Page 209 of 285 FirstFirst ... 109159199207208209210211219259 ... LastLast
Results 5,201 to 5,225 of 7103

Thread: Yankee Stadium [I] (1923 - 1973)

Great vintage shots of OYS, Mygirljess..
    Thanks for sharing.
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by DN4L View Post
    Great vintage shots of OYS, Mygirljess..
    Thanks for sharing.
    Big DITTO!!!!
    Wow. Great candids Mygirljess.
    Thanx so much...

the pix of williams and cash reminds me of waiting for friends of my parents who were with clubs at oys.
    when the royals were in, there wasn't much of a crowd at the press gate - that and some of the specials knew us - we could wait inside (tenace pix) and even though we were just kids we could figure out the "code". if a guy came out with his hands empty, he'd proably sign.
    holding a cup in one hand, me might but only if he stops to talk to someone.
    both hands occupied, no way they just want to get on the bus.
    we were lucky, our family friends would sometimes stop a player etc. to introduce them to us - then we had 'em.
    this all changed in the '74-'76 period when free agency started and the busses were parked behind the bullpens. the only time the shea press gate was used was on getaway days.
    cookie rojas stood out because of his manner and attention for my younger brother who was about 7 in '71. he met larry in between games of a doublegeader in '71, we were using the manager's box next to the dugout and larry was unhappy that the royals lost another game to nyy. cookie walked by and noticed the crying kid in the home made royals uni and started to talk to him, a little later he offered to trade hats and tried on the store bought kids hat that looked like a yarmulke on his head. to this day larry still has the hat and runs into cookie from time to time at the trop' dome and clearwater when he works for the rays and phils/thrashers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. This thread just gets better and better!

what year were these pix taken? '72 or '73? petrocelli looks like '73.
    Last edited by Paul W; 01-08-2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: dupe

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-1949-Wo...3#ht_500wt_951

initial press box, no date but could be '50...
    Last edited by Paul W; 01-09-2011 at 12:52 PM.

A couple of questions

1. Did Yankee Stadium still have an "outdoor" press box in 1973?

2. What was the last stadium in use to have an "outdoor" press box?
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by jnakamura View Post
    A couple of questions

1. Did Yankee Stadium still have an "outdoor" press box in 1973?

2. What was the last stadium in use to have an "outdoor" press box?
    yes and no, county stadium had one that was partially "open". it was used extensively in the "major league" movie.

in the oys box you had to keep track of what was going on, it wasn't far from the field.
    my dad was clocked by a foul ball in '57, my mom said he turned a nice shade of blue afterwards.

stills from "major league"...

Quote Originally Posted by BSmile View Post
    Fun With The Tarp - Rain Delay - August 7, 1968
    I made this comment - probably back in the 3000s(around 2008) - about this looking like the "Blob" invading the Stadium. Nobody picked up on it; guess everyone here's too young to remember the film I referenced.
    RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post

in the oys box you had to keep track of what was going on, it wasn't far from the field.
    my dad was clocked by a foul ball in '57, my mom said he turned a nice shade of blue afterwards.
    Haha. Vin Scully calls the Loge seats behind homeplate at DS "fastball alley" because of the foul balls hit off fastballs that routinely land back there. The OYS press box looked about the same place. I'm sure it got its fair share of fastball foul balls too.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by jnakamura View Post
    Haha. Vin Scully calls the Loge seats behind homeplate at DS "fastball alley" because of the foul balls hit off fastballs that routinely land back there. The OYS press box looked about the same place. I'm sure it got its fair share of fastball foul balls too.
    not to mention tiger stadium also...

Quote Originally Posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
    I made this comment - probably back in the 3000s(around 2008) - about this looking like the "Blob" invading the Stadium. Nobody picked up on it; guess everyone here's too young to remember the film I referenced.
    I might not be old enough, but I definitely have seen the movie and I know what you mean.

Interestingly enough, the head groundskeeper had a copy of the photo hanging on the wall in his office under the first base grandstand in the old place. You can make out some of it in this picture, taken 3 November, 2008.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    initial press box, no date but could be '50...
    Hey Paul, can you post the original version of this photo, or perhaps a link to it. From the looks of it, there appears to be a much higher resolution available given the slight distortion in some areas. If not, no big deal; it's still an awesome photo.

This shot of Mantle give a good closeup of the old wooden bat rack.

different angle during '64 series...

Blog Entries

^Man, what if you had to leave early? You were s___ out of luck.

Great pic.

Blog Entries

You've done it again, Sultan! Wonderful pictures!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lpeters199 View Post
    You've done it again, Sultan! Wonderful pictures!
    Hey, thanks for the compliment, but I swear I didn't take any of these pics myself!

1926 WS:

Last edited by Lpeters199; 01-12-2011 at 10:36 AM.

1965 Yanks vs Indians. Stiched from 2 photos of rbglasson/flickr

Page 209 of 285 FirstFirst ... 109159199207208209210211219259 ... LastLast