Page 35 of 114 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast

Thread: Ballparks in Configuration for Football, Hockey, Boxing, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mets16 View Post
    Considering that with the exception of an odd few years in a 15 year span, no Canadian team showed up in the finals, nor won the Stanley Cup. And how 2 teams were taken from Canada in 1995 sure speaks volumes at how the NHL can indeed survive, and quite well without Canada. Sure there are a few teams (Phoenix) that don't deserve teams. But for the most part, the recent expansion teams have welcomed the NHL with open arms.
    I don't think it has much to do with winning, it's attendance and TV ratings.

Last season 5 of the 6 Canadian teams were in the top 10 in attendance.
    Last edited by Coach Bombay; 12-20-2009 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Bombay View Post
    I don't think it has much to do with winning, it's attendance and TV ratings.
    Well, that's true. Post lockout (2005) the ratings became even worse. ESPN not renewing their contract, forcing OLN, now Versus to take over, causing many cable companies heartache. But when all your country has one sport with the exception of 2, yes 2 total professional teams, the ratings should blow everyone else away.

Well, that's true. Post lockout (2005) the ratings became even worse. ESPN not renewing their contract, forcing OLN, now Versus to take over, causing many cable companies heartache. But when all your country has one sport with the exception of 2, yes 2 total professional teams, the ratings should blow everyone else away.
    I assume you mean the Blue Jays and Raptors. But what about the CFL?

Quote Originally Posted by whitesox901 View Post
    I assume you mean the Blue Jays and Raptors. But what about the CFL?
    I was referring to the 3 sports the US and Canada have a link to

Quote Originally Posted by koufax View Post
    why would the NHL hold this game in some nothing stadium in the middle of Canada?

Canadians do not need this gimmick to interest them in hockey. Americans, unfortunately kinda do.

not many people are going to spend New Years Day watching the Flames play the Ducks in some nowhere Stadium in Alberta. wed all be like wtf? whens the next Bowl Game???
    I wonder if they would consider using Rodgers Centre with the roof opened? That would certainly be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis2051 View Post
    I wonder if they would consider using Rodgers Centre with the roof opened? That would certainly be interesting.
    someone here posted that they thought even with the roof opened the skydome would feel like an indoor place.

I think the winter classic is a gimmick (albeit a good one) that will eventually run its course once Yankee Stadium hosts...how many other truly special stadiums left are there? Dodger Stadium, but who wants to see an outdoor hockey game in 60 degree sunshine?

will they do football stadiums like the new meadowlands or Soldier Field?

Why not Dodger Stadium. Hell, the future of the franchise will be skating on thin ice with the McCourts battling each other so why not provide a rink and charge admission.

But then, will the typical SoCal fans show up at the beginning of the second period and leave at the end of it?

I was referring to the 3 sports the US and Canada have a link to
    Gotchya.

someone here posted that they thought even with the roof opened the skydome would feel like an indoor place.

I think the winter classic is a gimmick (albeit a good one) that will eventually run its course once Yankee Stadium hosts...how many other truly special stadiums left are there? Dodger Stadium, but who wants to see an outdoor hockey game in 60 degree sunshine?

will they do football stadiums like the new meadowlands or Soldier Field?
    the NHL would rather use baseball because the fans are closer to the rink. Thats what i read last year.

Quote Originally Posted by li7039 View Post
    the NHL would rather use baseball because the fans are closer to the rink. Thats what i read last year.
    It also has a lot to do with the fact that, in the winter, baseball stadiums aren't being used at all. Therefore theres no reason to have to worry about only having a week to set up and take down the rink + repair field conditions.

Considering that with the exception of an odd few years in a 15 year span, no Canadian team showed up in the finals, nor won the Stanley Cup. And how 2 teams were taken from Canada in 1995 sure speaks volumes at how the NHL can indeed survive, and quite well without Canada. Sure there are a few teams (Phoenix) that don't deserve teams. But for the most part, the recent expansion teams have welcomed the NHL with open arms.
    I think the American teams are pretty happy with the cash CBC pays for HNIC, and TSN for their deals... don't be fooled, Canada keeps the NHL alive. We are the ones that that cap season tickets at 17,000 so that 1,500 can be sold individually for each game I go down to the Staples Center in LA and get to hear about 2 for 1 tickets for November...
    Check out some demos from my upcoming album: http://www.myspace.com/le_serge

Detroit would be a great place for this. Great place to hold it in Comerica Park, it would be good for the city and you know you would get a huge draw, even some from Canada considering its right there.

Quote Originally Posted by DClutch View Post
    Detroit would be a great place for this. Great place to hold it in Comerica Park, it would be good for the city and you know you would get a huge draw, even some from Canada considering its right there.
    Tiger Stadium would have been unreal

With the views it provides, PNC would also make a great venue for it. Imagine the shots of Crosby and Malkin on the ice with the city of Pittsburgh behind it. Would be unreal. Bettman would cream himself.
    "Obviously, no one wants to fail. But who's to say that failure's not a good thing masked in the wisdom that you can't see at that point? I just try to look at the positive." - Khalil Greene

They would probably have to do it at Heinz Field, to accommodate the huge crowds. The turf is all tore up to hell at Heinz anyway around that time of year.
    No one can make you
    Do what they want to
    You know you're stronger
    Than the lies
    That they tell you

Tiger Stadium would have been unreal
    no opportunities for pan camera shots from the ice to downtown (building is too tall), besides it's the detroit downtown anyway. you have to remember that the broadcaster has a lot of say over where this event will happen and they are interested in the pictures...

I posted this image back in July...ironically, I just found out today that it was Notre Dame/Army from 1969...

Oh, and there's a huge possibility that my friend and I are getting tickets. Someone came into our work, and he and this lady talked it up, somehow she has a connection and we may be on our way to Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat Bailey View Post
    I think the American teams are pretty happy with the cash CBC pays for HNIC, and TSN for their deals... don't be fooled, Canada keeps the NHL alive. We are the ones that that cap season tickets at 17,000 so that 1,500 can be sold individually for each game I go down to the Staples Center in LA and get to hear about 2 for 1 tickets for November...
    LA sucked for a while though. They still got 16000 per game so they are a good market.

The trop (thunderdome) set up for hockey:

And football (St. Petersburg bowl/UFL):

Last edited by Anubis2051; 12-25-2009 at 08:48 AM.

Page 35 of 114 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast