Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting From LGA (or EWR) to/from Yankee Stadium

Getting From LGA (or EWR) to/from Yankee Stadium

Hello all,

For our Gotham experts, I have a few questions. I am bringing my sons and my camera to Yankee Stadium next month for an afternoon game against the Tribe (yes, we have bleacher tickets, no you won't be able to tell we're Tribe fans...I've spent enough Sundays in the Dawg Pound to know not to make the mistake of not going neutral - in fact I might even wear a Yanks hat if my head doesn't self combust from that trauma). I work for an airline, so we'll be heading into either LaGuardia or Newark that morning and returning home after the game. For those of you unfamiliar with airline employee flight benefits, just know that you travel standby, which when translated into English sometimes means "Stand and wave goodbye at the flight you wanted to take." With that in mind, I can't predict this far out which airport we will use, it might even be a different airport for each leg of the journey.

My questions are these:
    What is the most efficient way to get from LGA to Yankee Stadium and more importantly, the best way to get back to the airport after an afternoon game?

Next, same question but use the Newark Airport.

My youngsters (ages 10, 14, 15) have not been sheltered too much from filthy language...so I'm not too worried about them hearing bad words in the Yankee Stadium bleachers. However, if there comes a point where I would prefer not to have a 10 year old in that environment (assuming the game is not a sellout - weekday afternoon in May), can we leave the bleachers and find somewhere to sit in the boonies of the upper/lower deck?

Finally, with bleacher tickets can we check out Monument Valley and the main grandstand during batting practice or are we limited to the bleacher area only?

Long live Yankee Stadium and other structures like it in this country. We're tearing it down so corporate turd buglars can have luxury this and that accomodations at sporting events that they won't even watch. My deepest sympathies to the loyal fans of the hated Yankees, you have earned a better treatment than this!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Shakey View Post
    Hello all,

For our Gotham experts, I have a few questions. I am bringing my sons and my camera to Yankee Stadium next month for an afternoon game against the Tribe (yes, we have bleacher tickets, no you won't be able to tell we're Tribe fans...I've spent enough Sundays in the Dawg Pound to know not to make the mistake of not going neutral - in fact I might even wear a Yanks hat if my head doesn't self combust from that trauma). I work for an airline, so we'll be heading into either LaGuardia or Newark that morning and returning home after the game. For those of you unfamiliar with airline employee flight benefits, just know that you travel standby, which when translated into English sometimes means "Stand and wave goodbye at the flight you wanted to take." With that in mind, I can't predict this far out which airport we will use, it might even be a different airport for each leg of the journey.

My questions are these:
    What is the most efficient way to get from LGA to Yankee Stadium and more importantly, the best way to get back to the airport after an afternoon game?

Next, same question but use the Newark Airport.

My youngsters (ages 10, 14, 15) have not been sheltered too much from filthy language...so I'm not too worried about them hearing bad words in the Yankee Stadium bleachers. However, if there comes a point where I would prefer not to have a 10 year old in that environment (assuming the game is not a sellout - weekday afternoon in May), can we leave the bleachers and find somewhere to sit in the boonies of the upper/lower deck?

Finally, with bleacher tickets can we check out Monument Valley and the main grandstand during batting practice or are we limited to the bleacher area only?

Long live Yankee Stadium and other structures like it in this country. We're tearing it down so corporate turd buglars can have luxury this and that accomodations at sporting events that they won't even watch. My deepest sympathies to the loyal fans of the hated Yankees, you have earned a better treatment than this!!

NY transplant in Cleveland here. First of all don't sell out by wearing a Yankees hat. Go neutral but no Yankees hat. One of the reasons I moved to Cleveland was to get away from Yankees fans. I am not going to say Cleveland is a better city, because cities are just buildings and roads, but the PEOPLE of Cleveland are better than the PEOPLE of NY.

That being said you can take a bus from LGA to Grand Central, from there take the subway up to Yankee Stadium. Its #4 line you need it will take you there.

Newark take a bus to Port Authority, from there take the shuttle (aka S train to Grand central) and then take the #4 train to Yankee stadium

Represent Cleveland well!

The bleachers are separated from the rest of the park - you go in separate entrances, and you can't get anywhere else. You also can't access Monument Park, I'm afraid.

As for getting there, you have a couple options. A taxi from LaGuardia will be the easiest, but expensive. Maybe fifty bucks, depending on traffic. From Newark, as well - they'll just run up the Jersey turnpike, hop across the George Washington Bridge and into the Bronx.

There are also buses that will get you to Penn Station from Newark and Grand Central from LaGuardia, and from there you jump on the subway. Those will run you fifteen to twenty-five dollars per each way, plus $2 per person for the subway.

For four people, I'd say a taxi's your best bet. Bus fares add up pretty quickly. After the game, there'll probably be some around, or you could take one of the inevitable car services that hang around after the games - just make sure that you negotiate a fare beforehand.

Enjoy the game!

Regarding the hat...it would be more like camouflage than anything. I'm a grown man who can take ribbing boarding on verbal abuse, I just don't want my boys to experience it... There's a dress code for standby travel, so we'll be in neutral clothing anyway. Glad you like it here in Cleveland, I've always thought the plusses outweighed the minuses in this neck of the woods as well.

The bleachers are MUCH more family friendly now that they're alcohol free, but you'll have more than a few folks out there who "filled up" before the game. And if you subscribe to "the PEOPLE of Cleveland are better than the PEOPLE of NY" it could get ugly, lol.

I like your moniker.

Quote Originally Posted by aqib View Post
    NY transplant in Cleveland here. First of all don't sell out by wearing a Yankees hat. Go neutral but no Yankees hat. One of the reasons I moved to Cleveland was to get away from Yankees fans. I am not going to say Cleveland is a better city, because cities are just buildings and roads, but the PEOPLE of Cleveland are better than the PEOPLE of NY.
    Personally, I beg to differ, but to each his own......

Get tier reserved tickets. With bleacher seating you won't really get much else (no monument park or access to rest of stadium) and the view IMO kinda sucks. There are alcohol free sections there too if you are interested.
    Twenty Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Petemc1969 View Post
    Personally, I beg to differ
    As do I.

Picking up tier reserved is not a bad idea. Should be plenty available.

Blog Entries
    If you're flying into Newark, your best bet is to rent a car, get on the Turnpike north and follow until you get the George Washington Bridge. The only problems there are of course the traffic at the bridge, the toll, and traffic on the Major Deegan south (route 87) which is the next highway that takes you to Yankee Stadium. I personally take the Harlem River exit which is right before the Deegan. Then you can just cross one of the bridges that connect Manhattan to the South Bronx.

As far as LGA, your best best bet there is to get one of the many cabs waiting and go that way.

Rent a car? With gas and parking, that won't be much less expensive than cabs. I doubt it would be cheaper enough to be worth the aggravation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by six4three View Post
    Rent a car? With gas and parking, that won't be much less expensive than cabs. I doubt it would be cheaper enough to be worth the aggravation.

True, but thats if you're coming from Newark I only meant. I guess being a Jersey person, a car is just so much more convenient in my mind set, I can go when and where I want on my terms and not worry about cabs, bus schedules and crowded trains. I guess I'm just not a city guy.

As far as getting to YS from Newark, I suggest the Newark Liberty Airport Express bus service; the cost is $13, and kids under 12 ride for free. you can take it into Grand Central Station and then just take the 4 train up to the stadium.

From LGA to the stadium I would definitely suggest New York Airport Service (another bus service). They can also drop you off at Grand Central and the cost is $12; doesn't look like the give freebies to the kids, but if you purchase a round trip ticket online it seems, you do get $3 off each reservation. I used this service some time ago to go to Newark and it worked out perfectly (though I just checked and they don't do Newark runs anymore -- only NY airports and train stations it seems)

Hope this helps

Thanks everybody, this is good stuff so far. I personally don't subscribe to people are better here/there/anywhere, escpecially since there are 6 billion of us mouth breathers in the world and a**holes come in all shapes, colors, and nationalites as do the good folks! I think we'll do public transportation for the NYC experience of Grand Central Station and the #4 train to the stadium on the way in. Kind of a neat experience for kids who have never been to the Big Apple. Looks like a cab back to the airport might be the answer as well. On to another question:

Can you upgrade bleacher tickets at YS to other seats? I already have the tickets in hand. Maybe at a ticket window?

P.S. Thanks alpineinc, no matter what your mood, no matter how good or bad things get, the real Bernard Shakey has an album (or 3) that can provide the perfect soundtrack. I find his albums are the wine choice to the main course that is my life.

From LGA: get on the M60 bus out of LGA to 125th street and Lexington Ave, then take the 4 train 2 stops north to Yankee Stadium. Reverse the process to get back. It works, I've used it. About 30-40 minutes.

Not familiar with EWR.

BTW, buy a one day MetroCard at Hudson News in the terminal for each of you.
    Last edited by Kentucky Bomber; 04-10-2008 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Bomber View Post
    From LGA: get on the M60 bus out of LGA to 125th street and Lexington Ave, then take the 4 train 2 stops north to Yankee Stadium. Reverse the process to get back. It works, I've used it. About 30-40 minutes.

Not familiar with EWR.

Ooh I forgot about the M60 to 125th; that would be even more perfect from LGA.

Quote Originally Posted by CMart View Post
    Ooh I forgot about the M60 to 125th; that would be even more perfect from LGA.
    Yes! The M60 the take the D or B at 125th... It'll cost u 2 dollars.
    Twenty Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Shakey View Post
    Can you upgrade bleacher tickets at YS to other seats? I already have the tickets in hand. Maybe at a ticket window?
    I remember back in 2002, I was planning on going to a game with a buddy of mine from high school, and he wanted to get to the stadium by 8am cause he wasn't sure if there were gonna be tickets left. So I ordered tickets to the game the day before with my mom's credit card, and we picked them up at the stadium. They offered seat upgrades to some people, so I guess it's possible you can upgrade your seats. I'm not sure if theyre doing it this year, though, because basically every game is sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by CMart View Post
    As far as getting to YS from Newark, I suggest the Newark Liberty Airport Express bus service; the cost is $13, and kids under 12 ride for free. you can take it into Grand Central Station and then just take the 4 train up to the stadium.
    Yeah, but with only one kid under 12, that's still $36, plus $8 for the subway tickets. $44, one way. I think a cab would be about $50, and it's a lot easier trip.

Not that I'm discouraging anyone from visiting my city, but if the goal is really to get in and out as quickly and simply as possible (all the better to wait on those freebie airplane seats), the bus might be more trouble than its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Bomber View Post
    No, don't. Not unless you're going to do more than subway up to Yankee Stadium and subway back down - one-days are $7.50, two subway trips are $6.

Smile What about JFK?

Coincidentally my husband and I are coming in for the same Tribe/Yankees game in May. We are flying into JFK and staying at a hotel right near JFK. What would be the cheapest way to get to Yankee Stadium?
    Second, what would be the fastest?
    My research says the subway will take an hour and a half, I want a chance to see monument park so I am a little concerned about the subway.
    I think I will wear my Tribe gear but I will respect the Yankee fans. It is their house after all. We have to see the "house that Babe built" before they knock it down.
    There is something to be said for those old stadiums, the new ones are beautiful but they lack something that the old stadiums have!

NY Transplant here living in Chicago...I also work in Aviation and know both airports and areas really well. Getting to the dump known as Yankee stadium isn't an easy task from either airport. From EWR you can take an NJ transit train to Penn station and then take the subway. LGA is much closer, but has little public transportation. Honestly, I would spend the money and rent a car for the day. It's a 15 min drive from LGA on a good day. Just take the Grand Central Pkwy to the Triboro Bridge and then shoot up the Major Deegan Expswy...just plan on traffic...it can be bad in that little triangle.

Quote Originally Posted by jackiea View Post
    Coincidentally my husband and I are coming in for the same Tribe/Yankees game in May. We are flying into JFK and staying at a hotel right near JFK. What would be the cheapest way to get to Yankee Stadium?
    Second, what would be the fastest?
    My research says the subway will take an hour and a half, I want a chance to see monument park so I am a little concerned about the subway.
    I think I will wear my Tribe gear but I will respect the Yankee fans. It is their house after all. We have to see the "house that Babe built" before they knock it down.
    There is something to be said for those old stadiums, the new ones are beautiful but they lack something that the old stadiums have!
    Bus to Grand Central, #4 subway to Yankee stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Vaz View Post
    True, but thats if you're coming from Newark I only meant. I guess being a Jersey person, a car is just so much more convenient in my mind set, I can go when and where I want on my terms and not worry about cabs, bus schedules and crowded trains. I guess I'm just not a city guy.
    Yeah, but I'm presuming that you own a car. He'd have to rent one - there's a world of difference there.

How far would it be to take a cab from LGA to Shea? Can't he catch the 7 at Shea and then change to the 4 at Grand Central. I under stand that would be about an hour and a half but still.

LGA to Shea? 5 minutes - they're practically next door.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast