Page 89 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3979878889
Results 2,201 to 2,217 of 2217

Thread: Vintage Panoramic Pictures

  1. #2201
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    4,757
    1913 Los Angeles Angels Team
    1913 Angels Team Stats
    - Here's another one from the old days of the Pacific Coast League (w/vintage hand tinting)
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2202
    The 1903 LA PCL team was the LooLoos. The team in the Pacific National League that year was the Angels.

  3. #2203
    Here are the IDs:

    Top L-R: Joe Corbett - P, Doc Newton - P, Ed Hurlburt - C, Pop Dillon - 1B, Rusty Hall - P, Jud Smith - 3B, Vianello Drinkwater - P
    Middle L-R: Dolly Gray - P, Gavvy Cravath - OF, James Morley - Mgr, Harry Spies - C, George Wheeler - 2B
    Bottom L-R: Art Ross - OF, Jimmy Toman - SS, Dummy Hoy - OF

    ID come from cover of Sporting Life Vol 43 No 3 (http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrar.../SL4303001.pdf)

    Quote Originally Posted by BSmile View Post
    1903 Los Angeles Angels Team
    1903 Angels Team Stats
    ~ On this day, September 3, 1965, the MLB Los Angeles Angels changed their name to the "California Angels" in advance of their move to Anaheim. So from way-back-when, here's the 1903 PCL Los Angeles Angels in their amazing monochrome uniforms.

  4. #2204
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    4,757
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcgill View Post
    The 1903 LA PCL team was the LooLoos. The team in the Pacific National League that year was the Angels.
    ???
    The team picture I posted is of the 1903 Angels of the PCL...according to Baseball-Reference.
    Last edited by BSmile; 09-06-2014 at 08:33 AM.

  5. #2205
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    4,757
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcgill View Post
    Here are the IDs:

    Top L-R: Joe Corbett - P, Doc Newton - P, Ed Hurlburt - C, Pop Dillon - 1B, Rusty Hall - P, Jud Smith - 3B, Vianello Drinkwater - P
    Middle L-R: Dolly Gray - P, Gavvy Cravath - OF, James Morley - Mgr, Harry Spies - C, George Wheeler - 2B
    Bottom L-R: Art Ross - OF, Jimmy Toman - SS, Dummy Hoy - OF

    ID come from cover of Sporting Life Vol 43 No 3 (http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrar.../SL4303001.pdf)
    Did you miss the post underneath the first pic of the 1903 Angels that has the ID's?

    Last edited by BSmile; 09-06-2014 at 08:35 AM.

  6. #2206
    Indeed I did. The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 3rd ed., has the PCL team as the LooLoos and the Pacific National team as the Angels. I see BRef has the PCL as the Angels, and no nickname associated with the Pacific National team. I research minor league no-hitters and just went through the 1903 PCL yesterday and the team was often referred to as the Angels, so the EoMiLB seems to be in error. My apologies.

    Quote Originally Posted by BSmile View Post
    Did you miss the post underneath the first pic of the 1903 Angels that has the ID's?


  7. #2207
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    4,757
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcgill View Post
    Indeed I did. The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 3rd ed., has the PCL team as the LooLoos and the Pacific National team as the Angels. I see BRef has the PCL as the Angels, and no nickname associated with the Pacific National team. I research minor league no-hitters and just went through the 1903 PCL yesterday and the team was often referred to as the Angels, so the EoMiLB seems to be in error. My apologies.
    It's all good! Seems like "Loo Loos" was a local nickname, one I'd never heard before.
    Cheers! ~B

  8. #2208
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    4,757
    Baseball's Best Old Timers Gather In Beantown
    84 Yrs Ago Today - Braves Field, Boston - September 8, 1930
    ~ Here's an amazing image from one of the earliest Old Timers Day events on record. The assemblage of late-19th/early-20th century baseball greats is astounding, including Billy Hamilton, Cy Young, Ty Cobb, Ed Walsh, Eddie Collins, Tris Speaker, Chief Bender, Harry Hooper & Home Run Baker.

  9. #2209
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    4,757
    1915 Los Angeles Angels Team Panoramic
    1915 Angels Team Stats
    - Here's the last edit from the old days of the Pacific Coast League (w/vintage hand tinting)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BSmile; 09-09-2014 at 08:05 AM.

  10. #2210
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    4,757
    1918 Fenway Park World Series Panoramic
    96 Yrs Ago Today - Chicago Cubs at Boston Red Sox, Game 6 - September 11, 1918
    ~ Here's a new edit of this great panoramic to celebrate its 96th anniversary, now with color! This would be the clinching game for the Red Sox as they won their last championship of the 20th century, leading to the much-ballyhooed 86 year drought before their next championship in 2004. Hopefully it can provide just a bit of a cheerful thought for this 9/11.
    Last edited by BSmile; 09-11-2014 at 08:07 AM.

  11. #2211
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    4,757

  12. #2212
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    4,757
    The ‘25 Washington Senators Visit The White House
    89 Yrs Ago Today - September 23, 1925
    ~ That’s President Calvin Coolidge in the middle back row (#8), flanked by team owner Clark Griffith (#7), Mgr. Bucky Harris (#9) and the great Walter Johnson (#10). Also pictured in the front row is Griffith’s son and future owner of the Senators and Minnesota Twins, Calvin Griffith (#26).

  13. #2213
    '60 Pirates, middle row, second from left: is that Herb Tarlek's grandpa?

  14. #2214
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    4,757
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Olsen View Post
    '60 Pirates, middle row, second from left: is that Herb Tarlek's grandpa?
    Hahaha...yeah!!!


  15. #2215
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    4,757
    The Giants Last Game At The Polo Grounds
    57 Yrs Ago Today - New York City - September 29, 1957
    ~ And so it was that the National League was finally dead in New York. Well, at least until the Mets were born in 1962 and made the Polo Grounds its temporary home, before moving to the newly built Shea Stadium in 1964.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  16. #2216
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    4,757
    Sod Bound For Frisco
    57 Yrs Ago Today - Polo Grounds, New York City - September 29, 1957
    ~ Wire Tag: “A two-by-two-foot section of sod from center field is being placed in box at New York’s Polo Grounds Sept. 29. It will be flown to San Francisco to be placed in the Giants new home. Matty Schwab, Polo Grounds head groundskeeper; Tom Gray, representing the mayor of San Francisco; unidentified assistant groundskeeper, and Giants manager Bill Rigney. Giants lost to Pittsburgh 9-1 in their last game beside Coogan’s Bluff.”
    Attached Images Attached Images

  17. #2217
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    4,757
    1913 Boston Braves "Lefty" Tyler Day Panoramic
    101 Yrs Ago Today - South End Grounds, Boston - September 30, 1913
    ~ Here's a new edit of this great vintage panoramic which was taken outside the ballpark on the special day held for George Albert "Lefty" Tyler. While the '13 season wasn't particularly memorable for Lefty, he was one of the starting pitchers the following year for the 1914 World Champion Boston "Miracle" Braves team. He also went on to win 19 games for the 1918 NL Champion Chicago Cubs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 89 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3979878889

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •