Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Create your 09 WBC team roster

Quote Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
    I know alot of the first WBC's games sold well (I think Petco was sold out and Anaheim Stadium looked close to packed) but NONE of those stadiums compare to the atmosphere a sold out Jays game has. Now imagine a sold out CANADA game in Skydome and that right there would rival any atmosphere in international football matches.
    I dunno, those Korean fans in Anaheim and especially San Diego really stole the show. That'll be hard to beat.

One great thing about the game being in Toronto is, as you say, how close the city is to big eastern U.S. cities. So not only will some fans show up from New York and Phillie and Boston to cheer on Team USA, but NY Mets fans could stick around to see Johan Santana. Maybe even some Chicago fans will come to see Carlos Zambrano. Or Detroit Tigers fans (and the handful of Tigers fans that are left in Western Ontario) to see Carlos Guillen and Miguel Cabrera. And then there's all of those moms and dads and cousins from Jersey who'll want to come see their AA kids play on Team Italy. (That last one is a joke. Sort of.)
    Last edited by Rally Monkey; 09-24-2008 at 08:06 PM.

You can cross Roy Halladay off Team USA's roster.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...ss-up-wbc.aspx

And probably Brandon Webb and Dan Haren too:

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=...-8&sa=N&tab=wn

I hear Roger Clemens is available!

Meanwhile, it's been reported elsewhere that Hanley Ramirez (ss-Dominican Republic), Alfredo Amezaga (if/of-Mexico), Jorge Cantu (3b-Mexico), Renyel Pinto (rp-Venezuela), and Rick VandenHurk (sp-Netherlands)--all with the Florida Marlins organization--have committed to play for their national teams in the Classic.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

And it looks like starting pitcher Shairon Martis of the Washington Nationals will join VandenHurk on Team Netherlands:

Quote Originally Posted by Rally Monkey View Post
    Meanwhile, it's been reported elsewhere that Hanley Ramirez (ss-Dominican Republic), Alfredo Amezaga (if/of-Mexico), Jorge Cantu (3b-Mexico), Renyel Pinto (rp-Venezuela), and Rick VandenHurk (sp-Netherlands)--all with the Florida Marlins organization--have committed to play for their national teams in the Classic.

And it looks like starting pitcher Shairon Martis of the Washington Nationals will join VandenHurk on Team Netherlands:

Hopefully Dutch-Americans like Dave Aardsma will be included on the Orange roster as well...
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Good news I guess for Canada that we might not have to play against someone like Halladay BUT I still didn't want to see a flurry of Americans not wanting to play for the USA. I'm really hoping we dont see the same from Harden/Dempster because neither played last time.(Although I'm pretty sure Harden was in usual DL state back then)

Also, to add to the Canadian roster is a player I frankly did not hear alot about because he played for the Reds but Joey Votto in the OF. He was a rookie this year and could definately have a chance at ROTY this year.

Also about your Dutch team and I'm not sure if any of you will agree but I wouldnt take their pitching so lightly. Jurrgens/Vanden Hurk(is that how it's spelt?)/Martis have all won at a MLB level and could definately pull off an upset in any game they pitch in.

Quote Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
    Also about your Dutch team and I'm not sure if any of you will agree but I wouldnt take their pitching so lightly. Jurrgens/Vanden Hurk(is that how it's spelt?)/Martis have all won at a MLB level and could definately pull off an upset in any game they pitch in.
    I've written the same thing. I'm not sure what the first round match-ups for Pool D will be, but if the Netherlands plays Puerto Rico in the opening game, I definitely think an upset is possible. Jair Jurrgens had a sensational rookie season, I think, finishing with 13 wins and in the top 25 of all major league pitchers in ERA--lower than Jamie Moyer, Carlos Zambrano, and John Lackey. And his strikeouts were well above the major league average. He's good. And he can beat any team on any day. And if Eenhoorn starts Jurrgens in game 1--which he must--the Netherlands would definitely stand a chance.

Especially if that game 1 is against Puerto Rico. I still don't have a good sense of who Puerto Rico's starting pitchers will be. But whoever they are, they're not likely to be a strong bunch. It'll help, I suppose, that they'll be playing before the home crowd again. But Jurrgens will be tough to beat. If P.R. loses that game, it could get even tougher for them. They'd no doubt survive against Panama in the first elimination game (although P.R. just barely squeaked by Panama in the 2006 Classic), but they'd likely go on to play the Netherlands again in the final elimination game. And if Eenhoorn saves Shairon Martis for game 3, then all bets are off. (Although his ERA wasn't steller in 5 games this season for the Nationals, Martis is a real up-and-comer who famously pitched a no-hitter against Panama in the last WBC.)

If anyone has any thoughts on the Puerto Rico roster, I'd appreciate hearing them...

UPDATE: Forget all that. I just read a report in a Spanish language newspaper that the WBC organizers have picked the Netherlands to play the Dominican Republic in game 1. And Puerto Rico will play Panama. This, obviously, makes the Netherland's chances a little slimmer. I mean a lot slimmer. Eenhoorn should start Rick VandenHurk in game 1 against the D.R. and save Martis and Jurrgens for the elimination rounds. And pray.
    Last edited by Rally Monkey; 09-29-2008 at 10:11 PM.

I've written the same thing. I'm not sure what the first round match-ups for Pool D will be, but if the Netherlands plays Puerto Rico in the opening game, I definitely think an upset is possible. Jair Jurrgens had a sensational rookie season, I think, finishing with 13 wins and in the top 25 of all major league pitchers in ERA--lower than Jamie Moyer, Carlos Zambrano, and John Lackey. And his strikeouts were well above the major league average. He's good. And he can beat any team on any day. And if Eenhoorn starts Jurrgens in game 1--which he must--the Netherlands would definitely stand a chance.

Especially if that game 1 is against Puerto Rico. I still don't have a good sense of who Puerto Rico's starting pitchers will be. But whoever they are, they're not likely to be a strong bunch. It'll help, I suppose, that they'll be playing before the home crowd again. But Jurrgens will be tough to beat. If P.R. loses that game, it could get even tougher for them. They'd no doubt survive against Panama in the first elimination game (although P.R. just barely squeaked by Panama in the 2006 Classic), but they'd likely go on to play the Netherlands again in the final elimination game. And if Eenhoorn saves Shairon Martis for game 3, then all bets are off. (Although his ERA wasn't steller in 5 games this season for the Nationals, Martis is a real up-and-comer who famously pitched a no-hitter against Panama in the last WBC.)

If anyone has any thoughts on the Puerto Rico roster, I'd appreciate hearing them...

UPDATE: Forget all that. I just read a report in a Spanish language newspaper that the WBC organizers have picked the Netherlands to play the Dominican Republic in game 1. And Puerto Rico will play Panama. This, obviously, makes the Netherland's chances a little slimmer. I mean a lot slimmer. Eenhoorn should start Rick VandenHurk in game 1 against the D.R. and save Martis and Jurrgens for the elimination rounds. And pray.
    Great explanation; I think your definately right with what the Dutch have to do to become the first European team to reach the second round. IF that Spanish newspaper is right too, it's unfortunate for the Netherlands and their chances. Assuming a Dutch loss with VandenHurk pitching, who would pitch in the first elimination game if
    a)Panama beats Puerto Rico
    b)Puerto Rico Panama

Carlos Lee says that he expects to be 100% healthy by mid-December and will play for Team Panama.

http://www.prensa.com/hoy/deportes/1541368.html

Meanwhile, this Venezuelan newspaper delivers the news that Johan Santana's knee injury (and recent surgery) means he won't be joining Team Venezuela. http://www.eltiempo.com.ve/noticias/....asp?id=165820

Hope it's not so!
    Last edited by Rally Monkey; 10-03-2008 at 09:29 PM.

One thing I like to see for Team USA is a better manager than they had in the last WBC. The two peoples I like to see pick for a manager would be Davey Johnson or if he still kicking than the manager I lke to see is the greatest manager of all time Tommy Lasorda

it would be the best way to get some of the best players out there

Quote Originally Posted by Americanoutlaw2.0 View Post
    One thing I like to see for Team USA is a better manager than they had in the last WBC. The two peoples I like to see pick for a manager would be Davey Johnson or if he still kicking than the manager I lke to see is the greatest manager of all time Tommy Lasorda

it would be the best way to get some of the best players out there
    Davey Johnson has a proven track record in the International game. I have a feeling that Buck Martinez didn't utilize him that much in the 2006 WBC. If I was in charge at USA Baseball, I'd tell Davey the pro-teams job is his as long as he wants it. I'd have Marty Scott as one of Davey's assistants as well. Marty is also well-versed in the international game as well.

Davey Johnson should be the PERMANENT manager of all USA Baseball treams that consists of pro players.

Quote Originally Posted by SDL View Post
    Davey Johnson has a proven track record in the International game. I have a feeling that Buck Martinez didn't utilize him that much in the 2006 WBC. If I was in charge at USA Baseball, I'd tell Davey the pro-teams job is his as long as he wants it. I'd have Marty Scott as one of Davey's assistants as well. Marty is also well-versed in the international game as well.

Davey Johnson should be the PERMANENT manager of all USA Baseball treams that consists of pro players.
    Any pick for manager is better than Buck Martinez

Davey Johnson would be the top of my list but the first person I would ask if they like the job is Tommy Lasorda.

Quote Originally Posted by Americanoutlaw2.0 View Post
    Any pick for manager is better than Buck Martinez

Davey Johnson would be the top of my list but the first person I would ask if they like the job is Tommy Lasorda.
    Before the 2006 WBC, Johnson had managed the 2005 USA Baseball IBAF World Cup squad and the CONCEBE Olympica Qualifying squad. He also managed the 2004 Dutch Olympic squad on an interim basis and stayed on as a coach for Athens. Most people thought he'd get the head gig for the 2006 WBC. Hopefully, USA Baseball will give the job to Davey for 2009.

Why I been saiding Tommy Lasorda is he has been talking about wanting to be the manager of team usa

Cross Manny off your fantasy Dominican Republic roster. He won't play in the Classic:

http://www.pe.com/sports/baseball/do...2.487f396.html

ESPN's reporting that Ichiro will step up again to play for Team Japan.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3653230

The reporter apparently missed the recent news that Magglio Ordonez has reconciled with Venezuela baseball officials and has committed to play in the WBC.

I was pretty much assuming all the Japanese players besides maybe Matsui would be joing Japan again.

Ichiro says that the Japan is not taking the tournament seriusly there is not manager yet for the team

Blog Entries
    Japan Olympic coach Hoshino won't return for WBC:
    http://www.ibaf.org/archives/news/446
    Suzuki urges Japan to get serious about WBC
    "(Japanese officials) say they want to build the strongest team, but at the same time say its difficult to pick an active manager," Suzuki was quoted as saying in Sunday's Nikkansports newspaper. "I wonder if they really want to build the best team."
    http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/...pan-Suzuki.php

Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglandAmazins View Post
    Japan Olympic coach Hoshino won't return for WBC:
    http://www.ibaf.org/archives/news/446
    So now that Venezuela's finally got its act together, it's time for the Japanese to get all dysfunctional.

They'll sort it out, of course. But this all goes to show you how much pressure these guys are under to perform well for their countries. It's funny that the Americans don't seem to feel the same sort of stress...

Kendry Morales to play for Dominican Republic has this guy chance to make this team? in a baseball land that have a lot of talented players and in 1st base with Pujols and Carlos Peña

I dont think so

Roster news is starting to fly fast and furious.

News from Team Puerto Rico. ESPN Deportes is reporting that Carlos Delgado, Carlos Beltran and Iván Rodríguez have agreed to play for their country. Mike Aviles, Alexis Rios, Felipe López, Javier Vazquez, Jose Vidro, Geovany Soto and Joel Piñeiro have also confirmed their participation. And Mike Lowell is still uncertain because of his hip operation this week. But there's hope.

A Dominican newspaper is reporting that Albert Pujols, Vladimir Guerrero, Alfonso Soriano, Pedro Martínez, Adrián Beltré, Cristian Guzmán, and Miguel Tejada have all agreed to play for Team Dominicana. (Pujols is probably out due to his elbow surgery. I hope not!)

Luis Sojo, manager of Team Venezuela, has announced his coaching staff--including the Big Cat!

Manny Corpas will play for Team Panama.

And, last but not least, there's strange, new speculation regarding Japan's so-far futile search for a manager. Will it be Ichiro?
    Last edited by Rally Monkey; 10-24-2008 at 01:39 PM.

Blog Entries
    It's funny that the Americans don't seem to feel the same sort of stress...
    You're right, it does seem like other countries are taking the WBC more seriously. Is MLB promoting the WBC enough domestically? MLB Network has gotten the lion's share of league promos.

Blog Entries
    I live twenty minutes from Dolphins stadium and when I listened to a Marlins broadcast, the WBC was advertised extensively during the broadcast locally.

Team- USA
    Starting Pitchers
    1- Cliff Lee
    2- Brandon Webb
    3- Tim Lincecum
    4- Jake Peavy

Bullpen-
    - Brad Lidge
    - John Papelbon
    - Brad Ziegler
    - J.P. Howell
    - Brian Wilson
    - Ryan Madson
    - Bobby Jenks
    - Joe Nathan
    - B.J. Ryan
    Total Pitchers-14

Catchers
    - Joe Mauer
    - Brian McCann
    - Mike Napoli
    Total number of Catchers-3

Infielders
    1B Ryan Howard
    2B Chase Utley
    3B David Wright
    SS Stephen Drew
    BN Dustin Pedroia
    BN Ian Kinsler
    BN Evan Longoria
    Totals numbers of Infielders-7

Outfielders
    LF Ryan Braun
    CF Josh Hamilton
    RF Ryan Ludwick
    BN Grady Sizemore
    BN Curtis Granderson
    BN Hunter Pence
    Totals of Outfielders-6

DH
    Pick players form Outfielders and Infielders-
    - Aubrey Huff
    - Jim Thome
    - Prince Fielder
    Totals Numbers of players-30

Manager- Frank Robinson
    People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. -Rogers Hornsby

Quote Originally Posted by Francoeurstein View Post
    Team- USA
    Starting Pitchers
    1- Cliff Lee
    2- Brandon Webb
    3- Tim Lincecum
    4- Jake Peavy

Catchers
    - Joe Mauer
    - Brian McCann
    - Mike Napoli
    Total number of Catchers-3
    Lincecum and Webb have already said they won't play. And here's why picking Brian McCann would be a big mistake.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast