• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Splendid Splinter
    Sweet Action Bo Jackson
    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Minstrel View Post
    Got it, sorry for missing that.

Out of curiosity, what is the time limit on picks?
    same as the last time... 8 hours with the dead time...
    "Back before I injured my hip, I thought going to the gym was for wimps."
    Bo Jackson

Actually, I think they were about the same because I lettered in all sports, and I was a two-time state decathlon champion.
    Bo Jackson

My sophomore year I placed 2nd, and my junior and senior year - I got smart and piled up enough points between myself and second place where I didn't have to run the mile.
    Bo Jackson

Comment

• ElHalo
      Greek God of Baseball
      • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Minstrel View Post
      Got it, sorry for missing that.

Out of curiosity, what is the time limit on picks?
      Eight hours.

Fantastic choice, by the way. Mantle and Martinez were the two players I was agonizing over.
      "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

• Minstrel
        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by ElHalo View Post
        Eight hours.

Fantastic choice, by the way. Mantle and Martinez were the two players I was agonizing over.
        Thanks. Five year peaks make Mantle (and Martinez for that matter) very very close to the top in value.
        "In the end it all comes down to talent. You can talk all you want about intangibles, I just don't know what that means. Talent makes winners, not intangibles. Can nice guys win? Sure, nice guys can win - if they're nice guys with a lot of talent. Nice guys with a little talent finish fourth and nice guys with no talent finish last." --Sandy Koufax

Comment

• Wee Willie
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by brett View Post
          And I think innings are less important on a team full of good pitchers. As I mentioned before, if one guy, say Pedro has a rate value of say 100 for 200 innings, and a guy like Johnson is a 95 for 350 innings, your next starter after Pedro only needs to be like an 88 for the balance of the innings for you to end up ahead. Rate of production per inning or game is important on a great team because a guy with a ton of innings is only going to take those innings from another good pitcher, not an average one.

Still, I think that after Johnson, the next 8-12 pitchers are pretty close together in value.

I'll add though that if there is one pitcher who gives the impression that he could shut down a team of great hitters, it is Pedro.

Not having to pitch as many innings would make Walter (and some others) even more lethal, though. I still think you've got to take him first among pitchers, but rate of production will matter a little more in this draft than in our general player rankings.

Comment

• brett
            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by ElHalo View Post
            Eight hours.

I had a hard time between Mantle, Cobb and somebody else. In Mantle's case, I couldn't decide whether to go '56-'60, or '57-'61. I'm not a batting average guy, but his .396 for 5 years, as well as his 5 year .564 dead-ball slugging percentage and 67 steals per, as well as a relative on-base percentage of 140+% of the league average, AND his other probably extra bases that aren't in the stat line (probably 20-30) made a difference, though Mantle might have done those things comparably. Also, after the "next guy" centerfield gets shallow rather fast. (actually there are 2 other centerfielders before it gets shallow).
            Last edited by brett; 01-10-2008, 08:25 PM.

Comment

• ElHalo
              Greek God of Baseball
              • Oct 2003

Originally posted by brett View Post
              I had a hard time between Mantle, Cobb and somebody else. In Mantle's case, I couldn't decide whether to go '56-'60, or '57-'61.
              This is really silly, but that's the reason I didn't take Mantle. I was spending too much time thinking which set to take, so I just decided to take Pedro instead.
              "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

• The Splendid Splinter
                Sweet Action Bo Jackson
                • Apr 2004

figured i would tell you guys that i made a roster page for us... heres the link to it... same title as the new draft page but says roster instead of draft

Bo Jackson

Actually, I think they were about the same because I lettered in all sports, and I was a two-time state decathlon champion.
                Bo Jackson

My sophomore year I placed 2nd, and my junior and senior year - I got smart and piled up enough points between myself and second place where I didn't have to run the mile.
                Bo Jackson

Comment

• SamtheBravesFan
                  Braves Fan For Life
                  • Nov 2005

here we go...

Walter Johnson, 1911-15
                  46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

• brett
                    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
                    here we go...

Walter Johnson, 1911-15

Already taken. Go to the draft page listed earlier on this thread.

Comment

• brett
                      • Jul 2006

I'd appreciate it if you guys would list your all time top 20 on this thread.

I will rank players using a point system this time. Some players will be placed, and others will move to the second round depending on point totals and how many ballots they are listed on.

Comment

• ChrisLDuncan
                        I <3 Yu Darvish
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
                        here we go...

Walter Johnson, 1911-15
                        The Draft is in a different thread too, in the DRAFT thread.
                        "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

• leecemark
                          • Apr 2004

--I undid all the stickies from the old project so the current thread scould rise to the top. Hope that is okay with everyone. I think it will make it easier to keep up with whats going on.
                          Last edited by leecemark; 01-11-2008, 09:49 AM.

Comment

• Wade8813
                            The Dark Knight = Amazing
                            • Jul 2006

I'm glad you did.

Do we even need this thread any more?
                            Last edited by Wade8813; 01-11-2008, 10:07 AM.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Comment

• The Splendid Splinter
                              Sweet Action Bo Jackson
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Wade8813 View Post
                              I'm glad you did.

Do we even need this thread any more?
                              yeah we need a discussion, draft, and roster thread. we got all three right now.
                              Bo Jackson

Bo Jackson

Bo Jackson

Comment

• ChrisLDuncan
                                I <3 Yu Darvish
                                • Sep 2006

The discussion was in "Anyone Interested in a Rematch" thread...we could merge the two?
                                "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X