Page 209 of 360 FirstFirst ... 109159199207208209210211219259309 ... LastLast
Results 4,161 to 4,180 of 7200

Thread: Yankee Stadium [I] (1923 - 1973)

next to casey, frank graham legendary ny sun/times writer...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LDYanks16 View Post
    I don't think that one is #61. If you look very closely at the jersey of the man in the visitors' dugout, you can make it out to say "Detroit," but we all know that Maris hit #61 against Boston. Also, all the pictures and video I've seen of that home run (interestingly, the only run of the game) don't make that day look like such the sun-splashed afternoon in this picture. The box score confirms that Oct 1, 1961 was a cloudy day. A really nice picture nonetheless, I think I'm just nitpicking to alleviate a bit of the anxiousness for the season to start.
    It's funny you say that. The first thing I did was look at that guy's jersey in the dugout, and I though it looked like "Detroit", too. So you may be right in saying it's not 61. That photo was an item for sale, so the seller may have been loose with the truth.

Video of no. 61 shows that while the day was actually sunny, Maris was standing in the shadows in the batter's box when he struck his record blow, while the pic above has him standing in the sun:

Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 03-31-2010 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehrig27 View Post
    Here are some I haven't seen yet: a great view of the ornamental end pieces; Lazzeri batting in 1936 (note the rf construction); world series with bleachers constructed (10-3-36); first pitch of the '53 series; Mantle batting (1965).
    In regards to the 1965 Mantle picture, are those yellow lights in the back concourse from the concession stand?

Quote Originally Posted by SultanOfWhat View Post
    Video of no. 61 shows that while the day was actually sunny, Maris was standing in the shadows in the batter's box when he struck his record blow, while the pic above has him standing in the sun:
    knowing what we know today about 61, the sugar coated commentary from the narrorator in 1961 is funny to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by RfkFedEx View Post
    Damn Paul. You got mad baseball roots.
    been lucky that way...

Blog Entries
    Library of Congress pic from 4-3-23, with zoom-ins:

Great additions to this thread, thanks Sultan.

Check out how the ornamental tiles haven't been applied by that point.

The first picture attached is a shot of some of those very tiles, uncovered recently during the demo. Second shot is nice one of the tiles around Gate 6 (interestingly enough, the ones uncovered by Gate 4 are black and white, the ones at Gate 6, according to this picture, were multicolored).

The last shot is the best detail shot I've seen to date of the tiles around the upper portions of the outer walls.

Richard

EDIT: Okay, so they came out in a completely different order. This "new software" is a pain for attaching pictures.

If a Mod could remove them, so I could put them up with photobucket, I would appreciate it. (Please PM me if you do this)

Blog Entries
    Here's a zoom of the 4-18-1923 ticket booth area pic, showing the wooden bleachers, and some decorations on the walls:

Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 04-01-2010 at 04:00 PM.

Jehovah's Witnesses packin' 'em in 1958. according to my mom (nyy employee), they left the place cleaner than they found it...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    Jehovah's Witnesses packin' 'em in 1958. according to my mom (nyy employee), they left the place cleaner than they found it...

Wow! A full house, plus all those extra seats on the outfield grass...
    What was the attendance for this event?
    I'm guessing it was close to 100,000...

Quote Originally Posted by DN4L View Post
    Wow! A full house, plus all those extra seats on the outfield grass...
    What was the attendance for this event?
    I'm guessing it was close to 100,000...
    from what i remember, she mentioned that some years the giants were also away and the JW's used both ballparks...

Quote Originally Posted by RichardLillard1 View Post
    The two from Pride of the Yankees baffle me. The layout seems to be spot on, but those lockers are wrong.

The movie was filmed in 1941-42, and those style lockers were never in the Yankee clubhouse. Ruth even used an original locker in 1948, when he suited up for the 25th anniversary day on June 13.

However, the lockers seem very small, especially when you look at how far away from the wall/windows they are. I wonder if the film crew had to place lockers in front of the existing ones for filming? This would almost make sense, as the Yankee management probably wouldn't have wanted the player's lockers disturbed if any filming were done during the season.
    Aside from stock footage, all filming of PotY took place in L.A.. They didn't get anywhere near Yankee Stadium.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

Richard, those detail shots are great! are they part of larger images that you could post?
    ..."I might have been given a bad break, but I've got an awful lot to live for."

for all of those who have posted pictures, thank you so much. I've learned a lot from reading this, and being a Yankee fan who experienced the post-renevation stadium one time and is longing to return to the old, this makes me wish I was born 50, 60 years ago. What a beautiful, beautiful building.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    from what i remember, she mentioned that some years the giants were also away and the JW's used both ballparks...
    Somewhere on BF there are pictures of both YS and PG filled to the brim at the same time. I think there were 200K in all; I also think they had radio from one park to another to alternate whenever someone was speaking to the crowd. Amazing for 52 yr old technology.

Blog Entries
    We interrupt this thread to bring you a word from our sponsors:

Tommy Henrich selling booze:

Maris selling cigarettes:

Quote Originally Posted by Gehrig27 View Post
    Richard, those detail shots are great! are they part of larger images that you could post?

Well maybe it is, and maybe it isn't....

Credit goes to flickr user jacqlennon--labeled as being taken in 1960.

Definitely a HUGE picture (my apologies to anyone on a slower connection, but I feel it's worth it). This is probably the best picture, hands down, of any of the Gates pre-renovation. It shows off the terra cotta, the medallions, ornamentation and several other details in a stunning high-resolution form.

Now if only we could find a detail shot like this of the inside of the Stadium, with the frieze, etc.

Richard

EDIT: I found some from the same user, in the same set (labeled New York 1960), of the inside. These were likely taken on the same day, however are pretty dark, save for the second one (check out Mantle in center for that one). Anyone care to lighten them up a bit?

Last edited by RichardLillard1; 04-02-2010 at 05:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    Somewhere on BF there are pictures of both YS and PG filled to the brim at the same time. I think there were 200K in all; I also think they had radio from one park to another to alternate whenever someone was speaking to the crowd. Amazing for 52 yr old technology.
    There must have been little to no fire code regs back then.

Good thing they weren't drinking, or the lines at the troughs would have been a nightmare.

Blog Entries
    Wow, those are great color pics, Richard! Especially the Gate 6 pic (love the River Av & 157th St. sign) and the one looking out towards CF. I'm posting smaller versions below, with two lightened. Unfortunately, Photobucket's photo editing tools are a bit more crude than Picasa's, but Photobucket allows for images larger than 800 pixels to be linked, so I used Photobucket.

EDITED TO ADD:

I went the round-about route; lightening in Picasa, and then sending the image to Photobucket, so I could share a large image. It just "pops" much better when edited with Picasa:

No editing here, just a little bigger image:

Brightened a bit:
    Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 04-02-2010 at 07:48 AM.

Stunning pictures!! I could not imagine trying to hit a baseball surrounded by the fans, the stadium, the pressure...

Page 209 of 360 FirstFirst ... 109159199207208209210211219259309 ... LastLast