Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 501

Thread: All-Time Draft Rematch

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Long Island!
    Posts
    10,293
    Quote Originally Posted by leecemark View Post
    --I don't think we should be having any players on teams in both leagues. There are more than enough quality players in baseball history to draft 14 great teams without using guys twice. Lets just keep a single draft going. It will be alot simpler.
    I agree; I think it's probably more fun to go with a very deep league than a shallower one with seperate drafts.
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

    Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHalo View Post
    I agree; I think it's probably more fun to go with a very deep league than a shallower one with seperate drafts.
    I agree too. It is a lot more interesting going down into the 300s on the all time list than just reeling off the standard top 10 list by position.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    I agree too. It is a lot more interesting going down into the 300s on the all time list than just reeling off the standard top 10 list by position.
    That's fine with me, as long as we have no more than 14.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Long Island!
    Posts
    10,293
    Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    I agree too. It is a lot more interesting going down into the 300s on the all time list than just reeling off the standard top 10 list by position.
    Especially because this type of draft -- featuring players with the best five year peaks -- could otherwise be known as the "ElHalo Special." I've got some doozies to whip out later.

    Just a shame we can't use 19th century players. That Ross Barnes - Hughie Jennings middle infield would have been unstoppable in a five year peak format.
    Last edited by ElHalo; 01-09-2008 at 08:19 PM.
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

    Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    mariners country
    Posts
    23,570
    --I was in another all time draft with 16 teams and we weren't exacting getting into lousy or even average players - and we drafted 30 apiece to play a sim with injuries turned on. It makes you think a little more about your bench. Maybe a platoon of the 15th and 18th best 1B is better than the 10th best guy. If we are using 300 (or 350 if we get 16 participants) in is a real exercise in team building.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    mariners country
    Posts
    23,570
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHalo View Post
    Especially because this type of draft -- featuring players with the best five year peaks -- could otherwise be known as the "ElHalo Special." I've got some doozies to whip out later.

    Just a shame we can't use 19th century players. That Ross Barnes - Hughie Jennings middle infielde would have been a world beater.
    --I thought we could use 19th century guys. Its just a matter of how much they get marked down when the teams get evaluated.

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHalo View Post
    Especially because this type of draft -- featuring players with the best five year peaks -- could otherwise be known as the "ElHalo Special." I've got some doozies to whip out later.

    Just a shame we can't use 19th century players. That Ross Barnes - Hughie Jennings middle infield would have been unstoppable in a five year peak format.
    Or perhaps "GD"

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Through the Fire and Flames
    Posts
    6,733
    Since there is one 14 player league I'll allow 19th century guys. I was wanting atleast 8 players per league, though ten would have been ideal, because I want good teams...but I don't want teams that are just insane. That feature five or six players that are top three or so at their respective positions.
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

    "I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,151
    People kept picking because they were confused, not because they were supposed to. If everyone wants to do just one league, that's fine. The main reason for doing two leagues was not because we were worried about running out of players, but because we last time we did this, things took WAY too long (or more specifically, the AL took too long, and the NL took WAY too long...).

    I think we should vote on whether we want one or two leagues. There seem to be a lot of people on either side of the issue.
    The Dark Knight is the best movie I've ever seen.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLDuncan View Post
    Since there is one 14 player league I'll allow 19th century guys.
    I actually would rather we didn't use players from before 1900. It really seems to make thing a whole lot harder when pre 1900 player are included.
    Here's to baseball... The best sport made.

    "There are two theories on hitting a knuckleball. Unfortunately, neither of them works." ― Charlie Lau

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,151
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntaledmarinerfan View Post
    I actually would rather we didn't use players from before 1900. It really seems to make thing a whole lot harder when pre 1900 player are included.
    It would make a lot more research for me. I know basically nothing about pre-1900 players.
    The Dark Knight is the best movie I've ever seen.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

  12. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntaledmarinerfan View Post
    I actually would rather we didn't use players from before 1900. It really seems to make thing a whole lot harder when pre 1900 player are included.
    But those who pick them will also risk that they will not be given proper credit.

    And what about Young? If you use a stretch from the 1800s, he may have good stats, but he may be evaluated lower because of the comp.

    And anyway, a pitcher from the 1880s with 475 innings and a warp of like 15 would be a lot less valuable than a guy with 275 innings and a warp of 10 because the 475 inning guy has to pitch 30% of his team's innings to rack up that value. He's basically cutting out the value of the other pitchers on his team. A couple of 1800s guys would have the second and third best 5 year pitching peaks based on warp I but its all because of their huge innings which doesn't maximize value on a team full of good pitchers.

    By the way, someone mentioned AL rules. Does that mean that we should plan on having a DH in the lineup?

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    mariners country
    Posts
    23,570
    --Two leagues (or divisions) will be easier to work with. Splitting the draft into 2 half would also speed things up and I'd be happy with that. The only problem is it would be harder to monitor since we'd have 2 groups picking from the same pool of players. Guys would probably end up getting picked in both drafts and we'd have to sort that out. Not sure the quicker pace would be worth the oversite headaches.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,151
    I'm fairly sure if we had 2 leagues, it would be 2 separate pools of players.
    The Dark Knight is the best movie I've ever seen.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    mariners country
    Posts
    23,570
    --How would they be divided? You'd almost have to start over if you were using two pools.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Through the Fire and Flames
    Posts
    6,733
    Quote Originally Posted by leecemark View Post
    --How would they be divided? You'd almost have to start over if you were using two pools.
    Two seperate pools as in, each league gets every player in history. Like two Ruths, two Bonds', and so on.
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

    "I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Through the Fire and Flames
    Posts
    6,733
    I made a poll. You can vote there. Popular opinion rules. I decided to have this be a democracy rather than a dictatorship
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

    "I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Through the Fire and Flames
    Posts
    6,733
    Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    But those who pick them will also risk that they will not be given proper credit.

    And what about Young? If you use a stretch from the 1800s, he may have good stats, but he may be evaluated lower because of the comp.

    And anyway, a pitcher from the 1880s with 475 innings and a warp of like 15 would be a lot less valuable than a guy with 275 innings and a warp of 10 because the 475 inning guy has to pitch 30% of his team's innings to rack up that value. He's basically cutting out the value of the other pitchers on his team. A couple of 1800s guys would have the second and third best 5 year pitching peaks based on warp I but its all because of their huge innings which doesn't maximize value on a team full of good pitchers.
    See, this is what sucks about having smart guys in your draft. Not only do they take the good players you want, they also bring up interesting and challenging questions. I guess, that's another caveat. I doubt anyone would really scoff at Cy Young being selected and I'm sure everyone in each poll championships would treat him as a legit ace, I just don't think many would expect him to pitch over 350 innings. So I guess those pitchers are okay, but just don't expect the people voting in the polls to think that they will dominate in a more "modern" context. Does that make any sense?

    By the way, someone mentioned AL rules. Does that mean that we should plan on having a DH in the lineup?
    Yes. However you can DH anyone, so if you want to DH Honus Wagner, that's cool by me.
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

    "I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    mariners country
    Posts
    23,570
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLDuncan View Post
    Two seperate pools as in, each league gets every player in history. Like two Ruths, two Bonds', and so on.

    --Using everybody twice the one option I wouldn't care to play with. An all time draft with only 7 teams is way too deep and you don't really have any interesting choices to make. If it was split somehow two league's would be fine, but not 2 leagues with both being able to draft anybody.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Through the Fire and Flames
    Posts
    6,733
    Cast Your Votes People!
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

    "I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by leecemark View Post
    --Using everybody twice the one option I wouldn't care to play with. An all time draft with only 7 teams is way too deep and you don't really have any interesting choices to make. If it was split somehow two league's would be fine, but not 2 leagues with both being able to draft anybody.
    I disagree. It's way too complicated, IMO, if we have two leagues and use the same pool. One would constantly have to check the other draft to see who is being picked. There will still be over 100 position players picked with 7 teams, so I think the choices will be interesting enough.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Long Island!
    Posts
    10,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Wee Willie View Post
    I disagree. It's way too complicated, IMO, if we have two leagues and use the same pool. One would constantly have to check the other draft to see who is being picked. There will still be over 100 position players picked with 7 teams, so I think the choices will be interesting enough.
    It would be unweildy, which is why we should continue this draft. Who's up next?
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

    Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHalo View Post
    It would be unweildy, which is why we should continue this draft. Who's up next?
    Yeah, let's just continue. Yanks is up.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Earl Park, IN
    Posts
    1,958
    well i hope none of the 14 guys are gonna quit or be gone for a long period of time... cuz the NL draft last time took like several months too long. since we're going with 14 teams draft now, should we actually start the clock now? or just wait til we get the first round done and then start it?

    also how are we rating defense, if we're doing that?

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    5,250
    It looks like we are keeping one league, which is just fine to me.

    Lets get the ball rolling already..
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •