Thread: Betcha didn't know

Quote Originally Posted by west coast orange and black View Post
    only 5 shortstops have recorded 1,000 hits after age 32:
    1,669 - honus wagner (1907-17)
    1,406 - luke appling (1940-50)
    1,245 - omar vizquel (2000-09)
    1,109 - ozzie smith (1988-96)
    1,020 - maury wills (1966-72)
    Wills only hit 657 at SS after 32. He played alot of 3B in that time. So only 4 have ever done it.

maury wills was a shortstop who played other positions.
    i stand by my list of 5 shortstops.
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Then wouldn't Cal Ripken qualify.

Also when you say after age 32 do you mean "32 years and 0 days" or "32 years and 364 days"? Luis Aparicio would qualify under one scenario but not the other.

By your logic Babe Ruth is the only pitcher to hit over 50 home runs in a career. Babe was a pitcher who played OF in his later years.
    What about Arod? Has he hit more home runs than any other 3B, despite only having 220 at the position compared to 509 from schmidt?

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    By your logic Babe Ruth is the only pitcher to hit over 50 home runs in a career. Babe was a pitcher who played OF in his later years.
    Ruth - 163 G at P, 2241 at OF

You've had stronger arguments
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

What about Arod though. By the time he ends he could have about the same at SS and 3B. What would you consider him then, and would you count the other half of his career when ranking him for best SS/3B?

Freddy Sanchez and Adrian Gonzalez had one 6-hit game in their careers, but 0 5-hit games.

Ichiro has 604 multiple-hit games in his nine-year career. In the live-ball era, no one else has more than 581 (Rogers Hornsby) in any nine-year span.
    I never hit a ball for my team, never struck anyone out, never scored a run. But whatever success I achieved as a manager, became a reality only because of the contributions of my players. -Tommy Lasorda

Evan Longoria recently became the first batter since 1954 (at least) to have 2+ HRs and 4+ Ks in a game.
    I never hit a ball for my team, never struck anyone out, never scored a run. But whatever success I achieved as a manager, became a reality only because of the contributions of my players. -Tommy Lasorda

The Giants are now 1-8 in the opening game of a road trip and have scored all of 22 runs in those 9 games.
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

utter chaos: Then wouldn't Cal Ripken qualify.

sure. let's make it six shortstops, then.
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

bob: By your logic Babe Ruth is the only pitcher to hit over 50 home runs in a career. Babe was a pitcher who played OF in his later years.

or maybe it's:
    "ruth was an outfielder who pitched in his early years."

Quote Originally Posted by Utter Chaos View Post
    Hoyt Wilhelm had 0 home runs for 20 years in a row.
    Hoyt Wilhelm hit a home run in his first Major League at-bat, played for 22 years, and never hit another one.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    Hoyt Wilhelm hit a home run in his first Major League at-bat, played for 22 years, and never hit another one.
    Hoyt Wilhelm only played 21 years. http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ilheho01.shtml

His first year he had one home run. The next 20 he had 0 each year. The person was wondering who had the record for the most consecutive years with the same number of homers and my response was Wilhelm with 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Utter Chaos View Post
    Hoyt Wilhelm only played 21 years. http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ilheho01.shtml

His first year he had one home run. The next 20 he had 0 each year. The person was wondering who had the record for the most consecutive years with the same number of homers and my response was Wilhelm with 20.
    OK, 21 years. My point was the irony of hitting a home run in his 1st AB, then never hitting another one, not to dispute what you posted.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    OK, 21 years. My point was the irony of hitting a home run in his 1st AB, then never hitting another one, not to dispute what you posted.
    There are a couple of similar stats associated with Wilhelm that are often stretched into legend. You'll sometimes hear/read that he hit the only triple of his career in his 2nd at-bat, but it was actually during his 2nd year, in 1953. You'll also sometimes hear/read that he threw a no-hitter in his first start, in 1958, but that's also not true, he both started and relieved that year for Cleveland, then was traded to Baltimore where he did the same. His no-hitter did come in his first start against the Yankees, and was the last one thrown at them until the Astros did it with 6 pitchers a few years ago.

Wilhelm is quite the oddity guy, his 21-year tenure is pretty well known, but most don't realize he didn't debut until the age of 28, so ranks as one of the oldest MLB players ever by pitching until just before he turned 49. Earned a Purple Heart in WWII. Oh, yeah, and he threw the knuckleball...
    Life is complex, it has both real and imaginary parts.

The 1994 MVP's, Frank Thomas and Jeff Bagwell were born on the same day (May 27, 1968).

only 5 shortstops have recorded 1,000 hits after age 32:
    1,669 - honus wagner (1907-17)
    1,406 - luke appling (1940-50)
    1,245 - omar vizquel (2000-09)
    1,109 - ozzie smith (1988-96)
    1,020 - maury wills (1966-72)
    If you do a play index search at BR, Luis Aparicio had 1175 H after the age of 32 at shortstop, and if you count- as you do with Wills- shortstops who played other positions, then Rabbit Maranville, Dave Conception, Pee Wee Reese, Alvin Dark and Barry Larkin all come up on the list too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie View Post

Wilhelm is quite the oddity guy, his 21-year tenure is pretty well known, but most don't realize he didn't debut until the age of 28, so ranks as one of the oldest MLB players ever by pitching until just before he turned 49. Earned a Purple Heart in WWII. Oh, yeah, and he threw the knuckleball...
    Wilhelm had five straight seasons with an ERA under 2.00... in his forties! I can't even think of another reliever who had five straight under 2.00 ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzaldrin View Post
    Wilhelm had five straight seasons with an ERA under 2.00... in his forties! I can't even think of another reliever who had five straight under 2.00 ever.
    To make it more fair, he had five straight seasons with an ERA+ of 173 or better. Mario is so close
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Fair enough. And only twice in his career did Wilhelm have enough innings to qualify for the ERA title and both times he won it, once in each league.

buzzaldrin: If you do a play index search at BR...

thanx. except, what is "BR" and what is "index search"?

buzzaldrin: If you do a play index search at BR...

thanx. except, what is "BR" and what is "index search"?
    BR is

http://www.baseball-reference.com/

generically an index search is this

http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/

and specifically, you're looking at something like this

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...pcanada=&pusa=

Funny that Eddie Joost is the only shortstop ever to have over 100 HR after the age of 32. Wouldn't have guessed that.

the only player in history to have a walk off inside the park grand slam was Roberto CLemente
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast