Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Betcha didn't know

just noticed something

Catfish Hunter died on 9-9-1999
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

Paul Goldschmidt has 5 HR in 14 career ABs vs Tim Lincecum
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
    If Prince Fielder holds on as the MLB leader in IBB, it will be the first time since 1995 that an AL player was the MLB leader
    OOC, who has led outside of McGwire, Bonds, and Pujols during that time? Anybody?
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew C. View Post
    OOC, who has led outside of McGwire, Bonds, and Pujols during that time? Anybody?
    Fielder was also the leader last year, but he was in the NL. In 2001, Sammy Sosa led with 31. The year before, Vlad Guerrero (then an Expo) led the majors with 23. Before that was Mark McGwire in 1999. Then it's Bonds since 1995, the last time an AL player led the majors. It was Frank Thomas with 29.

As I post this, Fielder is still the leader by one IBB over Votto
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

The 2012 Giants are the first team since the 2006 White Sox and the first Giants team since 1968 to have 5 starters with at least 175 IP

On the Giant's 87 division championship team, starting shortstop Jose Uribe was injured early in the season. The Giant's top prospect was a 3rd baseman named Matt Williams. However, Williams was called up and pressed into service as the team's starting shortstop for 63 games. He didn't hit much, but he was superb at short and one of the reasons that the Giants held it together. Wiiliams helped turn 49 double plays in those 63 games and made just 8 errors. I'm not up on advanced fielding metrics, but someone should check and see, if those numbers validate what I remember.

However,the Giants wanted him to play 3rd base. Williams had a 52 game callup in 88, and was up to stay in June of 1989. He went on to win 4 gold gloves, an RBI title, a home run title, and play in 5 all-star games.

Now you know....the reeeeest of the story.

Ted Williams outhit Joe DiMaggio .412 to .408 during DiMaggio's 56-game hitting streak.

For the entire 1941 season,Dimaggio and Williams had a COMBINED total of only 40 strikeouts!!!!!!!!

Of Course we know Petco park is an extreme pitchers park

but today

1) The Padres hit 3 HR off Tim Lincecum there

2) then in the top of the 9th and the Padres leading 5-4, Padre closer Huston Street entered the game, he has been injured much of the year but he entered the game with 38 IP and just 14 hits allowed and zero home runs and was 23/23 in save opportunities. Then Xavier Nady lit him up for a solo home run, the first home run hit off him this year and his first blown save and two batters later Hunter Pence smashed a two run dinger hanging him with the loss. Nady's homer was his first as a Giant and poetically the 100th for the team this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascott View Post
    The Cincinnati Reds are the only major league team that has not had a left-handed pitcher start at least one game in 2012.
    Interesting . . . but as I recall, the Dodgers went several years (92 thru part of 97) without having a left handed pitcher make a start

Quote Originally Posted by Jason R. Maier View Post
    Interesting . . . but as I recall, the Dodgers went several years (92 thru part of 97) without having a left handed pitcher make a start
    Very good find on your part. On another note, the 1984 Detroit Tigers are the only team to win the World Series in a season that they did not have a left-handed pitcher start a game.

Quote Originally Posted by ipitch View Post
    Ted Williams outhit Joe DiMaggio .412 to .408 during DiMaggio's 56-game hitting streak.
    Ted Williams played in Fenway, DImaggio played in Yankee Stadium

The Astros and Cubs are playing a series in which both teams have 100 losses

the last time this happened was 1962 with the 2 expansion teams

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    Do we have to carry that debate into the Trivia Forum of all places, Roy?

ipitch was simply sharing a neat little piece of trivia, which would be very suprising to most people. Fact: Williams had a better batting average than Dimaggio during Dimaggio's 56 game hitting streak - how or why is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    Do we have to carry that debate into the Trivia Forum of all places, Roy?

ipitch was simply sharing a neat little piece of trivia, which would be very suprising to most people. Fact: Williams had a better batting average than Dimaggio during Dimaggio's 56 game hitting streak - how or why is irrelevant.
    it isnt that amazing since you only need 1 hit to keep the streak going and Williams out hit DiMaggio by 49 points that year

BTW DiMaggio outhit Williams career in road games so it IS relevant

Blog Entries
    it isnt that amazing since you only need 1 hit to keep the streak going and Williams out hit DiMaggio by 49 points that year

This is the Trivia section, so no. Carry on.

I'm not going to get into a debate now, it would be kind of hypocritical on my part.

The trivia section is a perfect escape from the endless debating and one-upping that takes place in the other sub-forums.
    Last edited by GiambiJuice; 10-03-2012 at 03:02 PM.

With his hit today, Marco Scutaro becomes the third Giant with a 20 game hitting streak this year

This is the first time this has happened for a Giants team since 1918

It's more relevant that Williams outhit DiMaggio in road games in 1941.

Cal Ripken Jr. saw his streak of 8243 consecutive innings played come to an end on September 14th, 1987. Replacing him in the eighth inning that night was none other than Ron Washington. The Orioles lost 18-3 in Toronto as the Blue Jays hit ten homers.

Actually, I DID know that.

According to the TBS broadcasters, the Giants Reds series is the first one in 72 years that had both teams use the exact same lineup and positions for the starting 8 for 3 straight games

Very cool tidbit, 9RoyHobbsRF. Wonder how they found that out?
    Born to an age where horror has become commonplace, where tragedy has, by its monotonous repetition, become a parody of sorrow, we need to fence off a few parks where humans try to be fair, where skill has some hope of reward, [and] where absurdity has a harder time than usual getting a ticket." -- Thomas Boswell, 1984

Ryan Vogelsong became the first Giant P to get an extra base hit in the post season since 1924

Al Benton is the only pitcher to have faced both Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle.Benton is also the only player to have two sacrifice bunts in the same inning.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
    Al Benton is the only pitcher to have faced both Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle.Benton is also the only player to have two sacrifice bunts in the same inning.
    Depending on whom you ask, Satchel Paige might've faced Babe Ruth at some point. He definitely faced Mantle in the Major Leagues, and Mantle got the best of that matchup, batting .800 (4 for 5).

Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast