Page 10 of 84 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Panoramic Pictures

1949 Philadelphia Phillies Team

A year before they shocked the National League.
    LOVE those uni's! (sorry the picture quality isn't so great)
    Cheers! ~B

1949 Philadelphia Phillies, 81-73, .526, 3rd place, 16 g behind---BB Reference

Top Row, L-R: Curt Simmons (P), Hank Borowy (P), Jocko Thompson (P), Willie Jones (3B), Russ Meyer (P), John Blatnick (OF), Hal Wagner (C), Ken Silvestri (C), Ken Trinkle (P), Jack Werner.

Second from Top Row, L-R: Frank Wiechec (trainer), Stan Lopata (C), Dick Sisler (1B), Jim Knostanty (P), Stan Hollmig (RF), Lou Possehl (P), Bill Loos, George Thomas, Jack Mayo (RF), John Walz, Dick Koecher (P), Frank Powell (Traveling Secretary).

Second from bottom row, L-R: Eddie Waitkus (1B), Robin Roberts (P), Dusty Cooke (coach), Benny Bengough (coach), Eddie Sawyer (Mgr.), Cy Perkins (coach), George Earnshaw (coach), Del Ennis (LF), Bill Nicholson (RF), Granville Hamner (SS).

Bottom Row, L-R: Bert Haas (1B/3B), Eddie Miller (2B), 'Maje' McDonald, Blix Donnelly (P), Andy Seminick (C), Charlie Bicknell (P), Richie Ashburn (CF), Ralph (Putsy)Caballero (2B), Charlie Hood.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BSmile; 01-23-2011 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks!!!

Just a quick note to express my personal thanks for all the hard work posting excellent pictures and material on this and all the other threads! I have learned SO much! Again, THANKS!!!

You bet ringo-dog!
    Glad you're enjoying yourself here at BBF.
    Here'a cool pic of Yankee Stadium - 1952 World Series (October 3rd)
    Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2009 at 10:43 AM.

1916 New York Yankees Team

1916 New York Yankees; 80-74, .519, 4th Place, 11 g behind---BB Reference

Quote Originally Posted by bmarlowe View Post
    Interestingly, the guy on the right in the tie is the Yankees trainer Duggin (or Duggan) - same guy as in the Providence Grays photo back on page 9 of this thread.
    Last edited by BSmile; 01-23-2011 at 03:57 PM.

Here's a nice pic of some of the 1913 NY Giants at spring training. Hard not to miss Jim Thorpe on the end of the right side (with a sweater). The rest...I'm not really sure.

1913 New York Giants; 101-51, .664, 12.5 g ahead, (WS L 4-1 to A's)---BB Reference
    Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2009 at 10:43 AM.

Another photo of Snooze

Here's a great picture taken on the field just before game one of the 1912 World Series. Although he didn't get into the Series, that's my grandfather, Ted Goulait, fourth from the right.

1912 New York Giants; 103-48, .682, 10 g ahead, (WS L 4-3-1 to Red Sox)---BB Reference---Player Identifications provided courtesy of Gary Livacari (GaryL).
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Great picture, Mike! Is your grandfather the fourth from the right counting the batboy, the one with his arm extended?

Unofficially, here's a few names off the top of my head:

#1 is Fred Merkle; 4 is Red Murray; looks like Art Fromme partially hidden behind #6;

In car: looks like Rube Marquard and Buck Herzog in back seat, Fred Snodgrass at the wheel, George Burns sitting on running board with hand on brim of cap; then McGraw, Matthewson, Jeff Tesseau; Ted Goulait (assuming that's him) with arm extended and Tillie Shafer partially hidden by Goulait's arm, #18 is Art Fletcher, and Wilbert "Uncle Robbie" Robinson on the far right.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-11-2010 at 10:44 AM.

1909 - Washington Park - Brooklyn, N.Y.
    Home of your 1909 Brooklyn Superbas!
    They would become the Robins and Dodgers a few more times (and Superbas), then eventually...settle on the Dodgers. Anyways, this one took some "editing magic" to make complete.

Cheers! ~B
    Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2009 at 10:44 AM.

1917 Chicago White Sox team

Here they are (again)... your 1917 World's Series Champion White Sox!

1917 Chicago White Sox; 100-54, .649, 9 g ahead, (WS W 4-2 over Giants)---BB Reference---Player Identifications provided courtesy of Mark Fimoff (bmarlowe).

Top Row, L-R: Eddie Collins (2B), "Red" Faber (P), Joe Benz (P), Ted Jourdan (1B), "Chick" Gandil (1B), "Dauntless" Dave Danforth (P), "Swede" Risberg (SS), Joe Jenkins (C), "Lefty" Williams (P)

Middle Row, L-R: Ray Schalk (C), "Happy" Felsch (CF), Eddie Cicotte (P), Eddie Murphy (RF), Fred McMullen (3B), "Pants" Rowland (Mgr.), "Kid" Gleason (Coach), "Shoeless" Joe Jackson (LF), "Shano" Collins (RF), Nemo Leibold (RF)

Bottom Row, L-R: Byrd Lynn (C), "Buck" Weaver (3B), Mellie Wolfgang (P), Ziggy Hasbrook (IF)
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-03-2009 at 04:21 PM.

Great picture, Mike! Is your grandfather the fourth from the right counting the batboy, the one with his arm extended?
    Yes, that is him fourth from the right. Here's another one I got from September of 1912.

1912 New York Giants; 103-48, .682, 10 g ahead, (WS L 4-3-1 to Red Sox)---BB Reference---Player Identifications provided courtesy of Gary Livacari (GaryL).

Top, Standing: Tillie Shafer (UT), Jeff Tesreau (P), Doc Crandall (P), Fred Merkle (1B), Dave Robertson (UT), Red Murray (RF), Hooks Wiltse (P), 'Laughing' Larry Doyle (2B), Chief Meyers (C), Red Ames (P), Unidentified, Christy Mathewson (P), Buck Herzog (3B), Lore Bader (P), Fred Snodgrass (LF), John McGraw (Mgr.).

Middle, Kneeling: Wilbert Robinson (Coach), LaRue Kirby (P), Art Wilson (C), Al Demaree (P).

Front, Sitting: Heine Groh (IF), Moose McCormick (UT), Josh DeVore (OF), Unidentified, Art Fletcher (SS), George Burns (OF), Ted “Snooze” Goulait (P).
    Dick Hennessy (mascot)

Unidentified player in top row may be Grover Hartley (C), and unidentified player in front may be Beals Becker (OF).
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 12-24-2009 at 11:34 AM.

1924 Yankees - Bradley Sweaters Ad

Here's an ad from the back of the Sept 1924 Baseball Magazine.

Miller Huggins and the Yankees sport their stylish Bradley Big League Sweaters!

1924 New York Yankees; 89-63, .586 2nd Place, 2 g behind---BB Reference

Quote Originally Posted by BSmile View Post
    Well...they ARE pretty frickin' awesome sweaters!
    To say the least, I'd LOVE to have one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burgess View Post
    That style of large, heavy weave for sweaters was quite popular.

----Ernie Shore/Pete Alexander:1915 WS----------------Ernie Shore/Pete Alexander: 1915 WS-------------Bill Coughlin/Frank Chance---------Christy Mathewson

----------------------------------------------------------Pete Alexander----------------------------------------------------------Hans Wagner
    Quote Originally Posted by Babefan View Post
    That is a great magazine ad of the Yankees with Miller Huggins towering over them. Also thanks so much for the pics of my great uncle GC Alexander. That will be going on the wall with the others. All I need now is the 1936 Yankees panoramic! (grin). Hey .... it could happen!
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 04-03-2009 at 06:49 PM.

1912 New York Giants Team
    And guess who's 4th from the left in the back row!!!
    Cheers! ~B

1912 New York Giants; 103-48, .682, 10 g ahead, (WS: L 4-3-1 to Red Sox)---BB Reference---Player Identifications provided courtesy of Gary Livacari (GaryL).

Top Row, L-R: Lore Bader (RP), Heinie Groh (3B), Dave Robertson (UT), Ted Goulait (P), George Burns (OF), Fred Merkle (1B), Grover Hartley (C), Doc Crandall (P), Hooks Wiltse (P), Al Demaree (P), Robinson, Art Wilson (C), Red Ames (P), Moose McCormick (UT), La Rue Kirby (P), Tillie Shafer (IF).

Bottom Row, L-R: Art Fletcher (SS), Larry Doyle (2B), Chief Meyers (C), Fred Snodgrass (OF/1B), Buck Herzog (3B), Red Murray (RF/LF), John McGraw (Mgr.), Christy Mathewson (P), Rube Marquard (P), Jeff Tesreau (P), Josh Devore (OF), Beals Becker (CF/RF).
    Dick Hennessy (mascot)

Quote Originally Posted by mschrader View Post
    Wow! Another great photo! Is there any way you could e-mail me a higher res shot or direct me to a site to download? I would love to make a print of it.

Mike Schrader
    Wow! What a great picture! The 1911-13 McGraw Giants are my favorite teams, so I'm lovin' it. This may be the new "gem" of the collection so far!
    Quote Originally Posted by mschrader View Post
    Just wondering if you have a higher res version of the 1912 Giants Riker & Hegeman Drug Stores? That's my grandfather, Ted Goulait, third from the left in the front row. Please e-mail me at mschrader@cinci.rr.com
    Thanks.
    Last edited by BSmile; 01-23-2011 at 04:02 PM.

Here's an even better picture of the 1922 U.S. Japanese Tour Team.
    That's Casey Stengel in the 1st row, all the way to the left.
    Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2009 at 10:45 AM.

1924 Cubs - Bradley Sweaters ad

Here's another cool Bradley Sweaters ad from the back of the August 1924 Baseball Magazine.

Cubs' Manager Bill Killefer says, it's "just about all a sweater should be, in my opinion." No arguments here!

1924 Chicago Cubs; 81-72, .529, 5th Place, 12 g behind---BB Reference

Apparently, the teams of those times ordered the sweaters as an official apparel accessory to their uniforms. Some teams posed for their official team photos wearing their sweaters.

I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but someone could start an entire thread in the Uniforms Forum using our pictures here as their source material.

Or not. Might be too corny or hokey. But the sweaters were indeed an official apparel accessory to their ML uniforms.

The Pirates were especially fond of wearing their nice, snugly-warm sweaters, probably due to those chilly Pittsburgh mornings.

Here you go... "for those chilly Pittsburgh mornings."

(from the back of the 1924 Oct. Baseball Magazine)

*** I originally posted the Bradley Sweaters ads for the team panos on them.

(However, I think the sweaters are cool and I love all of the sweater photos that have followed. Thanks so much for sharing!)

Bill McKechnie, manager of the Pirates.

1924 Pittsburgh Pirates; 90-63, .588, 3rd Place, 3 g behind---BB Reference
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 04-03-2009 at 06:57 PM.

sweaters

Quote Originally Posted by DauntlessDave View Post
    Here's an ad from the back of the Sept 1924 Baseball Magazine.

Miller Huggins and the Yankees sport their stylish Bradley Big League Sweaters!
    ___

A few more sweaters.

Quote Originally Posted by DauntlessDave View Post
    Wow!

It's so cool to see the real thing up close. What years are those?

...and thanks!

The White Sox sweater belonged to Muddy Ruel, c1924.

The Red Sox sweater I don't know - we need to find it in a vintage photo.
    Quote Originally Posted by disgrig View Post
    Muddy Ruel was not with the White Sox in 1924. He was in Washington then. He was with the White Sox in 1934. Could this be a typo? Is this a 1934 sweater?
    ____

Good point - I was just quoting the auction house. The White Sox did have a bit if red in their uniforms in 1934, but none in 1924. However the logo does not match the early 30's logo. I don't know the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by disgrig View Post
    I guess we'll have to wait for someone to post a photo of the 1934 ChiSox and we'll see what the sweaters looked like that season.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 04-03-2009 at 07:06 PM.

mschrader,
    I sent you a private message about that 1912 NY Giants pic.

Anyways....since there were a few great posts about sweaters, here's a great pic of Walter Johnson in a pretty nifty sweater - 1920's. I'll leave it at that...I don't want my thread to turn into a sweater thread (although it would make a good one on its own). Cheers! ~B
    Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2009 at 10:45 AM.

1912 Pittsburgh Pirates Team
    Taken on March 22, 1912 - Hot Springs, Arkansas (Spring Training)
    (more great sweaters btw...but it is a team pano too)

1912 Pittsburgh Pirates; 93-58, .616, 2nd Place, 10 g behind ---BB Ref---Spring training, Hot Springs, Ark., March 22, 1912.---Player identifications provided courtesy of Gary Livacari (GaryL).[/B]
    Best I could do with this one,...it's a tough one, as is '11. Again, I'm wondering is a lot of these guys were minor leaguers invited to Spring camp.

Top, L-R: unidentified, unidentified, Ed Mensor? (OF), unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, Bill McKechnie (IF), unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, Hank Robinson? (P), George Gibson (C), unidentified, unidentified.

Middle L-R: Tommy Leach (3B), Max Carey (LF), Alex McCarthy (2B), Bobby Byrne (3B), Babe Adams (P), Fred Clarke (Mgr.), Barney Dreyfuss (Owner), Sam Watters (Vice President/Treasurer), Honus Wagner (SS), Marty O'Toole (P), Claude Hendrix (P), Mike Simon (C).

Front, L-R: Chief Wilson (CF), Dots Miller (1B), Wally Rehg (OF), Ham Hyatt? (OF), Mike Donlin (RF), Jack Ferry (P), Jimmy Viox (IF), Solly Hofman (OF), unidentified, King Cole (P), unidentified.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-19-2011 at 11:22 PM.

1912 Boston Red Sox team

March, 1912 - Hot Springs, Arkansas (Spring Training)

The 1912 Pirates' Training photo reminded me of this one. It was done by the same photography studio. (Arlington Photo Studio)

(The sweaters are unintentional, but still appreciated!)

1912 Boston Red Sox; 105-47, .691, 14 g ahead, (WS 4-3-1 over the Giants)---BB Reference

Top Row, L-R: Casey Hageman (P), Ray Collins (P), Bill Carrigan (P), Dutch Leonard (P), Hugh Bradley (1B), Clyde Engel (IF), Marty Krug (IF), Heinie Wagner (SS), Larry Gardner (3B), Hugh Bedient (P), Jack Bushelman (P), Boodman, Shinn, Joe Quirk (trainer).

Bottom Row, L-R: Steve Yerkes (2B), Jack Lewis (IF), Duffy Lewis (LF), Larry Pape (P), Fred Anderson (P), Eddie Cicotte (P), Tris Speaker (CF), Jake Stahl (Mgr./1B), Hick Cady (C), Pinch Thomas (C), Joe Wood (P), Charlie Hall (P), Olaf Henricksen (RF), Buck O'Brien (P), Les Numamaker (C).
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 05-11-2013 at 11:49 PM.

1912 Brooklyn Dodgers - March, 1912
    Yup, another great pic from Hot Springs...and more great sweaters!

1912 Brooklyn Dodgers; 58-95, .379, 7th Place, 46 g behind---BB Reference---Player Identifications provided courtesy of Mark Fimoff (bmarlowe).

Uppermost top 3 unidentified.
    Top Row, L-R: Tex Erwin (C), Pat Ragan (P), Bill Davidson (CF), Willie Keeler, George Cutshaw (2B), Nap Rucker (P), Frank Allen (P), Jake Daubert (1B).

Second from Top Row, L-R: Enos Kirkpatrick (3B), unidentified, Bob Coulson (OF), Bert Tooley (SS), Bill Schardt (P), Red Downs (2B), Hub Northen (OF), Jud Daley (OF).

2nd from Bottom Row, L-R: Syl Breen, John Hummel (2B/RF/1B), Earl Yingling (P), Eddie Dent (P), Bob Higgins (C), Dolly Stark (SS), unidentified.

Bottom Row, L-R: Eddie Stack (P), Red Smith (3B), Sandy Burk (P), Bill Dahlen (Mgr.), Ed Phelps (C), Otto Miller (C), Zack Wheat (LF), Herbie Moran (RF).

Another great picture! I can't believe the quality of the photo and the clarity of the faces. Looks like the picture could have been taken today.

Keep 'em coming...these pictures are great!
    As I said before...this may be the best collection of team pictures in existence!
    Last edited by BSmile; 01-23-2011 at 04:08 PM.

1899 St. Louis Perfectos Team
    This is a pretty rare picture. The next year (1900), this team would become The St. Louis Cardinals. They were the Perfectos for one year.

1899 St. Louis Perfectos; 84-67, .556, 5th Place (out of 12), 18.5 g behind---BB Ref---Player Identifications provided courtesy of Mark Fimoff (bmarlowe).

1) Cy Young
    2) Cupid Childs
    3) --> Jake Stenzel
    4) Harry Blake
    5) correction: Albert Cowboy Jones
    6) Emmet Heidrick
    7) Ossee Schreckengost
    8) Patsy Tebeau
    9) Jesse Burkett
    10) Bobby Wallace
    11) Ed McKean
    12) Jack "Red" Powell
    13) George Cuppy
    14) --> Frank Bates
    15) Jack O'Connor
    16) Lou Criger
    17) Zeke Wilson
    18) Chief Zimmer
    Last edited by BSmile; 01-23-2011 at 04:13 PM.

1915 Philadelphia Phillies Team

"Keep 'em coming...these pictures are great!
    As I said before...this may be the best collection of team pictures in existence!"

Thanks so much GaryL. You'll be delighted to know that there are many more pics to come. With that said....here's the:

1915 Philadelphia Phillies; 90-62, .592, 10 g ahead, (WS L 4-1 to Red Sox)---BB Reference---Player Identifications provided courtesy of Mark Fimoff (bmarlowe).

Top Row, L-R: Beals Becker (LF), Stan Baumgartner (P), Al Demaree (P), Ben Tincup (P), Bill Killefer (C), Bert Adams (C), Eppa Rixey (P), Erskine Mayer (P), George McQuillan (G), Bud Weiser (CF), Joe Oeschger (P), Fred Luderus (1B).

Middle Row, L-R: Possum Whitted (OF), Milt Stock (3B), George Chalmers (P), Pete Alexander (P), Pat Moran (Mgr.), Gavvy Cravath (RF), Bert Niehoff (2B), Dave Bancroft (SS), Dode Paskert (OF).

Bottom Row, L-R: Bobby Byrne (3B), Ed Burns (C), Oscar 'OJ' Dugey (2B).
    Last edited by BSmile; 01-23-2011 at 04:14 PM.

1896 Pittsburgh Pirates Team

1896 Pittsburgh Pirates; 66-63, .512, 6th Place (out of 12), 24 g behind---BB Reference---Player Identifications provided courtesy of Mark Fimoff (bmarlowe).

Top Row, L-R: Jake Stenzel (CF), Pink Hawley (P), Lou Bierbauer (2B), Patsy Donovan (RF), (George?) Balliett, Bill Merritt (C/utility), Frank Killen (P), Bones Ely (SS).

Middle Row, L-R: Mike Smith, Jim Hughey (P), Connie Mack (Mgr./C/1B), Jake Beckley (1B), Denny Lyons (3B).

Bottom Row, L-R: Charlie Hastings (P), Jot Goar (P), Joe Sugden (C), Brownie Foreman (P).

Note that Balliet is the guy in the suit, but I don't think he was the mgr - Mack is listed as mgr. No MLB players with the name Balliet are listed for any year. A George Balliet, listed DOB 1882, did play in the minors. I guess this could be him - but if the DOB is correct, he would be very young
    Last edited by BSmile; 01-23-2011 at 04:15 PM.

1909 Cincinnati Reds Team

1909 Cincinnati Reds; 77-76, .503, 4th Place, 33.5 g behind---BB Reference---Player Identifications provided courtesy of Mark Fimoff (bmarlowe).

Top Row, L-R: Billy Campbell (P), Ducky Pearce (C), Chick Autry (1B), Jack Rowan (P), Jean Dubuc (P), Dick Egan (2B), Rudy Hulswitt, Bob Ewing (P), Larry McClean (C), Tom Downey (SS), Art Fromme (P), unidentified, Ed Karger (P), Mike Mitchell (RF), Miller Huggins (2B/3B), Harry Gasnar (P).

Middle Row, L-R: Dode Paskert (OF), unidentified, Clark Griffith (Mgr.), Dick Hoblitzel (1B), unidentified, Mike Mowery (2B/3B), unidentified, Bob Bescher (LF).

Bottom Row, L-R: Rebel Oaks (CF), unidentified, Hans Lobert (3B), Frank Roth (C).
    Last edited by BSmile; 01-23-2011 at 04:16 PM.

1913 Cincinnati Reds

Here's a Reds pic from a few years later.

1913 Cincinnati Reds; 64-89, .418, 7th Place, 37.5 g behind---BB Ref---Player Identifications provided courtesy of Mark Fimoff (bmarlowe).

Top Row, L-R: Unidentified, Armando Marsans (utility), Dick Hoblitzell (1B), Tommy Clarke (C), Eddie Grant (3B), Dick Egan (IF), Rube Benton (P), Unidentified, George Suggs (P), Beals Becker (OF).

Middle Row, L-R: Chief Johnson (P), Bob Bescher (LF), Ralph Works (P), Harry McIntyre (RP), Frank Harter (P), Unidentified, Unidentified, Art Fromme (P).

Bottom Row, L-R: Rafael Almeida (utility), Johnny Bates (CF/RF), Hank Severeid (C), Bert Niehoff (3B), Joe Tinker (SS), Mordecai Brown (P), Harry Chapman (C), Gene Packard (P), unidentified.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-03-2009 at 04:14 PM.

1910 Cincinnati Reds Team

1910 Cincinnati Reds; 75-79, .487, 5th Place, 29 g behind---BB Reference

1912 Philadelphia Phillies Team
    Another team shot from the Hot Springs spring training collection.

1912 Philadelphia Phillies; 73-79, .480, 5th Place, 30.5 g behind---BB Reference
    Pete Alexander (top, 2nd fr. R.)

Page 10 of 84 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast