Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Betcha didn't know

Blog Entries
    I hope I'm not getting this wrong, but I believe I saw on ESPN that last night's pitching duel between Luke Hochevar and David Price was the first time that two pitchers each pitched at least 8 scoreless innings, allowed 3 or fewer hits and had 8 or more strikeouts.
    RIP Bill Burgess - a gentleman and a scholar - Baseball-Fever will never be the same without you.

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    I hope I'm not getting this wrong, but I believe I saw on ESPN that last night's pitching duel between Luke Hochevar and David Price was the first time that two pitchers each pitched at least 8 scoreless innings, allowed 3 or fewer hits and had 8 or more strikeouts.
    It's only the 2nd time it happened since 1920 (August 26, 1968, Jim Perry and Frank Bertaina).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ipitch View Post
    It's only the 2nd time it happened since 1920 (August 26, 1968, Jim Perry and Frank Bertaina).
    Well, I guess I got part of it wrong. Maybe instead of less than 3 hits each, it was 4 or less hits combined?
    RIP Bill Burgess - a gentleman and a scholar - Baseball-Fever will never be the same without you.

Adrian Beltre hit for the cycle yesterday, his triple was the first for him this year

last year he had zero triples

he has only 6 triples in the last 5 3/4 years
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

Max Scherzer has struck out at least 8 batters in his last 8 consecutive starts, setting a new Tigers record. The previous record holder was Hal Newhouser, who had at least 8 strikeouts in 7 consecutive starts in, I believe, 1946.

All three Dimaggio brothers not only played the same position,but are all 3 among the top 10 outfielders in baseball history in total chances per game for careers.All three brothers also share the same middle name of Paul!

The Cincinnati Reds are the only major league team that has not had a left-handed pitcher start at least one game in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascott View Post
    The Cincinnati Reds are the only major league team that has not had a left-handed pitcher start at least one game in 2012.
    Wow thats pretty amazing, I guess something like that didn't hurt them much.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

The baseball field at Westminster College in Fulton, Missouri is named Frank Saucier Field, in honour of the Missouri native who played with the 1951 St Louis Browns.
    What is ironic about this is that Saucier's full name is Frank Field Saucier.
    "You can't hit what you can't see" - Walter "Big Train" Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Gee Walker View Post
    Max Scherzer has struck out at least 8 batters in his last 8 consecutive starts, setting a new Tigers record. The previous record holder was Hal Newhouser, who had at least 8 strikeouts in 7 consecutive starts in, I believe, 1946.
    Just looked it up- Newhouser had 9+ K's in 9 straight starts in 1946 (during that stretch he also made a relief appearance). This was from August 15th till September 22nd. He had one more start after that, during which he struck out 7.

If Prince Fielder holds on as the MLB leader in IBB, it will be the first time since 1995 that an AL player was the MLB leader
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Blog Entries
    Quinin Berry of the Detroit Tigers currently has 20 stolen bases in 2012 and has not been caught stealing. He is on pace to be only the fourth player to have at least 20 stolen bases in a season without being caught (since caught-stealing stats have been recorded).

The others are Kevin McReynolds (1988), Paul Molitor (1994), and Chase Utley (2009).

just noticed something

Catfish Hunter died on 9-9-1999
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

Paul Goldschmidt has 5 HR in 14 career ABs vs Tim Lincecum

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
    If Prince Fielder holds on as the MLB leader in IBB, it will be the first time since 1995 that an AL player was the MLB leader
    OOC, who has led outside of McGwire, Bonds, and Pujols during that time? Anybody?
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew C. View Post
    OOC, who has led outside of McGwire, Bonds, and Pujols during that time? Anybody?
    Fielder was also the leader last year, but he was in the NL. In 2001, Sammy Sosa led with 31. The year before, Vlad Guerrero (then an Expo) led the majors with 23. Before that was Mark McGwire in 1999. Then it's Bonds since 1995, the last time an AL player led the majors. It was Frank Thomas with 29.

As I post this, Fielder is still the leader by one IBB over Votto
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

The 2012 Giants are the first team since the 2006 White Sox and the first Giants team since 1968 to have 5 starters with at least 175 IP

On the Giant's 87 division championship team, starting shortstop Jose Uribe was injured early in the season. The Giant's top prospect was a 3rd baseman named Matt Williams. However, Williams was called up and pressed into service as the team's starting shortstop for 63 games. He didn't hit much, but he was superb at short and one of the reasons that the Giants held it together. Wiiliams helped turn 49 double plays in those 63 games and made just 8 errors. I'm not up on advanced fielding metrics, but someone should check and see, if those numbers validate what I remember.

However,the Giants wanted him to play 3rd base. Williams had a 52 game callup in 88, and was up to stay in June of 1989. He went on to win 4 gold gloves, an RBI title, a home run title, and play in 5 all-star games.

Now you know....the reeeeest of the story.

Ted Williams outhit Joe DiMaggio .412 to .408 during DiMaggio's 56-game hitting streak.

For the entire 1941 season,Dimaggio and Williams had a COMBINED total of only 40 strikeouts!!!!!!!!

Of Course we know Petco park is an extreme pitchers park

but today

1) The Padres hit 3 HR off Tim Lincecum there

2) then in the top of the 9th and the Padres leading 5-4, Padre closer Huston Street entered the game, he has been injured much of the year but he entered the game with 38 IP and just 14 hits allowed and zero home runs and was 23/23 in save opportunities. Then Xavier Nady lit him up for a solo home run, the first home run hit off him this year and his first blown save and two batters later Hunter Pence smashed a two run dinger hanging him with the loss. Nady's homer was his first as a Giant and poetically the 100th for the team this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascott View Post
    Interesting . . . but as I recall, the Dodgers went several years (92 thru part of 97) without having a left handed pitcher make a start

Quote Originally Posted by Jason R. Maier View Post
    Interesting . . . but as I recall, the Dodgers went several years (92 thru part of 97) without having a left handed pitcher make a start
    Very good find on your part. On another note, the 1984 Detroit Tigers are the only team to win the World Series in a season that they did not have a left-handed pitcher start a game.

Quote Originally Posted by ipitch View Post
    Ted Williams outhit Joe DiMaggio .412 to .408 during DiMaggio's 56-game hitting streak.
    Ted Williams played in Fenway, DImaggio played in Yankee Stadium

The Astros and Cubs are playing a series in which both teams have 100 losses

the last time this happened was 1962 with the 2 expansion teams

Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast