Page 57 of 88 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 2196

Thread: Vintage Panoramic Pictures

1890 Syracuse Stars Team
    1890 Stars Team Stats

1935 Brooklyn Dodgers Team
    1935 Dodgers Team Stats
    Here's Casey Stengel in his 2nd year of managing a big league club, the Brooklyn Dodgers. The team would finish 5th, which would be the highest standing Casey achieved managing a MLB team until he skippered the 1949 Yankees...and we all know how that wound up.

1935 Brooklyn Dodgers; 70-83, .458, 5th Place, 29.5 g behind---BB-Reference

Top Row, L-R: Chick Fraser (coach/scout), Johnny McCarthy (1B), Colbern, Tony Cuccinello (2B), Van Mungo (P), Frank Lamaske (P), Brown, Gordon, Les Munns (P), Tom Baker (P), Johnny Babich (P), Tom Zachary (P), Bobby Reis (RF/P/UT), Babe Phelps (C).

Middle Row, L-R: Casey Stengel (Mgr.), Sam Leslie (1B), Dutch Leonard (P), Buzz Boyle (OF), Watty Clark (P), Joe Stripp (3B), Al Lopez (C), Len Koenecke (OF), Harry Eisenstat (P).

Bottom Row, L-R: L Otto Miller (coach), Danny Taylor (LF), Ralph Onis (C), Bob Logan (P), Lonny Frey (SS).
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 02-29-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Blog Entries
    I was sent this intriguing photo of the Detroit Tigers and asked to identify the year. I'm stumped. Any ideas?
    Three players are wearing uniforms from 1905-1907. But the hats don't match and no Cobb or Crawford.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 02-29-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burgess View Post
    I was sent this intriguing photo of the Detroit Tigers and asked to identify the year. I'm stumped. Any ideas?
    Three players are wearing uniforms from 1905-1907. But the hats don't match and no Cobb or Crawford.
    Who's the guy with the suit/bowler hat? That might help.
    Also, are there other confirmed Detroit Tigers present? I've seen several uniforms that resemble the Tigers unis from that era that are actually minor league teams.
    Last edited by BSmile; 02-29-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BSmile View Post
    Who's the guy with the suit/bowler hat? That might help.
    Also, are there other confirmed Detroit Tigers present? I've seen several uniforms that resemble the Tigers unis from that era that are actually minor league teams.
    The man in the bowler hat could be Bill Armour, who managed the team in 1905 and 1906. The player in the lower right resembles Duff Cooley, who last played for Detroit in 1905.

Blog Entries
    It never occurred to me that they might be a minor league team with permission to use the same uniform designs of the parent major league team.
    Good surmising, BSmile.

It never occurred to me that they might be a minor league team with permission to use the same uniform designs of the parent major league team.
    Good surmising, BSmile.
    I'm pretty sure BSmile is right on this one. It seem a lot of minor league teams were using the Old English letters on their uniforms in 1905. example below of the Davenport Riversides. Also added the 1907 Decatur Commodores.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dto7; 02-29-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dto7 View Post
    I'm pretty sure BSmile is right on this one. It seem a lot of minor league teams were using the Old English letters on their uniforms in 1905. example below of the Davenport Riversides. Also added the 1907 Decatur Commodores.
    Thanks for that post Dto7. Those are exactly some of the teams that came to mind.
    Cheers! ~B

1910 Chicago Cubs Team Panoramic
    1910 Cubs Team Stats
    Just when I thought I'd seen every panoramic. Amazing sweaters too!
    (edit: Although this pic is commonly thought of as the '08 Cubs, it is in fact the '10 team. Read the further postings...)

1910 Chicago Cubs; 99-55, .643, 1 g ahead, (WS: W 4-1 over Tigers)---BB-Reference---Player identifications provided courtesy of Gary Livacari (GaryL).

L-R: Joe Tinker (SS), Lew Richie (P), Harry Steinfeldt (3B), Jimmy Archer (UT), Johnny Evers (2B), Tom Needham (C), Heine Zimmerman (UT), Jack Pfiester (P), Rube Kroh (P), Ed Reulbach (P), Harry McIntire (P), Orval Overall (P), Frank Chance (Mgr/1B), King Cole (P), Solly Hoffman (CF), Johnny Kling (C), Frank "Wild Fire" Schulte (RF), Jimmy Sheckard (LF), Mordecai "Three-Finger" Brown (P), Fred Luderus (1B), Ginger Beaumont (OF), John Kane (OF).
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-06-2012 at 08:20 AM.

1940 Cincinnati Reds Team (Nov.1940 Baseball Magazine)
    1940 Reds Team Stats

1940 Cincinnati Reds; 100-53, .654, 12 g ahead, (WS: W 4-3 over Tigers)---BB-Reference

Top Row, L-R: Lonny Frey (2B), Elmer Riddle (P), Ival Goodman (RF), Johnny Vander Meer (P), Harry Craft (CF), Milt Shoffner (P), Bucky Walters (P), Lloyd 'Whitey' Moore (P), Jim Turner (P).

Middle Row, L-R: Gabe Paul (Traveling Secretary), Lefty Guise (P), John Hutchings (P), Eugene 'Junior' Thompson (P), Joe Beggs (P), Eddie Joost (SS), Bill Baker (C), Frank McCormick (1B), Dick West (C), Paul Derringer (P).

Bottome Row, L-R: Lewis Riggs (3B), Myron, Mike McCormick (OF), Billy Myers (SS), Jimmy Ripple (LF), Jimmy Wilson (coach), Bill McKechnie (Mgr.), Hank Gowdy (coach), Billy Werber (3B), Morrie Arnovich (LF), Doc Richard Rohde (trainer).
    Sitting in front: Joe Hurst (bat boy).
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-06-2012 at 08:20 AM.

1908 Chicago Cubs Team Panoramic
    1908 Cubs Team Stats
    Just when I thought I'd seen every panoramic. Amazing sweaters too!
    Here's a message that GaryL sent me regarding the year of this pic:
    "I'm finding guys in there that weren't on the '08 team, but were on the '09 and/or '10 team (e.g., Jimmy Archer, Tom Needham, King Cole, Ginger Beaumont, Chick Frazer). Are you sure of the '08 year...or could it be one of those confusing Spring training photos that we can't verify the exact year?

I essentially responded that my source lists 1908 as the date, but that could be wrong. It has certainly happened more than a few times in the past.
    One thing I did notice but hadn't mentioned is that based on the signs, it appears the photo was taken in Boston (or Massachusetts in any case)
    Any other thoughts?
    ~B

One thing I did notice but hadn't mentioned is that based on the signs, it appears the photo was taken in Boston (or Massachusetts in any case)
    Any other thoughts?
    ~B
    I think this photo was taken between May 13-16, 1910 at South End Grounds III in Boston home of the Boston Doves. The Cubs played a 4 game series and wouldn't return until July.

Not too many good close up photos of the signs at South End Grounds III.

I think this photo was taken between May 13-16, 1910 at South End Grounds III in Boston home of the Boston Doves. The Cubs played a 4 game series and wouldn't return until July.
    Sounds quite plausible...

Sounds quite plausible...
    Much thanks to BSmile for finding and posting this wonderful panoramic, which I think is one of the finest from the DeadBall Era that we have in the collection. And thanks to Dto7 for his help with the identifications and in determining the year of the photo.

It does appear to be the 1910 pennant-winning team.

1910 Cubs

L-R: Joe Tinker (SS), Lew Richie (P), Harry Steinfeldt (3B), Jimmy Archer (UT), Johnny Evers (2B), Tom Needham (C), Heine Zimmerman (UT), Jack Pfiester (P), Rube Kroh (P), Ed Reulbach (P), Harry McIntire (P), Orval Overall (P), Frank Chance (Mgr/1B), King Cole (P), Solly Hofman (CF), Johnny Kling (C), Frank "Wild Fire" Schulte (RF), Jimmy Sheckard (LF), Mordecai "Three-Finger" Brown (P), Fred Luderus (1B), Ginger Beaumont (OF), John Kane (OF).
    Last edited by GaryL; 03-06-2012 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Much thanks to BSmile for finding and posting this wonderful panoramic, which I think is one of the finest from the DeadBall Era that we have in the collection. And thanks to Dto7 for his help with the identifications and in determining the year of the photo.

It does appear to be the 1910 pennant-winning team.

1910 Cubs

L-R: Joe Tinker (SS), Lew Richie (P), Harry Steinfeldt (3B), Jimmy Archer (UT), Johnny Evers (2B), Tom Needham (C), Heine Zimmerman (UT), Jack Pfiester (P), Rube Kroh (P), Ed Reulbach (P), Harry McIntire (P), Orval Overall (P), Frank Chance (Mgr/1B), King Cole (P), Solly Hoffman (CF), Johnny Kling (C), Frank "Wild Fire" Schulte (RF), Jimmy Sheckard (LF), Mordecai "Three-Finger" Brown (P), Fred Luderus (1B), Ginger Beaumont (OF), John Kane (OF).
    So I found some more evidence that points to 1910. In the famous panoramic poster, "A Yard Of The National Game", the Cubs teams of 1906-07-08 are celebrated (along with the ballpark) and there's an edited version of that same 1910 Cubs panoramic on the bottom. The poster is clearly marked: "COPYRIGHT 1910 E.T. JOHNSON & CO." Further over it reads: "ISSUED BY E.T. JOHNSON & CO., PUBLISHERS OFFICIAL SCORE CARD CHICAGO LEAGUE BALL CLUB, 1456 WEST HARRISON STREET, CHICAGO."

My guess is that the poster was issued in 1910 to celebrate not only the '06-07-08 teams, but the new league champs of 1910 as well (albeit prior to the 1910 World Series). For many years now, that poster has been attributed to what I now feel is the wrong year, 1908.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-06-2012 at 08:25 AM.

So I found some more evidence that points to 1910. In the famous panoramic poster, "A Yard Of The National Game", the Cubs teams of 1906-07-08 are celebrated (along with the ballpark) and there's an edited version of that same 1910 Cubs panoramic on the bottom. The poster is clearly marked: "COPYRIGHT 1910 E.T. JOHNSON & CO." Further over it reads: "ISSUED BY E.T. JOHNSON & CO., PUBLISHERS OFFICIAL SCORE CARD CHICAGO LEAGUE BALL CLUB, 1456 WEST HARRISON STREET, CHICAGO."

My guess is that the poster was issued in 1910 to celebrate not only the '06-07-08 teams, but the new league champs of 1910 as well (albeit prior to the 1910 World Series). For many years now, that poster has been attributed to what I now feel is the wrong year, 1908.
    BTW, the right side of that poster shows the team lined up wearing suits, holding their hats. The top right corner of the image looks like it says "FILE PHOTO CO BOSTON". It's very hard to read because of the poor resolution.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-06-2012 at 08:26 AM.

The photo was also used in 1910 Cubs World Series program..

1910 Chicago Cubs World Series game 5 program

The photo was also used in 1910 Cubs World Series program..

1910 Chicago Cubs World Series game 5 program
    Well there ya go, there's no doubt...it's the 1910 Chicago Cubs Team. I'll change my original posting.

Last edited by BSmile; 03-06-2012 at 07:33 AM.

Blog Entries
    Why isn't the 1910 Cubs shown in full size? My heart jumped when I thought we might be down-sized again.

Why isn't the 1910 Cubs shown in full size? My heart jumped when I thought we might be down-sized again.
    The original post is...but when I re-posted it I used the "insert image" code from BBF, which still downsizes the images for some reason.

Last edited by BSmile; 03-06-2012 at 08:51 AM.

1882 Providence Grays Team
    1882 Grays Team Stats

1888 Cincinnati Red Stockings Team
    1888 Red Stockings Team Stats

1888 Cincinnati Red Stockings; 80-54, .597, 4th Place, 11.5 g behind,---BB-Reference

Top Row, standing, L-R: Pop Corkhill (CF), George Tebeau (LF), Bill Hart (P), Bid McPhee (2B), Billy Serad (P), Heinie Kappel (SS/2B).

Middle Row, L-R: Tony Mullane (P), John Reilly (1B), Gus Schmelz (Mgr.), Aaron Stern (President), Louis Hauck (Secretary), Jim Keenan (C), Lee Viau (P).

Bottom Row, L-R: Mike Smith (P), Frank Fennelly (SS), Hugh Nicol (RF), Kid Baldwin (C).
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-09-2012 at 12:59 PM.

1888 Cincinnati Red Stockings Team
    1888 Red Stockings Team Stats

1888 Cincinnati Red Stockings; 80-54, .597, 4th Place, 11.5 g behind,---BB-Reference

Top Row, standing, L-R: Pop Corkhill (CF), George Tebeau (LF), Bill Hart (P), Bid McPhee (2B), Billy Serad (P), Heinie Kappel (SS/2B).

Middle Row, L-R: Tony Mullane (P), John Reilly (1B), Gus Schmelz (Mgr.), Aaron Stern (President), Louis Hauck (Secretary), Jim Keenan (C), Lee Viau (P).

Bottom Row, L-R: Mike Smith (P), Frank Fennelly (SS), Hugh Nicol (RF), Kid Baldwin (C).
    Wow!...That's a real beauty...a great addition to our American Association collection!
    Last edited by GaryL; 03-09-2012 at 02:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    That's a real beauty...a great addition to our American Association collection!
    It really is. It goes to show how much scope and grandeur we missed for almost a year having our amazing collection down-sized. The glory and the Majesty is back in the house. Glory Be and Hallelujah!

It really is. It goes to show how much scope and grandeur we missed for almost a year having our amazing collection down-sized. The glory and the Majesty is back in the house. Glory Be and Hallelujah!
    Indeed!
    Finding a great picture is one thing...editing it and presenting it here is another.
    ENJOY!

Page 57 of 88 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast