Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Betcha didn't know

The Giants have allowed 3 or less runs in 17 straight games

that is the longest streak since 1917 (93 years)

but they are heading to Colorado for an Arena baseball series and it would be really hard to continue it
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    The Giants have allowed 3 or less runs in 17 straight games

that is the longest streak since 1917 (93 years)

but they are heading to Colorado for an Arena baseball series and it would be really hard to continue it
    That's the longest single season streak. The Cincinnati Reds went 20 games in 1943 (last 12) and 1944 (first 8).

Quote Originally Posted by josh24 View Post
    Since BBRef put the agents in some players' pages, I've found 7 players that their agents were nobody but themselves.

Gary Sheffield
    Oscar Azocar
    Todd Pratt
    Ernie Whitt
    Kenny Rogers
    Ted Simmons

If you find another, let me know
    Mike Greenwell
    Jamie Moyer
    Curt Schilling

good info thx

although war years* may be applied

Quote Originally Posted by Utter Chaos View Post
    That's the longest single season streak. The Cincinnati Reds went 20 games in 1943 (last 12) and 1944 (first 8).
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

the 5 hits in yesterdays rockies giants game was the lowest combined total ever at Coors FIeld

In the 1970's the Oakland "Athletics" didn't exist. Their official team nickname was the A's.

Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    the 5 hits in yesterdays rockies giants game was the lowest combined total ever at Coors FIeld
    Interesting info. Thanks for sharing this.
    Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

According to the New York Times, no left handed thrower has started a major league game at catcher in more than 100 years. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/16/sp...16catcher.html

Only a handful of lefties ever played catcher at all, and only 3 players (for a total of 10 innings) since 1924. http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...anded-Catchers and the continuing thread.

The Times also noted that no lefty has played shortstop in the bigs in the last 100 years, and that only 3 lefty second basemen (for a total of 5 outs) have been used in MLB since World War 2.
    Last edited by rodk; 09-30-2010 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rodk View Post
    Only a handful of lefties ever played catcher at all.
    That would be an awfully big hand
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

I knew that Stan Musial and Ken Griffey, Jr. were both born in Donora, Pennsylvania, but just learned that they were also both born on November 21st, Stan the Man in 1920 and Junior in 1969.
    Life is complex, it has both real and imaginary parts.

ian2813: In the 1970's the Oakland "Athletics" didn't exist. Their official team nickname was the A's.

finley being his usual self-centered self.
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Two National League players have hit a pinch-hit triple in a World Series game. They both did it as members of the San Francisco Giants and both came on October 28 of their particular Series. Candy Maldonado accomplished this in the 1989 Classic and Aaron Rowand just did it in the 2010 Series.

Yes, the former Blue Jay Candy Maldonado. He had some key hits for the Jays in the post-season as well.
    Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

Jose Vidal's career consisted of 88 major league games between 1966 and 1969. During that time he collected 24 hits, including two triples. His first three-bagger was his very first big-league hit for the Cleveland Indians on September 17, 1966 off Detroit's Mickey Lolich. Vidal's final hit in the majors was his second career triple, this time as a Seattle Pilot off Mike Kekich of the Yankees on May 12, 1969.

Incredibly, Willie Mays never hit for the cycle.

I don't know if anyone touched on this one but, in 1999 Randy Johnson had a 6 gm. streak of 72+ gm.sc.

GS: 6 IP:49 H:33 ER:5 BB:12 SO:72 HR:2 ERA:0.92

What was the Big Units reward for this sterling run of excellence ? W:1 L:4 ND:1

I guess ol-Randy just didn't know how to pitch to the score ala Jack Morris.

Quote Originally Posted by Utter Chaos View Post
    In his autobiography Balls, Graig Nettles said he had acted as his own agent once and would never make that mistake again.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior JEDI

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMaysHayes View Post
    I don't know if anyone touched on this one but, in 1999 Randy Johnson had a 6 gm. streak of 72+ gm.sc.

GS: 6 IP:49 H:33 ER:5 BB:12 SO:72 HR:2 ERA:0.92

What was the Big Units reward for this sterling run of excellence ? W:1 L:4 ND:1

I guess ol-Randy just didn't know how to pitch to the score ala Jack Morris.
    He also made the mistake of going up against Jose Jimenez who threw a no-hitter and a two-hitter in that stretch, the only two shutouts of his career.
    "Heck, all I got was a $100 check. I should have kept it and framed it, but I had to eat".

Infielder Bob Hegman, when asked if he received a World Series ring for playing one inning of one game with the World
    Champion 1985 Kansas City Royals.

Quote Originally Posted by Spindlebrook View Post
    He also made the mistake of going up against Jose Jimenez who threw a no-hitter and a two-hitter in that stretch, the only two shutouts of his career.
    Interesting.
    I didn't notice that.

Heard these today:

Mariano Rivera, Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada are the first trio of teammates in MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL history to have played together in 17 consecutive seasons.

The Yankees haven't lost at home on opening day since 1982.

2011 could be the first season in the past 132 seasons that has no active pitchers with 200+ career wins.

Blog Entries
    Technically that is not true. The National Association is not recognized as a Major League. 1884 was the first year that the Major Leagues saw an active 200+ game winner. They had three that year; Wil White, Pud Galvin, and Jim McCormick.

Quote Originally Posted by ipitch View Post

The Yankees haven't lost at home on opening day since 1982.
    How many times have they played at home on opening day since then? I can guarantee you the Reds haven't lost on the road on Opening Day more than four times in the past 50 years. But it doesn't mean anything without context.

Quote Originally Posted by gakoch View Post
    How many times have they played at home on opening day since then?
    11. The only other team to win 11 consecutive opening day games at home was the Mets (1971-1989).

Quote Originally Posted by ipitch View Post
    2011 could be the first season in the past 132 seasons that has no active pitchers with 200+ career wins.
    From 1884 to 2010, there was 1 year without an active 200+ W pitcher: 1949.
    Bobo Newsom (205 W) was not active from 1949 to 1951. The next in the list was Bucky Walters (198 W), but he didn't play in 1949.
    The pitcher that got closer to 200 W in 1949 was Bob Feller, who reached 192 W.
    Last edited by josh24; 04-24-2011 at 12:39 AM.

Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast