanner and computer are no longer on speaking terms, so until I find out what happened and mend that fence, it won't be possible. Tensions everywhere!
    Would love to see Opening Day pics from 1976.

How's the model?
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

6. Quote Originally Posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
    Would love to see Opening Day pics from 1976.

How's the model?
    Stadium's close to finished. I had trouble finding a material suitable for backstop screen, just had some very expensive stuff shipped in from California, hope it works. I've already built and trashed two other screens that didn't cut it. I also have to carve the gate medallions out of something and other than tweaking, that's it. My 1976 opening day pictures were taken with the family camera- an old (even for then) brownie-hawkeye you had to hold down low against your stomach to view your shot so the pictures are loaded with obstructions, but I'll get a couple up soon. www.stadiumbuilder.com

Blog Entries
    1936 WS:

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post

Coincidence?

Don't worry. I won't be posting much here on BBF anymore, thanks to posters like you, Maxlugar, Locke40, WEB, Gary, Strawman, NYFan1stYankFan2nd, Monument, and to all the other posters here who have to constantly bash NYS & Heritage Field on every single account!
    It's funny.. The constant and repetitive bashing of NYS & Heritage Field is perfectly fine here. (Because you're in favor of that!). But when I post my displeasure of the 1974-1975 renovations, a renovation that forced me to see my very first Yankee game at Shea Stadium (thank you Mayor Lindsay!), and prevented me from seeing OYS in its original beauty, I'm suddenly the bad guy..

I'll just follow the path that posters Cool Papa, Threeyoda and others like them took. Simply not to post as much anymore because of all the negative posting against NYS & Heritage Field. This place (BBF) just isn't fun anymore thanks to you, and posters like you!!!
    So fire away and bash every single thing about NYS & Heritage Field from here on out... I won't be here to read it!!

PS: Thanks again for the "Sparky Lyle NYS" cake, where section 420B was the "SWEET SPOT"!!!!!!!!!!
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Despite the eBay listing "Antique Vintage Baseball Polo Grounds scoreboard Photograph N.Y. Giants 1930s?", the picture was obviously taken at Yankee Stadium. Since there wasn't much to do on this lazy Sunday afternoon, I did some box score sleuthing. It was taken about 20 minutes after the game ended on Thursday, September 23, 1937. The first-place Yankees (96-46) lost to the last place St. Louis Browns (43-101). The Browns' Bill Trotter (2-8) was the winner; Red Ruffing (18-7) took the loss. Not much was at stake for the Yanks (the second-place Detroit Tigers were 12 games back at this point), who would go on to beat the New York Giants four games to one in the World Series.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...93709230.shtml

It's interesting that the scoreboard promotes the Giants-Dodgers game coming up at the Polo Grounds two days later. The Yankees would be in Boston facing the Red Sox that day, so it's possible Yankee fans would cross the river to Manhattan to see the first place Giants in anticipation of post-season play.

Of course in those days, fans were allowed to walk across the field to exit the park through the bleachers, so this couple paused on their way out for a souvenir snapshot. I wonder if anyone can identify the soldier's uniform, which to me looks like the style worn in Europe at that time. Could he be Spanish or Italian? Perhaps he was visiting family in New York, or maybe he was stationed or training in the U.S.

Great picture Lpeters199 - Thanks for posting it!
    Last edited by Chef Bill; 05-06-2012 at 05:10 PM.
    "Chef Bill"
    Boynton Beach, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Bill View Post
    Since there wasn't much to do on this lazy Sunday afternoon, I did some box score sleuthing. This picture was taken on Thursday, September 23, 1937. The first-place Yankees (96-46) lost to the last place St. Louis Browns (43-101). The Browns' Bill Trotter (2-8) was the winner; Red Ruffing (18-7) took the loss. Not much was at stake for the Yanks (the second-place Detroit Tigers were 12 games back at this point), who would go on to beat the New York Giants four games to one in the World Series.

And a 1 hour and 42 minute game to boot. Don't see that much any more.

Blog Entries
    Some great pics. Lpeters199! Love the one of the people in front of the scoreboard in 1937.

Chef Bill, I contacted the seller of the 1937 photo and shared the info you posted, with a link to your post. I often contact ebay sellers to correct erroneous information, or to offer details and dates when absent. It's good to have accurate information about baseball-related artifacts and memorabilia.

Thanks Sultan!
    "Chef Bill"
    Boynton Beach, Florida

1932 WS Game 1. Likely here before, if so, certainly worth another look.

What's interesting, though, is there is no scenario with only a man on third with the Yankees batting that game, so it appears the Cubs are at bat with a man on third, and the ball being hit up the middle (pitcher jumping, shortstop leaning, possibly even the ball in flight towards the pitcher), which would make the only possible scenario in the very first inning, with the Cubs already having a 1-0 lead with 1 out - and the Yankees are playing the infield in?

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...280NYA1932.htm

60142fe5-fd90-4e61-8b2e-0089252d2547_lg.jpeg
    Larger size

http://www.mearsonlineauctions.com/L...px?lotid=27732
    Last edited by alpineinc; 05-08-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef Bill View Post
    Despite the eBay listing "Antique Vintage Baseball Polo Grounds scoreboard Photograph N.Y. Giants 1930s?", the picture was obviously taken at Yankee Stadium. Since there wasn't much to do on this lazy Sunday afternoon, I did some box score sleuthing. It was taken about 20 minutes after the game ended on Thursday, September 23, 1937. The first-place Yankees (96-46) lost to the last place St. Louis Browns (43-101). The Browns' Bill Trotter (2-8) was the winner; Red Ruffing (18-7) took the loss. Not much was at stake for the Yanks (the second-place Detroit Tigers were 12 games back at this point), who would go on to beat the New York Giants four games to one in the World Series.

It's interesting that the scoreboard promotes the Giants-Dodgers game coming up at the Polo Grounds two days later. The Yankees would be in Boston facing the Red Sox that day, so it's possible Yankee fans would cross the river to Manhattan to see the first place Giants in anticipation of post-season play.

Of course in those days, fans were allowed to walk across the field to exit the park through the bleachers, so this couple paused on their way out for a souvenir snapshot. I wonder if anyone can identify the soldier's uniform, which to me looks like the style worn in Europe at that time. Could he be Spanish or Italian? Perhaps he was visiting family in New York, or maybe he was stationed or training in the U.S.

I'm only guessing here, but I think the scoreboard advertising refers to a forthcoming football game.

The uniform looks like something that might be worn by the American Legion or similar group. I wonder if the wearer was in a parade or related pre-game activity.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Barrie View Post
    I'm only guessing here, but I think the scoreboard advertising refers to a forthcoming football game.

The banner advertises a baseball game. Here is the box score:

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...250NY11937.htm

Yankee Stadium color scheme

Well over a year ago I compiled a group of photos showing the basic color scheme of Yankee Stadium from 1923-1973.

The information provided is based on the paint layers found on a 1923 and 1937 Yankee Stadium Grandstand seat.

Since I'm cleaning out my hard drive I thought I would post the following:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

1923 and 1937 Yankee Stadium Grandstand seat.
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Yankee Stadium Grandstand seat showing Seafoam Green seat bottom.
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

I was watching Mecum autos and thought this color matched the 1923 Yankee Stadium seat sample.

The color is listed as 1928 GM Chevrolet Paul Revere Green
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Statements claiming Yankee Stadium was painted Rice Blue after the 1966 season.
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    1932 WS Game 1. Likely here before, if so, certainly worth another look.

What's interesting, though, is there is no scenario with only a man on third with the Yankees batting that game, so it appears the Cubs are at bat with a man on third, and the ball being hit up the middle (pitcher jumping, shortstop leaning, possibly even the ball in flight towards the pitcher), which would make the only possible scenario in the very first inning, with the Cubs already having a 1-0 lead with 1 out - and the Yankees are playing the infield in?

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...280NYA1932.htm

60142fe5-fd90-4e61-8b2e-0089252d2547_lg.jpeg
    Larger size

http://www.mearsonlineauctions.com/L...px?lotid=27732
    Nice picture Alpineinc - thanks for sharing it. According to the box score, the Cubs scored the game's first run and had a man on third due to Ruth's error on English's single. There was a lot of macho posturing in that series. I wonder if pulling the infield in was an intimidation strategy by Yankee manager Miller Huggins - daring the next hitter to try to put one through. Success could mean choking off a run on a sharp grounder or poorly-placed bunt. But as it turned out, batter Stephenson singled to center field, and English scored.

There are lots of empty seats there in left field. Even though it was a Wednesday afternoon, the attendance seems surprisingly low for Game One of a World Series (about 41,500 - see box score and caption on reverse of photo). I wonder why?
    "Chef Bill"
    Boynton Beach, Florida

That 36 WS picture shows the warning track 20-30' in front of the fence. Why was this the norm? Was the track an actual track?

OYS turnstile on ebay for $499. Looks a little funny to me, and the history behind it is vague. Anybody else see it?
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Page 253 of 285 FirstFirst ... 153203243251252253254255263 ... LastLast