Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • west coast orange and black
    • Aug 2004

don baylor was the first player to be caught stealing twice in the same inning... and the second cs was an attempt of home.
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

• RuthMayBond
      Out in LF (Bartman of BBF
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
      There have been 16 primarily 20th century players whose standard name had three letters in the first name and 6 letters in the last name (4 primarily 19th century players) who made the Hall Of Fame.

Of those 16, 7 were pitchers, 1 was a catcher, 8 were infielders, but zero were outfielders

the roster:

Jim Hunter
      Bob Feller
      Bob Gibson
      Tom Seaver
      Jim Palmer
      Don Sutton
      Vic Willis
      Ray Schalk
      Lou Gehrig
      Nap Lajoie
      Joe Gordon
      Joe Tinker
      Joe Sewell
      Joe Morgan
      Cal Ripken
      Joe Cronin

in addition: the following players receive an honorable mention for winning ROY or MVP or CY:
      Don Baylor
      Bob Horner
      Ron Guidry
      Bob Turley
      Pat Zachry
      Ron Hansen
      Ron Kittle
      Tim Salmon
      Ben Grieve
      Now THAT is trivia(l?)
      Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
      Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

• SteveJRogers
        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Trivia Guy View Post
        The National League is undefeated in extra-inning All-Star games. They are 9-0-1.
        NOT any more!
        NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
        Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
        Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

• Aug 2004

in 1966 phil regan started out 1-4 with the tigers, then went 14-1 with a 1.62 for the remaining season after being traded to the hated dodgers.
          "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

• RuthMayBond
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by west coast orange and black View Post
            in 1966 phil regan started out 1-4 with the tigers, then went 14-1 with a 1.62 for the remaining season after being traded to the hated dodgers.
            Paging RoyHobbs
            Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

• ipitch
              • Sep 2007

From the Ripley's Believe-It-Or-Not file...

Only five players have ever hit their first 13 career HRs (or more) at the same ballpark. ALL FIVE OF THEM did it at the Polo Grounds.

This might not be true for long because Ryan Theriot currently has 12 HRs at Wrigley, and none elsewhere.

Comment

• Utter Chaos
                • Sep 2003

Roy Halladay is now 16-5 against the Yankees. That's the second best record based on 20 decisions. The best record belongs to some guy name Ruth. The Bambino was 17-5 against the Yankees before joining them in 1920.

Comment

• Aug 2004

benny kauff is the only player banned from baseball for reasons other than gambling. he was banned by commissioner kenesaw mountain landis for his part in an auto theft ring... even though he was acquitted of the charges against him.

kauff also has the distinction of being the only player in the 20th century to be picked off first base three times in one game.

Comment

• Ubiquitous
                    stats moderator
                    • Aug 2005

That is actually incorrect.

Dickie Kerr, the brightspot of the 1919 World Series, was banned from baseball and he was banned over a salary dispute. Other players banned for similar salary disputes:
                    Heinie Groh
                    Joe Harris
                    Ray Fisher
                    Phil Douglas
                    Oscar Walker

Other players for other reasons:
                    Fergie Jenkins
                    Mickey Mantle
                    Willie Mays
                    Steve Howe
                    George Steinbrenner
                    Marge Schott
                    Jack O'Connor
                    Harry Howell
                    Horace Fogel

Also several players after WWII were banned because of their involvement in the Mexican League but were reinstated when MLB lost their case.
                    Last edited by Ubiquitous; 05-14-2009, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• RuthMayBond
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
                      That is actually incorrect.

Dickey Kerr, the brightspot of the 1919 World Series, was banned from baseball and he was banned over a salary dispute.
                      But apparently only a temporary ban? He came back in 1925

Comment

• RuthMayBond
                        • Jan 2004

benny kauff is the only player banned from baseball for reasons other than gambling. he was banned by commissioner kenesaw mountain landis for his part in an auto theft ring... even though he was acquitted of the charges against him.

kauff also has the distinction of being the only player in the 20th century to be picked off first base three times in one game.
                        I do not believe there is a picture of his grave on the internet.
                        That should change in a couple of weeks

Comment

• Aug 2004

wcoab: benny kauff is the only player banned from baseball for reasons other than gambling.

ubiquitous: That is actually incorrect.

would "permanently banned" make it correct, or were some of those you list permanently banned?
                          either way, thanx for the info, everywhereman.

Comment

• Ubiquitous
                            stats moderator
                            • Aug 2005

They were all placed on the permanently ineligible list. It just so happens that for some it wasn't so permanent.

Comment

• Aug 2004

the only person to make appearances as both player and umpire in both an all-star game and world series is lon warneke, the “arkansas hummingbird”:
                              played in 1932 and ’35 world series and 1933 all-star game;
                              umped the 1952 all-star game and 1954 world series.

Comment

• RuthMayBond
                                • Jan 2004

the only person to make appearances as both player and umpire in both an all-star game and world series is lon warneke, the “arkansas hummingbird”:
                                played in 1932 and ’35 world series and 1933 all-star game;
                                umped the 1952 all-star game and 1954 world series.
                                This says otherwise

1954 World Series - New York Giants over Cleveland Indians (4-0) series statistics and schedule on Baseball-Reference.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X