13. Ed Delahanty
        14. Mike Schmidt
        15. Johnny Bench
        16. Mike Piazza
        17. Ernie Banks
        18. Hank Greenberg
        19. Robin Yount
        20. Dale Murphy
        Bench over Piazza as hitters makes absolutely zero sense, no matter what stats you look at. If we're only talking offense, Bench probably doesn't even make the top 60 right handers.
        My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
        2. Barry Bonds
        3. Ty Cobb
        4. Ted Williams
        5. Willie Mays
        6. Alex Rodriguez
        7. Hank Aaron
        8. Honus Wagner
        9. Lou Gehrig
        10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

• stejay
          Yada Yada Yada
          • Aug 2007

Oh sorry man, my bad. Read the title wrong. I thought it said, top right handed batters of all time. I have edited it now.
          MySpace Codes

Comment

• swingman24
            • Nov 2006

1.Rogers Hornsby
            2.Honus Wagner
            3.Jimmie Foxx
            4.Joe Dimaggio
            5.Willie Mays
            6.Hank Aaron
            7.Frank Thomas
            8.Mike Piazza
            9.Manny Ramirez
            10.Alex Rodriguez
            11.Vladimir Guerrero
            12.Edgar Martinez
            13.Mike Schimdt
            14.Frank Robinson
            15.Albert Pujols(assuming he plays at least another 7 or 8 years he will be higher)
            16.Ralph Kiner
            17.Hank Greenberg
            18.Jeff Bagwell
            19.Harmon Killebrew
            20.Ernie Banks

Mantle should be there somewhere but being a switch hitter,was'nt sure how to rank him. This is not an exact rank because I did'nt have the time but I'm pretty sure this would be my top 20 more or less.
            "I would walk through hell in a gasoline suit just to play baseball."-Pete Rose

Comment

• Murderers Row
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by blackout805 View Post
              why are right handed hitters in general not as good? 1 in every 9 people is left handed, so there's 8 times the talent pool of righties to choose from right?

anywho

Rogers Hornsby
              Josh Gibson
              Jimmie Foxx
              Hank Aaron
              Willie Mays
              Joe Dimaggio
              Alex Rodriguez (climbing season by season)
              Vlad Guerrero (with SB's I rate him above Manny)
              Manny Ramirez
              Hank Greenberg

give Pujols a few years and he'll be on the list

today on the radio I was hearing people say Manny was the best right handed hitter they had seen in the last 40-50 years. not sure if I can agree on that.
              Who were you listening to? Mike and The MadDog? Those guys are numbskulls. And Manny is a better hitter than Vlad, and it really isn't close.
              Ball game over. World Series over! Yankees win thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Yankees win!

Comment

• SHOELESSJOE3
                • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Proctor, CF View Post
                Because they face mostly right-handed pitchers, they're closer to first, right-field fences are often shorter, and they're exposed to more testosterone while in the fetus. Plus, they're more sinister.

How's that for a guess?
                I'm putting that one on the top the greater number of RH pitchers.
                One more thats probably minimal but over the course of a whole careeer could mean more hits over the long haul.

In the case when there is a runner on first and they choose to hold the runner on, the LH batter has a bigger hole to hit through, between the first and second baseman.

Comment

• SHOELESSJOE3
                  • Jan 2000

Originally posted by hellborn View Post
                  I know that the Italian word for left is "sinistre"...one word that's handy to know for understanding directions ("destre" for right). The word "sinister" means what it does to us because of the long standing reputation of left handed people...

I'd say that Frank Thomas at his best was more impressive than Manny, although Manny has been far more consistent throughout his career. I like Manny's swing a lot better, Frank had a base hitter's stroke but 300 lbs of muscle behind it. Frank would hit some balls that would just scare the crud out of infielders.
                  I'm going to make a list by era, sort of...
                  Anson
                  Delahanty
                  Wagner
                  Hornsby
                  Beast
                  Greenberg
                  Clipper
                  Kiner
                  Mays
                  Aaron
                  F Robby
                  Allen
                  Killebrew
                  Schmidt
                  Frank Thomas
                  Manny
                  ARod

The advantage that lefty hitters have in compiling good numbers as hitters is huge...I think that a typical platoon differential is about .100 for OPS, which is a LOT.
                  One thing to remember is that not all lefty hitters are actually left handed...Cobb and Ted Williams, for example, were both righty throwers. The advantage to hitting left becomes obvious even at a young age...anyway, the breakdown of hitters into lefty/righty does not follow the population's proportions of left handed and right handed people.
                  Do you think that Cobb and Williams were aware as kids that there was an advantage to batting left handed,not to say that was not true with certain players. I think it's not often thought out that way, it's just the way they were first taught. I know a number of guys I played ball with over the years that threw RH and batted LH. In their case as I know of it was not by design, just happened that way.

My theory on why there is a greater number of RH batters, more so years ago was because their first instructors, older friends, brothers, their fathers taught them to bat the way they did RH.

I can say with certainty that the generation that came before me and even earlier was comprised of more RH batters, the public and even MLB.

Countless times I saw fathers teach their sons the batting stance for the first time, same sight. The more often RH dad putting his son in the RH batting stance and standing behind him showing him how to swing............bring back memories.

Also more RH throwers when I was a kid. Anyone remember playing as a kid, there was always one or two LH throwers who had to use a RH mitt because there were not that many LH mitts around.

I would say most RH hitters batted that way for no special reason, only that their first teacher were more often RH themselves.

Comment

• Bill Burgess
                    • Oct 2003

I think that there are some things that one doesn't even have to think about. Batting RH/LH is one such thing. It's like writing. How many sit down and think about which hand to write with? No too many I'd imagine.

Same thing with sexual orientation. I know I never thought about it. I never asked myself if I liked girls or boys. Just naturally wanted to look at girls, think about them, fantasize about them, etc. Some things just happen, and we go with the path of least resistance. Who makes a conscious choice anyway? Few. Maybe some, but not most.

I don't think Dad's try to make their kids bat a particular way. Batting is determined by which side of one's brain is more dominant. If one's left side of their brains are more dominant, they write right-handed, bat RH, bowl RH, shoot a gun with their right hand, etc. The left side of the brain concerns order, organization, structure, while the right side of the brain concerns art, subjectivity, love, emotion, passion, etc.

That is not to say that anyone is all one side or the other. We're all all both, but one side will predominate. Like 60/40. We go back and forth all day long, every moment. It's called balance.

Comment

• Blackout
                      Circle of Bosses
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Murderers Row View Post
                      Who were you listening to? Mike and The MadDog? Those guys are numbskulls. And Manny is a better hitter than Vlad, and it really isn't close.
                      colin cowherd was the first to say it, then the 2nd was one of the afternoon guys (on the mike tirico show or steven a smith)

i don't know if Manny is better than Vlad, it's easy to put up big numbers in a star studded lineup. Vlad had nobody in montreal.

Comment

• Blackout
                        Circle of Bosses
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Westlake View Post
                        So, again, what do SBs have to do with hitting -- baserunning has nothing to do with hitting.
                        okay so i said "hitting"

i shouldve said "best offensive package" but whatever.

Comment

• Minstrel
                          • Dec 2006

i don't know if Manny is better than Vlad, it's easy to put up big numbers in a star studded lineup.
                          No, it isn't. Baseball is by far the most one-on-one of the team sports. There's virtually no offensive benefit to be gained from the talent of one's teammates (I don't count runs or RBI, because those aren't actually individual measures, regardless of their being used as such).

There isn't even evidence of the "protection" effect in all studies done on the subject.

Ramirez has better numbers than Guerrero because he's a superior hitter. Cleveland and Boston won more than Montreal due to having all those other stars.
                          "In the end it all comes down to talent. You can talk all you want about intangibles, I just don't know what that means. Talent makes winners, not intangibles. Can nice guys win? Sure, nice guys can win - if they're nice guys with a lot of talent. Nice guys with a little talent finish fourth and nice guys with no talent finish last." --Sandy Koufax

Comment

• Blackout
                            Circle of Bosses
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Minstrel View Post
                            No, it isn't. Baseball is by far the most one-on-one of the team sports. There's virtually no offensive benefit to be gained from the talent of one's teammates (I don't count runs or RBI, because those aren't actually individual measures, regardless of their being used as such).

There isn't even evidence of the "protection" effect in all studies done on the subject.

Ramirez has better numbers than Guerrero because he's a superior hitter. Cleveland and Boston won more than Montreal due to having all those other stars.

so are you telling me you don't see a difference in around Rondell White and Lee Stevens compared to Jim Thome?

Comment

• Minstrel
                              • Dec 2006

so are you telling me you don't see a difference in around Rondell White and Lee Stevens compared to Jim Thome?
                              I see a difference in the players' talent. It shows why Cleveland was a superior team to Montreal. It has no effect on what kind of hitters Manny Ramirez or Vladimir Guerrero were.
                              "In the end it all comes down to talent. You can talk all you want about intangibles, I just don't know what that means. Talent makes winners, not intangibles. Can nice guys win? Sure, nice guys can win - if they're nice guys with a lot of talent. Nice guys with a little talent finish fourth and nice guys with no talent finish last." --Sandy Koufax

Comment

• mtortolero
                                SaberVenezuelan
                                • May 2006

No love for Albert Belle (143 OPS+) or The Big Mac (162 OPS+)?
                                You have to suffer a revolution to know what are you talking about.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X