Page 267 of 282 FirstFirst ... 167217257265266267268269277 ... LastLast
Results 6,651 to 6,675 of 7037

Thread: Yankee Stadium [I] (1923 - 1973)

Quote Originally Posted by mackenzie View Post
    ...description of the seats as being olive green. I've seen the old green paint layers on the original seats but had been wondering how to classify it. Olive green. That works! Must have been a sight to behold while graced with that great frieze bright "like a shiny penny"...
    in the yanks front office pre-paint job that color was known as "topping money green"...
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
    Great long lost clip...Reminds me of the scene in the John Candy film Only the Lonely filmed at old Comiskey Park.
    wouldn't be surprised if was the catalyst to be copied...
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Quote Originally Posted by DrBear View Post
    Hey! You! Get off of McCloud!

(sorry)
    very good ...
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

sorry if this has been posted.pretty cool-sox-bombers 1967 at the stadium

Blog Entries
    Looks like there was a Hohner harmonica ad behind the LF bleachers in 1928:

The Babe and family before game 1 of the 1932 WS:

In the photo above, Ruth's daughter is holding a WS program. It's the one that looks like it was painted by Edvard Munch:

Waiting outside on the ticket line the day before the 1943 WS started:

Roy Campanella warming up before the 1953 WS (Louis Dormand Kodachrome postcard). Campy managed to score 6 runs in the 6-game Series, but it was another "wait 'til next year" for the Dodgers.

Campanella had a career year that season (6.8 WAR, his highest; see stats below):

In looking through YS photos, I noticed that I have only two photos of the old Stadium (before the renovations that started in October 1973) that show the exterior lit up at night (especially showing the YANKEE STADIUM letters). Here they are (one showing red letters, and one showing white letters). Does anyone have any others?

Undated, possibly 1956:

From LIFE magazine, May 1, 1964:

Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 02-10-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Blog Entries
    Pride of the Yankees mystery, solved

http://baseballresearcher.blogspot.c...s-seeknay.html

Wow. Thanks for that link, Sultan. That guy really did some research. I can't believe that I never noticed a few of those things before, like the shadow of the light tower and the outfielders playing so shallow.
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

johnny carson "pitching" to mickey @ 4:02...

the hat is ridiculous....

johnny w/jets @ 3:04
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

2002 Yankees pocket schedule
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Old Yankee Stadium, 1966

The original Yankee Stadium, 1966. Photo by Carl R. Baldwin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brookly...n/pool-sixties
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Two more beauties there, YS1923, great find. Hope you don't mind, I took the liberty to put those up as well. Gotta love those old slides.

1742x1198

1742x1198

Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    Two more beauties there, YS1923, great find. Hope you don't mind, I took the liberty to put those up as well. Gotta love those old slides.

No problem alpineinc....I was going to post the others as well after merging the two in Adobe.

The frieze didn't merge so well, however the panorama gives you an idea of what the Cathedral looked like from the subway platform.
    Last edited by YankeeStadium1923; 02-15-2013 at 10:50 AM.
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

14. With the blue and white paint job planned to begin as soon as the season ended, I wonder if these were taken as official "before" shots.
    Is there a date other than the year mentioned anywhere with these? Also, it looks like something was going on with the color of the first 4 rows of seats in the upper deck on the left side.
    Perhaps a lighter test blue that didn't get approved?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stadiumbuilder View Post
    With the blue and white paint job planned to begin as soon as the season ended, I wonder if these were taken as official "before" shots.
    Is there a date other than the year mentioned anywhere with these? Also, it looks like something was going on with the color of the first 4 rows of seats in the upper deck on the left side.
    Perhaps a lighter test blue that didn't get approved?

That's exactly what came to mind as I looked at those great 1966 pics and that panorama. Look below at the two images. One shows a crop from the original photo above, and the other shows the same view with increased color saturation. Look at the difference in the first 4 rows versus the other seats. There is even a variance out near the LF terminus of the upper deck within the first four rows. The Yankees brass might have started to paint those first 4 rows with the bluish-gray seen from 1946-1957, and then changed their minds. The color we see from the 1967 paint job clearly looks like more of a strong royal blue than the shades we see below.

Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 02-15-2013 at 03:01 PM.

16. Yes, that spot on the far right is what convinced me that the difference in color I was seeing had nothing to do with an
    irregularity in the photo, but was indeed a paint experiment. I wonder if these shots were towards the end of the
    season and were part of a final prep for the off season face lift. If somebody (not me) wanted to try and figure out what time of the year
    this might be based on the shadow angles I'm sure it can be done.
    ......I just noticed all the flags have been removed, maybe the season had just ended? With the mound and home plate areas
    covered, I assumed this was taken during the season, but now I'm wondering.
    Last edited by stadiumbuilder; 02-15-2013 at 04:18 PM.

The grass looks too green and lush for the photos to have been taken in January 1967. I agree about the possibility of October '66 just after the season.

Regards,
    Mark

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stadiumbuilder View Post
    Yes, that spot on the far right is what convinced me that the difference in color I was seeing had nothing to do with an
    irregularity in the photo, but was indeed a paint experiment. I wonder if these shots were towards the end of the
    season and were part of a final prep for the off season face lift.
    When we have a clear reference for a mint-like green below the 4 rows of bluish seats (the facing of the upper deck) and above those bluish seats (the other seats in sunlight in the upper deck just above them) in reasonably good light, that to me is a pretty clear indication that there is a real color difference. It's still not a "smoking gun" because the colors of those photos (before I added the color saturation) are somewhat weak.

Love these shots of the stadium i grew up going to!!!
    I AM SO THANKFUL FOR BEING BORN IN NEW YORK AND FOR BEING A FAN OF ALL NEW YORK SPORTS TEAMS

I'm not convinced that the frieze ever looked like a shiny penny, especially since reports from March-April '23 state that it was dark green. This would match the seat color of that time. But that doesn't explain the brownish tint that we've seen in color photos as the frieze ages and goes lighter green.
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Quote Originally Posted by dabigyankeeman View Post
    Love these shots of the stadium i grew up going to!!!
    Me too, except that my first games were '68-'73. I always preferred the clean,bright look of those years.

Quote Originally Posted by mackenzie View Post
    The grass looks too green and lush for the photos to have been taken in January 1967. I agree about the possibility of October '66 just after the season.

Regards,
    Mark
    So have you folks narrowed the test-paint of the upper boxes to between July 1966 (the Esquire DiMaggio cover) and September 1966 (Richardson Day)? Fascinated to find out more details about it, doesn't seem to be much out there. Not something that would warrant a press release, but you'd think at least one scribe of the time would take notice.
    Maybe Red Barber did and that's why he was fired, lol. YoureFired.gif

Sultan,

Can you do your color saturation trick to the photo in post #6661?

I would like to see if there is a difference in color if you are looking
    strait at a section of seats and not at an angle.

Here is another question. Wasnít the stadiumís seats painted the light
    green during the period of time that there were still individual box seats?

Here is my explanation for the color difference. The original individual box seats were replaced
    by curved back seats that were color match as close as possible to the existing seats. So I think
    the color difference you see is the light playing a trick with the curved seats that were never painted
    the exact color of the existing seats in the first place. I just canít believe they would use that much
    paint for an experiment, maybe on a few seats but not the entire box seat section.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    Sultan,

Can you do your color saturation trick to the photo in post #6661?
    Sure, here it is. I'm just using Picasa 3 (free program), and sliding the color saturation bar to the right:

Here's the other one (also saturated):

Closeup of upper deck (also saturated):

Did the same thing with the 1966 photo that was on the cover of Esquire. Not much of a shade change in those first 4 rows (color saturated on right):

Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 02-18-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Here's another one, marked 1966 per source. Not sure if it lends much to the different color argument, but there you go.

http://sabr.org/content/andy-strasbe...ger-maris-1966

Page 267 of 282 FirstFirst ... 167217257265266267268269277 ... LastLast