Page 4 of 88 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Ballparks in Configuration for Football, Hockey, Boxing, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesteve32
    Multipurpose Big A for a Rams game. Ruined a great baseball only park for this:
    It would have been possible to design and build a more baseball-friendly football expansion, but, unfortunately, they didn't. You have to admit that there was value to folks in OC in having the Rams in Anaheim - and I'm not even a Rams fans.

West Point's hefty backfield limbers up at the polo grounds for the game with Duke University tomorrow (Oct. 28). Left to right: Tom Lombardo, Dean Sensanbaugher, Doc Blanchard, and Glenn Davis.

Bettmann/CORBIS
    Date Photographed: October 27, 1944
    Attached Images Attached Images

Football at the Polo Grounds in 41.
    Last edited by milladrive; 04-17-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Sunday, December 6, 1925 The Polo Grounds New York: In their initial NFL season the football Giants are shown mixing it up with the Chicago Bears. (Corbis)

Brownie31

Football game from 1936 taken at a really odd angle....
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Not a very big crowd for this Rugby match between Cambrige University from the UK and an American All Star Team, 1930's. I like this shot because it shows what the view of the grandstand must have been for the players from just behind the infield.
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Some of these football shots show the PG nicely.

cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc ccccccccc

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv vvvvvvvvvv

Love the football shots, TJH. A lot of the seats in the PG were too far away to be very good seats for baseball, but it must of been a terrific place to watch football. The NFL Giants played at the PG till 1956, which is about the time that they would become the dominant team in the NFL Eastern Confrence, through 1963.
    It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb bbbbbbbbbbbbb

Thanks for the PG answers I had forgotten about the Titans. I just wondered why it didn't suffer the same fate as Ebbets Field. If I recall correctly the ball club wante to cut ties so they were very quick in the demolition.

Sunday, December 6, 1925 The Polo Grounds Manahattan: A packed crowd at the Polo Grounds watches the first ever meeting between the New York Giants and the Chicago Bears. Unfortunately for the crowd, the Bears were victorious 19-7. (Corbis)

Brownie31

Saturday, October 29, 1932 The Polo Grounds Manhattan: Coach Chick Meehan's Manhattan College Jaspers are shown on defense as they take on the Stormy Petrels of Oglethorpe University from Atlanta. The Jaspers were victorious 20-3 in route to a 6-2-2 regular season record and an trip to the first ever Orange Bowl where they lost 7-0 to the University of Miami. (Corbis)

Brownie31

Saturday, November 29, 1919 The Polo Grounds Manhattan: The annual Army-Navy game attracts a distinguished crowd in this first post-World War I year. Meeting before the game are, from left, Gen. Peyton C. March, Secretary of War Newton Baker, Gen. John J. Pershing, Secretary of the Navy Josephus Daniels, Assistant Secretary of the Navy Franklin D. Roosevelt and Rear Admiral Scales, Superintendent of the U.S. Naval Academy. Navy's Midshipmen emerged victorious 6-0, their first win over the Army Cadets since 1912. (Corbis)

Brownie31

Polo Grounds Picture Thread.

POLO GROUNDS VIDEO - Probably 1930's

Great video from youtube, originally posted by Elvis in the "you gotta see this" thread in this forum.

The first 45 seconds is of a football game from Yankee Stadium. The rest of the video is from Army-Navy at the Polo Grounds.

You can see the infield dirt on the right hand side of the screen. The football goalposts appear to be right at home plate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URfkVLCtn8k

Boring, are you kidding! I love this stuff. Good explanation. I attended every Giants' football game played in Yankee Stadium in the sixties, so I'm quite familiar with what you are saying. Thanks again, Richard.
    Charles

Aviero

Pessoa

Soccer stadiums are a VERY different animal... and I adore "the beautiful game." With stadium culture as it is in the USA right now, these two stadiums would be seen as monstrosities by most baseball fans.

Glass and steel does not always work.... see the New Soldier Field in Chicago. I've been there a few times, and although I'm far from an architecture student, I think the place is hideous, and years from now, it will be an eyesore.

I have no problem with HoK.
    Last edited by milladrive; 04-17-2012 at 03:41 PM.

Polo Grounds Seating Diagram

Here is a seating diagram of the polo grounds from the back of a ticket stub from 1927.
    LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Hello Donald,

Its interesting to see a stub with that kind of information...

Also, I notice that the outfield perimeter narrows inward a few rows from the
    foul pole region. Would it be safe to assume that temporary stands were erected at field level extending backwards to the LF & RF walls?

I know that Yankee Stadium had for a time erected temporary field stands for football games along the bleachers' crescent in LF and the angle in RF.

Dennis
    BrooklynDodger14

Polo Grounds

Quote Originally Posted by brooklyndodger14 View Post
    Hello Donald,

Its interesting to see a stub with that kind of information...

Also, I notice that the outfield perimeter narrows inward a few rows from the
    foul pole region. Would it be safe to assume that temporary stands were erected at field level extending backwards to the LF & RF walls?

I know that Yankee Stadium had for a time erected temporary field stands for football games along the bleachers' crescent in LF and the angle in RF.

Dennis
    BrooklynDodger14
    Hello Dennis. that stub is from a 1927 football game at the polo grounds.
    LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesteve32 View Post
    Multipurpose Big A for a Rams game. Ruined a great baseball only park for this:
    That's not even a good football stadium. Fans at one end of the endzone are close to the field, and the fans at the other end of the endzone are jipped.

N.Y. Nationals and New Bedford Whalers at Polo Grounds, N.Y

Parks in football configuration

Here are some really interesting pictures I found of AT&T Park set up for a football game.

Use this thread to post pictures of other baseball stadiums in football configuration... either parks designed for baseball with football stadiums squeezed in, or cookie cutters designed for both.

Page 4 of 88 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast