Page 13 of 285 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankee Stadium [I] (1923 - 1973)

Quote Originally Posted by TJH1923
    I have a question that I hope someone out there can answer. I have attempted to research the reason with negative results.

If you notice in the picture, thr right and leftfield stands are not covered by the extension of the oramental frieze. I will also provide an example in the next post. The latest pictures I see the ornamental frieze is 1961. I would like to know why it was removed?

By any chance, did anyone find any info.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The ornamental decoration on the upper deck and loge is what I am referring to.

TJH I haven't been able to find any information as to why or exactly when they were removed.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardLillard1
    Another of Ruth speaking to the masses. Frail and weak this is the last time he would be in a Yankee uniform. Mel Allen is at the Babe's left while Ford Frick looks on from behind him. The bat he is holding is Cleveland Indian's pitcher Bob Feller's. Sad to think that the once mighty home run king was so weak he need to have a bat to help him stand.
    How true but it displayed an inner strength he had, even in his last days.
    So weak on that day, needed help getting dressed, putting on the uniform. So weak and ill that he was offered a wheel chair to use to spare him that walk, that long walk in his condition from the dugout to the diamond. He chose to walk out there using as a cane the very tool that brought him all that fame.
    Frail and ill as he was, can't imagine how difficult it was for him, I'm glad that lasting image of him near his last days of his life in his house was standing not in a wheel chair.
    Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 12-28-2006 at 06:59 PM.

This article appeared in a number of the bigger newspapers in April of 1923.
    The article went on to say that the stadium should have been named "Ruth's Temple" since it's only existence, it's use would be a place of worship of the Babe by fans who idolize him. Also stated, there is no reason, no demand for it and..... there will be small use for it compared to it's cost.

They were off, way off, small use for it. All those great Yankee teams drawing hugh crowds.... two Joe Louis Max Schmeling bouts and many other hugh boxing events....the site of the Notre Dame, Army game... you guessed it, that was the "Win one for the Gipper" Knute Rockne speach.... Pope Paul visit in the 1960s.... just to mention a small number of events in the big park.
    Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 12-28-2006 at 09:39 PM.

To my knowledge, as far as I know Yankee Stadium was the only baseball stadium with an officially sanctioned running track built in.

Between the playing field and the stands was a 4 foot wide 400 yard long running track. The track was measured and appoved by the AAU and any records set on the track would be official.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOELESSJOE3
    To my knowledge, as far as I know Yankee Stadium was the only baseball stadium with an officially sanctioned running track built in.

Between the playing field and the stands was a 4 foot wide 400 yard long running track. The track was measured and appoved by the AAU and any records set on the track would be official.
    Olympic Stadium hd an official track too, although it wasn't strictly a baseball stadium.

I have read that they also used it for cycling races as well.

Must have been interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOELESSJOE3
    This article appeared in a number of the bigger newspapers in April of 1923.
    The article went on to say that the stadium should have been named "Ruth's Temple" since it's only existence, it's use would be a place of worship of the Babe by fans who idolize him. Also stated, there is no reason, no demand for it and..... there will be small use for it compared to it's cost.

They were off, way off, small use for it. All those great Yankee teams drawing hugh crowds.... two Joe Louis Max Schmeling bouts and many other hugh boxing events....the site of the Notre Dame, Army game... you guessed it, that was the "Win one for the Gipper" Knute Rockne speach.... Pope Paul visit in the 1960s.... just to mention a small number of events in the big park.

Boy was that guy way off.

Yankee Stadium was way ahead of its time though. And given the amount of historical things that have taken place there its a shame that money is actually what's bringing it down.

You really wanna talk about something not being worth itself the new stadium will be just that.

Deleted post.

An interesting shot. Seeing the place like this slightly reminds me of Turner Field, only better sight lines and less generic. But I'm sure you get the idea.

Richard,
    That is a great shot. I've never seen a view of the running track like that one. Thanks for posting.
    Tom

Hmm... Seeing that shot makes me wonder: Was the reason for the asymmetry of the outfield fence because of the running track? Did they want to squeeze in the track, and this was the only way they could do it? Or is there another reason out there for the OF dimensions being the way they are (and I'm not talking about the short porch in right )?

The knew the Bronx courthouse would be there in ten years and it would be an iconic view from inside the park.

The Yankee ballclub bought a five sided piece of land that was in the same general shape as a triangle. Given the way this piece of land was set up they had three ways to put a ballpark on it without making some type of weird design.

Of these three choices only two were logical. An entrance on 161st or one on the south west corner of the property where it currently is.

I am sure they would have gone with an entrance on 161st save for one small problem. There was a florist there and this meant working around it.

So it was moved to its current location. This could also have had something to do with the cheapest seats in the house then being right next to the noisy train as it went by.

Attatched is a photo from the White Construction Company dated 19 September, 1922. From the L-train platform looking at the Florist and out at the Stadium as worked progressed.

From the L-train platform looking at the Florist and out at the Stadium as worked progressed.
    The #4 IRT platform of the "el" or "L" elevated subway. (the future Yankee Stadium stop)
    Last edited by TJH1923; 12-29-2006 at 07:25 PM.

I can't really tell the orientation from here. Would the stands that are erected be the 1st base line?

Quote Originally Posted by RichmondHillPhoenix
    I can't really tell the orientation from here. Would the stands that are erected be the 1st base line?
    Nope, third. You're looking from center field in towards home plate.

Ohhhh... Okay. I kinda thought that the bleachers over on the left were the CF bleachers. But this makes more sense.

It was taken about where the words "Yankee Stadium" are in the picture below. As the very crude arrow in pink shows, the construction started at one end of the grandstand and continued around to the other side.

This drawing also shows that when Yankee Stadium first opened it was more of an equal playing field much like the Polo Grounds was. It was the same distance to each foul pole but the problem cam from right field where there was a "bloody angle" as it came to be known. Ball would bounce around in there causing trouble for virtually any right fielder.

Home plate was moved forward some 13 feet or so the next season to make things easier and thus putting the dish at its final resting place until 1973.

http://andrewclem.com/Baseball/YankeeStadium.html

The "bloody angle" in right field was certainly an interesting quirk in the 1923 version of the stadium. I also find it interesting where the left field stands end in the vicinity of where the eventual visitors bullpen would be (1937-1973) and then the wall goes all the way back to the bleachers. I wonder if any balls ever cleared that corner of the stands. A batted ball would certainly bounce around in there almost guaranteeing at least a triple. That particular feature lasted until 1937. Did that quirk have a name? Are there any notable stories regarding that peculiar nook?

Actually Mr. Clem's diagram is a little incorrect in that reguard. There was a path of sosme sort coming out from the visitor's bullpen. Refer to post #348 of mine with the arial picture of the Stadium and you can see the path. I don't know if this made a difference at all and I am still researching that.

However even at that it leaves a good angle there.

At the same time that was around 450+ feet away from the dish. Not many players had that kind of power back then (at least not as many as could have hit twards the horrible spot in right). The "bloody angle" was merely around 260 feet away from home plate at its closest spot and thus I am sure more things would have happened there.
    Last edited by RichardLillard1; 12-30-2006 at 09:35 AM.

I keep running into obstacles with all my Yankee Stadium research becuase photos can only tell so much (around a thousand words).

Is there anyone who lives in or near New York who would be willing to do a small favor for me? I need someone to check into if the Bronx has blueprints of Yankee Stadium or if the city of New York does. If anyone can help me with this please pm me. Thanks.

I've been here all the while checking the picture out, and reading the posts ...great stuff! Didn't want you guys to think I left you. the DYNAMIC "roll over" DIAGRAM on Clems page is interesting to check out. I sponsored the page. He has other Stadiums for those who are interested.

In the old Stadium they had the Yankee Hall Of Fame under the bleachers. You had to enter through the Yankees bullpen. A great thing to do when you are a kid. Do you guys have any info on that? I'm going to do a stadium tour this year. I wonder if it's still there?

Talking of the bleachers the bleacher pictures posted by tkd7 are great. All those Hats! I have to pick up that book.

Richard, I live in New York but I don't think George will let me have a look at the blueprints. What do you need? Maybe when I do the tour? - Steven

Actually Mr. Clem's diagram is a little incorrect in that reguard. There was a path of sosme sort coming out from the visitor's bullpen. Refer to post #348 of mine with the arial picture of the Stadium and you can see the path. I don't know if this made a difference at all and I am still researching that.

However even at that it leaves a good angle there.

At the same time that was around 450+ feet away from the dish. Not many players had that kind of power back then (at least not as many as could have hit tweeds the horrible spot in right). The "bloody angle" was merely around 260 feet away from home plate at its closest spot and thus I am sure more things would have happened there.
    Rich you are right. There is a path from the bullpen, but it was in play as were the other paths that are visible. From the corner of the stands to the bleacher wall was all in play. Remember, a large amount of fans would leave the Stadium by walking across the field and out one of the several exits. Thats why they had paths so the grass would not get that messed up. Most fans were going to the #4 train or the D train. A lot of fans still did not own cars yet.

You are exactly right in your earlier post regarding the view from the florist. That is definitely looking from left center. I've been on that platform many a time. I used to go there and watch the progress of the renovation when I was younger. It was awesome and sad to watch it as it evolved from the old stadium to the new (renovated) stadium. I was lucky enough to attend the last game in '73 as well as the first game in '76. I look forward to going there soon and walking to the other end of the platform to view the construction of the new ballpark.
    Last edited by TJH1923; 12-30-2006 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TJH1923
    The "bloody angle" in right field was certainly an interesting quirk in the 1923 version of the stadium. I also find it interesting where the left field stands end in the vicinity of where the eventual visitors bullpen would be (1937-1973) and then the wall goes all the way back to the bleachers. I wonder if any balls ever cleared that corner of the stands. A batted ball would certainly bounce around in there almost guaranteeing at least a triple. That particular feature lasted until 1937. Did that quirk have a name? Are there any notable stories regarding that peculiar nook?
    I doubt any balls were ever hit over the grandstand. Have done much research in the news archives on some of the long drives at the stadium during the early years.

As for a name I know of none. I would guess that had the "bloody angle" been around for more years it would have picked up some names.

Most may already be aware that the entire field was swung to the right after the 1923 season and the bloody angle was now in foul territory.

This field shift to the right gave spectators on the third and first base side a better view of home plate.

Page 13 of 285 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast