Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Betcha didn't know

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzaldrin View Post
    Yeah, except neither is true.

The single season all time leader in wins for the Cubs was John Clarkson
    It looks like he had zero career wins for the CUBS to me.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...larkjo01.shtml

Bob feller amassed more major league victories by the age of 24 than any other player. Who had second most victories? Babe Ruth.
    ". . . the Ruth, the whole Ruth and nothing but the Ruth . . ."

Quote Originally Posted by Badge714 View Post
    Bob feller amassed more major league victories by the age of 24 than any other player. Who had second most victories? Babe Ruth.
    Tommy Bond would like a word with you
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Quote Originally Posted by ipitch View Post
    It looks like he had zero career wins for the CUBS to me.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...larkjo01.shtml
    The Cubs FRANCHISE (which bb ref admits it is)
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    The Cubs FRANCHISE (which bb ref admits it is)
    Yes, but 9RoyHobbsRF specified "for the Cubs", so that eliminates Clarkson.

Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    were these pre 1900?

most students of the game do not recognize pre 1900 records as the leagues and rules were not standard
    This is not true. Any serious student of the game would disagree with this claim.

And even on the surface, it doesn't make any sense. Have the leagues been standard since 1900? Not even close. In 1900, there was one 8 team league, in 1901 there were two. For two years in the teens there were three. In the 50s, franchises began moving from one city to another, we added new teams in the 60s and then split the leagues into divisions. In the 70s, one of the leagues, but not the other added A NEW PLAYER. Later on we added some more teams and more divisions and then in the 90s the two leagues began playing against each other occasionally during the regular season.

In what one single way is that standard?

And don't get me started about the rules...

I stand by my assertions and AGREE with the broadcast

Mathewson and Brown are the single season leaders for victories for the Giants and Cubs' and they both occurred in 1908, you want to believe otherwise that is up to you

Period

I stand by my assertions and AGREE with the broadcast

Mathewson [is] the single season leaders for victories for the Giants and [it] occurred in 1908, you want to believe otherwise that is up to you

Period
    What are you calling the 1885 National League team in New York City?

And let us see,

prior to 1901 a foul ball was not considered a strike

that is an example of how pre 1900 baseball was not the same game as it is post 1900

and much more important than whether a team relocates (?!)
    Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 05-06-2009 at 08:39 AM.

more...

...in the 90s, the league brought its own troubles. The league expanded from 8 to 12 teams. In this era, cooperation and collusion among the owners was the keynote off the field. Late in the era, owenrship of two clubs by one group of individuals crept into the loop's structure; Baltimore and Brooklyn came under common management, as did St. Louis and Cleveland and Pittsburgh and Louisville. These ABUSES did not lead to fixing of games, but all the better players in the interlocking ownership generally were concentrated on one team, leaving their counterpart much weaker. In response to such imbalances, the league cut back to 8 teams in 1900, NY, Brooklyn, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Cincinnati and St. Louis, A STRUCTURE WHICH WOULD REMAIN UNDISTURBED UNTIL 1953 (dropping Louisville, Baltimore, Cleveland, Washington).

the above quote taken from a baseball historian

And let us see,

prior to 1901 a foul ball was not consideed a strike

that is an example of how pre 1900 baseball was not the same game as it is post 1900

and much more important than whether a team relocates (?!)
    And at least some post-1900
    spitballers were allowed
    the gloss wasn't removed from baseballs
    runners couldn't tag as long as fly ball was being juggled
    flyballs hit on top of a 250' distance fence could be a home run
    big league games didn't even require three umps
    balls bouncing over fences were home runs
    fielding gloves were left on the field
    night ball was banned in Chicago
    strike zones were bigger than a postage stamp & mounds were as high as Bunker Hill

more from a baseball historian

If HG Wells actually built a time machine and could be transported back in time, ANY SIMILARITY BETWEEN THE GAME IN THE 20TH CENTURY AND THE GAME AS PLAYED THROUGH 1892, WOULD SIMPLY BE AN ILLUSION! While struggling to see which men, let alone a league could survive the rigors of implanting a new national pasttime, THE PLAYING RULES, THOSE NECESSARY GUIDELINES WHICH WERE NEEDED TO BRING CONTINUITY TO THE SPORT, WERE BEING CHANGED CONTINUALLY. Beyond some of the rules, WHICH ARE HUMOROUS IN RETROSPECT, (SUCH AS BEFORE 1887 WHEN A BATTER HAD A RIGHT TO CALL FOR A HIGH OR A LOW PITCH), THERE ARE RULES WHICH MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE TO COMPARE AND JUDGE THE PLAYER PERFORMANCES WITH THE STANDARD OF PLAY AS THEY ARE KNOWN TODAY. Revolving rules involved the distance from the pitcher to home plate, the pitcher's delivery (underhanded until 1883), the number of balls needed to get a walk and advance to first base (for instance 5 were needed in 1887), the number of strikes needed to account for a strikeout (3 strike rule not adopted until 1888), (foul tips not refined until later), a caught foul 3rd strike not resulting in an out until 1903) and there was no allowing for substitutes other than injured players and/or permission by the other team until 1891.

I rest my case
    Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 05-06-2009 at 08:57 AM.

a caught foul 3rd strike not resulting in an out until 1903)
    That almost sounds like post-1900, when the "leagues and rules were standard"

well I guesss I will add more...

scoring rules added tot he distortion in early statistical tabulation. Included were the 1877 rule which credited a base on balls as a hit and an 1876 rule which charged a batter with an at bat for a base on balls. Stolen bases were credited on extra bases advanced on a player hit until 1898. In trying to determine base on balls, hit batsman, wild pitches and balks, they were all categorized as errors, established 1883, reversed 1887, reestablished 1888 abolished 1889, the same year the sacrifice bunt was recognized, although charging the batter with a time at bat.

I rest my case
    The case that never rests

the great maury wills of the hated dodgers played in the most played regular season games played in a single season - 165 games in 1962:
    all 162 regularly-scheduled games, plus all three of the playoff games against the san francisco giants.
    Last edited by west coast orange and black; 05-06-2009 at 04:16 PM.
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

the fewest games played at a position in one season by that season's gold glove winner for that position is 15, by jim kaat in 1972.
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

the first pitcher to take player of the month honors despite a losing record that month was fernando valenzuela.
    he had a 0.21 era and set a new ml record of 44.1 consecutive innings without an earned run at the start of a season... but was 2-3 in april 1986.

Quote Originally Posted by west coast orange and black View Post
    the first pitcher to take player of the month honors despite a losing record that month was fernando valenzuela.
    he had a 0.21 era and set a new ml record of 44.1 consecutive innings without an earned run at the start of a season... but was 2-3 in april 1986.
    That's a good one. It was actually 1985 though.

Quote Originally Posted by west coast orange and black View Post
    the fewest games played at a position in one season by that season's gold glove winner for that position is 15, by jim kaat in 1972.
    Yep, I think ol' Kitty *may* not have deserved some of them

Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast