Page 5 of 71 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Safeco Field

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
    that's just like asking why was kurt cobain so depressed? (besides the fact that his wife was and probably still is a crack addict) It's always raining in Seattle.
    Did you not read the first post?

Quote Originally Posted by mrakbaseball View Post
    Those other cities probably do get more rainfall during the baseball season, but a retractable roof is good thing to have. If a roof will prevent rainouts and delays, why not build one?
    Because they're frigging expensive.

If there's no compelling reason to build one, such as an abnormally high percentage of games affected by weather, then cities shouldn't spring for one.

I believe, though I have no available data, that Seattle also suffers from the southern miami/marlins problem of it raining some amount almost every day (during certain seasons). Of actual rain, those other cities might get more but that's because when it rains in those cities it pours. In Seattle, even when it's not actually raining, there are a lot of gloomy overcast days with constant mist. Notice they didn't put the Seahawks in a dome. Football can be played (and should be) in that kind of weather climate.

And besides Safeco is an awesome looking retractible dome park... (from the pictures at least, I won't get there until 2011)

Two words: opening day 2008.

There's one thing to remember - the Mariners cover the entire Pacific Northwest. Reality or not, people think of Seattle as rainy and won't drive long distances if they're afraid of a rainout and tickets they can't use.
    "Shake it off. That's part of the game, you know. Baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and a shot in the mask." - Bob Uecker.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBear View Post
    There's one thing to remember - the Mariners cover the entire Pacific Northwest. Reality or not, people think of Seattle as rainy and won't drive long distances if they're afraid of a rainout and tickets they can't use.
    How can that be a factor? I'm sure the fan base within 50 miles of the Mariners is not much different than the fan base within 50 miles of Pittsburgh or Cincinnati.

Furthermore, if football can be played in the rain, why can't baseball be played in the rain. Not to mention that baseball often is played in the rain.

Agreed. We come from Vancouver, BC (with the border ,its about 3 hours) to Safeco. Its really great knowing that the game will be on rain or not.I was at a game in 99 or 2000 when it was raining at game time(pouring actually)..about 2 innings after the start it cleared up and, to the sound of "Here Comes the Sun"
    by the Beatles, they opened up the roof..and the crowd went wild! If there was no roof ,based on the heavy rain early that day, the start would have been delayed or outright postponed.You have to live in Washington,BC or Oregon to understand the need for a retractable roof. s

Quote Originally Posted by Brad MCdonald View Post
    Agreed. We come from Vancouver, BC (with the border ,its about 3 hours) to Safeco. Its really great knowing that the game will be on rain or not.I was at a game in 99 or 2000 when it was raining at game time(pouring actually)..about 2 innings after the start it cleared up and, to the sound of "Here Comes the Sun"
    by the Beatles, they opened up the roof..and the crowd went wild! If there was no roof ,based on the heavy rain early that day, the start would have been delayed or outright postponed.You have to live in Washington,BC or Oregon to understand the need for a retractable roof. s
    I was at a game there about three years ago. Up until about 30 minutes before game time, it was heavily overcast with intermittent showers. Then it cleared up and was bright and sunny from about 15 minutes before game time throughout the whole afternoon. Yet they didn't open the roof. The locals explained to me it was because if they start the game with the roof closed, then they are required by MLB rules to keep it shut. Makes no sense to me.

If post season games can be played in the rain, then regular season games should be played in the rain. I'd like to think that baseball players aren't a bunch of sissies like golfers are.

What are you talking about BiZmaRK? You can't play baseball in a downpour. A light drizzle, maybe.

If the Seattle weather is anything like here in South Florida, regardless of the rainfall statistics, it looks like it is going to rain every afternoon in the summer. It's hard to get motivated to drive 3 hours even if it might not be raining at the ballpark at game time. Knowing the game will go on is a nice thing that would help attendance here.

When I was in Seattle in 06, it never stopped raining or misting the whole time I was there. The roof was closed, and we wouldn't have seen a game there if they didn't have the roof
    1997 2003
    Parks I've visited: 30 for 30, plus 5 closed

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle1 View Post
    What are you talking about BiZmaRK? You can't play baseball in a downpour. A light drizzle, maybe.
    Yes, you can play in a downpour.

Quote Originally Posted by marlins739 View Post
    If the Seattle weather is anything like here in South Florida, regardless of the rainfall statistics, it looks like it is going to rain every afternoon in the summer. It's hard to get motivated to drive 3 hours even if it might not be raining at the ballpark at game time. Knowing the game will go on is a nice thing that would help attendance here.

When I was in Seattle in 06, it never stopped raining or misting the whole time I was there. The roof was closed, and we wouldn't have seen a game there if they didn't have the roof
    As I indicated earlier, Seattle gets less days of measurable precipitation and less overall rainfall from April to September than cities such as Cleveland, New York, Baltimore, Atlanta and Detroit.

Despite being on the margin of the rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains, the city has a reputation for frequent rain.[61] This reputation derives from this frequency of precipitation as well as the fact that it is cloudy an average of 226 days per year (cf. 132 in New York City).[58] Nonetheless, the so-called "rainy city" receives a smaller quantity of actual precipitation annually, at 37.1 inches (94 cm)[62], than New York City, Atlanta, Houston, and most cities of the Eastern Seaboard of the United States. Seattle was also not listed in a study that revealed the 10 Rainiest Cities in the continental United States. [63] Most of the precipitation falls as drizzle or light rain, with only occasional downpours. Spring, late fall, and winter are filled with days when it does not rain but looks as if it might because of cloudy, overcast skies. Winters are cool and wet with average lows around 3540 F (24 C) on winter nights. Colder weather can occur, but seldom lasts more than a few days. Summers are dry and warm, with average daytime highs around 7380 F (22.226.7 C). Hotter weather usually occurs only during a few summer days. Seattle's hottest official recorded temperature was 100 F (37.8 C) on July 20, 1994; the coldest recorded temperature was 0 F (-18 C) on January 31, 1950.[62]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle,_Washington

okay, so it doesn't actually rain there that much... I'm still pro-retractible roof if it's done with as much style and class as SafeCo Field... Matter of fact, I still want my Minnesota retractible roof... are you now going to tell me that it's not freezing fricken' cold there and snows nine and half months out of the year?!

Quote Originally Posted by BiZmaRK View Post
    As I indicated earlier, Seattle gets less days of measurable precipitation and less overall rainfall from April to September than cities such as Cleveland, New York, Baltimore, Atlanta and Detroit.
    It can rain a lot in April. Also, imagine the Mariners finally make the World Series, and an early storm blows in off the Pacific in October that year. One of those bad storms with lots of rain and wind for several days on end right when the Series is in Seattle for three games. Having the roof just for those three days alone makes the whole thing worth it. Not to mention all the other rain days it prevents from time to time.

And no you really can't play baseball in a downpour. It's dangerous for the batters for one thing because it's a lot harder to see the pitched ball.

Halfway between the Dodgers and the Angels
    The Mariners are, by far, the farthest away in average distance from the other teams in baseball. Make up dates wound reak havoc because of this. The leagues like to run a tight schedule, and the TV networks dont have the time for them to dilly-dally around.

They are the closest team to Alaska, Washington, and parts of Oregon, Idaho and Montana, plus a good chunk of Canada. People would be pissed to show up at a rainout.

Quote Originally Posted by Power Wally View Post
    The Mariners are, by far, the farthest away in average distance from the other teams in baseball. Make up dates wound reak havoc because of this. The leagues like to run a tight schedule, and the TV networks dont have the time for them to dilly-dally around.

They are the closest team to Alaska, Washington, and parts of Oregon, Idaho and Montana, plus a good chunk of Canada. People would be pissed to show up at a rainout.
    Do you think people aren't pissed when they show up for a game in Cincinnati, Atlanta, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Boston or Detroit and the game is postponed due to rain?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
    that's just like asking why was kurt cobain so depressed? (besides the fact that his wife was and probably still is a crack addict)
    Did you know it is a myth that Kurt Cobain was depressed? The only person who said that a lot was Courtney Love in the months leading up to his murder. That's because she was calculatingly painting a public picture of him as a depressed, suicidal rocker who could off himself at anytime. Then it came as no surprise when she paid for a professional hit to get rid of him and have it staged to look like a suicide. People thought, 'oh yeah I guess that makes sense,' but in reality it was all manipulative Courtney Love the whole time.

If you're interested in learning more, spend some serious time here:

http://www.cobaincase.com

Believe me, I've had tickets to see the Brewers play the Red Sox at Fenway and had the game rained out. It's a bummer after going all that way. (I made up for it by going to see John Williams conduct the Boston Pops, which ain't a bad bit of substitute programming.) It's no fun. But I'm just a one-time visitor. Imagine a Mariners fan from Juneau who flies into Seattle at great expense only to get a rainout. He won't come back every year. Or groups that make plans for a long bus trip from Idaho or Oregon. That's one reason Kansas City kept Astroturf in Kaufmann Stadium, and the Reds the same in Riverfront. It's not an absolute but it's something to consider.

At least the Mariners kept it at a roof, not totally enclosing the building.
    "Shake it off. That's part of the game, you know. Baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and a shot in the mask." - Bob Uecker.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBear View Post
    Believe me, I've had tickets to see the Brewers play the Red Sox at Fenway and had the game rained out. It's a bummer after going all that way. (I made up for it by going to see John Williams conduct the Boston Pops, which ain't a bad bit of substitute programming.) It's no fun. But I'm just a one-time visitor. Imagine a Mariners fan from Juneau who flies into Seattle at great expense only to get a rainout. He won't come back every year. Or groups that make plans for a long bus trip from Idaho or Oregon. That's one reason Kansas City kept Astroturf in Kaufmann Stadium, and the Reds the same in Riverfront. It's not an absolute but it's something to consider.

At least the Mariners kept it at a roof, not totally enclosing the building.
    Who is to say a Red Sox fan won't drive in from Burlington, Vermont at great expense to see a Red Sox game? Or a Braves fan drives in from Wilmington, North Carolina to see a Braves game. Or a Tigers fan drives in all the way from Ishpeming on the upper peninsula to see a Tigers fan. These fans travel great distances to see their teams, but they're not guaranteed a game. Why should fans in the Pacific Northwest be so special?

At least a Twins fan who drives in all the way from Minot, North Dakota will be guaranteed a game.

Question

BiZmaRK are you a troll?

Page 5 of 71 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast