X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wade8813
    The Dark Knight = Amazing
    • Jul 2006

BTW, the list on the first page of people picking that he sent me was slightly inaccurate, so that's why this has stalled.
    Last edited by Wade8813; 01-10-2008, 02:32 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Comment

• ChrisLDuncan
      I <3 Yu Darvish
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Wee Willie View Post
      Yeah, let's just continue. Yanks is up.
      Actually Minstrel has taken Yanks' place, can someone send him a PM?
      "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

• Wade8813
        • Jul 2006

This thread has become too cluttered with discussion, so a second thread has been created.

Comment

• brett
          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Wade8813 View Post
          This thread has become too cluttered with discussion, so a second thread has been created.
          When you start a new thread will you post a link?

Comment

• The Splendid Splinter
            Sweet Action Bo Jackson
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by brett View Post
            When you start a new thread will you post a link?
            CLD created... the title is All Time Draft Round Two DRAFT PAGE....
            "Back before I injured my hip, I thought going to the gym was for wimps."
            Bo Jackson

Actually, I think they were about the same because I lettered in all sports, and I was a two-time state decathlon champion.
            Bo Jackson

My sophomore year I placed 2nd, and my junior and senior year - I got smart and piled up enough points between myself and second place where I didn't have to run the mile.
            Bo Jackson

Comment

• Wade8813
              • Jul 2006

Comment

• ElHalo
                Greek God of Baseball
                • Oct 2003

As to discussing the actual draft...

I think the pickup of Ty Cobb at number 10 was absolutely fantastic. Tremendous player to get that late in the draft; I could see somebody picking him first overall.

I'm very happy with Pedro Martinez at 9. I know people will knock the pick because he only started 18 games one year, but he did put up the greatest stretch of dominance in baseball history the rest of the time. I probably would have taken him over Johnson. His stretch includes three of the top twenty ERA+ seasons of all time, three of the top 13 K rate seasons of all time, the best WHIP season ever (including the deadball era), and a .750 W%. It also, for the "five inning pitcher" crowd, contains a CG title and two other top 4 finishes, and he never finished lower than 8th in IP except for the injury year. Even in the injury year, he had a 189 ERA+ and an 0.934 WHIP (incidentally, the second highest whip of the stretch). Very pleased.
                Last edited by ElHalo; 01-10-2008, 06:47 PM.
                "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

• Erik Bedard
                  all of the time
                  • Feb 2006

I was debating between Pedro and Maddux, and ended up going with Maddux for durability and workhorseness reasons.

Comment

• ElHalo
                    Greek God of Baseball
                    • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Erik Bedard View Post
                    I was debating between Pedro and Maddux, and ended up going with Maddux for durability and workhorseness reasons.
                    Certainly a legitimate choice; not quite as dominant as Pedro, but certainly more innings.
                    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

• Wee Willie
                      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by ElHalo View Post
                      I'm very happy with Pedro Martinez at 9. I know people will knock the pick because he only started 18 games one year, but he did put up the greatest stretch of dominance in baseball history the rest of the time. I probably would have taken him over Johnson. His stretch includes three of the top twenty ERA+ seasons of all time, three of the top 13 K rate seasons of all time, the best WHIP season ever (including the deadball era), and a .750 W%. It also, for the "five inning pitcher" crowd, contains a CG title and two other top 4 finishes, and he never finished lower than 8th in IP except for the injury year. Even in the injury year, he had a 189 ERA+ and an 0.934 WHIP (incidentally, the second highest whip of the stretch). Very pleased.
                      While Pedro had a great peak, I think picking him over Johnson would've been a mistake had you done that. Sure, Pedro's rate stats are a little better (219 ERA+ in his 5-year stretch to Johnson's 206), but Johnson threw 349 innings from 1911-15 to Pedro's 204 from 1997-2001. Even if you adjust the innings to a neutral era, Johnsons still comes out with a much higher workload, which makes his stretch seem more dominant to me than Pedro's. However, Pedro would certainly be a very good ace for any of our teams.

Comment

• brett
                        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by ElHalo View Post
                        Certainly a legitimate choice; not quite as dominant as Pedro, but certainly more innings.

And I think innings are less important on a team full of good pitchers. As I mentioned before, if one guy, say Pedro has a rate value of say 100 for 200 innings, and a guy like Johnson is a 95 for 350 innings, your next starter after Pedro only needs to be like an 88 for the balance of the innings for you to end up ahead. Rate of production per inning or game is important on a great team because a guy with a ton of innings is only going to take those innings from another good pitcher, not an average one.

Still, I think that after Johnson, the next 8-12 pitchers are pretty close together in value.

I'll add though that if there is one pitcher who gives the impression that he could shut down a team of great hitters, it is Pedro.
                        Last edited by brett; 01-10-2008, 07:37 PM.

Comment

• The Splendid Splinter
                          Sweet Action Bo Jackson
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by brett View Post
                          And I think innings are less important on a team full of good pitchers. As I mentioned before, if one guy, say Pedro has a rate value of say 100 for 200 innings, and a guy like Johnson is a 95 for 350 innings, your next starter after Pedro only needs to be like an 88 for the balance of the innings for you to end up ahead. Rate of production per inning or game is important on a great team because a guy with a ton of innings is only going to take those innings from another good pitcher, not an average one.

Still, I think that after Johnson, the next 8-12 pitchers are pretty close together in value.

I'll add though that if there is one pitcher who gives the impression that he could shut down a team of great hitters, it is Pedro.
                          yeah and esp. since you'll have a great bullpen on top of that so your pitcher don't need to go all the way. so in that sense, a lot of the top pitchers will be even better since they can go like 7 innings and not worry going any farther than that. plus the pitchers will all face great hitters so their production wont be as great as it their peaks we picked, but still be very good(so they will bring it down and it evens out maybe).
                          Bo Jackson

Actually, I think they were about the same because I lettered in all sports, and I was a two-time state decathlon champion.
                          Bo Jackson

My sophomore year I placed 2nd, and my junior and senior year - I got smart and piled up enough points between myself and second place where I didn't have to run the mile.
                          Bo Jackson

Comment

• Minstrel
                            • Dec 2006

Sorry, I didn't realize I had yanks' spot.
                            Last edited by Minstrel; 01-10-2008, 07:54 PM.
                            "In the end it all comes down to talent. You can talk all you want about intangibles, I just don't know what that means. Talent makes winners, not intangibles. Can nice guys win? Sure, nice guys can win - if they're nice guys with a lot of talent. Nice guys with a little talent finish fourth and nice guys with no talent finish last." --Sandy Koufax

Comment

• The Splendid Splinter
                              Sweet Action Bo Jackson
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Minstrel View Post
                              Sorry, I didn't realize I had yanks' spot.

I'll select:

Mickey Mantle
                              theres a new thread for the picks now...

look at the posts above yours and you'll see the link to it. post # 82. dont forget which 5 years peak you're using.
                              Last edited by The Splendid Splinter; 01-10-2008, 07:56 PM.
                              Bo Jackson

Bo Jackson

Bo Jackson

Comment

• Minstrel
                                • Dec 2006

Got it, sorry for missing that.

Out of curiosity, what is the time limit on picks?
                                "In the end it all comes down to talent. You can talk all you want about intangibles, I just don't know what that means. Talent makes winners, not intangibles. Can nice guys win? Sure, nice guys can win - if they're nice guys with a lot of talent. Nice guys with a little talent finish fourth and nice guys with no talent finish last." --Sandy Koufax

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X