X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dto7
    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by BSmile View Post
    One thing I did notice but hadn't mentioned is that based on the signs, it appears the photo was taken in Boston (or Massachusetts in any case)
    Any other thoughts?
    ~B
    I think this photo was taken between May 13-16, 1910 at South End Grounds III in Boston home of the Boston Doves. The Cubs played a 4 game series and wouldn't return until July.

Not too many good close up photos of the signs at South End Grounds III.

Comment

• BSmile
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Dto7 View Post
      I think this photo was taken between May 13-16, 1910 at South End Grounds III in Boston home of the Boston Doves. The Cubs played a 4 game series and wouldn't return until July.
      Sounds quite plausible...

Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

• GaryL
        • Nov 2005

Sounds quite plausible...
        Much thanks to BSmile for finding and posting this wonderful panoramic, which I think is one of the finest from the DeadBall Era that we have in the collection. And thanks to Dto7 for his help with the identifications and in determining the year of the photo.

It does appear to be the 1910 pennant-winning team.

1910 Cubs

L-R: Joe Tinker (SS), Lew Richie (P), Harry Steinfeldt (3B), Jimmy Archer (UT), Johnny Evers (2B), Tom Needham (C), Heine Zimmerman (UT), Jack Pfiester (P), Rube Kroh (P), Ed Reulbach (P), Harry McIntire (P), Orval Overall (P), Frank Chance (Mgr/1B), King Cole (P), Solly Hofman (CF), Johnny Kling (C), Frank "Wild Fire" Schulte (RF), Jimmy Sheckard (LF), Mordecai "Three-Finger" Brown (P), Fred Luderus (1B), Ginger Beaumont (OF), John Kane (OF).
        Last edited by GaryL; 03-06-2012, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• BSmile
          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by GaryL View Post
          Much thanks to BSmile for finding and posting this wonderful panoramic, which I think is one of the finest from the DeadBall Era that we have in the collection. And thanks to Dto7 for his help with the identifications and in determining the year of the photo.

It does appear to be the 1910 pennant-winning team.

1910 Cubs

L-R: Joe Tinker (SS), Lew Richie (P), Harry Steinfeldt (3B), Jimmy Archer (UT), Johnny Evers (2B), Tom Needham (C), Heine Zimmerman (UT), Jack Pfiester (P), Rube Kroh (P), Ed Reulbach (P), Harry McIntire (P), Orval Overall (P), Frank Chance (Mgr/1B), King Cole (P), Solly Hoffman (CF), Johnny Kling (C), Frank "Wild Fire" Schulte (RF), Jimmy Sheckard (LF), Mordecai "Three-Finger" Brown (P), Fred Luderus (1B), Ginger Beaumont (OF), John Kane (OF).
          So I found some more evidence that points to 1910. In the famous panoramic poster, "A Yard Of The National Game", the Cubs teams of 1906-07-08 are celebrated (along with the ballpark) and there's an edited version of that same 1910 Cubs panoramic on the bottom. The poster is clearly marked: "COPYRIGHT 1910 E.T. JOHNSON & CO." Further over it reads: "ISSUED BY E.T. JOHNSON & CO., PUBLISHERS OFFICIAL SCORE CARD CHICAGO LEAGUE BALL CLUB, 1456 WEST HARRISON STREET, CHICAGO."

My guess is that the poster was issued in 1910 to celebrate not only the '06-07-08 teams, but the new league champs of 1910 as well (albeit prior to the 1910 World Series). For many years now, that poster has been attributed to what I now feel is the wrong year, 1908.
          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-06-2012, 07:25 AM.

Comment

• BSmile
            • Feb 2008

So I found some more evidence that points to 1910. In the famous panoramic poster, "A Yard Of The National Game", the Cubs teams of 1906-07-08 are celebrated (along with the ballpark) and there's an edited version of that same 1910 Cubs panoramic on the bottom. The poster is clearly marked: "COPYRIGHT 1910 E.T. JOHNSON & CO." Further over it reads: "ISSUED BY E.T. JOHNSON & CO., PUBLISHERS OFFICIAL SCORE CARD CHICAGO LEAGUE BALL CLUB, 1456 WEST HARRISON STREET, CHICAGO."

My guess is that the poster was issued in 1910 to celebrate not only the '06-07-08 teams, but the new league champs of 1910 as well (albeit prior to the 1910 World Series). For many years now, that poster has been attributed to what I now feel is the wrong year, 1908.
            BTW, the right side of that poster shows the team lined up wearing suits, holding their hats. The top right corner of the image looks like it says "FILE PHOTO CO BOSTON". It's very hard to read because of the poor resolution.
            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-06-2012, 07:26 AM.

Comment

• Dto7
              • Mar 2009

The photo was also used in 1910 Cubs World Series program..

1910 Chicago Cubs World Series game 5 program

Comment

• BSmile
                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Dto7 View Post
                The photo was also used in 1910 Cubs World Series program..

1910 Chicago Cubs World Series game 5 program
                Well there ya go, there's no doubt...it's the 1910 Chicago Cubs Team. I'll change my original posting.

Last edited by BSmile; 03-06-2012, 06:33 AM.

Comment

• Bill Burgess
                  • Oct 2003

Why isn't the 1910 Cubs shown in full size? My heart jumped when I thought we might be down-sized again.

Comment

• BSmile
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Bill Burgess View Post
                    Why isn't the 1910 Cubs shown in full size? My heart jumped when I thought we might be down-sized again.
                    The original post is...but when I re-posted it I used the "insert image" code from BBF, which still downsizes the images for some reason.

Last edited by BSmile; 03-06-2012, 07:51 AM.

Comment

• BSmile
                      • Feb 2008

1882 Providence Grays Team
                      1882 Grays Team Stats

Comment

• BSmile
                        • Feb 2008

1888 Cincinnati Red Stockings Team
                        1888 Red Stockings Team Stats

1888 Cincinnati Red Stockings; 80-54, .597, 4th Place, 11.5 g behind,---BB-Reference

Top Row, standing, L-R: Pop Corkhill (CF), George Tebeau (LF), Bill Hart (P), Bid McPhee (2B), Billy Serad (P), Heinie Kappel (SS/2B).

Middle Row, L-R: Tony Mullane (P), John Reilly (1B), Gus Schmelz (Mgr.), Aaron Stern (President), Louis Hauck (Secretary), Jim Keenan (C), Lee Viau (P).

Bottom Row, L-R: Mike Smith (P), Frank Fennelly (SS), Hugh Nicol (RF), Kid Baldwin (C).
                        Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-09-2012, 11:59 AM.

Comment

• GaryL
                          • Nov 2005

1888 Cincinnati Red Stockings Team
                          1888 Red Stockings Team Stats

1888 Cincinnati Red Stockings; 80-54, .597, 4th Place, 11.5 g behind,---BB-Reference

Top Row, standing, L-R: Pop Corkhill (CF), George Tebeau (LF), Bill Hart (P), Bid McPhee (2B), Billy Serad (P), Heinie Kappel (SS/2B).

Middle Row, L-R: Tony Mullane (P), John Reilly (1B), Gus Schmelz (Mgr.), Aaron Stern (President), Louis Hauck (Secretary), Jim Keenan (C), Lee Viau (P).

Bottom Row, L-R: Mike Smith (P), Frank Fennelly (SS), Hugh Nicol (RF), Kid Baldwin (C).
                          Wow!...That's a real beauty...a great addition to our American Association collection!
                          Last edited by GaryL; 03-09-2012, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• Bill Burgess
                            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by GaryL View Post
                            That's a real beauty...a great addition to our American Association collection!
                            It really is. It goes to show how much scope and grandeur we missed for almost a year having our amazing collection down-sized. The glory and the Majesty is back in the house. Glory Be and Hallelujah!

Comment

• BSmile
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Bill Burgess View Post
                              It really is. It goes to show how much scope and grandeur we missed for almost a year having our amazing collection down-sized. The glory and the Majesty is back in the house. Glory Be and Hallelujah!
                              Indeed!
                              Finding a great picture is one thing...editing it and presenting it here is another.
                              ENJOY!

Comment

• BSmile
                                • Feb 2008

1922 New York Giants Team
                                1922 Giants Team Stats
                                Here's a new, larger edit of the '22 Giants in a slightly different pose. The original posting can be found here: 1922 Giants (11/22/2010). There just aren't enough hours in the day to remove all the scratches from the original print, but I did manage to remove quite a few. Cheers! ~B

1922 New York Giants; 93-61, .604, 7 g ahead, (WS: W 4-0-1 over Yankees)---BB-Ref---(photo taken September 26, 1922; Polo Grounds, NY)

Top Row: L-R: Mahlon Higbee (OF), Ralph Shinners (OF), Claude Jonnard (RP), George Kelley (1B) Jack Scott (P).

Second from Top; L-F: Emil 'Irish' Meusel (LF), Fred Johnson (P), Freddie McGuire (2B), Wilfred 'Rosy' Ryan (P), Carmen Hill (P), Jesse Barnes (P), Virgil Barnes (RP), Dave Robertson (OF), Frank Snyder (C).

Seated: L-R: Royce 'Ross' Youngs (RF), Art Nehf (P), Charles 'Casey' Stengel (CF), Hughie Jennings (coach), John McGraw (Mgr.), Albert 'Cozy' Dolan (reserves), Alex Gaston (C), Earl Smith (C), Frankie Frisch (2B).

Bottom Row: L-R: Hugh McQuilllan (P), Walter 'Waddy' MacPhee (3B), Dave Bancroft (SS), Clint Blume (P), Bill Cunningham (OF), Henry 'Heinie' Groh (3B), Lee King (1B), Johnny Rawlings (2B).
                                Last edited by BSmile; 03-13-2012, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X