Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 144

Thread: Create your 09 WBC team roster

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Cape Town, Western Province, South Africa
    Posts
    77
    My South Africa Roster

    Starting Pitchers
    1. Barry Armitage
    2. Carl Michaels
    3. Robert Verschuren
    4. Jacobus Mostert

    Bullpen
    5. Matthew Dancer
    6. Jared Elario
    7. Kalin Dreyer
    8. Gary Maree
    9. Tyrone Lamont
    10. Shadley Sasman
    11. Darryn Smith
    12. Garth Terry
    13. Kevin Townsend
    14. Gavin Jeffries

    Infielders
    15. Anthony Phillips
    16. Jonathan Phillips
    17. Paul Bell
    18. Brett Willemburg
    19. Greg Liebenberg
    20. Nick Dempsey
    21. Patrick Naude

    Outfielders
    22. Moegamat-Zaid Hendricks
    23. Gavin Ray
    24. Jason Cook
    25. Dylan Haynes
    26. Ian Butcher
    27. Shannon Ekermans

    Catchers
    28. Kyle Botha
    39. Bradley Erasmus
    30. Karl Weitz
    Last edited by Sweet_Bokke; 04-16-2008 at 02:40 PM.
    Sian xx

    South Africa Baseball-
    Baseball World Cup- 9th (1974), 15th (1998), 14th (2001), 17th (2005), 15th (2007)
    All-Africa Games- CHAMPIONS (1999 & 2003)
    Olympic Baseball- 8th (2000)
    World Baseball Classic- 16th (2006), 16th (2009)

  2. #27
    Team Netherlands

    Starting Pitchers
    1-Rick VandenHurk
    2-Shairon Martis
    3-Diegomar Markwell
    4-Jair Jurrjens

    Bullpen-

    -David Bergman
    Robin van Doornspeek
    -Rob Cordemans
    -Leon Boyd
    -Diego Markwell
    -Alexander Smit
    -Tom Stuifbergen
    -Loek van Mil
    -Kenny Berkenbosch



    Catchers
    -Matijn Meeuwis
    -Sidney de Jong
    -Tjerk Smeets



    Infielders-
    -Gregory Halman
    -Yurendell de Caster
    -Raily Legito
    -Vince Rooi
    -Hainley Statia,
    -Michael Duursma
    -Roel Koolen



    Outfielders-
    -Andruw Jones
    -Roger Bernadina
    -Bryan Engelhardt
    -Gregory Halman
    -Eugene Kingsale
    -Yurendell de Caster

    Manager
    any ideas??
    Last edited by Americanoutlaw2.0; 04-18-2008 at 07:48 AM. Reason: update

  3. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichiro51 View Post
    If you followed the 2006 WBC, you will know that Yankees only let the USA players participate the games to strength up the team. Matsui couldn't play for Japan, Rivera couldn't play for Panama etc.
    Yeah, I followed the 2006 WBC closely, and this is false.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Vancouver/Rotterdam
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Americanoutlaw2.0 View Post
    Team Netherlands

    Starting Pitchers
    1-Rick VandenHurk
    2-Shairon Martis
    3-Diegomar Markwell
    4-David Bergman

    Bullpen-
    Jair Jurrjens
    -Ivanon Coffie
    -Rob Cordemans
    -Leon Boyd
    -Diego Markwell
    -Alexander Smit
    -Tom Stuifbergen
    -Loek van Mil
    -Kenny Berkenbosch



    Catchers
    -Johnny Balentina
    -Sidney de Jong
    -Tjerk Smeets



    Infielders-
    -Gregory Halman
    -Yurendell de Caster
    -Raily Legito
    -Vince Rooi
    -Hainley Statia,
    -Dwayne Kemp
    -Rien Vernooij



    Outfielders-
    -Andruw Jones
    -Roger Bernadina
    -Bryan Engelhardt
    -Gregory Halman
    -Eugene Kingsale
    -Yurendell de Caster
    First off, I'll help you get our positions straight, Coffie is a 3rd baseman, Halman is an outfielder. Also, news for all of us, Johnny Balentina is no longer on the national team, he's living in Curacao, so go with Matijn Meeuwis. He's an up and coming catcher/outfielder (like Balentina) performed decent in the World cup, and was a finalist for MVP of the Dutch league last season.

    How is Jurrjens not a starter? He''s in the Braves rotation, and faring quite well right now. Vandenhurk will be, and Martis earned his start for the next few WBC's doing what he did in 2006, not sure about the other two.

    Kemp and Vernooij need to prove something in low-A first to get a shot I believe. Other then that you're pretty close, except for yours truly, I like to think I can start a game in that tourny, but who knows.

    Where's Duursma and Koolen in the infield? The best defensive 2nd baseman, I've ever seen. They have been battling for the position since European championships.
    -44-

  5. #30
    thax you for your help

    Quote Originally Posted by Canadutch View Post
    First off, I'll help you get our positions straight, Coffie is a 3rd baseman, Halman is an outfielder. Also, news for all of us, Johnny Balentina is no longer on the national team, he's living in Curacao, so go with Matijn Meeuwis. He's an up and coming catcher/outfielder (like Balentina) performed decent in the World cup, and was a finalist for MVP of the Dutch league last season.

    How is Jurrjens not a starter? He''s in the Braves rotation, and faring quite well right now. Vandenhurk will be, and Martis earned his start for the next few WBC's doing what he did in 2006, not sure about the other two.

    Kemp and Vernooij need to prove something in low-A first to get a shot I believe. Other then that you're pretty close, except for yours truly, I like to think I can start a game in that tourny, but who knows.

    Where's Duursma and Koolen in the infield? The best defensive 2nd baseman, I've ever seen. They have been battling for the position since European championships.

  6. #31
    Team Canada
    1-Erik Bedard
    2-Rich Harden
    3-Jeff Francis
    4-Adam Loewen


    Bullpen
    Jesse Crain
    Ryan Braun
    Scott Mathieson
    Shawn Hill
    Ryan Dempster
    Aaron Myette
    Phillipe Aumont
    Eric Gagne
    Eric Cyr
    Chris Begg


    Catchers
    Russell Martin
    Pete Laforest
    George Kottaras

    Infielders
    Justin Morneau
    Joey Votto
    Scott Thorman
    Danny Klassen
    Kevin Nicholson
    Todd Betts
    Pete Orr

    Outfielders
    Jason Bay
    Matt Stairs
    Mark Teahan
    Jeff Guiel
    Adam Stern
    Aaron Guiel

    Manager-Ernie Whitt

  7. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Monkey View Post
    Yeah, I followed the 2006 WBC closely, and this is false.
    Yankees did not openly said this but everyone knows this, they asked the players to withdrew their name from their countries' preliminary roster and use the reasons of "concentrate on the upcoming 2006 season", "I have injury", or "I am honored but I am already representing my country by playing in MLB" as excuses to not play.

    Do you think guys like Wang, Matsui, Rivera, or even Cano are not good enough to get a roster spot? They simply did their owner (Steinbrenner) a favor by not playing in the tournament. Think what you will, but do a google research and you will find numerous articles about the Yankees conspiracy.
    Frank's Field of Dreams
    "If I build it, you'll come."

  8. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichiro51 View Post
    Do you think guys like Wang, Matsui, Rivera, or even Cano are not good enough to get a roster spot? They simply did their owner (Steinbrenner) a favor by not playing in the tournament. Think what you will, but do a google research and you will find numerous articles about the Yankees conspiracy.
    No, I'm sorry, but it doesn't work that way. If you make sensational accusations about a Yankees conspiracy, YOU back it up with research and with links to these "numerous articles". That's not my job.

    Everything I read at the time in the mainstream media said this: Steinbrenner didn't like the World Baseball Classic, and he made his feelings well known to anybody who asked. He even abstained from the owners' vote on the tournament. But it was Rivera, Matsui and Wang (who was just starting his fitst full season with the Yankees) who wanted to stay with their club and not play in the tournament. No one told them to do it. And that was that.

    You'll have to prove me wrong.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    southeastern PA
    Posts
    14,554
    Blog Entries
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Monkey View Post
    No, I'm sorry, but it doesn't work that way. If you make sensational accusations about a Yankees conspiracy, YOU back it up with research and with links to these "numerous articles". That's not my job.

    Everything I read at the time in the mainstream media said this: Steinbrenner didn't like the World Baseball Classic, and he made his feelings well known to anybody who asked. He even abstained from the owners' vote on the tournament. But it was Rivera, Matsui and Wang (who was just starting his fitst full season with the Yankees) who wanted to stay with their club and not play in the tournament. No one told them to do it. And that was that.

    You'll have to prove me wrong.
    I don't know if we can prove a conspiracy, as old George S. did backtrack and allowed some players who wanted to play in the WBC to do so. However, it is quite clear he didn't like it, and said so publicly. This, from the New York Times makes that point in talking about a sign at the Yanks spring training facility:
    Steinbrenner has said publicly that he would rather his players focus on preparing for the season, and he praised Hideki Matsui last week for staying with the Yankees instead of playing for Japan. Whether or not he posted the sign, the wording was consistent with Steinbrenner's feelings.

    Under the heading ''World Baseball Classic,'' the sign read: ''Thank you for expressing your concerns. We are sorry that certain players will not be present for portions of Spring Training. These players have elected to participate in The World Baseball Classic. The World Baseball Classic is an event sanctioned by The Commissioner of Major League Baseball and The Major League Baseball Players Association.''

    The sign went on, misspelling the team's nickname: ''The New York Yankess did not vote to support this event. Any comments you have regarding the World Baseball Classic should be directed to either The Commissioner of Major League Baseball or The Major League Baseball Players Assoc.''

    Steinbrenner said early in spring training that players were ''risking a lot'' by playing. He also agreed when a reporter suggested that fans would miss seeing the star players in spring training games.
    Source is here: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...50C0A9609C8B63

    Also, see this article by Baseball Prospectus: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=4756

    I'd say there's at least some evidence to support the charge. You could probably get to a jury with that, but not win the case. Maybe somebody else wants to do some more digging.
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

  10. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Monkey View Post
    No, I'm sorry, but it doesn't work that way. If you make sensational accusations about a Yankees conspiracy, YOU back it up with research and with links to these "numerous articles". That's not my job.

    Everything I read at the time in the mainstream media said this: Steinbrenner didn't like the World Baseball Classic, and he made his feelings well known to anybody who asked. He even abstained from the owners' vote on the tournament. But it was Rivera, Matsui and Wang (who was just starting his fitst full season with the Yankees) who wanted to stay with their club and not play in the tournament. No one told them to do it. And that was that.

    You'll have to prove me wrong.
    So if Steinbrenner had a close door meeting with the players and asked them nicely of not participate in the WBC? Then someone like myself, reporter, columnist etc must have a sound recording to prove it is in fact he indeed not want them to play?

    Get a grip man...believe what you want to believe in.
    Frank's Field of Dreams
    "If I build it, you'll come."

  11. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichiro51 View Post
    So if Steinbrenner had a close door meeting with the players and asked them nicely of not participate in the WBC? Then someone like myself, reporter, columnist etc must have a sound recording to prove it is in fact he indeed not want them to play?
    See, now you're moving the goalposts. You invited me and everyone else to research your charges because, well, you see, it was SO well reported back in the day. Well, guess what? It wasn't. Because it didn't happen.

    Enough with the dishonest arguments and unsupported conspiracy theories. Wang and Matsui will play in the 2009 World Baseball Classic. Why? Because there's absolutely no reason to believe that they won't.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    southeastern PA
    Posts
    14,554
    Blog Entries
    34
    Let's keep this from being personal, and, frankly, the use of the word "dishonest" in the above post is darned close to (if not in fact over) the line of what is permissible here. Let's not go any further down the road of talking about the person making the post as opposed to the points they raise.
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

  13. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by jalbright View Post
    Let's keep this from being personal, and, frankly, the use of the word "dishonest" in the above post is darned close to (if not in fact over) the line of what is permissible here. Let's not go any further down the road of talking about the person making the post as opposed to the points they raise.
    Point well taken. Calling an argument dishonest isn't necessarily the same as calling a person dishonest. But it's close enough. Sorry.

    Let me try it this way: Until someone actually provides evidence that the Yankees blocked its international players from playing in the 2006 WBC, I'll assume it didn't happen. It's pretty serious to charge that the World Baseball Classic was gamed in favor of Team USA last time around. And I haven't seen anything which even hints that that's what happened.

  14. #39
    Matsui might play for Japan, but Wang will not be pitching for Taiwan, even people in Taiwan who don't watch baseball know Wang will not be suiting up for the National Team ever again because he is pitching for the Yankees.

    Like I said, believe what you want to believe in, even if I have press articles, links, etc...you will still not going to believe them, because they are, just an article. You are asking for hard evidence such as a voice mail left on the players' cell phone from Steinbrenner of requesting not to play in the WBC otherwise it would not be genuine to you.

    I am sure OJ is innocent to you as well, if the glove don't fit, you must acquit. Right?
    Frank's Field of Dreams
    "If I build it, you'll come."

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    southeastern PA
    Posts
    14,554
    Blog Entries
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Monkey View Post
    Point well taken. Calling an argument dishonest isn't necessarily the same as calling a person dishonest. But it's close enough. Sorry.

    Let me try it this way: Until someone actually provides evidence that the Yankees blocked its international players from playing in the 2006 WBC, I'll assume it didn't happen. It's pretty serious to charge that the World Baseball Classic was gamed in favor of Team USA last time around. And I haven't seen anything which even hints that that's what happened.
    Fair enough. There's certainly sufficient evidence to indicate the Yankees tried to persuade their players not to participate. It's unclear how far they went in the effort to persuade, especially when it became a PR black eye for them. We do know Yankees played in the 2006 WBC. Make of the situation what you will.
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

  16. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichiro51 View Post
    I am sure OJ is innocent to you as well, if the glove don't fit, you must acquit. Right?
    No, he did it.

  17. #42
    you guys mind helping me edited my rosters??

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,804
    Blog Entries
    2
    Eight rosters down eight to go. We just need:

    Mexico
    Panama
    South Korea
    China
    Cuba
    Puerto Rico
    Italy
    Australia

  19. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Monkey View Post
    No, he did it.
    But you have no evidence. Johnny Cochran said the ties to his client of his wife and her friend's killing to OJ are just dishonest arguments and unsupported conspiracy theories...like what you trying to said about the Steinbrenner VS. WBC.

    NEA - China and Cuba's WBC roster is likely the same from 2006 beside maybe a player or two changes. China and Cuba's National Team practice throughout the years and hardly change who is on the team unless someone retired/defected/or a new stud teenager are too good to leave off the team.
    Frank's Field of Dreams
    "If I build it, you'll come."

  20. #45
    Some names to consider for a Cuban roster. I see a lot of new faces here and there won't be any Cuban defectors joining this team again. In the land of Pancho Villa and the Mariachis bands, Mexico, we will display our brand of baseball. It is about time Japan, Puerto Rico and the USA do not host any rounds. No more free pass! The finals should be held in the Coloso del Cerro, Latinoamericano stadium, under the sounds of Conga Oriental.


    Giorvis Duvergel CF
    Yohenis Cespedez CF
    Yuliesky Gourriel 3B
    Michel Enriquez 3B
    Alexei Bell RF
    Yoandry Urgelles RF
    Alexander Mayeta 1B
    Jose Julio Ruiz 1B
    Joan Carlos Pedroso 1B
    Yosvany Peraza C
    Osvaldo Arias C
    Ariel Pestano C
    Frederich Cepeda LF
    Alfredo Despaigne LF
    Hector Olivera 2B
    Yoilan Cerce 2B
    Eduardo Paret SS
    Yadiel Mujica SS
    Adonis Garcia super utility
    Leonis Martin Super Utility


    Pedro L. Lazo
    Yuniesky Maya
    Yuliesky Gonzalez
    Jonder Martinez
    Norge L. Vera
    Aroldis "el Ciclon" Chapman
    Vladimir "la Bala" Garcia
    Sergio Espinosa
    Ian Rendon
    Miguel Lahera
    Jose A. Garcia
    Yadier Pedroso
    Elier Sanchez
    Vladimir Banos
    Ismel Jimenez
    Gerardo Miranda
    Ricardo Estevez
    Yadel Marti
    Reinier "la nueva pistola" Roibal
    Yaumier Sanchez
    Last edited by Cubano100%; 04-23-2008 at 01:59 PM.

  21. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichiro51 View Post
    But you have no evidence. Johnny Cochran said the ties to his client of his wife and her friend's killing to OJ are just dishonest arguments and unsupported conspiracy theories...like what you trying to said about the Steinbrenner VS. WBC.
    Sheesh. Too bad this site isn't moderated for silliness. So why don't we all just move on?

    Back to the subject at hand: The 2006 World Baseball Classic teams only carried three legitimate starting pitchers. The rosters that folks have posted here have four starters. I don't see any reason for that. 2009 won't have any more games than 2006; in fact, with double-elimination, there will be fewer total games. So I'll go with three starters.

    And, with that, here're my guesses for a few of the starting staffs for the 2009 squads:

    USA: Smoltz, Peavy, B. Webb
    (Note: There are so many awesome American pitchers, it's hard to choose! Maybe another veteran like Roy Halladay. And Cole Hamels or another young stud like that would be a great pick too. An embarassment of riches.)

    Japan: Matsuzaka, Kuroda, Darvish
    (Koji Uehara is an unrestricted free agent this year, so I'd bet that--like Wang and Matsui did last time--he'll stick with whatever major league club he signs with instead of playing for Team Japan.)

    Venezuela: Santana, C. Zambrano, Felix Hernandez
    (What can you say? Breathtaking.)

    Dominican Republic: Loriano, F. Carmona, Johnny Cueta?
    (Cueta is probably too young, but he's exciting to watch. I think Bartolo Colon is done. But maybe he should get a shot to represent his country one last time? Could do worse.)

    Netherlands: VandenHurk, Martis, Jurrjens
    (That one's easy.)

    Canada: Bedard, Francis, Loewen
    (This is easy too. There's no way, I think, that Rich Harden endangers his fragile arm in international play.)

    I'm running out of steam here, so I'll think about Mexico and Puerto Rico later.

  22. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichiro51 View Post
    NEA - China and Cuba's WBC roster is likely the same from 2006 beside maybe a player or two changes. China and Cuba's National Team practice throughout the years and hardly change who is on the team unless someone retired/defected/or a new stud teenager are too good to leave off the team.

    Many players from Chinese Taipei, Japan and Korea have competed several times for their national team.

    Even with Wang presence, Chinese Taipei won't win. Where is the depth? Chinese Taipei have not been able to beat Japan, Korea, Cuba, etc in international tournaments. They may have won once or twice against these countries but I am not so sure.

  23. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubano100% View Post
    Even with Wang presence, Chinese Taipei won't win. Where is the depth? Chinese Taipei have not been able to beat Japan, Korea, Cuba, etc in international tournaments. They may have won once or twice against these countries but I am not so sure.
    I don't think anyone honestly thinks Taiwan is a contender to win, place, or show at the 2009 WBC. But with Wang on the starting staff, they could have a shot--not a great one, to be sure--of advancing out of the regional pool. I mean, if Chan Ho Park hadn't had MVP stuff in the 2006 tournament, who knows how far Korea would have gotten? And who knows how a weaker Team Korea would match up against a Wang-led Taiwanese squad?

  24. #49
    Korea has been fighting Japan in all kind of tournaments. They have lost several games by one run. I still think even with Wang, Korea and Japan should advance.

  25. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubano100% View Post
    Korea has been fighting Japan in all kind of tournaments. They have lost several games by one run. I still think even with Wang, Korea and Japan should advance.
    Yeah, that's probably right.

    Anyone care to speculate who Korea's starting pitchers will be? All of the MLB prospects I've followed have been busts (except, of course, that kid pitching low A ball for the Cubs).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •