Page 17 of 47 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Betcha didn't know

hank thompson was the first black player for two different clubs - the 1947 st. louis browns, and (together with monte irvin) the 1949 new york giants.
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Quote Originally Posted by west coast orange and black View Post
    rhumbaman: Your English is WAY better than my espanol

that's espaņol, dude.
    Like I said, it's BETTER
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Some useless stuff:

Clem Clemens
    Dave Davenport
    Ed Edelen
    Eric Erickson
    John Johnson
    John Henry Johnson
    John Johnstone
    Mac MacArthur
    Pat Patterson
    Ty Tyson
    Wes Westrum are possibly the only players whose last names start with their names.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    Reminds me of Al Kaline.
    .297 BA
    498 doubles
    399 HR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLtJHvCOyoo
    Don Buford had 99 R in 1969, 1970 and 1971.

Quote Originally Posted by josh24 View Post
    Some useless stuff:

Clem Clemens
    Dave Davenport
    Ed Edelen
    Eric Erickson
    John Johnson
    John Henry Johnson
    John Johnstone
    Mac MacArthur
    Pat Patterson
    Ty Tyson
    Wes Westrum are possibly the only players whose last names start with their names.
    "Robert" Robertson
    "Ed" Eden
    "David" Davidson
    Le(e)ron Lee
    Thomas Robert Thomas, and "Thomas" Alphonse Thomas
    "William" Williams
    Last edited by RuthMayBond; 07-03-2009 at 09:09 PM.
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

"Robert" Robertson
    "Ed" Eden
    "David" Davidson
    Le(e)ron Lee
    "William" Williams
    Yes, that's why I said possibly. Also Holly Holli(y)ngshead.

In the AL right now, 10 of the 14 teams are above .500
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
    3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    In the AL right now, 10 of the 14 teams are above .500
    So most of them have played the Indians by now

So most of them have played the Indians by now
    As a Indians fan, i think you have suffered a lot. More than 50 years since your last WS; getting to the playoffs 5 consecutive seasons but not winning a WS(i think you had a better team in the 90s than NYY); and finally losing to BOS(my team ) after having a 3-1 lead. I don't think you will get a team like that in the 90s(Belle, Manny, Vizquel, Lofton, Thome, Nagy, etc) again

Quote Originally Posted by josh24 View Post
    As a Indians fan, i think you have suffered a lot. More than 50 years since your last WS;
    I'm guessing you're talking about winning one, so it's been more than SXITY years, but who's counting?

<and finally losing to BOS(my team ) after having a 3-1 lead.>

That one's perfectly explainable. *I* went to game five. If you have video of it, I'm the one who rushes over from the left of the screen and almost catches Youkilis' home run

Quote Originally Posted by Mild Sauce View Post
    When the Chicago White Stockings (later to become the Cubs) played in Lakefront Park, the right field fence was under 200 feet away from home plate. Home runs hit over the fence there would be considered ground rule doubles. The White Stockings would regularly lead the league in doubles until 1884 when balls hit over that fence became home runs. That year Ned Williamson hit 27 home runs, all but 2 at Lakefront Park to lead the majors in home runs. His record 27 home runs would not be broken until 1919 when Babe Ruth hit 29 home runs. We all know what happened from there (as far as Ruth goes). After 1884 the White Stockings move to the West Side Grounds (Park).

Additionally, the White Stockings team set the record in 1884 for most HRs, season. This record lasted until the renouned 1927 Yankees.
    Seven years earlier (in 1877) the White Stockings had set the team season record for fewest HRs. That record can not be beaten.

"Robert" Robertson
    "Ed" Eden
    "David" Davidson
    Le(e)ron Lee
    "William" Williams
    Was Gary Gray the only player who's first name was an anagram of his last name?

Was Earl Howard and Howard Earl the only pair of players who's name was reversed?

Quote Originally Posted by Utter Chaos View Post
    Was Earl Howard and Howard Earl the only pair of players who's name was reversed?
    Thomas Gorman and Gorman Thomas
    Thomas Edward George and George Edward Thomas
    Almost: Ray James Francis and James Francis Ray

Rod Carew was the first player since Ty Cobb to lead both leagues in hitting three consecutive years

no one has done it since
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise

only twice in baseball history have the league batting champs had the same BA in the same year

they were consecutive years

2000 Todd Helton and Nomar Garciaparra both hit .372
    2001 Larry Walker and Ichiro Suzuki both hit .350

Willie Mays hit a total of 664 HR in his career: 660 in the regular season, 1 in the Postseason and 3 in the All-Star Game. He only hit 1 leadoff HR. Guess when he hit that HR? In the 1965 AS Game, facing off Milt Pappas.

only twice in baseball history have the league batting champs had the same BA in the same year

they were consecutive years

2000 Todd Helton and Nomar Garciaparra both hit .372
    2001 Larry Walker and Ichiro Suzuki both hit .350
    It has happened one other time ----- in the 1907 season, Ty Cobb and Honus Wagner were the AL and NL batting champs, and each batted .350.
    Author of Big League Trivia - Facts, Figures, Oddities and Coincidences from our National Pastime.
    www.big-league-trivia.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trivia Guy View Post
    It has happened one other time ----- in the 1907 season, Ty Cobb and Honus Wagner were the AL and NL batting champs, and each batted .350.
    And in 1884- King Kelly and Big Dave Orr each hit .372.

according to the Giants post game broadcast, Amos Rusie had a near perfect game around 1914-15. He retired the first 26 batters and then faced the opposing pitcher, who he promptly hit with a pitch, then retired the next batter for a no-hitter

according to the Giants post game broadcast, Amos Rusie had a near perfect game around 1914-15. He retired the first 26 batters and then faced the opposing pitcher, who he promptly hit with a pitch, then retired the next batter for a no-hitter
    Not really. Amos Rusie pitched from 1889 to 1895 and then 97,98 and finally, 1901. They are probably confused with one of these 2 games:
    July 4, 1908: Hooks Wiltse pitches a 10-inning no-hitter for the Giants over the Phillies in a 1-0 victory. He loses his bid for a perfect 9 innings when‚ with 2 outs‚ he hits Phils P George McQuillan with a pitch on a 1-and-2 count.
    August 16, 1915: Bernie Boland no hits Cleveland through 26 batters before Ben Paschal singles.

The only no-no that Amos Rusie threw was a 8 walk, 1 HBP no-hitter on July 31, 1891.

Page 17 of 47 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast