X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TL_Dad
    • Oct 2007

14 year old mechanics

This is my 14 year old son, he will be playing on 15u travel team in the spring. He is a Freshman and I would like opinions on his mechanics. I see some things I think need a little bit of work. What do you see?

full speed

slow motion

• RIstar
    • Dec 2007

Ok see a couple things I don't like.

1st try to get him to lift his leg, Not kick it up

2nd have him lift and try to drift at the same time to get a longer stride. This will help him stop the momentum and not continue forward after his leg plant which is lost momentum.

3rd I would have him think don't throw till land. This will trigger the though of stay closed with the front hip, shoulder, elbow and then at last second turn the leg over land and explode.

He opens up his shoulders a little and throws with all arm. IF you can get him to lift and drift and drive harder off the mound into a longer stride and STOP his momentum and stabilize the front leg he should pick up a couple mph.

looks good needs a little work

Comment

• Go Cardinals
      HS baseball player
      • May 2007

He looks athletic!

Comment

• jamesh23
        • Jul 2007

I dont think he's getting his hips open much before his shoulders there opening at about the same time, umm idk though lol hopefully chris can help you.
        2008 varsity stats
        AB-35 K-5 BB-6 H-14 2B-3 3B-0 HR-0 RBI-10 BA- .400
        all stars pitching stats--- W-L= 1-0
        IP- 5 H- 1 BB- 2 HR- 0 ER- 0 K- 8 ERA: 0.00

Comment

• RIstar
          • Dec 2007

Ok the reason there is no hip/shoulder separation is because lack of momentum in his motion to get off the mound farther. He has a short stride and opens his shoulders. In return no stretch is established in the core at all.

He needs to work on momentum and driving farther away from the mound and keeping closed with the elbow, shoulder and front hip till last second and open up and let it rip.

Comment

• CoachW
            • Jul 2007

You throw with all upper body. You get very limited leg drive forward. When you throw it looks to me as if your front leg stiffens too early and you are throwing standing straight up instead of an athletic position with a bent front knee. Your front leg will stiffen right after you throw, but you stiffen it too early and you are standing straight up. You get no hip turn. you need to land with your hips turning and shoulders following. Good luck.

Coach W

Comment

• CoachW
              • Jul 2007

The other thing is your arm is way ahead of your body like what has been said already. You need touse your lower half much more so your arm get get behind your body not in front. Extend the stride some.

Coach W

Comment

• TL_Dad
                • Oct 2007

I agree on longer stride I never really noticed it. That is why I wanted input. I did notice that he is too far out front and needs to stay back a little longer.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X