Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 09 WBC venues, pools, and rules changes announced

I like they change of rules and the bracket style format in the 2nd round were teams dont have to play each other 3 times. However there is one thing that I have a problem with that hasnt been announced yet. that is pitch count, i disagreed with the pitch count rules especially in the semi final and final rounds. you can't limit a star pitcher to 90 pitches for 2 rounds that is barely 6 innings. take a look at cuba, there two best pitchers in 2006 were yadel marti and pedro lazo, yet they couldnt pitch the final because they had already pitch in the semi final. And obviously cuba had to take their semi final opponent seriously because it was the DR. It might have been a different game if Marti and Lazo were pitching also in the final game. I think the difference between the semi and final game should be a 3 day wait, giving pitchers a chance to rest. Teams like Venezuela and the US dont have these kind of problems because of depth in pitching. Venezuela, got Santana, Zambrano, Garcia, Hernandez, Rodriguez, Escobar. So if one can't pitch the other can. But even if u used santana in the semi final wouldnt you want him to be able to pitch in the Final, I mean the best pitcher around and u can't put him in the game. You do not take out Jordan in game 7 because he played too much in game 6, if he wants to play he should play. Now I understand that MLB teams want to protect their investments. But if you think about it only 2 pitchers in the WBC 2006 pitched over 14 innings. Now obviously you cant always use the same pitching tandem in the beginning but i think in the end you should be able to use all pitchers as you want in the final round. That is if you make it

Quote Originally Posted by Rally Monkey View Post
    Interesting article posted at MLB.com about Dolphin Stadium's bid to be a WBC venue in 2009:

http://http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080329&content_id=2465296&vkey=n ews_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb.

Sounds like Miami's still in the running to host the second round--probably the winners of Pool C (likely USA and Venezuela) and Pool D (Puerto Rico and the DR).

Funny, because by all accounts Dolphin Stadium is one of the worst places in the US to watch baseball. But it'd make sense for travel reasons, I suppose.

I will be surprised if Miami hosts any later rounds. If Cuba advances, this will be a headache for MLB.

According to this press account from the Sun-Sentinal, Miami's bid to host the second round of the 2009 WBC is still alive. And it seems that the WBC organizers are now hoping to finally select the second round venues sometime in June--not spring, as earlier expected:

[T]he Marlins' president...said the club is still awaiting word from Major League Baseball on South Florida's bid to host the second round of the 2009 World Baseball Classic. A decision that was expected by late April has been delayed until June.
    See here (scroll down):

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/b...,6066541.story

Oh, and one more thing:

Quote Originally Posted by Cubano100% View Post
    I will be surprised if Miami hosts any later rounds. If Cuba advances, this will be a headache for MLB.
    Perhaps not. I agree that the WBC organizers would be taking a big risk if they placed the Cuban national team in Miami for Round 2. But remember that Cuba will play in Pool B in the first round, and the winner and runner-up in that pool will meet the top-two finishers in the Pool A, the Asian grouping. I highly doubt that the WBC would pick a second round site for the Pool A winners that's as far east as Miami. The travel from Tokyo would be brutal.

More likely, I think, is that Pool A and Pool B will meet in a west coast city. (San Diego is the place I keep hearing mentioned.) And that would put Team Cuba very far away from Miami.

So I don't think political considerations would sink Miami's bid to host the tournament's second round. If anything should, it's the lousy ballpark and mediocre fans they've got there....

Quote Originally Posted by Rally Monkey View Post
    According to this press account from the Sun-Sentinal, Miami's bid to host the second round of the 2009 WBC is still alive. And it seems that the WBC organizers are now hoping to finally select the second round venues sometime in June--not spring, as earlier expected:

See here (scroll down):

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/b...,6066541.story

Oh, and one more thing:

Perhaps not. I agree that the WBC organizers would be taking a big risk if they placed the Cuban national team in Miami for Round 2. But remember that Cuba will play in Pool B in the first round, and the winner and runner-up in that pool will meet the top-two finishers in the Pool A, the Asian grouping. I highly doubt that the WBC would pick a second round site for the Pool A winners that's as far east as Miami. The travel from Tokyo would be brutal.

More likely, I think, is that Pool A and Pool B will meet in a west coast city. (San Diego is the place I keep hearing mentioned.) And that would put Team Cuba very far away from Miami.

So I don't think political considerations would sink Miami's bid to host the tournament's second round. If anything should, it's the lousy ballpark and mediocre fans they've got there....

Better they should consider St. Pete. At least there won't be any rain delays/rainouts...
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

The only way the Marlins will host any 2009 WBC games is if every other ballpark in North America implodes between now and next March. The Marlins' current stadium is hardly a showcase for international baseball, the Marlins don't draw flies, and the union -- which is a major partner in the WBC -- hates the Marlins' ownership because they pocket (steal) millions of dollars of revenue-sharing money every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Agente Libre View Post
    The only way the Marlins will host any 2009 WBC games is if every other ballpark in North America implodes between now and next March. The Marlins' current stadium is hardly a showcase for international baseball, the Marlins don't draw flies, and the union -- which is a major partner in the WBC -- hates the Marlins' ownership because they pocket (steal) millions of dollars of revenue-sharing money every year.
    I associate myself with these remarks.

Blog Entries
    Put the games in Orlando.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Put the games in Orlando.
    The ballpark at the Disney sports complex in Orlando only seats 7500. It was the venue for the opening round in the '06 Classic. It's a great spot from what I've seen. Just way too small for the second round. Won't happen.

I wonder if MLB would consider playing games in non-traditional baseball stadiums? What I mean is perhaps they would play a second round pool in New Orleans or at one of the large Southern College Football stadiums?

As an aside, does anyone know when tickets go on sale for the first round?

Blog Entries
    Maybe the stadium in Orlando can be expanded. I am from Ft. Lauderdale and I do not think south Florida deserves it yet because unless the other team is wearing a New York or Boston or maybe a Cub uniform, the fans will not come. I am worried because Dolphin Stadium may filled to less than 25% capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Maybe the stadium in Orlando can be expanded. I am from Ft. Lauderdale and I do not think south Florida deserves it yet because unless the other team is wearing a New York or Boston or maybe a Cub uniform, the fans will not come. I am worried because Dolphin Stadium may filled to less than 25% capacity.
    I don't think anyone holds Marlins fans in higher contempt than I do. But, to be fair, Miamians' dismaying disinterest in the Fightin' Fish shouldn't, by itself, be a reason to nix WBC games in South Florida. If you recall the 2006 Classic semi-finals and finals in San Diego, many of the fans in the crowds hailed from ethnic communities in Southern California. Who can forget the thousands of Korean-Americans who bussed down from L.A. to cheer on Team Korea in the semi-finals against Japan?

As I understand it, Flordia has the second largest population of Puerto Ricans in the U.S. The largest concentration of Venezuelans in the U.S. lives in the Miami suburbs. And Florida has the third largest concentration of Dominicans in the nation--mostly living in Broward County.

All three of those countries are likely to advance to the second round of the 2009 WBC. And, given its demographics, South Florida is probably the smartest place to put that round. Too bad Dolphin Stadium is such a lame place, or Miami would be a shoe-in, I think, to host some games.

Once Miami's new ballpark is up-and-running in 2013, expect that year's WBC semi-finals and finals to be in South Florida.
    Last edited by Rally Monkey; 05-30-2008 at 09:34 AM.

i heard from a reporter in lider magainze in venezuela and a cuban source that LA angels stadium is most likely the venue for the finals. I hope they announce the tickets soon cuz i cant wait to buy them and cheeer for venezuela.

Blog Entries
    Excellent choice. How big will this event be in Venezuela?

Quote Originally Posted by quinnystar27 View Post
    i heard from a reporter in lider magainze in venezuela and a cuban source that LA angels stadium is most likely the venue for the finals.
    This would be a bit of a surprise. Until now, all I've read is that Dodger Stadium is the likely site for the finals. The rumors I've read online have also predicted that PETCO Park would host one of the second round pools. So if the WBC goes with Anaheim, one of those other sites would be out in the cold. Too bad, because PETCO and Dodger Stadium are far, far, far, far, far superior to the Big A.

Mexico City venue in trouble?

This intreresting article reports that a lot of work still needs to be done to get the Foro del Sol site up to snuff to host the first round of the WBC next March:

http://www.radionuevitas.co.cu/web_e...s_040708_1.asp

Apparently, MLB officials inspected the stadium and reported that improvements need to be made to the seating and lighting. But they also concluded that they believe the stadium will be ready by March. Somehow, that doesn't seem as certain to me as I'd want to hear.

Blog Entries

Question

Does anyone think that Minute Maid Park in Houston has a chance of hosting a WBC round?

correction and question

hey guys I apologize i made a mistake in my reply that the final stadiums could be the angels stadium well the Venezuelan magazine stated that it could LA angels stadium or LA dodgers stadium. But PETCO park is till a favorite for the semi finals. Also guys do you know anything about the managers from the WBC teams. I know the domincans named Alou as their manager, venezuela is deciding between luis sojo and alfredo perique, cuba higno velez is now the head of cuban baseball federation so I dont know if he will continue to manage the team directly. I dont know much about everybody else so if any knows please share.

Quote Originally Posted by quinnystar27 View Post
    hey guys I apologize i made a mistake in my reply that the final stadiums could be the angels stadium well the Venezuelan magazine stated that it could LA angels stadium or LA dodgers stadium. But PETCO park is till a favorite for the semi finals. Also guys do you know anything about the managers from the WBC teams. I know the domincans named Alou as their manager, venezuela is deciding between luis sojo and alfredo perique, cuba higno velez is now the head of cuban baseball federation so I dont know if he will continue to manage the team directly. I dont know much about everybody else so if any knows please share.
    According to this recent article, Vinnie Castilla is the likely manager for Team Mexico:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/b...,5869929.story

This is a bit off-topic, but the article also identifies some of Vinnie's top-picks for position players. Alfredo Amezaga (Marlins) will start at shortstop, and Jorge Cantu (Marlins) will play third--possibly as a starter, unless (get this) Vinnie can convince Eric Chavez (A's) to play for Team Mexico. (Chavez is Mexican-American, but was born in LA and went to school in San Diego. I haven't read this anywhere else, but this could mean that the WBC's, ahem, loose citizenship rules for players will remain in effect. And that could mean we'll see a load of Triple-A players from Jersey starting for Team Italy again!)

Hasn't Eric Chavez played for Team USA in the past?

I'd like to see USA Baseball and MLB keep Davey Johnson at the helm for the WBC...
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Hasn't Eric Chavez played for Team USA in the past?
    Chavez was listed on the 60-man preliminary or provisional roster for the USA prior to the 2006 WBC, but was not on the 30-man actual roster for the event.

fingers crossed

I sure hope they clear up the Mexico City thing as soon as possible. That is where I plan on going for the first round. The semi's seem like they are going to be played in my backyard, San Diego, and the finals are nice and close as well. It's shaping up to be a good tournament. Hopefully a chunk of the 2nd round games fall on days off already but I'll make sacrifices so no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglandAmazins View Post
    Does anyone think that Minute Maid Park in Houston has a chance of hosting a WBC round?
    Houston submitted a bid and was listed last year as one of the venues under consideration for hosting a round. But I haven't seen anything in the press that suggests it's still under consideration. My money for the second round is on Petco Park in San Diego and (ahem) Dolphin Stadium in Miami (or wherever it is). But who knows?

I wonder what's taking the WBC so long to name the sites. This was all suppose to be done months ago!

Are you talking about Miami for 2009, or for 2013? There's not a snowball's chance in hell of Miami hosting the WBC finals in 2009.

Are you talking about Miami for 2009, or for 2013? There's not a snowball's chance in hell of Miami hosting the WBC finals in 2009.
    2009. Perhaps you're right. But, as it's been reported elsewhere, Miami still claims it's in the running to host next year's WBC. And it makes a lot of sense to have it there--even though the MLB fans and stadium are among the worst in the U.S.

But as I said, who knows?

(By the way, if the new Miami ballpark is up-and-running in '13, I would expect it to be a lock to host the WBC semis and final that year.)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast