Page 13 of 360 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankee Stadium [I] (1923 - 1973)

Elvis -

I beleive this picture is from the year they started the renovation perhaps a year before. Its a view from the pressbox though and it looks wide open to me. To my knowledge there was no major changes done like that untill she was gutted. Although I don't know anything about when (or what) that box hanging from the right field upper deck is or when it was added.

Richard

[QUOTE=RichardLillard1]
    Elvis -

I beleive this picture is from the year they started the renovation perhaps a year before. Its a view from the pressbox though and it looks wide open to me. To my knowledge there was no major changes done like that untill she was gutted. Although I don't know anything about when (or what) that box hanging from the right field upper deck is or when it was added
    Richard

I believe that photo is from 1969, Richard. I might be wrong.

I've wondered what that "box" is hanging off the upper dect too.

Anybody?

October 4, 1955 - World Series Game 7

October 6, 1956 - World Series Game 1

All three photos are from the book "Summer is the City New York Baseball 1947-1957" Photographs from the Daily News Archives. I recommend it to any fan. The photos from Ebbets Field are amazing.

I have seen every date from '69 on to the last game before they closed the place down in '73 for that one picture (definately not that latter as there is no Marlboro ad on the scoreboard). Dating a picture is always difficult when there is such a wide range of options like that. But I have also only seen the picture on fansites about the stadium and never actually seen anything about it in a book, thanks for the heads up.

My best guess is the box on the grandstand is some sort of camera station that CBS might have added when they bought the Yanks and the Stadium. It seems like the only logical explanation to me. But at the same time why would you put a camera that high and off to one side of home plate unless it was for outfield shots.
    Last edited by RichardLillard1; 12-27-2006 at 01:12 AM.

Anyone with good sources out there who might be able to tell me what happened to the huge oak table from the Yankee clubhouse? I know it was in there from around when the place opened untill the late 60's. I would actually guess it was there untill the renovation. Any pictures of the clubhouse would be great too. I can't seem to find any of that information anywhere.

Original plans of the architect the Osborne Engineering Company of Cleveland, Ohio had the Stadium triple-decked and roofed all the way around. An early press release, in fact, described the Yankees' new home as a field enclosed with towering embattlements, rendering the events inside "impenetrable to all human eyes, save those of aviators." - Yankees' website.

Richard,
    The only clubhouse photos I've seen are the typical player in front of the locker type of shots.
    Tom

Yeah, its unfortunate. The interiors of the Stadium are not near as documented as I would like them to be. But then again this is coming from a person who wants a set of the builder's plans for no good reason at all.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardLillard1
    Original plans of the architect the Osborne Engineering Company of Cleveland, Ohio had the Stadium triple-decked and roofed all the way around. An early press release, in fact, described the Yankees' new home as a field enclosed with towering embattlements, rendering the events inside "impenetrable to all human eyes, save those of aviators." - Yankees' website.

If I ever built my take on Yankee Stadium it would be this design - that never was.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis
    If I ever built my take on Yankee Stadium it would be this design - that never was.

Let me know when that model goes up for sale!

This thread should be stickied!

The '37 picture was taken during a game with a packed house, can't remember the date though.

I just took another look at this photo and I would think that its got to be a "ceremony" game of sosme kind. Something like openeing day, fourth of July or even the start of the World Series.

Guesses anyone?

This thread should be stickied! I completely agree with Elvis.

Quote Originally Posted by tkd7

All three photos are from the book "Summer is the City New York Baseball 1947-1957" Photographs from the Daily News Archives. I recommend it to any fan. The photos from Ebbets Field are amazing.

I have this one, among my favorites... loaded with lots of Pictures from that great era in NY.City baseball, Yanks, Giants and Dodgers.

Elvis -

I beleive this picture is from the year they started the renovation perhaps a year before. Its a view from the pressbox though and it looks wide open to me. To my knowledge there was no major changes done like that untill she was gutted. Although I don't know anything about when (or what) that box hanging from the right field upper deck is or when it was added.

Richard

That Box hanging off of the right field upper deck was used for college and pro football. That would have been somewhere around the 40 or 50 yard line. The right field upper deck and bleachers were some of the best seats for football.

Quote Originally Posted by tkd7
    It says 457 FT.
    That's what I thought, and I thought "that doesn't make any sense, then." Doesn't that look like the right field corner though? I mean, look at the picture.

Then I remebered a lot of old pictures were reversed (inverted?). Had something to do with the photographic technology of the time. I know nothing about photography, though.

In any case, gorgeous pics! Thanks for sharing!!

Quote Originally Posted by TJH1923
    I have some more photos to share of that grand old ballpark.
    I have a question that I hope someone out there can answer. I have attempted to research the reason with negative results.

If you notice in the picture, thr right and leftfield stands are not covered by the extension of the oramental frieze. I will also provide an example in the next post. The latest pictures I see the ornamental frieze is 1961. I would like to know why it was removed?
    Attached Images Attached Images

The side of the upper and loge decks are what I am seeking info on.

Another example.

Quote Originally Posted by csh19792001
    That's what I thought, and I thought "that doesn't make any sense, then." Doesn't that look like the right field corner though? I mean, look at the picture.

Then I remebered a lot of old pictures were reversed (inverted?). Had something to do with the photographic technology of the time. I know nothing about photography, though.

In any case, gorgeous pics! Thanks for sharing!!
    I think you have the centerfield flag pole confused with a foul pole. The picture is correct. You are looking from the right field upper deck toward left center field. It is a nice photo.
    Last edited by TJH1923; 12-27-2006 at 11:16 AM.

Page 13 of 360 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast