Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2008 cardinals season thread:

2008 cardinals season thread:

Lets talk about the 2008 season. Put your updates in here etc

First question/ topic... Where do you see us ending this year?

Blog Entries
    Here's your "Yadi" thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Cardinals View Post
    Molina is given 4 years

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...2007&fext=.jsp

I love yadi!!! He should have won many gold gloves by now. Its a matter of time.

Thanks...

Yadi should have won the gold glove in 07. Hopefully he'll get it in 08.

I'm not ecpecting a first place finish for the Cards. If a few key players go down with injury, we could be in big trouble.

Fourth or fifth place trouble........
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

It's gonna be feast or famine. I say 95 wins or 70 wins. Either way it will be fun!

I'm keeping my expectations low for 08 and hoping for the best. I haven't seen a lot of projections yet but the ones I've seen showed the Cards scoring a bit more than they did last year and the pitching being a bit better. Emphasis on "a bit" in both cases.

I was coming home from a hockey game last night and caught the tale end of a conversation Jeff Gordon, from the StL P-D, was having on KFNS and he was talking about Pujols and some injuries. The jist that I caught was that Pujols, who played through a lot of stuff last year, was still banged up and, if things went the same as last year, he was not inclined to play through it this year. Something about how he would just shut it down and get it taken care of. I don't know what that was all about but it got my attention. Anybody hear anything like that?

Pujols Needs Tommy John Surgery?

I just found out what they were talking about on the radio regarding Pujols. Supposedly, Pujols has a serious elbow injury and they're talking about the possibility that he might need Tommy John surgery. He's had elbow problems in the past and the elbow was a problem at the end of last year. Now he can't even straighten out his arm.

As usual, the Cardinals are doing the whole "let's put some ice on it and hope it goes away" thing. If Pujols had gotten this taken care of at the end of last season, most likely he's be ready to go opening day (May 1st at the latest) but instead the Cards are going to let him play until his arm falls off and then have the surgery.

Since there are low expectations for 08 and the club is really gearing up for a run in 09 and beyond, wouldn't it make sense for Pujols to do whatever needs to be done to get healthy. Is a 75/80% Albert Pujols really going to make a difference for the 08 Cards?

Quote Originally Posted by hubkittel View Post
    I just found out what they were talking about on the radio regarding Pujols. Supposedly, Pujols has a serious elbow injury and they're talking about the possibility that he might need Tommy John surgery. He's had elbow problems in the past and the elbow was a problem at the end of last year. Now he can't even straighten out his arm.

As usual, the Cardinals are doing the whole "let's put some ice on it and hope it goes away" thing. If Pujols had gotten this taken care of at the end of last season, most likely he's be ready to go opening day (May 1st at the latest) but instead the Cards are going to let him play until his arm falls off and then have the surgery.

Since there are low expectations for 08 and the club is really gearing up for a run in 09 and beyond, wouldn't it make sense for Pujols to do whatever needs to be done to get healthy. Is a 75/80% Albert Pujols really going to make a difference for the 08 Cards?
    God D***it! I hate the cards sometimes. They are so overly cautious about somethings (icing), but not others (surgery). Pujols just needs to be as healthy as possible now. I agree 100% on the 75/80 pujols in 08 theory...

Anyway, I hope you are wrong. Please be wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Go Cardinals View Post
    Anyway, I hope you are wrong. Please be wrong!
    Yeah, me too. I wish I had some hard news on this or something to link to but all I got is the tail end of a Jeff Gordon talk on KFNS and then something on Viva El Birdo about Pujols talking at the Winter Warm Up about shuting it down and getting surgery if the pain was as bad as last year.

It sounds real but I'm not 100% on this. I guess we'll just have to wait for some word from the Cardinals.

Yeah, me too. I wish I had some hard news on this or something to link to but all I got is the tail end of a Jeff Gordon talk on KFNS.
    From the Post Dispatch.....

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...6?OpenDocument

If the elbow barks at him again this season, Pujols vows to back off his workload.

The Cards can live with that. Josh Phelps ought to make this team as a power-hitting back-up and pinch-hitter. He could take some pressure off Albert and help him manage his nagging leg and elbow problems.

“If the same problem is happening this year, I don't think I'm going to play the whole year the same way,” Pujols said at the Warm-up. “I sacrificed my body.”

Pujols has met with Larussa (at the Winter Warm Up) to discuss ways to lessen his workload if the elbow causes problems.

If he misses significant time, the Cubs, Brewers, Astros and maybe the Reds will finish higher than us.....
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Quote Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
    From the Post Dispatch.....

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...6?OpenDocument

If the elbow barks at him again this season, Pujols vows to back off his workload.

The Cards can live with that. Josh Phelps ought to make this team as a power-hitting back-up and pinch-hitter. He could take some pressure off Albert and help him manage his nagging leg and elbow problems.

“If the same problem is happening this year, I don't think I'm going to play the whole year the same way,” Pujols said at the Warm-up. “I sacrificed my body.”

Pujols has met with Larussa (at the Winter Warm Up) to discuss ways to lessen his workload if the elbow causes problems.

If he misses significant time, the Cubs, Brewers, Astros and maybe the Reds will finish higher than us.....
    Have you seen the starting staff/ outfield defense/infield offense? If he misses NO time those teams will finish ahead of us!
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Quote Originally Posted by STLCards2 View Post
    Have you seen the starting staff/ outfield defense/infield offense? If he misses NO time those teams will finish ahead of us!
    Nah... I think we will finish ahead of the Reds if Pujols is healthy, but fall to 5th if he is not..... Lets shoot for 4th place!!!

This thread has gotten a bit depressing.

cool video

Tommy John Surgery

If Albert had Tommy John during the offseason I don't think he would be ready by Opening Day. Tommy John surgery takes 10 - 12 months recovery time.

http://www.boston.com/news/health/ar...ery_paved_way/

PECOTA projections, as mentioned at Viva El Birdos, have the Cards at 72 wins for 2008...

...but as I mentioned in my "prediction" in the other thread -- and I see I was in agreement with another poster -- the Cards are either going to that bad, or they'll be the story of the year in the NL.

Quote Originally Posted by TheStringIsOut_NC View Post
    PECOTA projections, as mentioned at Viva El Birdos, have the Cards at 72 wins for 2008...

...but as I mentioned in my "prediction" in the other thread -- and I see I was in agreement with another poster -- the Cards are either going to that bad, or they'll be the story of the year in the NL.
    I thought that it would be cool if I made a video response...

Without:

Couldn't find video of eckstein

It'll be up to these guys:

Couldn't find the one I have on Duncan... but he counts too...

Quote Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
    If Albert had Tommy John during the offseason I don't think he would be ready by Opening Day. Tommy John surgery takes 10 - 12 months recovery time.

http://www.boston.com/news/health/ar...ery_paved_way/
    I'm certainly no doctor but my understanding was that it's around 12 months for pitchers but only six for everyday players. It seemed to make sense to me. If it's really true or not...?

My real point was that if Pujols is seriously injured then he should have had the surgery in October 07 rather then have it in the summer of 08. Sooner is better than latter.

Let's just hope that it doesn't come to Tommy John surgery because I don't want to think about how bad it would get if the Cards are missing Pujols for any extended period of time.

Albert Pujols update... here he is taking bp on Sunday:

He crushed it... I think his elbow is fine...

It sounds like Albert is crushing the ball in Florida. However, the lingering problem still remains. From what I understand is Albert is going to keep going until he blows it out. The Cardinals want him to slow down a little and LaRussa is planning more days off for Albert in 2008. I guess that Josh Phelps signing makes a little more sense now. I'm also hearing Juan Gonzalez might see a little time at 1B. How about Chris Duncan and playing someone else in the OF once in awhile. Spiezio can spell nicely, too.

Ok... recent updates:

reyes is good:
    http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/new...=.jsp&c_id=stl

Another chapter of the struggles of the cards:
    http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/new...=.jsp&c_id=stl

And some more on this case from stl-dispatch.com:

JUPITER, Fla. -– Cardinals minor-league pitcher Donnie Smith is in a Palm Beach County jail after being arrested Wednesday night on a felony charge of aggravated battery, police said Thursday.

Smith, 25, allegedly punched a man in the nose at a restaurant near the Cardinals’ minor-league and spring training complex in Jupiter’s Abacoa community. The incident happened Sept. 20, 2007, according to the police report, and a Jupiter Police Department spokesman said the investigation filled the time between complaint and arrest.

The Cardinals did not have an immediate statement regarding the arrest, news of which comes a day after the team released major-leaguer Scott Spiezio in response to six misdemeanor charges filed against him in California.

Smith pitched last season for the Cardinals High-A team, which is located in Jupiter. A fourth-round pick in the 2004 amateur draft, Smith was 2-1 with a 3.03 ERA and 50 strikeouts in 59 1/3 innings over 37 relief appearances. He has a career ERA of 3.73 in four minor-league seasons.

According to the police report, Smith was at Masa Sagami restaurant on Sept. 20 and witnesses told police that Smith had said to his girlfriend that he would "knock out" George Berne, of Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.

When police arrived at the scene the fight was already over and Berne "had been struck in the face and was bleeding badly," the report read.

On Oct. 18, Berne identified Smith for detectives.

A probable cause affidavit was filed on Oct. 22, 2007. A arraignment is scheduled for March 6.
    Last edited by Go Cardinals; 02-28-2008 at 09:17 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast