Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: All-Time Draft Rematch

Quote Originally Posted by Wade8813 View Post
    No, not yet. We don't know if we're going to have 7 or 8 teams per league. You might not have the last pick.
    ---16 participants would be better than 14, but we'd probably need to find
    the other 2 people quickly before we start the second round.

CLD has already PMed two people, and has given them a deadline to respond, so this should be finalized fairly quickly.

Also, I'm not sure, but I think the two drafts will actually be two separate drafts, much like our AL/NL before (although I think they'll both be using AL rules, to make it easier for them to be compared to each other).
    The Dark Knight is the best movie I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

I'm fine with two 7 or 8 team leagues. One bigger league makes it more of a challenge to find great players. Two smaller leagues allows people to have more glittering all-timers, which is sort of the "spirit" of such a draft, in some sense.

So I see either one as good.
    "In the end it all comes down to talent. You can talk all you want about intangibles, I just don't know what that means. Talent makes winners, not intangibles. Can nice guys win? Sure, nice guys can win - if they're nice guys with a lot of talent. Nice guys with a little talent finish fourth and nice guys with no talent finish last." --Sandy Koufax

I'd prefer two 7 or 8 team leagues. The draft should run a bit faster that way, as people would be less likely to forget it's their pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Willie View Post
    I'd prefer two 7 or 8 team leagues. The draft should run a bit faster that way, as people would be less likely to forget it's their pick.
    yeah we should go with 2 leagues and probably should have 2 threads for each league so it wont be confusing in here and saying "i already got him a round earlier"...

Three questions:

1) Does a team have to field a centerfielder who played 162 games there in 5 years, or are all outfielders considered equal?

2) Are 19th century seasons in play

3) How is Bob Feller's '45 season to be considered. He only played the last moth and a half because of military time.

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    Three questions:

1) Does a team have to field a centerfielder who played 162 games there in 5 years, or are all outfielders considered equal?

3) How is Bob Feller's '45 season to be considered. He only played the last moth and a half because of military time.
    1) i think CLD meant he had to play there 162 games in his career... but he might meant in the 5 year peak only

2) i imagine so, but i would be leery about them cuz most of the guys here take them down a notch due to LQ quality and their rules

3) '45 will not count as it is an exception due to war

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    Three questions:

1.) Any one who has 162 career games in CF is game to play CF.
    2.) Since we only have 7 people in each leage, possibly eight, I'm leaning no.
    3.) Skipped. That doesn't count in his five year stretch.
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

So I should go ahead and pick, yes?

William Howard Mays Jr. (1954-58)
    Hey, this is my public apology for suddenly disappearing and missing out on any projects I may have neglected.

You can pick, just realize that we'll be split into two leagues, and there's a decent chance that you'll have the first pick in the other league, instead of the 8th pick in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by philkid3 View Post
    So I should go ahead and pick, yes?

William Howard Mays Jr. (1954-58)
    i wouldnt pick if i was you... cuz you got a good chance to be number one pick in the other league.

so how many teams do we actually have now?

He was injured one of these five years, and I'm still taking him:

Pedro Martinez, 1997-2001. Of course, if I end up with the first or second pick in the other league, I'll choose differently.
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

I'm pretty sure you're guaranteed to have either the first or 2nd pick in the other draft.

I passed on Pedro because I thought he'd be there later in the draft.

Hey, this is my public apology for suddenly disappearing and missing out on any projects I may have neglected.

You'll be able to get Pedro - either as your 1st pick in the other draft, or your next pick here, since ElHalo should be in the other draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade8813 View Post
    You'll be able to get Pedro - either as your 1st pick in the other draft, or your next pick here, since ElHalo should be in the other draft.
    so you know... dont we have 14 players? is leecemark playing? cuz CLD in the other thread said he got leecemark so that would make it 14 teams so 2 leagues with 7 teams each...

I may get two more people. However, it doesn't look all that great.
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLDuncan View Post
    I may get two more people. However, it doesn't look all that great.
    i would say just stop at 14 teams and get the 2 drafts going...

Quote Originally Posted by The Splendid Splinter View Post
    i would say just stop at 14 teams and get the 2 drafts going...
    I invited them, I'll give them to 9 CST (if not then whenever I get home) to get back, then we'll just start two seven team leagues. If we get more, I'll cross that bridge when/if I get too it.

Blog Entries
    Wait. Are we only going to have one pool of players for both drafts? I'm not sure how well that will work.

I'm sure the other draft will start with a fresh pool of players.

Blog Entries
    Then why did Phil and EH pick guys we hadn't? I'm sure that if there was a fresh pool, Ruth would be among the first guys to go, certainly ahead of Mays.

--I don't think we should be having any players on teams in both leagues. There are more than enough quality players in baseball history to draft 14 great teams without using guys twice. Lets just keep a single draft going. It will be alot simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by leecemark View Post
    --I don't think we should be having any players on teams in both leagues. There are more than enough quality players in baseball history to draft 14 great teams without using guys twice. Lets just keep a single draft going. It will be alot simpler.

I am going on that assumption.

Is it okay to pick during the down time if I am up?

1. Wade - Babe Ruth
    2. TSS - Barry Bonds
    3. Westlake - Rogers Hornsby
    4. Wee Willie - Honus Wagner
    5. DMF - Walter Johnson
    6. Astros Fan - Ted Williams
    7. Erik Bedard - Greg Maddux
    8. PhilKid3-Willie Mays
    9. El Halo-Pedro Martinez
    10. Brett-Ty Cobb
    11. Yanks
    12. Chris
    13. Minstrel

Ty Cobb 1909-1913

5 years
    BA: .396
    AB: 530
    H: 210
    2B: 33
    3B: 17
    HR: 7
    Slg:.564
    BB: 51
    OB%: .455
    R: 112
    RBI: 95
    SB: 67

Concerning Cobb, I would like to mention that he actually ranked second all-time in 5 year WARP I among centerfielders (without dropping any names) by a slim margin of 70.7 to 70.5, but 1) that does not take into accout his extra, unaccounted for bases on the basepaths which are likely to have been the most in history, 20 to perhaps 30 per season based on comparisons to modern players, AND he produced that in 141 games per season, while the #1 guy did it in 151 games, so while his games may seem to be a slight negative, he outdid the #1 guy with .100 warp per game to .936 warp per game and somebody else could slip in and produce in the other games. And again, just 20 extra bases a year on the paths would be another 1.0 warp per 154.

I just want people to realize that speed in picking up additional bases on the hits of other players shows up nowhere in warp values, or any other stat like win shares etc. It can be greatly underappreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by brett; 01-10-2008 at 05:27 AM.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast