Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebbets Field

Here's my attempt to Photoshop out the logo. Not bad, if I say so myself. Tint slightly off, but nothing you'd notice if you weren't looking for it.

Love the lines of the stands. Way, way cleaner, and way more open than YS.

It seemed to be fairly steep in the upper deck. I never noticed that before.

Old sailors never die, they just hang around Ebbets Field

Great pics Alpine.

Those seats would appear to be quite uncomfortable.

Nice shot of Citi Field!

X
    I wonder what itís like after death. Probíly itís like it is bífore birth. Is it nothing? Non-existence? Thatís not hard tíunderstand, but itís hard for people tíaccept. Itís hard for them to imagine not existing because all of their memories are of their existence, not non-existence. Aní people ainít too crazy about the idea of themselves not existing. - Harvey Pekar, ďShort Weekend: A Story About the Cosmic and the Ordinary,Ē American Splendor #3, 1978.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    Nice shot of Citi Field!

That made me laugh. But in all fairness, Citi doesn't even come close. Look at the beautiful detail on the exterior.

On another note, I am reading Stan Musial's biography and according to him, this was the park he most loved to hit at. He said it was very kind to him. Also, back in the day nothing beat a Cardinals-Dodgers rivalry.

Haven't seen this posted before, this is good... an overlay of Ebbets Field and the Ebbets Field Apartments.

Edit: Sorry, this had, in fact, been posted earlier in the thread.
    Last edited by nymdan; 01-08-2009 at 07:33 PM.

Cool diagram. The neighborhood is changing, and the EF Apts' time is probably coming.

Crime, poverty still crushing Ebbets Field's spirit (from Apr '07)

MM at Ebbets, before a soccer match between the US National Team and the Israeli Hapoel team, from Marilyn.Monroe.Project on Picasa. Second photo is Ya'acov Chodorov, apparently a legendary Israeli goalie. Packed house that day - soccer fans or Marilyn fans? I wonder...

Interesting. Even the people in the apartments across the street had their windows open and were watching the proceedings (second photo). I don't recall seeing that in any other Ebbets Field photo...

Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    Packed house that day - soccer fans or Marilyn fans? I wonder...
    Well, I can't imagine that much excitement over Israel in 1950s New York.

Alpineinc great photos. When I looked at this one I thought perhaps all three of the company's with the ads were still around. Especially, Brass Rail. Alas only Mennen survives and barely according to Wikipedia:

"Today, the name Mennen is being phased out in some regions and products in many countries are becoming known simply as Speed Stick or Lady Speed Stick. In North America, both products, as well as Skin Bracer and Afta are still being marketed as being "by Mennen," where the name is still well-known and holds positive connotations. "
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg EF.jpg (175.5 KB, 2141 views)

DiggerODell Guest
    MM at Ebbets, before a soccer match between the US National Team and the Israeli Hapoel team, from Marilyn.Monroe.Project on Picasa. Second photo is Ya'acov Chodorov, apparently a legendary Israeli goalie. Packed house that day - soccer fans or Marilyn fans? I wonder...

Hard to imagine a day ever so bright and sunny! What a Dish!

Geez, check out those narrow walkways. Even without the SRO, imagine having to deal with that every game.

Quote Originally Posted by tugger View Post
    Geez, check out those narrow walkways. Even without the SRO, imagine having to deal with that every game.
    According to my dad, he would venture a guess that this game was versus St Louis. He said that was the only team he ever had trouble getting into EF to see a game. There were only about 32,000 seats but the FDNY at the time allowed standing room and the sometimes shoehorned as many as 41,000 into the joint. Finally, they cracked down on that practice before they had a disaster.

Excuse me, is this the way to Europe, France?

Well, since Getty Images bailed me out last night with LeBron art (AP is crap!), I decided to see what Getty has from Ebbets Field. Here's O'Malley greeting the king of Iraq - in the rotunda, maybe? Plus the king leaning forward to get a good picture to post on the Ebbets Field thread. Also views from top of CF stands and behind homeplate.

They have cool shots from the locker rooms, which was standard stuff back in the day. Check out how tiny the lockers are for visitors.

A few more. Exterior is from 1918.

Last edited by alpineinc; 03-01-2009 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Photo since deleted on flickr.

Last edited by alpineinc; 12-06-2009 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Photos gone private on Flickr.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Ellen View Post
    Alpineinc great photos. When I looked at this one I thought perhaps all three of the company's with the ads were still around. Especially, Brass Rail. Alas only Mennen survives and barely according to Wikipedia:

"Today, the name Mennen is being phased out in some regions and products in many countries are becoming known simply as Speed Stick or Lady Speed Stick. In North America, both products, as well as Skin Bracer and Afta are still being marketed as being "by Mennen," where the name is still well-known and holds positive connotations. "
    I lived in Downtown Brooklyn and I remember Michaels Furniture Store on Ashland Place and Fulton St.
    Brings back old memories.

Quote Originally Posted by vtbub View Post
    Is that a play clock way up above home plate in the last picture?
    Looks like HE, hit or error sign to me.

September 1956

Wow, no hand rails and that is mighty steep!

Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast