Thread: final roster surprises

Smile final roster surprises

Up here in Iowa we just don't get much spring training info. Are there any surprises as to what the opening day roster will be? Any of the prospects that have impressed? Thanx

Not really any suprises...Last outfield spot is between Blanco and Anderson. I think Anderson will get the nod for late pinch running ability. Yunel Escobar isn't a suprise so far to most of us but he will be to the rest of baseball. Backup catcher is still up in the air and Thorman's status is still questionable. Smoltz's injury is suprising though some radio guy around here think's he was already hurting. We've got Lillbridge and Schafer in the wings in case of any other injuries. knock on wood.

The bullpen is going to be taking shape the last few days, and probably a couple of other backup positions. Everything else is pretty much set in stone.

Quote Originally Posted by HitnRun View Post
    Thorman's status is still questionable.

That's true. I think Wren and Co. are trying to trade Thorman before Opening Day or soon after. For backup catcher either Corky or Pena will get it. I can't remember, but is Pena out of options this year?

Yeah, Pena is out of options. He most likely, I think will be traded. I think with Corky's defensive skills and Sammons potential, Pena will be traded.

I think the backup catcher's spot should've been Corky's all along.
    2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by 41-44-VB View Post
    Up here in Iowa we just don't get much spring training info. Are there any surprises as to what the opening day roster will be? Any of the prospects that have impressed? Thanx
    2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

I hope Sammons gets the backup job. Corky blows.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    I hope Sammons gets the backup job. Corky blows.
    I'd rather have him playing in Richmond. He is just 24. It doesn't really matter who is going to get the backup job, though, because Pena, Miller and Sammons are all slignificantly worse than McCann.