Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Betcha didn't know

Quote Originally Posted by Utter Chaos View Post
    Hoyt Wilhelm had 0 home runs for 20 years in a row.
    Hoyt Wilhelm hit a home run in his first Major League at-bat, played for 22 years, and never hit another one.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    Hoyt Wilhelm hit a home run in his first Major League at-bat, played for 22 years, and never hit another one.
    Hoyt Wilhelm only played 21 years. http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ilheho01.shtml

His first year he had one home run. The next 20 he had 0 each year. The person was wondering who had the record for the most consecutive years with the same number of homers and my response was Wilhelm with 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Utter Chaos View Post
    Hoyt Wilhelm only played 21 years. http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ilheho01.shtml

His first year he had one home run. The next 20 he had 0 each year. The person was wondering who had the record for the most consecutive years with the same number of homers and my response was Wilhelm with 20.
    OK, 21 years. My point was the irony of hitting a home run in his 1st AB, then never hitting another one, not to dispute what you posted.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    OK, 21 years. My point was the irony of hitting a home run in his 1st AB, then never hitting another one, not to dispute what you posted.
    There are a couple of similar stats associated with Wilhelm that are often stretched into legend. You'll sometimes hear/read that he hit the only triple of his career in his 2nd at-bat, but it was actually during his 2nd year, in 1953. You'll also sometimes hear/read that he threw a no-hitter in his first start, in 1958, but that's also not true, he both started and relieved that year for Cleveland, then was traded to Baltimore where he did the same. His no-hitter did come in his first start against the Yankees, and was the last one thrown at them until the Astros did it with 6 pitchers a few years ago.

Wilhelm is quite the oddity guy, his 21-year tenure is pretty well known, but most don't realize he didn't debut until the age of 28, so ranks as one of the oldest MLB players ever by pitching until just before he turned 49. Earned a Purple Heart in WWII. Oh, yeah, and he threw the knuckleball...
    Life is complex, it has both real and imaginary parts.

The 1994 MVP's, Frank Thomas and Jeff Bagwell were born on the same day (May 27, 1968).

Quote Originally Posted by west coast orange and black View Post
    only 5 shortstops have recorded 1,000 hits after age 32:
    1,669 - honus wagner (1907-17)
    1,406 - luke appling (1940-50)
    1,245 - omar vizquel (2000-09)
    1,109 - ozzie smith (1988-96)
    1,020 - maury wills (1966-72)
    If you do a play index search at BR, Luis Aparicio had 1175 H after the age of 32 at shortstop, and if you count- as you do with Wills- shortstops who played other positions, then Rabbit Maranville, Dave Conception, Pee Wee Reese, Alvin Dark and Barry Larkin all come up on the list too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie View Post

Wilhelm is quite the oddity guy, his 21-year tenure is pretty well known, but most don't realize he didn't debut until the age of 28, so ranks as one of the oldest MLB players ever by pitching until just before he turned 49. Earned a Purple Heart in WWII. Oh, yeah, and he threw the knuckleball...
    Wilhelm had five straight seasons with an ERA under 2.00... in his forties! I can't even think of another reliever who had five straight under 2.00 ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzaldrin View Post
    Wilhelm had five straight seasons with an ERA under 2.00... in his forties! I can't even think of another reliever who had five straight under 2.00 ever.
    To make it more fair, he had five straight seasons with an ERA+ of 173 or better. Mario is so close
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Fair enough. And only twice in his career did Wilhelm have enough innings to qualify for the ERA title and both times he won it, once in each league.

buzzaldrin: If you do a play index search at BR...

thanx. except, what is "BR" and what is "index search"?
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Quote Originally Posted by west coast orange and black View Post
    buzzaldrin: If you do a play index search at BR...

thanx. except, what is "BR" and what is "index search"?
    BR is

http://www.baseball-reference.com/

generically an index search is this

http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/

and specifically, you're looking at something like this

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...pcanada=&pusa=
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Funny that Eddie Joost is the only shortstop ever to have over 100 HR after the age of 32. Wouldn't have guessed that.

the only player in history to have a walk off inside the park grand slam was Roberto CLemente
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

really? Even before 1910 or so? That's pretty impressove then. Delahanty never did it? Or Tommy Leach? I don't really know how to look that up, but the Clemente thing is a cool piece of trivia if true.

really? Even before 1910 or so? That's pretty impressove then. Delahanty never did it? Or Tommy Leach? I don't really know how to look that up, but the Clemente thing is a cool piece of trivia if true.
    from wikipedia.com

He became the only player to date to hit a walk-off inside-the-park grand slam in Major League Baseball history on July 25, 1956, connecting off the Chicago Cubs' Jim Brosnan in the bottom of the ninth inning in a 98 Pirates victory at Forbes Field.
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

According to research by the Elias Sports Bureau, Giants RHP Bob Howry is the first pitcher in major league history to allow three game-ending homers to rookies in his career and Howry's allowed all of them this season, to St. Louis' Colby Rasmus on July 1, Pittsburgh's Garrett Jones on July 17 and Cincinnati's Drew Stubbs on Thursday

The Rockies are the seventh team in major league history to go 15 games over .500 after being as many as a dozen under .500 in one season.

the san francisco giants are the only team in the national league to have a winning record against each of the other 15 clubs in the league.
    (games since 1901)
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

rmb: http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...pcanada=&pusa=

thanx, dude. but that's too crazy!
    i'd rather work on my scooter's carburetor!
    Last edited by west coast orange and black; 08-23-2009 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    The Rockies are the seventh team in major league history to go 15 games over .500 after being as many as a dozen under .500 in one season.
    Weren't the Astros in 2005 the only team that had been under .500 by 15 games to go to the series?

rockies catcher chris ianetta has faced tim lincecum 17 times and has reached base 14 times

Angel Pagan hit a leadoff inside-the-park HR today. I think the last player to do that was Curtis Granderson in 8/26/2007.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...00708260.shtml

Anybody knows for sure?

Weren't the Astros in 2005 the only team that had been under .500 by 15 games to go to the series?
    The 1914 Braves

In 9 of Barry Zito's 25 starts this year, he has been supported with ZERO runs

The 1928 Boston Braves played 9 straight doubleheaders.

Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast