Bench Coach-Davey Johnson
    1B Coach-Reggie Smith
    3B Coach-Ken Griffey SR
    Pitching Coach-Jimmy Keys
    Leo Mazzone
    Hitting Coach-Don Mattingly
    Bullpen Coach-Gary Carter

anyone want to help???
    Last edited by Americanoutlaw2.0; 04-24-2008 at 01:08 PM.

can someone do mexico??

Quote Originally Posted by Cubano100% View Post
    Korea has been fighting Japan in all kind of tournaments. They have lost several games by one run. I still think even with Wang, Korea and Japan should advance.
    Even without Wang, Korea and Taiwan will go head to head and nobody could predict who will win.
    Taiwan has deep pitching. Lin En Yu, Chang Chi Chia are very tough pitcher to beat.

Taiwan is going to have hard time to beat Korea if they send their A team...the half dozen guys who had experiences in the MLB and the bats of Seung Yeop and Dae Ho Lee.
    Frank's Field of Dreams
    "If I build it, you'll come."

Blog Entries
    Here is my attempt at selecting the Mexican squad:

Team-Mexico

Starting Pitchers
    1-Yovani Gallardo
    2-Francisco Campos
    3-Oliver Pérez
    4-Esteban Loaiza

Bullpen-
    Luis Ayala
    David Cortés
    Édgar González
    Joakim Soria
    Pablo Ortega
    Andres Meza
    Dennys Reyes
    Ricardo Rincón
    Luis Navarro
    Elmer Dessens

Total Pitchers-14

Catchers
    Gerónimo Gil
    Miguel Ojeda
    Cesar Tapia

Total number of Catchers-3

Infielders-
    Jorge Cantú
    Hernando Arredondo
    Luis Cruz
    Erubiel Durazo
    Benji Gil
    Adrián González
    Francisco Mendez

Totals numbers of Infielders-7

Outfielders-
    Karim García
    Luis Alfonso García
    Luis Carlos "Clipper" Garcia
    Christian Quintero
    Alfredo Amézaga
    Sergio Contreras

Totals of Outfielders-6

DH
    Pick players form Outfielders and Infielders-
    Erubiel Durazo
    Karim García
    Cesar Tapia

Totals Numbers of players-30

Manager-Francisco Estrada

Quote Originally Posted by Ichiro51 View Post
    Taiwan is going to have hard time to beat Korea if they send their A team...the half dozen guys who had experiences in the MLB and the bats of Seung Yeop and Dae Ho Lee.
    Korea has no dominating pitcher. Taiwan has some. Lin En Yu, Chang Chi Chia, Kuo Hong Chi.

Taiwanese pitcher are not dominating...most of them's fastball tops out at 90 mph.

If Lin/Chang are so great then Lin would not be pitching in Japan's Minor League more than he has done on the Ichi-Team. Chang got released by Seibu and no MLB team showed interest even on a Minor League contract when he did workouts in Arizona. Taiwan also have absolute no HR threat other than Chin-Feng Chen, sluggers like Tai-Shang Chang, Chia-Hsien Hsieh looked silly when they face pitchers with 90 mph because most CPBL pitchers they faced's fastball is about 80-85 mph range.
    Frank's Field of Dreams
    "If I build it, you'll come."

I really have no idea if Korea or Taiwan is better. My gut tells me it's Korea, but that's largely based on the team's performance in the WBC and the Olympic qualifiers this year. But I think it should be noted that Lee Seung Yeop isn't likely to bring much of a bat to the 2009 WBC. He's terrible: http://eastwindupchronicle.com/lee-seung-yeop-demoted/.

Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglandAmazins View Post
    Here is my attempt at selecting the Mexican squad:

Team-Mexico

Starting Pitchers
    1-Yovani Gallardo
    2-Francisco Campos
    3-Oliver Pérez
    4-Esteban Loaiza

Bullpen-
    Luis Ayala
    David Cortés
    Édgar González
    Joakim Soria
    Pablo Ortega
    Andres Meza
    Dennys Reyes
    Ricardo Rincón
    Luis Navarro
    Elmer Dessens

Total Pitchers-14

Catchers
    Gerónimo Gil
    Miguel Ojeda
    Cesar Tapia

Total number of Catchers-3

Infielders-
    Jorge Cantú
    Hernando Arredondo
    Luis Cruz
    Erubiel Durazo
    Benji Gil
    Adrián González
    Francisco Mendez

Totals numbers of Infielders-7

Outfielders-
    Karim García
    Luis Alfonso García
    Luis Carlos "Clipper" Garcia
    Christian Quintero
    Alfredo Amézaga
    Sergio Contreras

Totals of Outfielders-6

DH
    Pick players form Outfielders and Infielders-
    Erubiel Durazo
    Karim García
    Cesar Tapia

Totals Numbers of players-30

Manager-Francisco Estrada
    Not too frightening, huh? Mexico's lucky that they're playing in front of hometown fans in the first round--and against the easiest draw in the tournament (South Africa and Australia). It'll be a real fight between Korea and Mexico in the second round to see who's worse.

With its abysmal showing at the Olympic qualifiers, is there someone out there who can put in a good word for Mexican baseball?
    Last edited by Rally Monkey; 04-26-2008 at 06:39 PM.

Taiwanese pitcher are not dominating...most of them's fastball tops out at 90 mph.

If Lin/Chang are so great then Lin would not be pitching in Japan's Minor League more than he has done on the Ichi-Team. Chang got released by Seibu and no MLB team showed interest even on a Minor League contract when he did workouts in Arizona.
    Lin already proved himself in 2007 WC. When he is healthy, he is simply unhitterable. In Asia Baseball Championship 2007, he felt sudden pain in his back at 5th inning of the game against Korea and allowed three-run homer as the result.
    Also Chang was arguably best pitcher in Final Qualifier of Olympic.

Taiwan also have absolute no HR threat other than Chin-Feng Chen, sluggers like Tai-Shang Chang, Chia-Hsien Hsieh looked silly when they face pitchers with 90 mph because most CPBL pitchers they faced's fastball is about 80-85 mph range.
    Actually no HR threat is the problem of Team Korea. In Final Qualifier of Olympic, Korea hit only two home runs, which is same as Germany.

I think the weak point of Taiwan is their defense. Some of their infielders are just horrible at glove.

Team Canada
    1-Erik Bedard
    2-Rich Harden
    3-Jeff Francis
    4-Adam Loewen

Bullpen
    Jesse Crain
    Ryan Braun
    Scott Mathieson
    Shawn Hill
    Ryan Dempster
    Aaron Myette
    Phillipe Aumont
    Eric Gagne
    Eric Cyr
    Chris Begg

Catchers
    Russell Martin
    Christopher Robinson
    George Kottaras

Infielders
    Justin Morneau
    Joey Votto
    Scott Thorman
    Danny Klassen
    Kevin Nicholson
    Taylor Green
    Pete Orr

Outfielders
    Jason Bay
    Matt Stairs
    Mark Teahan
    Jamie Romak
    Adam Stern
    Sebastien Boucher

Manager-Ernie Whitt

Team Netherlands

Starting Pitchers
    1-Rick VandenHurk
    2-Shairon Martis
    3-Jair Jurrjens
    4-David Bergman

Bullpen-

Diegomar Markwell
    -Ivanon Coffie
    -Rob Cordemans
    -Leon Boyd
    -Diego Markwell
    -Alexander Smit
    -Tom Stuifbergen
    -Loek van Mil
    -Kenny Berkenbosch

Catchers-
    -Matijn Meeuwis
    -Sidney de Jong
    -Tjerk Smeets

Infielders-
    -Roel Koolen
    -Yurendell de Caster
    -Raily Legito
    -Vince Rooi
    -Hainley Statia,
    -Michael Duursma
    -Rien Vernooij

Outfielders-
    -Andruw Jones
    -Roger Bernadina
    -Bryan Engelhardt
    -Gregory Halman
    -Eugene Kingsale
    -Yurendell de Caster

Manager and coaches
    Any ideas??

Mexico roster taken from "Puro Beisbol"

Starters
    Dan Haren(Daniel Harem)
    Yovani Gallardo
    Oliver Pérez
    Jorge Campillo

BullPen
    Jorge de la Rosa
    Oscar Villarreal
    Dennis Reyes
    Jaime García
    Luis Ignacio Ayala
    Joel Zumaya
    Joakim Soria (cerrador)

catchers

Humberto Cota
    Miguel Ojeda
    Gerónimo Gil

infielders
    Adrián González
    Jorge Cantú
    Edgar González
    Juan Gabriel Castro
    Germán Durán
    Oscar Robles

outfielders
    Alfredo Amézaga
    Karim García
    Carlos Quentin
    Luis Alfonso García

DH
    Erubiel Durazo

MANAGER:
    Vinicio Castilla

Blog Entries
    So who starts for the Dominican, Puerto Rico and Venezuela? Who starts at shortstop for the Dominican, Hanley Ramirez or Reyes? Pujols might have surgery in the off season and Delgado is healthy and revived his career giving Puerto Rico a better chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Americanoutlaw2.0 View Post
    Team Netherlands

Starting Pitchers
    1-Rick VandenHurk
    2-Shairon Martis
    3-Jair Jurrjens
    4-David Bergman

Bullpen-

Diegomar Markwell
    -Ivanon Coffie
    -Rob Cordemans
    -Leon Boyd
    -Diego Markwell
    -Alexander Smit
    -Tom Stuifbergen
    -Loek van Mil
    -Kenny Berkenbosch

Catchers-
    -Matijn Meeuwis
    -Sidney de Jong
    -Tjerk Smeets

Infielders-
    -Roel Koolen
    -Yurendell de Caster
    -Raily Legito
    -Vince Rooi
    -Hainley Statia,
    -Michael Duursma
    -Rien Vernooij

Outfielders-
    -Andruw Jones
    -Roger Bernadina
    -Bryan Engelhardt
    -Gregory Halman
    -Eugene Kingsale
    -Yurendell de Caster

Manager and coaches
    Any ideas??

Don't be surprised if David Aardsma of the Red Sox is on the team. Met him back in April and he told me he'd LOVE to play for the Orange in the WBC.

Also don't count out another member of the Red Sox organization, Swen Huijer...
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SDL View Post
    Don't be surprised if David Aardsma of the Red Sox is on the team. Met him back in April and he told me he'd LOVE to play for the Orange in the WBC.

Also don't count out another member of the Red Sox organization, Swen Huijer...
    For the record, Robert Eenhoorn will manage Team Netherlands. After that, he'll retire from coaching the national team.

Quote Originally Posted by Rally Monkey View Post
    For the record, Robert Eenhoorn will manage Team Netherlands. After that, he'll retire from coaching the national team.
    Where did you hear this? I was under the assumption he was going to retire after the Olympics.

I have a feeling that Hensley Meulens will get first crack at the managerail jon.

Quote Originally Posted by SDL View Post
    Where did you hear this? I was under the assumption he was going to retire after the Olympics.

I have a feeling that Hensley Meulens will get first crack at the managerail jon.
    Here's one place I read it:

http://www.mister-baseball.com/rober...ctor-baseball/

And here's a follow-up:

http://www.mister-baseball.com/olymp...g-netherlands/

The 2009 WBC will be Eenhoorn's last stint as the national team's field manager.

One more thing: I read that Dave Aardsma was originally set to play for the Netherlands at the 2006 World Baseball Classic, but he was ultimately ruled ineligible. So maybe we won't see him wearing orange this spring.

One more thing: I read that Dave Aardsma was originally set to play for the Netherlands at the 2006 World Baseball Classic, but he was ultimately ruled ineligible. So maybe we won't see him wearing orange this spring.
    Aardsma alluded to something like that when I met him back in April, Since then, many EU nations have relaxed citizenship rules and he would now qualify as a "Dutch citizen by descent," like I am, altho in my case, my father was from there.

Don't have the time to redo another Canadian lineup but wanted to mention that OBVIOUSLY Ryan Dempster will now be put in that starting rotation after the season he's had starting.

MAN I WANT THIS TOURNAMENT TO START!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
    Don't have the time to redo another Canadian lineup but wanted to mention that OBVIOUSLY Ryan Dempster will now be put in that starting rotation after the season he's had starting.

You can be sure of one name on the coaching staff: Stubby Clapp.

With the news that Canada will lead off the tournament against Team USA, let me ask this to the Canadians out there: Would you rather play the USA or Venezuela in Game 1? Recall that this is a double-elimination round, so if Canada loses the first game, it's a real uphill climb.

Given the chaos of Team Venezuela this year--and the players' underachieving in 2006--I think I'd rather see them than the Americans if I were Team Canada. Having said that, if the Venezuela players are able to sort their baggage out, guess who starts Game 1: Johan. And I wouldn't wanna face that guy any time, anywhere.

With the news that Canada will lead off the tournament against Team USA, let me ask this to the Canadians out there: Would you rather play the USA or Venezuela in Game 1? Recall that this is a double-elimination round, so if Canada loses the first game, it's a real uphill climb.

Given the chaos of Team Venezuela this year--and the players' underachieving in 2006--I think I'd rather see them than the Americans if I were Team Canada. Having said that, if the Venezuela players are able to sort their baggage out, guess who starts Game 1: Johan. And I wouldn't wanna face that guy any time, anywhere.
    Hmmm, here's two different angles I'm thinking...

-Venezuela does seem to have problems which would definitely benefit Canada if some of those players sat out the tourney because of that.

-The WBC planners obviously want Canada-USA to meet up and play atleast one game and scheduling them first game makes sure that happens. Not going to lie too but I would even take a harder American team then a weaker Venezuelan team simply because of the Canada-USA rivalry. Just picturing the atmosphere now in a packed Skydome for that game......yeah I want Canada playing the USA!! I think any Canadian would want it that way too, atleast one guaranteed USA game.

The WBC planners obviously want Canada-USA to meet up and play atleast one game and scheduling them first game makes sure that happens. Not going to lie too but I would even take a harder American team then a weaker Venezuelan team simply because of the Canada-USA rivalry. Just picturing the atmosphere now in a packed Skydome for that game......yeah I want Canada playing the USA!! I think any Canadian would want it that way too, atleast one guaranteed USA game.
    Yeah, I'm thinking that that is exactly what the calculus was. If you think about it, the USA should play Team Italy. Team USA would have to be the top-seeded team in this pool, and Italy--obviously--is the lowest seeded team. It's kind of unfair to the US for the WBC organizers to make it a little bit harder for them to advance by putting them up against a better team in the first game.

Having said that, there's no better way to pack the house for Game 1. And that's what's going on here, I bet.

Yeah, I'm thinking that that is exactly what the calculus was. If you think about it, the USA should play Team Italy. Team USA would have to be the top-seeded team in this pool, and Italy--obviously--is the lowest seeded team. It's kind of unfair to the US for the WBC organizers to make it a little bit harder for them to advance by putting them up against a better team in the first game.

Having said that, there's no better way to pack the house for Game 1. And that's what's going on here, I bet.
    I've been thinking about this even more and I think Canada-USA being one of the first few games being played in the WBC will help push it to the forefront of not only Canadian media but American media too much more quickly. I'm not sure how many of you know North American geography well (I mean no offense when I say that) but Toronto is probably only a 6-8 hour drive from alot of major east coast American cities, including NY. With so much media being situated semi close to Toronto in NY, they will pay alot more attention to this tourney right away.

I also think by making sure Canada plays the USA, it also helps in showcasing just truly how much potential international baseball has to be taken seriously. I know alot of the first WBC's games sold well (I think Petco was sold out and Anaheim Stadium looked close to packed) but NONE of those stadiums compare to the atmosphere a sold out Jays game has. Now imagine a sold out CANADA game in Skydome and that right there would rival any atmosphere in international football matches. (Which would be one big effff you to the IOC about why this sport should still be in the Olympics.)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast