Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 501

Thread: All-Time Draft Rematch

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Long Island!
    Posts
    10,292
    Sam ready to draft? Minstrel? When do the windows expire? I have a laser beam site on one player, and I don't really know what I'll do if he isn't there.
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

    Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,293
    Well then, instead of being so impatient, you should figure out a backup plan...

  3. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHalo View Post
    Sam ready to draft? Minstrel? When do the windows expire? I have a laser beam site on one player, and I don't really know what I'll do if he isn't there.

    I PMed him right after the last vote, but he has until 1 pm central time tomorrow, technically, to make a pick.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Long Island!
    Posts
    10,292
    Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    I PMed him right after the last vote, but he has until 1 pm central time tomorrow, technically, to make a pick.
    How? Doesn't his clock expire the second the overnight tolling period ends?
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

    Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    mariners country
    Posts
    23,570
    Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    So Bonds can play centerfield but get credit for his 2000-2004 hitting numbers. I'll keep the rule in mind, but I think someone should have to have played there at least some during the 5 years, say 50 games. If not, that's fine though.

    --My thinking is that since we are specifying a 5 year period the player ought to qualify there during that period. I'd prefer the full 162 game requirement (adjusted if the 5 year period was one of shorter seasons).
    --As for A-Rod, I'd be wasting alot of his value by using him at 3B. Being as I drafted Schmidt immediately ahead of him I think his position on my ballclub is obviously going to be SS anyway.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Long Island!
    Posts
    10,292
    Quote Originally Posted by leecemark View Post
    --My thinking is that since we are specifying a 5 year period the player ought to qualify there during that period. I'd prefer the full 162 game requirement (adjusted if the 5 year period was one of shorter seasons).
    --As for A-Rod, I'd be wasting alot of his value by using him at 3B. Being as I drafted Schmidt immediately ahead of him I think his position on my ballclub is obviously going to be SS anyway.
    Here's the thing about ARod: your window is going to be very difficult to choose. You probably took the best window, getting all of the Texas years, but you missed both of his best seasons (1996 and 2007).
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

    Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    5,241
    Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    So Bonds can play centerfield but get credit for his 2000-2004 hitting numbers. I'll keep the rule in mind, but I think someone should have to have played there at least some during the 5 years, say 50 games. If not, that's fine though.
    I dont agree with this at all. If so, I can put Hornsby at SS right? Seems kind of unfair...
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

  8. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by leecemark View Post
    --My thinking is that since we are specifying a 5 year period the player ought to qualify there during that period. I'd prefer the full 162 game requirement (adjusted if the 5 year period was one of shorter seasons).
    --As for A-Rod, I'd be wasting alot of his value by using him at 3B. Being as I drafted Schmidt immediately ahead of him I think his position on my ballclub is obviously going to be SS anyway.
    At any rate, I want to make sure that I could play Cobb at right field if I happened to pick up another centerfielder (soon). I think Cobb was probably an all time great defensive right fielder and he did play over 162 even during the stretch that I chose '09-'13.

    By the way, he had a 198 OPS+ and averaged 67 steals a year during that stretch-plus all of his other non-WARP bases. Even if he is more like a 180 OPS+ in an integrated league, has anyone else had a similar combo of OPS+ and stolen bases over a 5 year period. Just wondering who might be close.

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Long Island!
    Posts
    10,292
    Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    Just remember that there are a lot more pitchers who had dominant short stretches, but who didn't have hall of fame careers out there. Something like 20 of the top 100 pitching seasons in history probably were produced by non hall of famers while only maybe 5 of the top 100 hitting seasons did.
    I completely disagree with you here. I can think of a lot of position players people don't really think of as all timers having five straight 140+ OPS+ seasons. There aren't even that many all time pitchers who have those kind of ERA+ numbers... and, remember, you need five of them.

    In all liklihood, this guy isn't going to get taken, because he's not one of the top 14 1Bmen:

    5 year averages:
    BA: .315
    OBP: .373
    SLG: .560
    OPS+: 134
    2B: 40
    3B: 9
    HR: 31
    R: 108
    RBI: 131

    Could imagine a pitcher with equivalent five year stats not getting taken? I can't. There are going to be 70 starting pitchers taken. You really think the seventieth best starting pitcher is going to give even remotely close to the kind of production Hal Trosky won't be giving anybody in this league?
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

    Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,293
    At any rate, I want to make sure that I could play Cobb at right field if I happened to pick up another centerfielder (soon). I think Cobb was probably an all time great defensive right fielder and he did play over 162 even during the stretch that I chose '09-'13.
    IIRC, all CFers can play the corner OF.

    Interesting strategy, BTW. I'd just be careful when hate drafting, though. You taking a 2nd CFer means that one other team will be stuck with a worse CFer, but it means you aren't picking a player at other positions that might not be very deep either.
    Last edited by Wade8813; 01-11-2008 at 06:05 PM.

  11. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by Westlake View Post
    I dont agree with this at all. If so, I can put Hornsby at SS right? Seems kind of unfair...
    So do you agree that they should have played a certain number of games there during the 5 year stretch chosen?

  12. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHalo View Post
    I completely disagree with you here. I can think of a lot of position players people don't really think of as all timers having five straight 140+ OPS+ seasons. There aren't even that many all time pitchers who have those kind of ERA+ numbers... and, remember, you need five of them.

    In all liklihood, this guy isn't going to get taken, because he's not one of the top 14 1Bmen:

    5 year averages:
    BA: .315
    OBP: .373
    SLG: .560
    OPS+: 134
    2B: 40
    3B: 9
    HR: 31
    R: 108
    RBI: 131

    Could imagine a pitcher with equivalent five year stats not getting taken? I can't. There are going to be 70 starting pitchers taken. You really think the seventieth best starting pitcher is going to give even remotely close to the kind of production Hal Trosky won't be giving anybody in this league?
    Your probably right. While there are non-hof pitchers who had a spectacular season, or even 2, there aren't many who had great 5 year stretches.


    I'd take Kevin Brown '96-'00 over Trosky though, but your right, there are even some real good career pitchers who didn't have great 5 year stretches. Blylevin and Perry for example are in most people's top 50 but didn't have a fantastic 5 year stretch.

    By the way, are you interested in switching draft spots in this round, and then again in the next? You move up 1 in this round and I move up 1 in the next round?

  13. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade8813 View Post
    IIRC, all CFers can play the corner OF.

    Interesting strategy, BTW. I'd just be careful when hate drafting, though. You taking a 2nd CFer means that one other team will be stuck with a worse CFer, but it means you aren't picking a player at other positions that might not be very deep either.

    What does IIRC mean? Just curious what is meant by "hate drafting". I think that CF drops off the fastest after the next pick, and Cobb is still a better right fielder than Aaron for peak 5 in my view. Aaron never had a 5 year OPS+ over 170 (compared to 198 for Cobb) and never stole the bases and I think that in right, he was probably even a better fielder than Aaron who may be going soon so I could have a right fielder better than the next guy, and a centerfielder MUCH better than the next guy, and the other positions do not drop off that fast yet. I'm just considering the possibilities though.

  14. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHalo View Post
    How? Doesn't his clock expire the second the overnight tolling period ends?
    The way I read it was that there is an 8 hour clock and the clock stops during the down time. I understand it, because you don't want to wake up the next morning and find that 5 people drafted late, and you missed your pick, but it would be nice if people anticipated checking in and keeping the draft moving.

  15. #135
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,293
    IIRC = If I Remember Correctly.

    Hate drafting is when you make a pick that may be a little bit worse for you, because it hurts the other drafters. In this case, taking CFers because you think that will make all of the other teams be stuck with worse CFers.

    And, yes, there's some drop off in CF, but I don't think it's as much as you're saying. But even if it is, so what? You already have a CFer. You taking one more CFer means that ONE of the other teams has a much worse CFer, but all of the other teams are unaffected. And so what if Cobb is much better than Aaron? You don't need to compare Cobb to Aaron, since you already have Cobb. You need to compare the CFer you're considering picking to Aaron.

  16. #136
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    So do you agree that they should have played a certain number of games there during the 5 year stretch chosen?
    I think so. It just doesn't sound fair to have the best of both worlds if a player didn't really play a particular position in his peak window, yet played it some other time. I would think such a player would have to play the equivalent of one full season at that position during that time (say, 150 games).

  17. #137
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Wee Willie View Post
    I think so. It just doesn't sound fair to have the best of both worlds if a player didn't really play a particular position in his peak window, yet played it some other time. I would think such a player would have to play the equivalent of one full season at that position during that time (say, 150 games).
    Agreed. I could even see it being knocked down to 100 games, since we're only looking at a five-year slice. But there should be some evidence the player could handle the position during the stretch in which he culled the production that the drafter wants to use.
    "In the end it all comes down to talent. You can talk all you want about intangibles, I just don't know what that means. Talent makes winners, not intangibles. Can nice guys win? Sure, nice guys can win - if they're nice guys with a lot of talent. Nice guys with a little talent finish fourth and nice guys with no talent finish last." --Sandy Koufax

  18. #138
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    5,241
    Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    So do you agree that they should have played a certain number of games there during the 5 year stretch chosen?
    Absolutely. At least half I'd say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

  19. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by Westlake View Post
    Absolutely. At least half I'd say.
    Is that a joke?

    Then a player could not possibly qualify for more than one spot, and might not even qualify for 1.

  20. #140
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Through the Fire and Flames
    Posts
    6,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Westlake View Post
    I dont agree with this at all. If so, I can put Hornsby at SS right? Seems kind of unfair...
    IIRC, last time you could switch middle infielders, so I suppose you could still.
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

    "I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •