More football pics from corbis.

Detroit Lions goofing off.

Attachment 48561

Not sure about the opponent on this one, but my guess is Cleveland

Attachment 48562

Dodgers vs Redskins 1942

Attachment 48563

Attachment 48565
    Cleveland is a good guess since the Football Dodgers and the Browns were both in the AAFC at one point

Did the Mets ever consider building the new stadium in Brooklyn? It is as much "New York" as Queens is.

Quote Originally Posted by tugger View Post
    Did the Mets ever consider building the new stadium in Brooklyn? It is as much "New York" as Queens is.
    Considering the difficulty Ratner is having with the "Brooklyn" Nets, I highly doubt that was ever discussed.

Andy Jurinko Litho

Snider leaps. Interesting how the wall juts out

I love this picture, and it is at an angle I have not seen before. I had no idea that Ebbets backed onto what looks like a typical commercial street with good-looking 1940s-style retail stores opposite. I wonder if their display windows needed repair much from long home runs?

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock View Post

Thanks so much for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg B. View Post
    I love this picture
    I love this photo so much that I want to marry it!

Okay... maybe I don't love it that much. But it is an awesome photo.

Given how beloved the "Bums" were, I wonder if the occupants of the apartments in the photo - especially the ones in the six-story building on Stoddard Place whose windows overlooked Ebbets Field - enjoyed any kind of extra status when people found out where they lived!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg B. View Post
    I had no idea that Ebbets backed onto what looks like a typical commercial street with good-looking 1940s-style retail stores opposite. I wonder if their display windows needed repair much from long home runs?
    Young Motors occupied most of the frontage across from Ebbets Field. I can't specifically speak on their behalf, but I remember seeing a picture of another store window across the street from, I think it was Griffith Stadium in Washington, that was damaged by a Babe Ruth home run, and the store owner left the glass as is and put a sign in their window stating just that fact.

(The Young Motors building is no longer with us - I passed by the site a few years ago and noticed a Rite Aid drugstore in that location - but the apartment buildings are still there.)

Babe Ruth's broken window.

The auto dealership was across the street from Sportsman's Park, shown in this thread:

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=71705

Joe Adcock's A-bomb.

This is from a New York Times article reporting Joe Adcock's death.
    Last edited by Lpeters199; 06-14-2009 at 07:26 PM.

Couple of interesting pics from maureenmcv's flickr site.

Bronx, NY (Home of the Yanks!)/Trumbull, CT
    Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    Couple of interesting pics from maureenmcv's flickr site.

The numbers on the back of the visiting team's jerseys are absolutely huge. Does anyone know what team that might be?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees12 View Post
    The numbers on the back of the visiting team's jerseys are absolutely huge. Does anyone know what team that might be?
    The caption added to the first picture says the Phillies, and the photo names reference 1954, btw.

Marilyn kickin' it at a soccer match.

Is there a more unexpected photo from EF?

More of Marilyn at Ebbets Field.

Quote Originally Posted by tugger View Post
    According to the special on HBO (I believe), "The Ghosts of Flatbush", Robert Moses (in charge of all building in NYC) wouldn't have allowed it. He was pushing the Flushing Meadows sight (Shea Stadium) on to the Dodgers. This is reportedly one of the major reasons the O'Malleys left Brooklyn. So when NYC was awarded the franchise that became the Mets, I'm sure Flushing Meadows was their destination from day 1.
    Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Quote Originally Posted by cgcoyne2 View Post
    According to the special on HBO (I believe), "The Ghosts of Flatbush", Robert Moses (in charge of all building in NYC) wouldn't have allowed it. He was pushing the Flushing Meadows sight (Shea Stadium) on to the Dodgers. This is reportedly one of the major reasons the O'Malleys left Brooklyn. So when NYC was awarded the franchise that became the Mets, I'm sure Flushing Meadows was their destination from day 1.
    I meant before building Citi Field. You'd think if Wilpon wants his stadium to echo Ebbets, he'd want it in Brooklyn. I'd assume Moses didn't have much of a say this time.

1960 Ebbets Field Demolition Video

you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
    http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Quote Originally Posted by cgcoyne2 View Post
    O'Malley originally claimed credit for the Flushing Meadows site, then changed his mind and decided to push for free land in Brooklyn.

A color shot of the Ebbets locker room from 1952, with Holmes, Furillo, Bridges and Branca (from Colliers)

I scanned this one from "The Greatest Ballpark Ever" by Bob McGee:

DiggerODell Guest

Stroll around old Site of Ebbets Field July 13, 2008

After leaving the subway station at Prospect Park;

1) Looking east on Lincoln Rd., about 3 blocks south of where Ebbets stood.

2) Looking north from about Sterling St. & Bedford. The apartments in the middle of the photo are where Ebbets Field was.

3) Looking north from Empire Blvd. & Bedford.

4) Looking north from right at Empire & Beford with the Firestone bldg. in direct forground.
    Attached Images Attached Images

DiggerODell Guest

1) Looking north at Sullivan & Beford. This would have been the 1st base/Right Field wall area of the old park

2) Sign says it all.

3) Parking lot along Bedford, just outside the Right Field wall.

4) The historical marker along the Bedford Ave. side.

DiggerODell Guest

1) Looking south on Beford just outside the Right Field wall.

2) Close up of the "Ebbets Field" sign in the parking lot.

3) Looking north along Bedford at approx the Center Field wall just before you get to Montgomery.

4) Looking north at Bedford & Montgomery. Some of the old businesses still exist in this area as when the ballpark was there.

OK, about time for the Sox/Angels ballgame to begin (I don't like either, but I do like baseball . .ha), I'll continue with a few more of this stroll around old Ebbets site tomorrow.

DiggerODell Guest

1) Looking upwards along Montgomery, the sky which would have hovered over centerfield on EF.

2) Picture is taken looking east on Montgomery, outside of what would have been the left field bleachers. Bet they kept up with the rubbage a bit better back in the day?

3) Near the corner of McKeever & Montgomery, lookin into what would have been the left field area.

4) Down McKeever Pl. in a southern direction.

DiggerODell Guest

All 4 shots along McKeever Pl.

Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast