Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 538

Thread: Sam's Three Stars

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    9,616

    Sam's Three Stars

    The tradition continues!

    WASHINGTON 3, ATLANTA 2

    W - Jon Rauch (1-0)
    L - Peter Moylan (0-1)
    HR - ATL - Chipper Jones (1)
    WAS - Ryan Zimmerman (WO, 1)

    THREE STARS

    GOLD

    3B Ryan Zimmerman - 1-4, WO HR, R, RBI

    SILVER

    P Tim Hudson - 7 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO

    BRONZE

    P Odalis Perez - 5 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
    Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 03-30-2008 at 09:19 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    1,812
    Perez was better than i thought he would be. I thought we would get more than one run. Oh well.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    9,616
    Quote Originally Posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post
    Perez was better than i thought he would be. I thought we would get more than one run. Oh well.
    I thought the same thing, because... well, he's Odalis Perez. But, hey, it's only one game.

  4. #4
    I guess it was too cold for the bats to come alive last night. Like others, I was surprised that we weren't able to get more off of Perez. It must be something about that last name that the Braves have trouble with.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    9,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Extra Innings View Post
    I guess it was too cold for the bats to come alive last night. Like others, I was surprised that we weren't able to get more off of Perez. It must be something about that last name that the Braves have trouble with.
    Or former players, or people that seem to have their number, or people that they've never ever seen before, et cetera.

  6. #6
    Although I hate the Braves lost, it was nice to see a Carolina boy hit that walk off homer. It was a great night for the Nationals, and I think it was a great way to open that stadium.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    9,616
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaPreps View Post
    Although I hate the Braves lost, it was nice to see a Carolina boy hit that walk off homer. It was a great night for the Nationals, and I think it was a great way to open that stadium.
    We'll be seeing another opponent having a star tonight, for sure. Probably all of them.
    Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 03-31-2008 at 07:51 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    9,616
    Wild game. REALLY wild game.

    PITTSBURGH 12, ATLANTA 11, 12 inn.

    W - Franquelis Osoria (1-0)
    L - Blaine Boyer (0-1)
    HR - PIT - Xavier Nady 2 (2)
    Nate McLouth (1)
    ATL - Brian McCann (1)
    Jeff Francoeur (1)

    THREE STARS

    GOLD

    RF Xavier Nady - 4-7, 2B, 2 HR, 4 R, 4 RBI

    SILVER

    CF Nate McLouth - 3-5, HR, BB, 2 R, 4 RBI

    BRONZE

    SS Yunel Escobar - 3-4, 3B, 2 R, 2 BB, 3 RBI

    I request a sticky for my thread too, please.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    9,616
    This is more like it! Plus, we might have some controversy with the Stars this time. :P

    ATLANTA 10, PITTSBURGH 2

    W - Jair Jurrjens (1-0)
    L - Tom Gorzelanny (0-1)
    HR - Matt Diaz (1)
    Mark Teixeira (1)
    Yunel Escobar (1)

    GOLD

    P Jair Jurrjens - 5 1/3 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO, wins in Braves debut

    SILVER

    LF Matt Diaz - 2-4, HR, R, 2 RBI

    BRONZE

    2B Martin Prado - 2-4, 3B, 3 R, BB, RBI

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    1,812
    that edgar trade looked pretty good tonight. escobar and jurrigens were great! i don't think you could ask for a more complete game from the braves. good starting pitching, good offense(and defense) and great bullpen work.

  11. #11
    I think the bullpen should have gotten a star, or at least tied for one. I know I am not doing this I just thought I would let you know.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    9,616
    Quote Originally Posted by JoVision View Post
    I think the bullpen should have gotten a star, or at least tied for one. I know I am not doing this I just thought I would let you know.
    Well, that is the inherent flaw in the system, I suppose. However, in my defense, I will say that even though the bullpen did pitch 3 2/3 scoreless innings, no one stood out in particular. It sort of reflects how I felt. Although I like the end result, all those pitchers drove me NUTS!
    Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 04-03-2008 at 08:11 AM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    1,812
    Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    Well, that is the inherent flaw in the system, I suppose. However, in my defense, I will say that even though the bullpen did pitch 3 2/3 scoreless innings, no one stood out in particular. It sort of reflects how I felt. Although I like the end result, all those pitchers drove me NUTS!
    yea, i was a bit surprised then didn't let bennett start the seventh innings, when he spot was due up second in the bottom half of the inning. The only logic I could think of was saving him in case, hampton gets hurt, and then need a long reliever today.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    Well, that is the inherent flaw in the system, I suppose. However, in my defense, I will say that even though the bullpen did pitch 3 2/3 scoreless innings, no one stood out in particular. It sort of reflects how I felt. Although I like the end result, all those pitchers drove me NUTS!
    yeah i was talking about the bullpen in general, but i guess you can't really have 5 (i think it was 5) people getting one star.

  15. #15
    One things for sure, I hope that the gold tonight goes to Hampton with at least 6 IP.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    9,616
    Quote Originally Posted by JoVision View Post
    One things for sure, I hope that the gold tonight goes to Hampton with at least 6 IP.
    Hear hear.

    The only things that I was secure enough about the bullpen were Bennett not doing so badly, Royce Ring facing Adam LaRoche and my early insistence that Peter Moylan could have worked around that walk. Otherwise, I could have done without Chris Resop.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,108
    Quote Originally Posted by JoVision View Post
    One things for sure, I hope that the gold tonight goes to Hampton with at least 6 IP.
    That would make my day. 6 IP!
    2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    9,616
    Well, when your starter is scratched and your bullpen is already burnt out, crazy crap is bound to happen. Unfortunately, more crazy craps happened to the Braves.

    PITTSBURGH 4, ATLANTA 3, 10 INN.

    W - Tyler Yates (1-0)
    L - Chris Resop (0-1)
    S - Matt Capps (1)

    THREE STARS

    GOLD

    CF Nate McLouth - 1-5, 2B, R, two excellent catches in center field, one of which prevented two runs.

    SILVER

    P John Grabow - 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 SO

    BRONZE

    P Jeff Bennett - 4 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO

    Bennett doesn't REALLY deserve this that much, but I'm going to give him the last star because no one else had any particular impact on the scoreboard, Zach Duke blew up a bit, and well... there are the circumstances that made Bennett come out and pitch after doing it the past two games.

    RETROACTIVE AWARD: After giving it some thought, I have decided to award the Gold Star to Nate McLouth for his defense.
    Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 04-04-2008 at 01:45 PM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,269
    Wait, the best player of the game batted .250 with just a single, and the 3rd best player had a 4.50 ERA?
    The Dark Knight is the best movie I've ever seen.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    9,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade8813 View Post
    Wait, the best player of the game batted .250 with just a single, and the 3rd best player had a 4.50 ERA?
    It's not about who is the best, but who has the most impact, or other factors. Sometimes, the people with the best performances don't really have the most impact. Hell, sometimes it's on my own whims. That's why it's called "Sam's Three Stars".

    For example, look at the Braves' 10-2 win. I decided to give a star to Matt Diaz and Martin Prado and not Mark Teixeira or Yunel Escobar even though they both drove in more runs. Theirs ended up being insurance, especially Escobar's homer and three RBIs. Besides, Diaz was pretty good on the field too. Martin Prado had to start for Kelly Johnson and he did his best impersonation of him, and I thought hat was just great.

    Nady is the one that drove in the winning run, like he was supposed to do. Maybe Grabow should have been the gold star, because he held the Braves off so Nady could drive in the winning run. Maybe I should have given a star to Nate McLouth instead. He took an extra base hit away from Teixeira that would have meant two runs. He also got a liner off of Corky Miller's bat. Would you say that Matt Diaz or Chipper Jones should have been a star because they each had three singles? I can't in good conscience give a star to either of them.

    So many players had a 0.00 ERA in that game, too. I picked Bennett because of the circumstances of the game. He had pitched in the past two games and had to make a spot start because of Hampton. Having to throw 75 pitches when he's supposed to be getting rest is his job, and he did a damn good one considering what happened. So that is why he is the Bronze Star.

    I'm going to edit that gold star and give it to Nate McLouth instead.
    Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 04-04-2008 at 01:40 PM.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    9,616
    ATLANTA 11, NEW YORK 5

    W - Tim Hudson (1-0)
    L - John Maine (0-1)
    HR - Kelly Johnson (PH GS, 1)

    THREE STARS

    GOLD

    P Tim Hudson - 6 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 4 SO

    SILVER

    PH Kelly Johnson - 1-1, PH GS, R, 4 RBI

    BRONZE

    RF Jeff Francoeur - 3-5, 2B, R, 3 RBI

    Honorable Mention: Chipper Jones, 3-5, R, his second straight three-hit performance.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    398
    I had to mention your sig, STBF:

    The most frequent quote you'll hear out of Braves fans' mouths this season: "Andruw would have gotten that."
    I'm sure plenty of people said that about Kotsay's valiant effort yesterday. I was standing up near the big screen and thought he had it. I hate it, yet understand why, they never show a controversial play on the big screen. However everyone around me was looking for a replay while Willie barked at the umps... but it never happened.
    1914 Boston Braves
    July 5th: 15 games back.
    October 13th: World Series Champs
    (Anything is possible)
    GO BRAVES!!!!!!!


    Click Here (It's all you need to get fired up about the Braves).

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    9,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk Dynasty View Post
    I had to mention your sig, STBF:



    I'm sure plenty of people said that about Kotsay's valiant effort yesterday. I was standing up near the big screen and thought he had it. I hate it, yet understand why, they never show a controversial play on the big screen. However everyone around me was looking for a replay while Willie barked at the umps... but it never happened.
    I'm sure that it has happened and it will happen again. As good as Kotsay is when healthy, he's not Andruw Jones. But that's okay. I just put that in my sig as a joke.

  24. #24
    Hello Braves people,

    Can you tell me what the 'patch' is on the uni sleeve this year ? It appeared to be black initials or a name or something.

    Thank you . . . or uh . . . umm . . . Thanks ya'll

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by whoisonit View Post
    Hello Braves people,

    Can you tell me what the 'patch' is on the uni sleeve this year ? It appeared to be black initials or a name or something.

    Thank you . . . or uh . . . umm . . . Thanks ya'll
    It is Beach, in honor of Jim Beauchamp, long time player and coach in the Braves organization who died this past December. Beach was his nickname.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •