Karim García
    Carlos Quentin
    Luis Alfonso García

DH
    Erubiel Durazo

MANAGER:
    Vinicio Castilla

Blog Entries
    So who starts for the Dominican, Puerto Rico and Venezuela? Who starts at shortstop for the Dominican, Hanley Ramirez or Reyes? Pujols might have surgery in the off season and Delgado is healthy and revived his career giving Puerto Rico a better chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Americanoutlaw2.0 View Post
    Team Netherlands

Starting Pitchers
    1-Rick VandenHurk
    2-Shairon Martis
    3-Jair Jurrjens
    4-David Bergman

Bullpen-

Diegomar Markwell
    -Ivanon Coffie
    -Rob Cordemans
    -Leon Boyd
    -Diego Markwell
    -Alexander Smit
    -Tom Stuifbergen
    -Loek van Mil
    -Kenny Berkenbosch

Catchers-
    -Matijn Meeuwis
    -Sidney de Jong
    -Tjerk Smeets

Infielders-
    -Roel Koolen
    -Yurendell de Caster
    -Raily Legito
    -Vince Rooi
    -Hainley Statia,
    -Michael Duursma
    -Rien Vernooij

Outfielders-
    -Andruw Jones
    -Roger Bernadina
    -Bryan Engelhardt
    -Gregory Halman
    -Eugene Kingsale
    -Yurendell de Caster

Manager and coaches
    Any ideas??

Don't be surprised if David Aardsma of the Red Sox is on the team. Met him back in April and he told me he'd LOVE to play for the Orange in the WBC.

Also don't count out another member of the Red Sox organization, Swen Huijer...
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SDL View Post
    Don't be surprised if David Aardsma of the Red Sox is on the team. Met him back in April and he told me he'd LOVE to play for the Orange in the WBC.

Also don't count out another member of the Red Sox organization, Swen Huijer...
    For the record, Robert Eenhoorn will manage Team Netherlands. After that, he'll retire from coaching the national team.

Quote Originally Posted by Rally Monkey View Post
    For the record, Robert Eenhoorn will manage Team Netherlands. After that, he'll retire from coaching the national team.
    Where did you hear this? I was under the assumption he was going to retire after the Olympics.

I have a feeling that Hensley Meulens will get first crack at the managerail jon.

Quote Originally Posted by SDL View Post
    Where did you hear this? I was under the assumption he was going to retire after the Olympics.

I have a feeling that Hensley Meulens will get first crack at the managerail jon.
    Here's one place I read it:

http://www.mister-baseball.com/rober...ctor-baseball/

And here's a follow-up:

http://www.mister-baseball.com/olymp...g-netherlands/

The 2009 WBC will be Eenhoorn's last stint as the national team's field manager.

One more thing: I read that Dave Aardsma was originally set to play for the Netherlands at the 2006 World Baseball Classic, but he was ultimately ruled ineligible. So maybe we won't see him wearing orange this spring.

One more thing: I read that Dave Aardsma was originally set to play for the Netherlands at the 2006 World Baseball Classic, but he was ultimately ruled ineligible. So maybe we won't see him wearing orange this spring.
    Aardsma alluded to something like that when I met him back in April, Since then, many EU nations have relaxed citizenship rules and he would now qualify as a "Dutch citizen by descent," like I am, altho in my case, my father was from there.

Don't have the time to redo another Canadian lineup but wanted to mention that OBVIOUSLY Ryan Dempster will now be put in that starting rotation after the season he's had starting.

MAN I WANT THIS TOURNAMENT TO START!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
    Don't have the time to redo another Canadian lineup but wanted to mention that OBVIOUSLY Ryan Dempster will now be put in that starting rotation after the season he's had starting.

You can be sure of one name on the coaching staff: Stubby Clapp.

With the news that Canada will lead off the tournament against Team USA, let me ask this to the Canadians out there: Would you rather play the USA or Venezuela in Game 1? Recall that this is a double-elimination round, so if Canada loses the first game, it's a real uphill climb.

Given the chaos of Team Venezuela this year--and the players' underachieving in 2006--I think I'd rather see them than the Americans if I were Team Canada. Having said that, if the Venezuela players are able to sort their baggage out, guess who starts Game 1: Johan. And I wouldn't wanna face that guy any time, anywhere.

With the news that Canada will lead off the tournament against Team USA, let me ask this to the Canadians out there: Would you rather play the USA or Venezuela in Game 1? Recall that this is a double-elimination round, so if Canada loses the first game, it's a real uphill climb.

Given the chaos of Team Venezuela this year--and the players' underachieving in 2006--I think I'd rather see them than the Americans if I were Team Canada. Having said that, if the Venezuela players are able to sort their baggage out, guess who starts Game 1: Johan. And I wouldn't wanna face that guy any time, anywhere.
    Hmmm, here's two different angles I'm thinking...

-Venezuela does seem to have problems which would definitely benefit Canada if some of those players sat out the tourney because of that.

-The WBC planners obviously want Canada-USA to meet up and play atleast one game and scheduling them first game makes sure that happens. Not going to lie too but I would even take a harder American team then a weaker Venezuelan team simply because of the Canada-USA rivalry. Just picturing the atmosphere now in a packed Skydome for that game......yeah I want Canada playing the USA!! I think any Canadian would want it that way too, atleast one guaranteed USA game.

The WBC planners obviously want Canada-USA to meet up and play atleast one game and scheduling them first game makes sure that happens. Not going to lie too but I would even take a harder American team then a weaker Venezuelan team simply because of the Canada-USA rivalry. Just picturing the atmosphere now in a packed Skydome for that game......yeah I want Canada playing the USA!! I think any Canadian would want it that way too, atleast one guaranteed USA game.
    Yeah, I'm thinking that that is exactly what the calculus was. If you think about it, the USA should play Team Italy. Team USA would have to be the top-seeded team in this pool, and Italy--obviously--is the lowest seeded team. It's kind of unfair to the US for the WBC organizers to make it a little bit harder for them to advance by putting them up against a better team in the first game.

Having said that, there's no better way to pack the house for Game 1. And that's what's going on here, I bet.

Yeah, I'm thinking that that is exactly what the calculus was. If you think about it, the USA should play Team Italy. Team USA would have to be the top-seeded team in this pool, and Italy--obviously--is the lowest seeded team. It's kind of unfair to the US for the WBC organizers to make it a little bit harder for them to advance by putting them up against a better team in the first game.

Having said that, there's no better way to pack the house for Game 1. And that's what's going on here, I bet.
    I've been thinking about this even more and I think Canada-USA being one of the first few games being played in the WBC will help push it to the forefront of not only Canadian media but American media too much more quickly. I'm not sure how many of you know North American geography well (I mean no offense when I say that) but Toronto is probably only a 6-8 hour drive from alot of major east coast American cities, including NY. With so much media being situated semi close to Toronto in NY, they will pay alot more attention to this tourney right away.

I also think by making sure Canada plays the USA, it also helps in showcasing just truly how much potential international baseball has to be taken seriously. I know alot of the first WBC's games sold well (I think Petco was sold out and Anaheim Stadium looked close to packed) but NONE of those stadiums compare to the atmosphere a sold out Jays game has. Now imagine a sold out CANADA game in Skydome and that right there would rival any atmosphere in international football matches. (Which would be one big effff you to the IOC about why this sport should still be in the Olympics.)

I know alot of the first WBC's games sold well (I think Petco was sold out and Anaheim Stadium looked close to packed) but NONE of those stadiums compare to the atmosphere a sold out Jays game has. Now imagine a sold out CANADA game in Skydome and that right there would rival any atmosphere in international football matches.
    I dunno, those Korean fans in Anaheim and especially San Diego really stole the show. That'll be hard to beat.

One great thing about the game being in Toronto is, as you say, how close the city is to big eastern U.S. cities. So not only will some fans show up from New York and Phillie and Boston to cheer on Team USA, but NY Mets fans could stick around to see Johan Santana. Maybe even some Chicago fans will come to see Carlos Zambrano. Or Detroit Tigers fans (and the handful of Tigers fans that are left in Western Ontario) to see Carlos Guillen and Miguel Cabrera. And then there's all of those moms and dads and cousins from Jersey who'll want to come see their AA kids play on Team Italy. (That last one is a joke. Sort of.)
    Last edited by Rally Monkey; 09-24-2008 at 08:06 PM.

You can cross Roy Halladay off Team USA's roster.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...ss-up-wbc.aspx

And probably Brandon Webb and Dan Haren too:

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=...-8&sa=N&tab=wn

I hear Roger Clemens is available!

Meanwhile, it's been reported elsewhere that Hanley Ramirez (ss-Dominican Republic), Alfredo Amezaga (if/of-Mexico), Jorge Cantu (3b-Mexico), Renyel Pinto (rp-Venezuela), and Rick VandenHurk (sp-Netherlands)--all with the Florida Marlins organization--have committed to play for their national teams in the Classic.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

And it looks like starting pitcher Shairon Martis of the Washington Nationals will join VandenHurk on Team Netherlands:

Meanwhile, it's been reported elsewhere that Hanley Ramirez (ss-Dominican Republic), Alfredo Amezaga (if/of-Mexico), Jorge Cantu (3b-Mexico), Renyel Pinto (rp-Venezuela), and Rick VandenHurk (sp-Netherlands)--all with the Florida Marlins organization--have committed to play for their national teams in the Classic.

And it looks like starting pitcher Shairon Martis of the Washington Nationals will join VandenHurk on Team Netherlands:

Hopefully Dutch-Americans like Dave Aardsma will be included on the Orange roster as well...

Good news I guess for Canada that we might not have to play against someone like Halladay BUT I still didn't want to see a flurry of Americans not wanting to play for the USA. I'm really hoping we dont see the same from Harden/Dempster because neither played last time.(Although I'm pretty sure Harden was in usual DL state back then)

Also, to add to the Canadian roster is a player I frankly did not hear alot about because he played for the Reds but Joey Votto in the OF. He was a rookie this year and could definately have a chance at ROTY this year.

Also about your Dutch team and I'm not sure if any of you will agree but I wouldnt take their pitching so lightly. Jurrgens/Vanden Hurk(is that how it's spelt?)/Martis have all won at a MLB level and could definately pull off an upset in any game they pitch in.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast