Thread: Juan Padilla Re-Signed to Minor League Deal...

Blog Entries

Juan Padilla Re-Signed to Minor League Deal...

This isn't a big surprise...the Mets had planned to keep him in some way. Juan is a gamer and IMO he would accept an assignment to AAA if it were best for the team. Good guy to have in the Minors in case one of our relievers either breaks down or flat out goes bust. Padilla used to be able to pitch long relief, but with his history of arm problems the past two years, I doubt he'd be able to, unfortunately. If by some miracle he could, IMO he'd be a slam dunk to take Sele's roster spot.
    "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
    -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

you can't really expect anything out of Padilla. I did like him too over that stretch of 36 1/3 innings. But that was 2 years and 2 arm surgeries ago. The fact is he will be a 31 year old pitcher with 62 ML innings under his belt. One very good season and one down right awful one(25 2/3 innings...22 ER in '04). Maybe he can regain his 05 form again. If he can give us 36 good innings like he did then, I'd be thrilled. But that is a lot to ask.

Blog Entries
    Rick Peterson has since made some pretty drastic mechanical changes to Padilla. He's still a bit of a soft-tosser, throws 88 mph or so. Good changeup, good slider. I've heard his arm angle will be dropped, but since he pitched straight over the top, that could mean anything from three quarters (highly plausible) to sidearm (unlikely) to submarine (really doubtful).
    "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
    -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

nice to see him back with the organisation
    sorry for some grammar mistakes

Patchogue Ny but my heart is in the bronx
    step in the right direction