Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: most losses to start season

  1. #1

    Unhappy most losses to start season

    the tigers' woes made me wonder what the record was for consecutive losses to start a season. i think it might be the orioles of the late 1980's. is that correct?

  2. #2
    1988 to be exact, they talked about it during the broadcast.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Littleton, Colorado
    Posts
    3,132
    Tigers better start winning or Jimmy "Quitter" Leyland will want to spend more time with his grandkids again.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    161st St & River Ave (by way of Northern NJ)
    Posts
    21,251
    Blog Entries
    1
    Which are the top 10 most losses by teams to start the season, and in which years were those? I'm just looking for the years, the teams, the number of losses to begin those seasons.

    Thanks.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Sweater View Post
    Tigers better start winning or Jimmy "Quitter" Leyland will want to spend more time with his grandkids again.

    The Tigers lost one manager to that about a decade ago. I'm in no way expecting that to happen, now, this is still the best team on paper Leyland has had and it's not like the personnel aren't there to right the ship. They're much better than the 88 Orioles or the Tigers pre-Leyland, post Sparky. But a long season could very well equate to, well, I'd best not say it.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Littleton, Colorado
    Posts
    3,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    The Tigers lost one manager to that about a decade ago. I'm in no way expecting that to happen, now, this is still the best team on paper Leyland has had and it's not like the personnel aren't there to right the ship. They're much better than the 88 Orioles or the Tigers pre-Leyland, post Sparky. But a long season could very well equate to, well, I'd best not say it.
    I agree with you. I would have just felt better if Leyland and Zimmer would have told the truth when they left the Rockies. Sort of a pisser to hear these guys say they want to spend more time with the grandkids then see Zimmer in the Yankees dugout within a few weeks, then see Leyland land a job with a good young team with the foundation work already being done.


  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Sweater View Post
    I agree with you. I would have just felt better if Leyland and Zimmer would have told the truth when they left the Rockies. Sort of a pisser to hear these guys say they want to spend more time with the grandkids then see Zimmer in the Yankees dugout within a few weeks, then see Leyland land a job with a good young team with the foundation work already being done.

    to be fair to leyland though, he was out of baseball for quite a few years. I think a 6 year layoff is sufficient time to spend with the grandkids, dont you?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,014
    Quote Originally Posted by banny View Post
    the tigers' woes made me wonder what the record was for consecutive losses to start a season. i think it might be the orioles of the late 1980's. is that correct?
    I believe Imgran said it's 1988. I believe they lost 21 games to start the season. I doubt the Tigers will challenge that record.

    Off topic, but why is OS constantly linking to that banner in his posts?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    QU
    Posts
    2,518
    Blog Entries
    3
    What about the 1962 Mets?
    You must pick battles that are small enough to win, but large enough to matter

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hatillo, Puerto Rico
    Posts
    2,168
    1997 Cubs anyone?
    Last Player to hit for the Cycle: Michael Cuddyer, Colorado Rockies (August 17, 2014)

    Last Pitcher to throw a Regular Season No-Hitter: Jordan Zimmerman, Washington Nationals (September 28, 2014)

    Last Pitcher to throw a Postseason No-Hitter: Roy Halladay, Philadelphia Phillies 4-0 (October 6, 2010)

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    1997 Cubs anyone?
    I'm still trying to forget that year. god was that terrible.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    5,039
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by NJMetfan4life View Post
    What about the 1962 Mets?
    The Mets lost 10 straight starting with Opening Day.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Littleton, Colorado
    Posts
    3,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Evangelion View Post
    Off topic, but why is OS constantly linking to that banner in his posts?

    I'll ask him if I see him.


  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Sweater View Post
    I'll ask him if I see him.
    He was here a minute ago - you just missed him.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Littleton, Colorado
    Posts
    3,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Blaze View Post
    He was here a minute ago - you just missed him.
    Drats! Ol' fart is hard to find at times.


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas NV
    Posts
    3,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattingly View Post
    Which are the top 10 most losses by teams to start the season, and in which years were those? I'm just looking for the years, the teams, the number of losses to begin those seasons.

    Thanks.
    I have tried to find out that info but no luck as yet!
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

    No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •