Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Cincinnati Reds Season Thread

Skipper Dusty Baker will be gone for two games until Sunday, because he made physical contact with the umpire last night. He was fined an undisclosed amount of money, and the suspension starts tonight, immediately.

Damn, that was a looooooong game you guys had last night. Hope it hasn't screwed up the rotation plans ahead too much. Johnny Cueto must feel left out, the only guy on the roster that didn't get to play.

Blog Entries
    Reds' All-Time HR Leaders

Code:

1.   Johnny Bench            389

2.   Frank Robinson          324

3.   Tony Perez              287

4.   ADAM DUNN               252

5.   Ted Kluszewski          251

6.   George Foster           244

7.   Eric Davis              203

8.   KEN GRIFFEY JR.         200

9.   Barry Larkin            198

10.   Vada Pinson             186
    Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Blog Entries
    I don't know how many people are surprised by this but Corey Patterson is 0 for his last 24 as of 6/6. He also has not earned a walk in 20 straight games in which he has had a plate appearance (74 AB).
    Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Blog Entries
    Here is the Reds' Draft in an Excel 2003 format.

Reds 2008 First-Year Player Draft.xls

The question: Whose defence cost the Reds the game today in extra innings?

The answer: Edwin "E5" Encarnacion. This one turned out to be the worst throw I have seen - he threw nowhere near Brandon Phillips in an attempt to turn a double play. End result? No outs were recorded, and it allowed the game to be won.

Something tells me his defence rivals that of ex-Tiger Tom Brookens. How many errors can he commit in a season?

Blog Entries
    I wonder if Milwaukee still wants Francisco Cordero.

Quote Originally Posted by redlegsfan21 View Post
    I wonder if Milwaukee still wants Francisco Cordero.
    Not for $46 million.
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

I went to the game yesterday. Reds won 9-5 though I thought for sure Cordero was going to give up a grand slam in the top of the ninth. On that note, Dunn hit a grand slam! Arroyo was awesome yesterday... I just wish they weren't so many games out at this time...

Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    I went to the game yesterday. Reds won 9-5 though I thought for sure Cordero was going to give up a grand slam in the top of the ninth. On that note, Dunn hit a grand slam! Arroyo was awesome yesterday... I just wish they weren't so many games out at this time...
    Congrats. I heard that's the first one we've hit all year.
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards

I was not aware that that was the first one we've hit all year... bummer...

Anything left at this point in the season to get excited about?

The idea of going after big names in free agency maybe?
    "There are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary. And there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance."

"The one constant through all the years has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." - James Earl Jones in Field of Dreams

Thats the exact opposite of what the Reds want to do. Add some complementary players and build around the good young core that we have developed. The Reds arent really as far away as their current record may indicate.

G Man

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic View Post
    Anything left at this point in the season to get excited about?
    Josh Fogg pitches tonight.

They have a great young core and other players that will have better years next year, BUT in order to stay competetive they can't just stay where they are. They have Dunn and Griffey to replace and a lot of others if they don't resign some guys, so I think there should be some money spent in the offseason or this thread will look the saem next year.
    "There are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary. And there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance."

"The one constant through all the years has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." - James Earl Jones in Field of Dreams

They dont need to replace Dunn and Jr. That was addition via subtraction - esp in Jr's case. Their D is vastly improved when those 2 gone. I agree it would be nice to pick up some players, which Jocketty will do but they should sign a long term contract because its not necessary and those rarely work out anyhow.

G Man

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
    They dont need to replace Dunn and Jr. That was addition via subtraction - esp in Jr's case. Their D is vastly improved when those 2 gone. I agree it would be nice to pick up some players, which Jocketty will do but they should sign a long term contract because its not necessary and those rarely work out anyhow.

G Man
    What about replacing their offense. Reds pitchers can't go through a season with a 1.00 ERA.

Quote Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
    Thats the exact opposite of what the Reds want to do. Add some complementary players and build around the good young core that we have developed. The Reds arent really as far away as their current record may indicate.

G Man
    They absolutely are. They just got rid of the most valuable hitter in their lineup and another starting hitter (somewhat easier to replace). Offense doesn't grow on trees.

The illusion of Cincinnati having a playoff-caliber lineup these past few seasons has been a product of the home run-happy GAB. Sure, the Reds have some good young bats (and arms), but they're young and they need time to develop.

There's no reason we can't be competing for the division in 3 years or so if we stick to a rebuilding plan and make good personnel decisions between then and now. If they develop into the potential they've been touted to have, Volquez-Cueto-Bailey could be the best starting three in the majors. Votto could be moved to left to make room for Alonzo at first in a year or two if he's ready that soon.

Without looking more closely at the free agent market this winter, I can't think of many players off the top of my head who would be good/affordable signings for Cincinnati. That number will increase, however, as the team's young nucleus improves.

Hopefully, Jocketty won't chase the bulk of our departing free agents out of some misplaced sense of loyalty or the laziness bred from familiarity.

Last year, who thought the Rays were going to be competing this year? Now they are going to win 95+ games. The Reds have the pitching in place. Edinson is a stud, Cueto is only going to improve. Harang is a question mark, but as long as he is healthy there is no reason to think he wont return to Harangatang like form. Bronson is hittable but takes his turn. Bailey has been a let down but he is still very young and its not time to give up yet. I could see the Reds signing a cheap starter like i did with Fogg and Affeldt (even though he eventually went to the pen) in the off season. Dont expect and they shouldnt sign any big deals. I'm of the opinion that the deals they made this season improved the team. Yeah, there offense has been over rated the last few years because of Jr and Dunn. They hit homers but did nothing else. The D is going to improve without these two Rhinos in the OF. Jr is easy to replace - his skills had dwindled and if you look at his numbers this year they were poor. Bruce is an absolute stud so if you look at Jr vs Bruce for RF next year its a huge upgrade. I have always been of the mind to agree that replacing Dunn's offensive output of HRs and RBIs (although limited because of his lack of clutch hitting) is hard to replace but thats not what the Reds need. They have tried the wait for the 3 run HR approach and it hasnt worked. What have they won with Jr and Dunn here? Nothing. Need to play some small ball like the Angels/Twins have done recently. I like the way Dickerson has looked. Freel will be back. Hopefully they can get Hairston back into the fold. I agree moving Votto to the OF is option especially with Alonso only being a year or so away. The Reds have had a pretty bad season, some of which i really cant explain. My point is, with the young nucleus of players they have, i could definately see them competing as early as next year. I mean, if Harang had been on the beam this year we would be over .500 as it is.

G Man

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast