Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Betcha didn't know

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    Ted Williams played in Fenway, DImaggio played in Yankee Stadium
    Do we have to carry that debate into the Trivia Forum of all places, Roy?

ipitch was simply sharing a neat little piece of trivia, which would be very suprising to most people. Fact: Williams had a better batting average than Dimaggio during Dimaggio's 56 game hitting streak - how or why is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    Do we have to carry that debate into the Trivia Forum of all places, Roy?

ipitch was simply sharing a neat little piece of trivia, which would be very suprising to most people. Fact: Williams had a better batting average than Dimaggio during Dimaggio's 56 game hitting streak - how or why is irrelevant.
    it isnt that amazing since you only need 1 hit to keep the streak going and Williams out hit DiMaggio by 49 points that year

BTW DiMaggio outhit Williams career in road games so it IS relevant
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

Blog Entries
    it isnt that amazing since you only need 1 hit to keep the streak going and Williams out hit DiMaggio by 49 points that year

This is the Trivia section, so no. Carry on.

I'm not going to get into a debate now, it would be kind of hypocritical on my part.

The trivia section is a perfect escape from the endless debating and one-upping that takes place in the other sub-forums.
    Last edited by GiambiJuice; 10-03-2012 at 03:02 PM.

With his hit today, Marco Scutaro becomes the third Giant with a 20 game hitting streak this year

This is the first time this has happened for a Giants team since 1918
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

It's more relevant that Williams outhit DiMaggio in road games in 1941.

Cal Ripken Jr. saw his streak of 8243 consecutive innings played come to an end on September 14th, 1987. Replacing him in the eighth inning that night was none other than Ron Washington. The Orioles lost 18-3 in Toronto as the Blue Jays hit ten homers.

Ted Williams played in Fenway, DImaggio played in Yankee Stadium
    Actually, I DID know that.

According to the TBS broadcasters, the Giants Reds series is the first one in 72 years that had both teams use the exact same lineup and positions for the starting 8 for 3 straight games

Very cool tidbit, 9RoyHobbsRF. Wonder how they found that out?
    Born to an age where horror has become commonplace, where tragedy has, by its monotonous repetition, become a parody of sorrow, we need to fence off a few parks where humans try to be fair, where skill has some hope of reward, [and] where absurdity has a harder time than usual getting a ticket." -- Thomas Boswell, 1984

Ryan Vogelsong became the first Giant P to get an extra base hit in the post season since 1924

Al Benton is the only pitcher to have faced both Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle.Benton is also the only player to have two sacrifice bunts in the same inning.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
    Al Benton is the only pitcher to have faced both Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle.Benton is also the only player to have two sacrifice bunts in the same inning.
    Depending on whom you ask, Satchel Paige might've faced Babe Ruth at some point. He definitely faced Mantle in the Major Leagues, and Mantle got the best of that matchup, batting .800 (4 for 5).

Depending on whom you ask, Satchel Paige might've faced Babe Ruth at some point. He definitely faced Mantle in the Major Leagues, and Mantle got the best of that matchup, batting .800 (4 for 5).
    I need to qualify my statement to say that Benton was the only pitcher in an official Major League game.I remember Buck O`Neil stating that Satchel did face the Babe in an exhibition game in Chicago around 1938(long after Ruth had retired).O`Neil said that Ruth hit a monster blast to center his first time up.Buck said that was probably the only time in his life Satchel was speechless as he silently watched the flight of the blast.

In 1906, Red Sox pitcher Joe Harris performs the unusual feat of umpiring and playing on consecutive days. On August 23, St. Louis and Boston were set to play a game in Boston, with Winter pitching for Boston and Powell for St. Louis. No umpire turned up, so Harris was pressed into service as the base umpire. St. Louis won the game, 3-1. Harris pitched the next day, losing his 17th game of the year.
    "You can't hit what you can't see" - Walter "Big Train" Johnson

The record for the most hits in a MLB game by a player who didn’t start the game is held by Tom Paciorek, of the Chicago White Sox.
    Coming into the May 8, 1984 game against the Milwaukee Brewers as a replacement left fielder, Paciorek recorded 5 hits in 9 at-bats during the 25-inning marathon.
    "You can't hit what you can't see" - Walter "Big Train" Johnson

Mack Jones played ten seasons in the majors, posting a good 120 Adjusted OPS+. With a home run off Nelson Briles on April 14, 1969, Jones hit the first ever home run in major league baseball in Canada - in fact the first ever hit outside of the United States.
    Your Second Base Coach
    That number "WAR" does NOT measure wins above replacement. I am not sure what it measures, but it sure isn't the value between a player and his back-up. The final number certainly does not measure what the name suggests.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5hCIvMule0

Blog Entries
    In his first full season, Carlton Fisk tied for the league lead in triples. No catcher has led the league in that category since.

I'm not sure if any catcher did it before him...

In his first full season, Carlton Fisk tied for the league lead in triples. No catcher has led the league in that category since.

Tim McCarver in 1966 led the NL outright with 13, one more than teammate Lou Brock.
    "Heck, all I got was a $100 check. I should have kept it and framed it, but I had to eat".

Infielder Bob Hegman, when asked if he received a World Series ring for playing one inning of one game with the World
    Champion 1985 Kansas City Royals.

Buck Ewing
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Quote Originally Posted by Spindlebrook View Post
    Tim McCarver in 1966 led the NL outright with 13, one more than teammate Lou Brock.
    Yep,as a matter of fact he led the Majors that year.

If 1884 counts, Ewing led the NL with 20 that year.
    Born to an age where horror has become commonplace, where tragedy has, by its monotonous repetition, become a parody of sorrow, we need to fence off a few parks where humans try to be fair, where skill has some hope of reward, [and] where absurdity has a harder time than usual getting a ticket." -- Thomas Boswell, 1984

While pitching in the minor leagues in 1923, Iron Joe McGinnity went 15-12 in 42 appearances...at the age of 52. He tossed 206 innings and allowed only 44 walks.
    Check out my stuff for sale on eBay! Currently for sale: Lots of Joey Votto, Jered Weaver and Tim Lincecum! 50 card rookie lot! Autos of Chad Huffman and Greg Reynolds! Tom Glavine insert!

My website...
    My other website...
    My other, other website...

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtipper View Post
    While pitching in the minor leagues in 1923, Iron Joe McGinnity went 15-12 in 42 appearances...at the age of 52. He tossed 206 innings and allowed only 44 walks.
    I always thought he died at a young age. Never knew he pitched so long.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Blog Entries
    Don Kolloway is the only player on record with 2 home runs and 4 stolen bases in a single game. In fact no other player on record even had 2 home runs and 3 stolen bases in the same game.

Kolloway finished with totals of 29 home runs and and 76 stolen bases in his 12 year career.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...94106280.shtml

The last time a batter led the league in slugging percentage with a mark below .500 was 1945, when Snuffy Stirnweiss paced the AL with a .476 percentage.
    Check out my stuff for sale on eBay! Currently for sale: Lots of Joey Votto, Jered Weaver and Tim Lincecum! 50 card rookie lot! Autos of Chad Huffman and Greg Reynolds! Tom Glavine insert!

My website...
    My other website...
    My other, other website...

Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast