Page 100 of 285 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150200 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 7103

Thread: Yankee Stadium [I] (1923 - 1973)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob R View Post
    HOLY CRAP! That is effin great! I am literally cracking up!
    Don't forget, Lady Liberty is French - I doubt her legs look that good!

Can we try and keep this conversation to just the pre-renovation YS?

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
    The loudest crowd I have ever witnessed in person was the 1995 Playoffs at Yankee Stadium.....The first playoff game in the Bronx since 1981....And that includes numerous playoff and World Series games played at Yankee Stadium.

Think NYS was louder?
    I never went to a world series or important playoff at RYS.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyL View Post
    I get all that you are saying. I have a question for you. If you had to choose between RYS and a completely new 70's stadium in the Meadowlands (which also means that NYS is not in the Bronx), which would you have picked?
    I'd have to say I'd keep RYS. I think a move to NJ would have been more sacrilegious than what they did to OYS in the 70's. At least the Bronx and RYS are/were readily identified with the Yankees. The Yanks in NJ? To me that's as bad as the Giants to SF and Dodgers to LA, no matter the proximity. The difference is that I'd still be a Yanks fan though it just would never sit right to me.

I'm a football Giants fan but somehow it still bothers me to know that they went from NY to NJ, though not nearly as devastating if the Yanks were to follow suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbyb26 View Post
    My bad. The YES crew must be right. I don't know what I was thinking.
    No, my bad. You were there and said it wasn't so, so how could it possibly be?

Or, how about I and many others (including threeyoda, as you can see) were there to witness it firsthand and the YES crew, who only happen to cover every game, said likewise?

The loudest crowd I have ever witnessed in person was the 1995 Playoffs at Yankee Stadium.....The first playoff game in the Bronx since 1981....And that includes numerous playoff and World Series games played at Yankee Stadium.

Think NYS was louder?
    I've been to playoff and WS games too, where RYS literally shook and bounced, and I'm sure you experienced the same. It was both thrilling and somewhat scary.

Maybe it's a little stretch if I implied that the Minny series was as loud as those playoff games (only because of the significance of those games), and I'm judging by memory so it's hard to gauge, but I will tell you this: Judging by the noise level of that Minny series at NYS - games in May, mind you - there is no doubt that NYS can come pretty close to equaling or maybe even surpassing it. So close that I don't think humans could measure it with any certainty, only "It felt the same."

Look, I was very concerned at the noise level at the beginning of the season, and up to the Minny series, and expressed it. But almost magically it came together - exciting baseball and the newness wearing off, hence less roaming around like tourists and/or kicking tires.
    Last edited by Rob R; 05-26-2009 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tino24 View Post
    I found it in an earlier post. thanks.
    Can you link to the post? I don't know what you're talking about, or how to find it, but it sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by LizrdKng67 View Post
    Don't forget, Lady Liberty is French - I doubt her legs look that good!
    Yes, they do look a little too shaved and smooth, don't they...lol

Quote Originally Posted by toefer View Post
    Can you link to the post? I don't know what you're talking about, or how to find it, but it sounds interesting.
    I believe that this is what he's talking about - a rendering of OYS prior to it being built. It does look very similar to NYS, even though it's completely enclosed. Seems like HOK was influenced by it.

Last edited by Rob R; 05-26-2009 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob R View Post
    I believe that this is what he's talking about - a rendering of OYS prior to it being built. It does look very similar to NYS, even though it's completely enclosed. Seems like HOK was influenced by it.

Ah, thanks. It looks a little weird (the CF part) but I like it. I wonder what the capacity of that thing would be.

Blog Entries

February 7, 1921, New York, New York, USA --- How the purposed grounds of the New York American League Baseball Club will look when completed in 1923 is shown here. The Yankee stadium is planned to seat 75,000 fans and will be the first ball park in the country. The site is just across the Harlem River from the Polo Grounds, and is convenient to subway, including elevated subways, and street cars. The site embraces more than 10 acres and was purchased from the Estate of William Waldorf Astor. Since 1913, the Yankees have alternated with the Giants in the use of the Polo Grounds. The lease on the Polo Grounds will expire in 1923, and the owners of the Yankees plan to have their new house in shape for the opening that season.

Cool pic of the banners:

11 Aug 1973, New York, USA --- Former New York Yankee greats, Mickey Mantle, (L) and Joe DiMaggio doff their caps to the crowd of 46,293 on hand for the annual Old-Timers' Game at Yankee Stadium here. Mantle, true to form, later belted a homer in the left field seats. Present day Yanks were beaten by the Oakland A's.

1938 WS

28 Sep 1951, New York, USA --- Here's the very last pick by Yankee hurler Allie Reynolds at the stadium today in which he made baseball history by pitching his second no hit, no run game of the year, against the Boston Red Sox. It's the last pitch to slugger Ted Williams whose foul pop up was caught by catcher Yogi Berra for the final out, in the first game of a double header. Williams can be seen in the middle of his swing with the ball visible just above the bat handle. The plate umpire is Cal Hubbard. One pitch before this, Williams also popped up, but Yogi Berra muffed. the catch for an error. The Yankees defeated the Red Sox 8 to 0, bringing them within one victory of the pennant.

Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 05-26-2009 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SultanOfWhat View Post

February 7, 1921, New York, New York, USA --- How the purposed grounds of the New York American League Baseball Club will look when completed in 1923 is shown here. The Yankee stadium is planned to seat 75,000 fans and will be the first ball park in the country. The site is just across the Harlem River from the Polo Grounds, and is convenient to subway, including elevated subways, and street cars. The site embraces more than 10 acres and was purchased from the Estate of William Waldorf Astor. Since 1913, the Yankees have alternated with the Giants in the use of the Polo Grounds. The lease on the Polo Grounds will expire in 1923, and the owners of the Yankees plan to have their new house in shape for the opening that season.
    the original NYS design with the straight facade was based on this design

Wow, can you imagine how far the top row in centerfield would have been from home plate?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Run a search for Yankee Stadium on this site for more great pictures like this:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lpeters199 View Post
    Which site?

That's a cool pic.

Think NYS was louder?
    Mattinglys HR was it. I never heard the place like that.

Which site?

That's a cool pic.
    The New York Daily News site that I stupidly failed to upload.

http://www.dailynewspix.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Lpeters199 View Post
    was that when they were renovating the stadium or building it?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
    was that when they were renovating the stadium or building it?

It would be the 1973-1976 renovation because the pillars are black and both the mezzanine and upper deck facings are painted white.

Dennis
    BrooklynDodger14

Mickey Mantle with the fan that got his famous "facade ball" in 1963. Ticket stub from Mickey's first facade homer. Yankee Stadium being prepaired on April 3, 1923. Packed house for the 1928 World Series.
    ..."I might have been given a bad break, but I've got an awful lot to live for."

Quote Originally Posted by Robbyb26 View Post
    Mattinglys HR was it. I never heard the place like that.
    Game 1 was loud. Game 2 was out of control. I've been to every postseason game including and since these and can safely say that its never been louder than right after the Sierra/Mattingly back to back HR's. 17 years of frustration came out all at once on Mattingly's HR. For many reasons, this kind of moment will never happen again, at least in our lifetimes. Don't want to start a whole thing about this, but yankee fans who grew up following them in the 80's know exactly what I mean.

One of the most underrated games of all time. Do yourself a favor and rent it:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/baseballs_bes...lds_gm2_seanyy

Blog Entries
    Lighter version of that 1928 WS pic:

Has anyone seen a major league ballpark with a weird configuration like the LF area in the old YS?

As the photo below shows, if a player hit a ball into the seats near the red arrow, he would have a home run. But if he hit the ball farther (yellow arrow), it would re-enter the field of play, and he would have to run for his (likely) triple or home run. Wild set-up.

Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 05-27-2009 at 09:39 PM.

Lighter version of that 1928 WS pic:

Has anyone seen a major league ballpark with a weird configuration like the LF area in the old YS?

As the photo below shows, if a player hit a ball into the seats near the red arrow, he would have a home run. But if he hit the ball farther (yellow arrow), it would re-enter the field of play, and he would have to run for his (likely) triple or home run. Wild set-up.

Isn't that the bullpen?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
    Isn't that the bullpen?
    In this original configuration of the stadium the bullpen is behind that, between the bleachers and the grandstand. After 1936 yes, that would be the bullpen.

Also, now that I'm looking at it, the 1928 picture can't be from the World Series because there is no bunting anywhere. While it could definitely be from 1928 (or any year from 28-36), the description on lelands must be wrong.
    Last edited by Gehrig27; 05-27-2009 at 10:45 PM.
    ..."I might have been given a bad break, but I've got an awful lot to live for."

Blog Entries
    Pics showing the bullpen was not in that area behind the point of the LF grandstand (which was about 400 feet from the plate) from 1923-1936. That light area was just dirt, and in play:

The pic below shows the Stadium after the 1928 extension of the LF grandstand. There's a red dot on the bullpen fence. The area in front of the fence is still in play.

Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 05-28-2009 at 12:21 AM.

Page 100 of 285 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150200 ... LastLast