Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: All-Time Draft Rematch

Sam ready to draft? Minstrel? When do the windows expire? I have a laser beam site on one player, and I don't really know what I'll do if he isn't there.
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Well then, instead of being so impatient, you should figure out a backup plan...

Quote Originally Posted by ElHalo View Post
    Sam ready to draft? Minstrel? When do the windows expire? I have a laser beam site on one player, and I don't really know what I'll do if he isn't there.

I PMed him right after the last vote, but he has until 1 pm central time tomorrow, technically, to make a pick.

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    I PMed him right after the last vote, but he has until 1 pm central time tomorrow, technically, to make a pick.
    How? Doesn't his clock expire the second the overnight tolling period ends?
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

So Bonds can play centerfield but get credit for his 2000-2004 hitting numbers. I'll keep the rule in mind, but I think someone should have to have played there at least some during the 5 years, say 50 games. If not, that's fine though.

--My thinking is that since we are specifying a 5 year period the player ought to qualify there during that period. I'd prefer the full 162 game requirement (adjusted if the 5 year period was one of shorter seasons).
    --As for A-Rod, I'd be wasting alot of his value by using him at 3B. Being as I drafted Schmidt immediately ahead of him I think his position on my ballclub is obviously going to be SS anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by leecemark View Post
    --My thinking is that since we are specifying a 5 year period the player ought to qualify there during that period. I'd prefer the full 162 game requirement (adjusted if the 5 year period was one of shorter seasons).
    --As for A-Rod, I'd be wasting alot of his value by using him at 3B. Being as I drafted Schmidt immediately ahead of him I think his position on my ballclub is obviously going to be SS anyway.
    Here's the thing about ARod: your window is going to be very difficult to choose. You probably took the best window, getting all of the Texas years, but you missed both of his best seasons (1996 and 2007).

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

So Bonds can play centerfield but get credit for his 2000-2004 hitting numbers. I'll keep the rule in mind, but I think someone should have to have played there at least some during the 5 years, say 50 games. If not, that's fine though.
    I dont agree with this at all. If so, I can put Hornsby at SS right? Seems kind of unfair...
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Quote Originally Posted by leecemark View Post
    At any rate, I want to make sure that I could play Cobb at right field if I happened to pick up another centerfielder (soon). I think Cobb was probably an all time great defensive right fielder and he did play over 162 even during the stretch that I chose '09-'13.

By the way, he had a 198 OPS+ and averaged 67 steals a year during that stretch-plus all of his other non-WARP bases. Even if he is more like a 180 OPS+ in an integrated league, has anyone else had a similar combo of OPS+ and stolen bases over a 5 year period. Just wondering who might be close.

Just remember that there are a lot more pitchers who had dominant short stretches, but who didn't have hall of fame careers out there. Something like 20 of the top 100 pitching seasons in history probably were produced by non hall of famers while only maybe 5 of the top 100 hitting seasons did.
    I completely disagree with you here. I can think of a lot of position players people don't really think of as all timers having five straight 140+ OPS+ seasons. There aren't even that many all time pitchers who have those kind of ERA+ numbers... and, remember, you need five of them.

In all liklihood, this guy isn't going to get taken, because he's not one of the top 14 1Bmen:

5 year averages:
    BA: .315
    OBP: .373
    SLG: .560
    OPS+: 134
    2B: 40
    3B: 9
    HR: 31
    R: 108
    RBI: 131

Could imagine a pitcher with equivalent five year stats not getting taken? I can't. There are going to be 70 starting pitchers taken. You really think the seventieth best starting pitcher is going to give even remotely close to the kind of production Hal Trosky won't be giving anybody in this league?

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

At any rate, I want to make sure that I could play Cobb at right field if I happened to pick up another centerfielder (soon). I think Cobb was probably an all time great defensive right fielder and he did play over 162 even during the stretch that I chose '09-'13.
    IIRC, all CFers can play the corner OF.

Interesting strategy, BTW. I'd just be careful when hate drafting, though. You taking a 2nd CFer means that one other team will be stuck with a worse CFer, but it means you aren't picking a player at other positions that might not be very deep either.
    Last edited by Wade8813; 01-11-2008 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Westlake View Post
    I dont agree with this at all. If so, I can put Hornsby at SS right? Seems kind of unfair...
    So do you agree that they should have played a certain number of games there during the 5 year stretch chosen?

I completely disagree with you here. I can think of a lot of position players people don't really think of as all timers having five straight 140+ OPS+ seasons. There aren't even that many all time pitchers who have those kind of ERA+ numbers... and, remember, you need five of them.

In all liklihood, this guy isn't going to get taken, because he's not one of the top 14 1Bmen:

5 year averages:
    BA: .315
    OBP: .373
    SLG: .560
    OPS+: 134
    2B: 40
    3B: 9
    HR: 31
    R: 108
    RBI: 131

Could imagine a pitcher with equivalent five year stats not getting taken? I can't. There are going to be 70 starting pitchers taken. You really think the seventieth best starting pitcher is going to give even remotely close to the kind of production Hal Trosky won't be giving anybody in this league?
    Your probably right. While there are non-hof pitchers who had a spectacular season, or even 2, there aren't many who had great 5 year stretches.

I'd take Kevin Brown '96-'00 over Trosky though, but your right, there are even some real good career pitchers who didn't have great 5 year stretches. Blylevin and Perry for example are in most people's top 50 but didn't have a fantastic 5 year stretch.

By the way, are you interested in switching draft spots in this round, and then again in the next? You move up 1 in this round and I move up 1 in the next round?

Quote Originally Posted by Wade8813 View Post
    IIRC, all CFers can play the corner OF.

Interesting strategy, BTW. I'd just be careful when hate drafting, though. You taking a 2nd CFer means that one other team will be stuck with a worse CFer, but it means you aren't picking a player at other positions that might not be very deep either.

What does IIRC mean? Just curious what is meant by "hate drafting". I think that CF drops off the fastest after the next pick, and Cobb is still a better right fielder than Aaron for peak 5 in my view. Aaron never had a 5 year OPS+ over 170 (compared to 198 for Cobb) and never stole the bases and I think that in right, he was probably even a better fielder than Aaron who may be going soon so I could have a right fielder better than the next guy, and a centerfielder MUCH better than the next guy, and the other positions do not drop off that fast yet. I'm just considering the possibilities though.

How? Doesn't his clock expire the second the overnight tolling period ends?
    The way I read it was that there is an 8 hour clock and the clock stops during the down time. I understand it, because you don't want to wake up the next morning and find that 5 people drafted late, and you missed your pick, but it would be nice if people anticipated checking in and keeping the draft moving.

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly.

Hate drafting is when you make a pick that may be a little bit worse for you, because it hurts the other drafters. In this case, taking CFers because you think that will make all of the other teams be stuck with worse CFers.

And, yes, there's some drop off in CF, but I don't think it's as much as you're saying. But even if it is, so what? You already have a CFer. You taking one more CFer means that ONE of the other teams has a much worse CFer, but all of the other teams are unaffected. And so what if Cobb is much better than Aaron? You don't need to compare Cobb to Aaron, since you already have Cobb. You need to compare the CFer you're considering picking to Aaron.

So do you agree that they should have played a certain number of games there during the 5 year stretch chosen?
    I think so. It just doesn't sound fair to have the best of both worlds if a player didn't really play a particular position in his peak window, yet played it some other time. I would think such a player would have to play the equivalent of one full season at that position during that time (say, 150 games).

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Willie View Post
    I think so. It just doesn't sound fair to have the best of both worlds if a player didn't really play a particular position in his peak window, yet played it some other time. I would think such a player would have to play the equivalent of one full season at that position during that time (say, 150 games).
    Agreed. I could even see it being knocked down to 100 games, since we're only looking at a five-year slice. But there should be some evidence the player could handle the position during the stretch in which he culled the production that the drafter wants to use.
    "In the end it all comes down to talent. You can talk all you want about intangibles, I just don't know what that means. Talent makes winners, not intangibles. Can nice guys win? Sure, nice guys can win - if they're nice guys with a lot of talent. Nice guys with a little talent finish fourth and nice guys with no talent finish last." --Sandy Koufax

Absolutely. At least half I'd say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Absolutely. At least half I'd say.
    Is that a joke?

Then a player could not possibly qualify for more than one spot, and might not even qualify for 1.

IIRC, last time you could switch middle infielders, so I suppose you could still.
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast