Page 7 of 71 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebbets Field

DiggerODell Guest

Stroll around old Site of Ebbets Field July 13, 2008

After leaving the subway station at Prospect Park;

1) Looking east on Lincoln Rd., about 3 blocks south of where Ebbets stood.

2) Looking north from about Sterling St. & Bedford. The apartments in the middle of the photo are where Ebbets Field was.

3) Looking north from Empire Blvd. & Bedford.

4) Looking north from right at Empire & Beford with the Firestone bldg. in direct forground.
    Attached Images Attached Images

DiggerODell Guest

1) Looking north at Sullivan & Beford. This would have been the 1st base/Right Field wall area of the old park

2) Sign says it all.

3) Parking lot along Bedford, just outside the Right Field wall.

4) The historical marker along the Bedford Ave. side.

DiggerODell Guest

1) Looking south on Beford just outside the Right Field wall.

2) Close up of the "Ebbets Field" sign in the parking lot.

3) Looking north along Bedford at approx the Center Field wall just before you get to Montgomery.

4) Looking north at Bedford & Montgomery. Some of the old businesses still exist in this area as when the ballpark was there.

OK, about time for the Sox/Angels ballgame to begin (I don't like either, but I do like baseball . .ha), I'll continue with a few more of this stroll around old Ebbets site tomorrow.

DiggerODell Guest

1) Looking upwards along Montgomery, the sky which would have hovered over centerfield on EF.

2) Picture is taken looking east on Montgomery, outside of what would have been the left field bleachers. Bet they kept up with the rubbage a bit better back in the day?

3) Near the corner of McKeever & Montgomery, lookin into what would have been the left field area.

4) Down McKeever Pl. in a southern direction.

DiggerODell Guest

All 4 shots along McKeever Pl.

Great shots! I think your first pic of the first post is my favorite. I bet that was a great place to live back in the day.

DiggerODell Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TnNYYfan View Post
    Great shots! I think your first pic of the first post is my favorite. I bet that was a great place to live back in the day.
    Thank You TnNYYfan . . . appreciate it. I thought the same way which is why I included it even though it's 3 blocks south of where EF stood. Beautiful old neighborhoods around the area and while walking them you can almost imagine hearing a couple of guys sitting on the steps leading to the sidewalk, having a brew on a summer night long ago . .. deciding . ."what the heck, lets go take a Bums game in" . . . I would loved to have seen a game at EF or PG back in the day!

Thanks again for your comment, I plan to upload the balance of that "stroll" when time allows.

Excellent pictures!

I was wondering if the Rite Aid had merely occupied the Young Motors building, or had the Young Motors building been demolished and a Rite Aid put in?

I'm also trying to read the signs on those buildings and having a difficult time. Could anyone help me out?

DiggerODell Guest

1-3) views in a southeastern direction along McKeever which would have been along the left field/3rd base side of the ballpark.

4) Viewing southwestern (away from the EB) at the corner of McKeever & Sullivan towards Empire Blvd. where the McDonalds arches are.

DiggerODell Guest

These next few photos are at the heart of why I wanted to visit these apartment buildings and surrounding area. These are where you see all the photos of Ebbets exterior . . . the famous Ebbets Field sign and where homeplate entrance used to be. Exception is #2 which is a view looking north on McKeever Pl. which would be along the the 3rd base side of the park. These are mostly similar photos but I couldn't decide which to use and which not, so I said "hell with it, upload em all . .ha" (But wait, theres more!)

DiggerODell Guest

1) The street signs at the intersection.

1-4) Strolling wouth down McKeever Pl a bit more . . . the final one taken from the afore mentioned McDonalds parking lot nearing Empire Blvd.

DiggerODell Guest

1 & 3) View looking northeast from Franklin Ave. Empire Blvd.

2) View looking east at about Washington Ave & Sullivan Pl. EF would have been a couple blocks down in this photo.

4) Back at the beginning at Prospect Park subway station, about 3 blocks southwest of where Ebbets Field stood. Oh for a nickle for all the thousands who must of existed these very doors on their way to a game at the park "back in the day"!
    Last edited by DiggerODell; 10-13-2008 at 02:41 PM.

DiggerODell Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JOVE23 View Post
    Excellent pictures!

I was wondering if the Rite Aid had merely occupied the Young Motors building, or had the Young Motors building been demolished and a Rite Aid put in?

I'm also trying to read the signs on those buildings and having a difficult time. Could anyone help me out?
    I apoligize JOVE23, if I had been thinking that day I would have written down on a notepad all the businesses and such . . . even my own thoughts and observations . . . but I was too much "in awe" of actually seeing where Ebbets stood once, and just clicked and clicked the shutter. Its funny when you photograph a place or thing like this, the many ways and ideas you have "afterwards" . . . and believe me . . . I have a truck load of those!

With my daughter residing in Queens though, I plan to visit the NY area atleast once a year in the coming years so I'll be prepared on subsequent "strolls around long gone ballparks" . . ie. Polo Grounds, Shea, Yankee and yes even Ebbets again, and hopefully Highlands. I hope some of the local folks can help you with your query here though. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by JOVE23 View Post
    I believe the Young Motors building was demolished.

DiggerODell, those are great photos! Do you have any taken on Bedford Avenue, showing the area across the street from the right field wall (where Young Motors and the Mobil gas station were), and the apartment buildings that were visible from within Ebbets Field? And if you don't, can you please take some pictures of them if you do indeed return to the area?
    X
    Archie Bunker: All I can tell you, Edith, is I'm surprised at you! Dragging me off to a moving picture like that! It was absolutely disgusting!
    Edith Bunker: Well, I'm sorry, Archie, how was I to know? I thought it was a religious picture, "Cardinal Knowledge!"

Summer 1948 from Fred Beaudry on Picasa

Last edited by alpineinc; 11-01-2008 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Fix links

Great stuff from the Sporting News, 1937. Love that they used to call them "plants" and discussing the "confusing" rotunda.

Paul W found a great site (eFootage) with a bunch of good video - here's the Babe in Dodger Blue, interviewed and coaching at Ebbets...

http://www.efootage.com/play_clip.php?clip_id=5477

1947 Sporting News, from Gene Mack of the Boston Globe.

Nice 1953 shot of Gladys Gooding, the Ebbets Field organist.

'20 WS (posted before?)

Campy early '50's.

Last edited by alpineinc; 11-10-2008 at 05:07 PM. Reason: YS pic removed

Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    Nice 1953 shot of Gladys Gooding, the Ebbets Field organist.

'20 WS (posted before?)

'47 WS, Jackie at first.

Campy early '50's.

But the Jackie pic is Yankee Stadium.

Page 7 of 71 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast