View Poll Results: Do you aprove of what Omar has done So far?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 25.00%
  • No

0 0%
  • On the fence

3 25.00%
  • FIRE OMAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 16.67%
  • Undecided

4 33.33%

Thread: Do you Approve of Omar?

Blog Entries

Do you Approve of Omar?

It's that time again!!!!!!!!!!
    You must pick battles that are small enough to win, but large enough to matter

You know I've supported Omar the whole time, but even I'm starting to wonder. I still think he is a great GM, but maybe he is more suited toward a rebuilding franchise. Kind of like how Buck Showalter was as a manager, twice he turned losers into winners, but never got them over the hump.

Omar is great at finding obscured free agents that nobody wants (Chavez /Marlon /Castro /D. Oliver/ Valentin) and have them become key players for a team. But I'm not so sure he can fit together the final few pieces. We needed a starting pitcher last year and he didn't get one. We need one this year and as pitchers and catchers report in just 6 weeks, he has still yet to come up with one.

I know it's mostly because our farm system is so weak and there are no good free agents. But in order to be called a great GM you have to overcome those things. I still want to give him more time, but to tell you the truth, if he can't find any decent pitchers who can give us quality innings. I may be on the fire Omar bandwagon by years end.

Not really. He overvalues our prospects and he doesn't get as good draft picks as he could because they follow MLB's "rules" when they dont have to. All he really does is sign big free agents or acquire project players hoping to get something. He hasn't made a good trade since the Oliver Perez one (Castillo was really a salary dump which is effortless). He'll probably never make a big trade that will get the team where it could be.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Quote Originally Posted by NYMets523 View Post
    He'll probably never make a big trade that will get the team where it could be.
    Well, there's many factors that go into a big trade - what you can afford to give up for what you are getting, and the other team's willingness to trade. I share some of your concerns about Omar but I wouldn't say I don't think he'll ever make a big trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Blaze View Post
    I share some of your concerns about Omar but I wouldn't say I don't think he'll ever make a big trade.
    On second thought, I don't think he'll ever make a good, big trade.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Absolutely! He's brought in great talent (a bit weak in the pitching department, but good young talent on the farm)...he can't make them play up to their expectations.

If by "brought in great talent" you mean "threw a big sack of money to some free agents", then you'd be right.

If by "brought in great talent" you mean "threw a big sack of money to some free agents", then you'd be right.
    Exactly. It doesn't take much to spend a lot of someone else's money on good free agents...Omar really gets too much credit in that department.
    ~MOE

Moonlight Graham
    ...one game, no at-bats...

RisingApple.com

And Delgado and LoDuca weren't trades?

Quote Originally Posted by metfan13 View Post
    And Delgado and LoDuca weren't trades?
    They were salary dumps on the Marlins' part. All that requires is giving up a couple guys with a pulse. He never pulled off a big trade like a Teixeira or Haren trade.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he is a good GM, I'm just saying he has done a good job (see my explanation below). The Mets have arguably one of the most talented teams in baseball...why they haven't done much the past two years is not necessarily his fault.

IMO, the difference between a great GM and a GM that has done a good job is "value" based. Billy Beane and Terry Ryan are great GMs. They've found the best valued talent to keep their teams competitive year-in and year-out without breaking the bank or mortgaging their farm systems. Brian Cashman, Theo Epstein and JP Riacciardi are examples of GMs that have done a good job. Although they aren't necessarily finding "diamonds in the rough", they are bringing in the proper talent to keep their teams at/near the top (yes, this means spending loads of cash on players that are severely overpaid or trading away top rookies for rent-a-players - e.g., Pavano, Drew, etc.). There are also those that spend loads of cash and have little to show for it, including talent (Orioles, Giants, Mariners, etc.)...these are the horrible GMs.