Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Most people aren't satified with Pettitte's apology

  1. #1

    Most people aren't satified with Pettitte's apology

    I'm reading that what Pettite said is a very poor excuse
    They think it's the bunk he was using this stuff for just healing
    I think he should of just kept quiet like everyone else
    He gave more power to the dude that sang

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Parks View Post
    I'm reading that what Pettite said is a very poor excuse
    They think it's the bunk he was using this stuff for just healing
    I think he should of just kept quiet like everyone else
    He gave more power to the dude that sang
    He isn't the only one fessing up. The Dodgers just signed Gary Bennett, who also admitted the Mitchell report was correct on his HGH usage.

    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...t=.jsp&c_id=la

  3. #3
    Being Pettite and Clemons are so close and one does what the other does do you guys think this will hurt Clemens denial?
    Indirectly Clemens good friend hurt his plea of inocents

  4. #4
    If he only used the HGH a couple of times several years ago then his explanation sounds reasonable that it was to help recover from an injury. And isn't there a difference in using something "artificial" to recover from an injury. Aren't many injury cures artificial. Isn't "Tommy John" surgery where a part of your body is taken and transplanted into your arm the most artificial thing you can do and yet nobody thinks that is cheating.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    10,147
    For most of these guys it doesn't matter whether they fess up or not. For guys that are on the HoF track this could be devastating. Take someone like Gary Sheffield who is not a media darling to start with. If he fessed up his HoF candidacy might go right in the toilet. Roger Clemens would take a major hit. He might still get in the HoF but his claim as one of the three best pitchers in history would go up in smoke.

    Pettitte has a weak shot at the HoF so this probably won't hurt him that much. And I think most people bought his explanation. ESPN certainly did.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,834
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by clong View Post
    If he only used the HGH a couple of times several years ago then his explanation sounds reasonable that it was to help recover from an injury. And isn't there a difference in using something "artificial" to recover from an injury. Aren't many injury cures artificial. Isn't "Tommy John" surgery where a part of your body is taken and transplanted into your arm the most artificial thing you can do and yet nobody thinks that is cheating.

    That is if you buy his excuse. And if you buy that he "only" took it once and if you buy he "only" took it in 2002.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by KCGHOST View Post
    For most of these guys it doesn't matter whether they fess up or not. For guys that are on the HoF track this could be devastating. Take someone like Gary Sheffield who is not a media darling to start with. If he fessed up his HoF candidacy might go right in the toilet. Roger Clemens would take a major hit. He might still get in the HoF but his claim as one of the three best pitchers in history would go up in smoke.

    Pettitte has a weak shot at the HoF so this probably won't hurt him that much. And I think most people bought his explanation. ESPN certainly did.
    I agree with you. Any small chance Andy Pettitte had at getting into the HOF was shot dead with the Mitchell Report. Roger Clemens took a big hit, even if he denies he ever did it. Mark Maguire is basically being boycotted out of the HOF because he's very suspiscious, it's very ironic that his name wasn't brought up in the report.
    The 27 Time World Series Champions New York Yankees!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    587
    From what I have been told by people who know Andy Pettitte, his reason for using HGH is not only logical, but almost positively the absolute truth.

    Brian Roberts also fessed up to his use also.

    I think the Mitchell report is right on, but only the tip of the iceberg. remember, Mitchell got his info from just two people. there are many other suppliers, trainers, etc all over the country who have not come out of the closet. I think Clemens is as guilty as they come, and is making a fool of himself.

    If anyone named in the report is innocent, all he need do is sue in court for defamation and slander. Lets see who sues. No one in my opinion.

  9. #9
    As far as I can tell Andy Petite did not break any major league rules. He used HGH before it was banned. I do not see the need for his apology and understand his statement completely. Now as for Roger Clemens, he has been rumored to have taken steroids because of the longevity of his career and the stuff he has maintained. I believe that hard work and dedication to the game can help one maintain his arm for so long. If anything steroids breaks down one's arm long term for being more powerful in the short term. So I truthfully see no proof he has taken any illegal substance. ALso, the check the trainer gave could have been for anything. These people take care of many things for these players, buy stuff, take care of errands and pick up people from airport and stuff like that I believe the cheque was for something else and not performance enhancers. Unless proven guilty in the court of law, he remains innocent.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    5,250
    Tinyballer, innocent of what? He's not being charged with a crime.

    You believe the check was for something else? What makes you believe this? Because the guy that recieved that check said it was for HGH or what have you, what do you have that refutes that? Hopes and dreams?
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

  11. #11
    Exactly he has not been charged, but everyone is already talking about him like they are sure he has cheated so he is already tried in the court of public opinion even though it is not proven. These team manager people manage many things for these players and buy many things for this player like an errand man that check could very much have been for a gym equipment that CLemens wanted and the trainer prepaid for It could be for anything. The fact that guy needed stories and names to keep his ass out of jail is enough for me. Mitchell obviously wanted to hear big names and thats what this guy is giving. No one knowes what he and Clemens relationship is maybe he hates Clemens and wants to keep him out of the HOF.
    Last edited by Tinyballer; 12-18-2007 at 10:03 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    161st St & River Ave (by way of Northern NJ)
    Posts
    21,257
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan90 View Post
    I agree with you. Any small chance Andy Pettitte had at getting into the HOF was shot dead with the Mitchell Report. Roger Clemens took a big hit, even if he denies he ever did it. Mark Maguire is basically being boycotted out of the HOF because he's very suspiscious, it's very ironic that his name wasn't brought up in the report.
    Do a search, but you'll need the pro version of Adobe Acrobat or some other "searchable" PDF software. Anything like version 5 or 6 should work to do a search.

    The name "Mark McGwire" or "McGwire" appear on pages SR-14, 16, 22, 44, 60-62, 65-66, 76-79, amongst other pages.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyStarks View Post
    That is if you buy his excuse. And if you buy that he "only" took it once and if you buy he "only" took it in 2002.
    And you have to buy that you have no concrete evidence that says otherwise. Should Pettitte have come clean before the report? Do the rest of us automatically own up to all of the stuff we've ever done? I think some people around here are acting like paragons of virtue as they light the fires to burn all who they denounce as witches.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    161st St & River Ave (by way of Northern NJ)
    Posts
    21,257
    Blog Entries
    1
    Does anyone know if Brian McNamee was on trial for anything? Was there any situation whereby if he'd offered testimony against Roger Clemens, he'd get leniency on something else, but if he didn't, another charge could be brought against him.

    If someone had in any way supplied steroids to professional ballplayers they'd coached, I sometimes wonder if they may be accused of something else.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Shuttle between Long Island and UK
    Posts
    2,002
    Blog Entries
    1
    An apology is not enough for what he did. I used to have a lot of respect for him....
    MySpace Codes

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    587
    Prettitte only tried to rehabilitate his injured elbow faster to get back to helping his tea. If he wished to abet his career he would be using illegal substances for a very long period. that he used for a long period has not bewen claime. He gave a solid valid reason for using, an apology was not neccessary in my opinion.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Manchester, CT...Heart of the Rivalry
    Posts
    1,944
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattingly View Post
    Does anyone know if Brian McNamee was on trial for anything? Was there any situation whereby if he'd offered testimony against Roger Clemens, he'd get leniency on something else, but if he didn't, another charge could be brought against him.

    If someone had in any way supplied steroids to professional ballplayers they'd coached, I sometimes wonder if they may be accused of something else.
    From what I've gathered, McNamee had no incentive to lie. He was in a position where he had to tell the truth because lying about anyone he was specifically asked about--in either direction--would result in a perjury charge and serious jail time. He was specifically asked about his knowledge of Roger Clemens' activities at that time. If Roger were innocent, trying to get him indicted wouldn't get him (McNamee) off the hook if his statements prove false. The same is true if Roger were guilty and McNamee lied to protect his reputation.

    Right now Barry Bonds is looking at a serious legal mess because he was given an opportunity to come clean before a grand jury. He decided to deny the whole thing, essentially challenging them to prove it. Apparently they believe they can and thus he has been indicted. Realize that, like Clinton in 1998 and Scooter Libby this year, he isn't being grilled for what he did: it's for lying about it.

    Pettitte coming clean, as it were, is more about the PR game. He knows he's guilty and issuing a public statement to the contrary would buy him some time, but if he were ever called before a court to repeat those words under oath he'd either have to risk a perjury charge or face the public after saying the exact opposite in a court of law. Obviously his legal council is telling him it's not worth the criminal record, so his agent or some other career/spiritual adviser has convinced him that a quick rip-the-band-aid-off approach is wisest. He has already tarnished his image, now it's all about the damage control.

    2007 World Series Champions
    The Boston Red Sox


  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    161st St & River Ave (by way of Northern NJ)
    Posts
    21,257
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    From what I've gathered, McNamee had no incentive to lie. He was in a position where he had to tell the truth because lying about anyone he was specifically asked about--in either direction--would result in a perjury charge and serious jail time. He was specifically asked about his knowledge of Roger Clemens' activities at that time. If Roger were innocent, trying to get him indicted wouldn't get him (McNamee) off the hook if his statements prove false. The same is true if Roger were guilty and McNamee lied to protect his reputation.

    Right now Barry Bonds is looking at a serious legal mess because he was given an opportunity to come clean before a grand jury. He decided to deny the whole thing, essentially challenging them to prove it. Apparently they believe they can and thus he has been indicted. Realize that, like Clinton in 1998 and Scooter Libby this year, he isn't being grilled for what he did: it's for lying about it.

    Pettitte coming clean, as it were, is more about the PR game. He knows he's guilty and issuing a public statement to the contrary would buy him some time, but if he were ever called before a court to repeat those words under oath he'd either have to risk a perjury charge or face the public after saying the exact opposite in a court of law. Obviously his legal council is telling him it's not worth the criminal record, so his agent or some other career/spiritual adviser has convinced him that a quick rip-the-band-aid-off approach is wisest. He has already tarnished his image, now it's all about the damage control.
    Hey, the good "Doctor BoSox" is always welcome here!

    Thanks. I guess that in Pettitte's case, we had a guy whom I figured was pretty clean. I'd heard about his (and Clemens') reportedly being accused of PED usage when they were both in Houston (2006, I think), but since Pettitte was much better known, and since I'm just another Yankee homer, I figured I could believe him the most.

    Right now, I guess I'll begrudgingly give Andy Pettitte the benefit of the doubt as to whether or not he'd used this only to quickly heal his elbow, which has given him problems over the years. His left pitching elbow has been an issue for sometime, and I personally feel that it's past troubles was the real reason that Brian Cashman encouraged him to try the FA market, despite offering him arbitration after the 2003 season: he wasn't sure that he could last the entire 3 years effectively if given a contract.

    This skepticism about Pettitte elbow seemed to have borne fruit, since in 2004, Andy only pitched 83.0 innings, after 208 in 2003.

    If you say that McNamee has no reason to lie, then your educated & logical opinion will be respected by me. I just sometimes wonder what his reasoning for saying this, since I don't know whether or not the Mitchell investigation had even begun when I'd first heard the rumors around 2006. Despite this, I still wonder aloud if Mitchell had a grudge based upon however they'd parted (Brian McNamee from Pettitte & Clemens).

    With Barry Bonds, to me, he was stuck between a rock and a hard place. Seeing how Jason Giambi became almost the #2 target amongst active players, he'd come clean, had his infamous "apology" press conference, despite not even declaring what he'd been apologizing about. Giambi's testimony was illegally leaked. If they're going to do this against someone who's a relatively small fish in a very big ocean, can you imagine what they'd have done if Barry Bonds said, "Yes, I did take steroids, HGH and some 'designer/undetectable drugs'"?

    With Barry Bonds denying what he'd done, you likely wouldn't need Greg Anderson, his ex-trainer, whom Bonds had claimed gave him the supplements, which Bonds never checked the contents of, being in jail for so long until recently. Barry could've come clean, but then people would say that both his single-season & career HR records would've been tarnished.

    Unlike Vince McMahon's WWE pro wrestling where it's not a matter of who is on steroids but who isn't, there would be some serious problems. McMahon had to stop calling the scripted thing he produces a "sport" and instead focused on the term "sports entertainment". For baseball to maintain its legitimacy, it can't have any of the PEDs, and obviously no scripts or predetermined outcomes.

    Back off my soapbox and onto Andy Pettitte, I do hope that he truly did not take anything beyond that "twice in 2002" thing he'd admitted to, and nothing more than HGH, which I'm already not too enthused about in the least.

    Roger Clemens, like Barry Bonds would obviously have been Cooperstown locks even w/o any PEDs, whether or not they'd used them. However, Andy Pettitte, despite a very slim chance of getting there w/o a bus ticket, has something even more valuable that's very dear to NY Yankee fans: his pride and dignity are at stake, and his willingness to tell us the truth is at the center of this. All I can ask for him is the truth, be it pretty or ugly.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

  19. #19
    Andy Petite does not owe an apology he did not break any rules. He simply took HGH before it was banned. Athletes use performance enhancers all the time they are just not allowed to use steroids and now and in 2005 HGH.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •