Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: This Date In Washington Senators history...

This Date In Washington Senators history...

In an effort to stimulate some interest here in the SENATORS forum I'm going to try to chronicle events in Washington Senators history (both franchises-the original Senators [1901-1960] and the expansion Senators [1961-1971]).

As my time is somewhat limited, I won't be able to research this topic as thoroughly as I would like. Other BBF.com members are welcome, and encouraged, to add your contributions.
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 04-25-2008 at 05:22 PM.
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

April 10, 1961

The expansion Washington Senators debut in typical fashion-losing to the Chicago White Sox 4-3. President John F. Kennedy is among the 26,725 attendees who see Roy Sievers homer and drive in the winning run with a sacrifice fly.

Roy Sievers played 17 seasons in the major leagues including stints with both the original and expansion Senators. Roy holds the distinction of being the only player to have played for the St. Louis Browns and both versions of the Senators.

Roy Sievers' Career Record (courtesy Baseball Almanac)

April 10, 1913 Walter Johnson is the winning pitcher in an Opening Day 2-1 win against the New York Yankees. This is the first game the New York team appears as the "Yankees", having changed their name from "Highlanders". President Woodrow Wilson is in attendance.

Senators Birthdays

William Clifton (Cliff) Bolton B April 10, 1907 D April 21, 1979

A catcher (and one time outfielder) for the Senators in 1931, 1933-1936 & 1941. Also played for the Detroit Tigers in 1937.

Cliff Bolton Career Record

Roger Francis Wolff B April 10, 1911 D March 23, 1994

Pitched for the Senators from 1944-1946. Also played for the Philadelphia Athletics, Indians and Pirates.

Roger Wolff Career Record
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 04-10-2008 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Added birthday information
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

April 11

1961-The Minnesota Twins, the relocated original Washington franchise, playing their first "official" game, defeat the New York Yankees 6-0 in Yankee Stadium.

1966-Another Opening Day "first": Almost 19 years to the day after Jackie Robinson broke baseball's color barrier, Emmett Ashford debuts as major league baseball's first African-American umpire after toiling in the minors for 15 years.

More on Emmett Ashford

The Senators lose (what else?) to the Cleveland Indians 5-2.

Senators Birthdays

Scott Russell Cary Apr. 11, 1923 Still living

Pitcher Scott Cary appeared in 23 games for the 1947 Senators, compiling a W/L record of 3-1 with an ERA of 5.93.

Scott Cary career record

Spencer Armstrong Pumpelly B Apr. 11, 1893 D Dec. 5, 1973

Another pitcher who only appeared in one game in the majors, Spencer Pumpelly's only appearance with the Senators came on July 11, 1925 when he pitched in 1 inning, giving up a home run. His career ERA naturally is 9.0.

Spencer Pumpelly career record

Arthur Lincoln Quirk B Apr. 11, 1938 Still living

Art Quirk's 2 year career found him appearing in 7 games with the Baltimore Orioles in 1962 and another 7 games with the Senators in 1963. In Washington, he compiled a 1-0 record with an ERA of 4.29.

Art Quirk career record
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 05-31-2008 at 01:21 AM.

April 14

1910 President William Howard Taft, 27th president of the United States starts an American tradition by throwing out the ceremonial "first pitch".

Catching the ball is Senators pitcher Walter Johnson who throws a one-hitter, winning 3-0 over the Philadelphia Athletics. The only hit for the A's is a Frank Baker double.

1961 Washington's expansion Senators, playing their first home game in Griffith Stadium, even their record at 1-1 with a 3-2 win over the Cleveland Indians. Washington pitcher Joe McClain throws a 7 hit complete game. A crowd of 10,126 attend the Friday contest in what would be the last opening day at Griffith.

Senators Birthday: Frank Bertania B April 14, 1944. D March 3, 2010.

Getting his big league start with the Baltimore Orioles, Bertania played for the Orioles, Senators and Cardinals, playing two separate stints in Baltimore.

Frank Bertania career record
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 03-20-2010 at 11:30 PM.

April 15, 1957-President Dwight Eisenhower throws out the traditional first pitch of the year. The ball that the President tossed was the 10th millionth Spalding baseball to be used in Major League Baseball play. Camilo Pascual suffers the defeat as the Senators fall to the Orioles 7-6 in 11 innings in front of 37,223 at Griffith Stadium.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...95704150.shtml

Senators Birthday

Elmer John Gedeon B Apr. 15, 1917 D Apr. 20, 1944

Elmer Gedeon appeared in 5 games as an outfielder for the Senators in 1939. He went 3 for 15 at bat, working out to a .200 BA. Sadly he would be killed on April 20, 1944, five days after his 27th birthday, when his plane was shot down in France, making him the first major league player to be killed during World War II. (See April 20th's entry.)

Elmer Gedeon career record
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 05-31-2008 at 01:28 AM.

April 17

1913 Having already defeated the newly renamed New York Yankees on Opening Day in Washington, the Senators travel to New York for the Yankees first ever game at the Polo Grounds. The Senators spoil New York's debut, winning 9-3.

1951 In the first ever "Opening Day" night game, the Senators defeat the Philadelphia Athletics 6-1 in Philly.

1953 The Senators lose 7-3 to the Yankees at Griffith Stadium. Mickey Mantle hits a titanic home run off Washington pitcher Chuck Stobbs. The hit is supposedly measured to have travelled 565 feet, beginning the era of the "tape measure" home run.

Senators Birthdays

The Senators go 0 for April 17-there are no birthdays to report today.
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 05-31-2008 at 01:29 AM.

April 18

1960 Playing their last season in Washington, the original Senators start the season with a 10-1 win over the Boston Red Sox.

Ted Williams, playing in his last season, would hit a 500 foot home run in his first at bat, giving him a career total of 493, tying him with Lou Gehrig.

However, that would be the only offense the Red Sox would mount as the Senators would come up with 4 home runs of their own hit by Jim Lemon, Bob Allison, Earl Battey and Billy Consolo.

Camilio Pascual gets the win for the Senators, Tom Sturdivant is charged with the loss for the Red Sox.

Senators Birthdays

A quartet of birthdays on April 18th...

Edward John Boland B Apr. 18, 1908 D Feb. 5, 1993

Outfielder Ed Boland appeared in 38 games with the Phillies in 1934 & 1935. He wouldn't be seen in the major leagues again until 1944 when he appeared in 19 games for the Senators, batting .271 (16 for 59) with 4 doubles.

Ed Boland career record

Gerad Joseph (Gerry) Janeski B Apr. 18, 1946 Still living

The three year career of Jerry Janeski found him in the uniforms of the Chicago White Sox, Washington Senators and Texas Rangers from 1970-1972. In 23 games for the 1971 Senators he posted a 1-5 record with a 4.96 ERA.

Gerry Janeski career record

George Edward (Duffy) Lewis B Apr. 18, 1888 D Jun. 17, 1979

During the 11 year career of Duffy Lewis he patrolled the outfield for the Boston Red Sox from 1910-1917, not appearing in the major leagues in 1918 (possibly for military service during World War 1?), then playing for the New York Yankees in 1919 & 1920 and ending his baseball career with the 1921 Senators, appearing in 27 games. He hit .307 for the Red Sox in 1911 and .302 in 1917.

Duffy Lewis career record

Vincent Ventura B Apr. 18, 1917 D Sep. 11, 2001

Another "One Season Wonder", Vince Ventura appeared in 18 games for the 1945 Senators in left field, going 12 for 58 at bat.

Vince Ventura career record
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 08-22-2008 at 06:51 PM.

April 19

1961 The expansion Senators begin their first road trip, having gone 1-3 at home vs. the White Sox & Indians. The Senators get off to a good start, defeating the White Sox 7-2 in Comiskey Park in front of 16,637 fans.

Washington starter Ed Hobaugh gives up 2 runs in 2.2 innings with Marty Kutyna pitching the rest of the game and getting the win. Chicago uses 4 pitchers, starter Billy Pierce being charged with the loss.

Senators Birthdays

Hector Anibal (Garcia) Maestri B Apr. 19, 1935 Still living

Another member of the frequently mentioned Senators "Cuban Connection" Hector Maestri has the unique distinction of only ever appearing in two games-one with each version of the Senators!

His first appearance in the majors was in September of 1960 when he pitched 2 innings for the original Senators franchise, giving up 1 hit but no runs.

Hector wouldn't return to the majors until September of 1961, this time with the expansion Senators, pitching 6 innings, giving up 6 hits, 1 run and being charged with the loss. After that appearance he would disappear off the major league radar screen.

Hector Maestri career record

Ernest Gordon (Babe) Phelps B Apr. 19, 1908 D Dec. 10, 1992

Catcher Babe Phelps would first appear in a major league uniform with the 1931 Senators where he would play in 3 games. In 1933 he returned for another 3 games with the Chicago Cubs. He would play for the Cubs in 1934 as well. From 1935-1941 he was on the roster of the Brooklyn Dodgers, having some very good years at the plate in 1935-1937. He finished his baseball career with the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1942.

Babe Phelps career record
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 11-18-2008 at 01:31 PM.

April 20

1944 Elmer John Gedeon, an outfielder who played in 5 games with the 1939 Senators, is killed when his Army Air Corps plane is shot down over St. Pol, France. He was the first major leaguer to be killed in WWII and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

Elmer Gedeon career record

1961 The expansion Senators lose their first road game in Chicago by a score of 6-1.

Former Senators pitcher Early (Gus) Wynn gets the 286th victory of his career, Hal Woodeshick takes the loss for the Senators.

Chicago players hit 4 home runs, 2 by Roy Sievers (see April 10th), and one each from Jim Landis and Al Smith.

Early Wynn career record.

Senators Birthday

Charles Edwin Smith B Apr. 20, 1880 D Jan. 3, 1929

Pitcher Charlie Smith began his career with the 1902 Cleveland franchise when they were known as the "Blues". Only appearing in 3 games (where he went 2-1) he would return to the majors in 1906 with the Senators where he would stay through most of the 1909 season. He would be dealt to the Boston Red Sox near the end of the 1909 campaign and eventually finish his baseball career with the Chicago Cubs in 1914.

Smith had some rough years with the Senators, going 31-61 during his time in Washington during those early American League years when the early Senators teams set a precedent for losing.

Charlie Smith career record
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 04-10-2009 at 06:58 PM.

April 21

Today we get to "highlight" two of my favorite all time Senators...

1934 Morris (Moe) Berg extends his errorless streak to 117 games, setting a new American League record for catchers.

Quite possibly one of the most unique individuals to ever put on a baseball uniform, Moe Berg got his start in the major leagues in 1923 with the Brooklyn Robins, playing in 49 games as an infielder. Moe wouldn't return to the major leagues until 1926 with the Chicago White Sox. During the 1927 season, Moe first became a catcher when other Chicago catchers were injured. He would remain a catcher for the remainder of his career, excluding 1 game at 1st base while playing for the Red Sox in his last season as an active player.

Moe would play for Brooklyn, the Chicago White Sox, Cleveland Indians (twice), Washington Senators and finish his career in Boston. Moe spent 1932, 1933 and a portion of the 1934 seasons in Washington before finishing the season with the Indians.

What made Moe so unique was his classical education, his law degree and his ability to speak a number of languages (anywhere from 7 to 14 depending on your reference).

After his baseball playing days were done, Moe joined the OSS (Office of Strategic Services, precursor to today's CIA) and spent a part of World War II behind enemy lines in Nazi occupied Europe, a dangerous task for anyone, but even moreso for Moe, who was Jewish.

Moe, who died in May of 1972, has had at least 3 books written about him-quite an achievement for a lifetime .243 hitter with 6 home runs!

Moe Berg career record

More on Moe Berg from Wikipedia:

Moe Berg at Wikipedia

From the Jewish Virtual Library:

Moe Berg (1902-1972)

1961 "Old vs. New" Major league baseball debuts in Minnesota with the expansion Senators facing the Minnesota Twins, last year's Washington Senators. The new guys win it, 5-3. Joe McClain ups his record to 2-0 with Dave Sisler getting the save. Dale Long homers for Washington, Lenny Green and Don Mincher homer for Minnesota.

Don Mincher made his major league debut in April of 1960 with the Washington Senators. Making the move to Minnesota with the original Senators, Don would also play for the California Angels, Seattle Pilots, Oakland Athletics, expansion Senators, Texas Rangers and the Oakland Athletics (again) in a 13 year career.

Don is the answer to one of my favorite baseball trivia questions: "Who is the only player to have played with both versions of the Washington Senators and the teams they became?"

Don Mincher career record

Don is still active in baseball as president of the Southern League. Here's Don today:

Don Mincher, Southern League president

1972 After going 1-3 on the road, the newly relocated Texas Rangers, formerly the expansion Washington Senators, debut in Texas, winning their first game 7-6 against the visiting California Angels.

Former Senators Dick Bosman, Casey Cox and Paul Lindblad do the duties on the mound with Bosman getting the win, Lindblad the save. Clyde Wright gets tagged with the loss. Former Senators Frank Howard & Dave Nelson homer for Texas.

The Senators drew 655,156 fans during their last season in Washington. The move to Texas didn't bring the instant riches that owner Bob Short predicted. The Rangers would only draw 662,974 patrons, an increase of 7,818 fans.

Senators Birthday William Kiernan (Bill) Haywood B 4/21/1937 Still living

A "one season wonder" with the 1968 Senators, Bill was a 31 year old rookie, appearing in 14 games, finishing with a 0-0 record and 4.70 ERA.

Bill Haywood career record
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 04-22-2008 at 06:34 AM.

April 22

Not much to report in Senators "news" on this date, however there are a quartet of Senators birthdays to celebrate. In alphabetical order...

Steve Jones B April 22, 1941 Still living

Pitching just 3 years in the major leagues, Steve started his career with the Chicago White Sox in 1967 and came to the Senators, along with Ron Hansen and Dennis Higgins in a trade for Tim Cullen, Buster Harum and Bob Priddy. In 1969 he would play for the Kansas City Royals.

Steve Jones career record

John Orsino B April 22, 1938 Still living

John Orsino played for 7 years in the majors with the San Francisco Giants, Baltimore Orioles and finished his career with the Washington Senators in 1966 & 1967. John was a catcher who could also fill in at 1st base.

John Orsino career record

Bob Schmidt B April 22, 1933 Still living

A career catcher, Bob also spent 7 years in the majors with the Giants, Reds, Senators and Yankees.

Bob Schmidt career record

Mickey Vernon B April 22, 1918 D Sep. 4, 2008

To the "Washington faithful" Mickey Vernon needs no introduction. A career 1st baseman, Mickey played the majority of his 20 year career with the original Senators. Mickey was a 7 time All Star, Batting Champ in 1946 & 1953 and led the league in doubles in 1946, 1953 & 1954.

Mickey started his career with the Senators in 1939 and played in Washington until 1943 when his career was interrupted due to military service during WWII. Returning to the Senators in 1946 until 1948, he spent a brief period in Cleveland (1949 & part of 1950) before coming back to DC where he was with the Senators through 1955. He finished his career with the Milwaukee Braves and the Pittsburgh Pirates, ending his playing days in 1960.

Mickey Vernon career record

When the American League expanded in 1961 to 10 teams, Mickey was a sentimental favorite to manage the expansion Senators franchise. Unfortunately the talent Mickey displayed as a player couldn't be transferred to some of the teams he managed-he was saddled with one of the most woeful expansion franchises ever assembled. After the Senators finished in last place in 1961* & 1962, losing 100 & 101 games respectively, Mickey was fired 40 games into the 1963 season, with the Senators again in last place and a record of 14-26. Ned Yost served as interim manager, going 0-1 and was replaced by Gil Hodges. Under Gil's guidance the Senators went 42-79 over the rest of the 1963 season for a final record of 56-106, once again finishing in last place.

I've long maintained that had it not been for the 1962 Mets going 40-120 in their inaugural season in the media capital of the world, the 1963 Senators would be better remembered as one of the most inept expansion teams to ever (dis)grace a major league baseball diamond.

Expansion Senators managerial records

*Tied for 9th place with the Kansas City Athletics.
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 03-27-2010 at 10:08 PM.

Mickey Vernon is from my neck of the woods, born and raised in Chester, PA. Even though I never saw Mickey play, I have heard from others that witnessed Mickey play state that he was a quite a ballplayer and they believe that Mickey belongs in Cooperstown. The sports editor for the Delaware County Daily Times has lobbied in the past for the HOF Veterans Commitee to elect Mickey to the Hall of Fame. I remember watching a Phillies-Nationals game from 2005 and the Phillies "honored" Vernon at Citizens Bank Park. Phils broadcaster Harry Kalas mentioned that Mickey was his favorite player when he was growing up.

April 23

1919 Walter Johnson records his 5th Opening Day shutout, defeating the Philadelphia Athletics 1-0 in 13 innings.

1969 30 years to the day after he hit his 1st major league home run, Ted Williams returns to Fenway Park as the manager of the Washington Senators. The Senators win 9-3, with Joe Coleman getting the win and Ken McMullen and Mike Epstein homering for the visitors.

Senators Birthdays

I knew when I began this thread it would be no easy task. Today we have to dig really deep to find some Senators players born on this date. Once again, in alphabetical order...

Beveric Benton "Belve" Bean B April 23, 1905 D June 1, 1988

Hailing from the Lone Start State, "Belve" or "Bill" Bean spent 5 years (1930, 1931, 1933-1935) as a pitcher in the majors, spending most most of his time with the Cleveland Indians. He ended his pitching days with the Senators, where he appeared in 10 games, finishing with a 2-0 record and an ERA of 7.26.

"Belve" Bean career record

Bob Ganley B April 23,1875 D Oct. 9, 1945

An outfielder whose career began with the 1905 Pittsburgh Pirates, Ganley spent 1907, 1908 and the early part of 1909 with the Senators before finishing his playing days with the 1909 Philadelphia Athletics.

Bob Ganley career record

Samuel Mack "Sammy" Meeks B April 23, 1923 D April 23, 2007

A utility infielder who spent most of his time at short, but could also fill in at second and third, Sammy appeared in 24 games with the 1948 Senators. In 33 AB he only managed 4 hits (one double) for a batting average of .121. Sammy spent the next 3 seasons on the roster of the Cincinnati Reds.

Sammy Meeks career record
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 05-31-2008 at 02:45 AM.

April 24

Digging deep (again) for some Senators news on this date...

1923 President Warren G. Harding witnesses the first shutout thrown at Yankee Stadium. The victims were the Washington Senators, who lose 4-0 to the Yankees. The Senators would end the season in 4th place with a 75-78 record.

Senators Birthday

Harry Harper B April 24, 1895 D April 23, 1963

Starting his 10 year major league career with the Senators in 1913, Harper would see his best season in 1916 when he finished the season with a 14-10 record. After leaving the Senators, Harper would spend single seasons with the Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees and finish in Brooklyn with the Robins in 1923.

Harry Harper career record

April 25

Senators Birthdays

Red Bird B Apr. 25, 1890 D Mar. 23, 1972

With a name like Red Bird, you'd have thought this guy would have been a natural with the St. Louis Cardinals.

However, that wasn't to be the case. The mysterious Mr. Bird appeared in one game for the Senators in 1921. His official line lists him as having pitched 5 innings, giving up 3 runs (all earned) with 1 walk, 2 strike outs and 1 hit batter and no decision. That's where the story ends on Mr. Bird.

Red Bird career record

Bobby Estalella B Apr. 25, 1911 D Jan. 6, 1991

Almost 5 years ago now, when I first joined BBF, one of my first posts here in the Senators forum was a query on how many players had the "distinction" (or should I say "suffered the fate"?) of having played for the Philadelphia Athletics, St. Louis Browns and the Washington Senators.

After some research I would learn that, to the best of my knowledge, 14 players have worn the uniforms of the A's, Browns and Senators during the span of their careers.

One of the players who holds that dubious distinction is outfielder* Bobby Estalella. First appearing in the major leagues in 1935, Bobby spent the 1935, '36 & 39 seasons with the Senators, reappearing again in 1941 with the St. Louis Browns. 1942 found him back in Washington and he finished his career further up the eastern seaboard in Philadelphia from 1943-1945. He jumped to the Mexican League in 1946 but appeared one last time with the A's in 1949.

*And sometime 1st & 3rd baseman.

Bobby Estalella career record

Senators death

Carlos Paula B Nov. 28, 1917 D Apr. 25, 1983

When I first decided to try and document a daily Senators highlight for a calendar year, I thought I would try to cover births and not deaths, unless they were particularly notable. While from a statistics perspective, the 3 year (1954-1956) career of Havana, Cuba born Carlos Paula is not particularly notable, Paula is best remembered as the first black player with the Washington Senators.

Carlos first appeared in a Senators uniform on Sep. 6, 1954, more than 7 years after Jackie Robinson debuted with the Brooklyn Dodgers.

In 1955, Carlos played in 86 games as an outfielder, hitting 7 triples, 6 home runs but committing 10 errors in the field. His brief major league career ended on Jun. 23rd, 1956.

While not a great hitter or fielder, let us remember Carlos Paula as the man who broke the color line with one of baseball's last segregated franchises.

Carlos Paula career record
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 04-26-2008 at 12:39 AM.

April 26

1901 The American League starts play in Philadelphia, with the Senators besting the Philadelphia Athletics by the score of 5-1.

1931 The Senators defeat the New York Yankees by a score of 9-7. A bizarre play seals the win for the Senators and possibly costs Lou Gherig the 1931 home run crown. With Yankee Lyn Lary on base, Gehrig homers, a smash that clears the fence but bounces back into the hands of center fielder Harry Rice. Thinking the ball was caught for the third out, Lary heads for the dugout. Gehrig, running with his head down, is called out for passing the runner. Gehrig ends the season tied with Babe Ruth-both have hit 46 home runs. Gehrig finished the season with 184 RBI.

Senators Birthdays

Robert Sylvester (Buzz) Murphy B Apr. 26, 1895 D May 11, 1938

Outfielder Buzz Murphy played in 79 games with the Senators in 1919, collecting 66 hits in 252 at bats, good for a .262 batting average. In 1918, he played for the Boston Braves.

"Buzz" Murphy career record

Sam Dente B Apr. 26, 1922 D Apr. 21, 2002

Sam Dente's baseball career started with the Boston Red Sox in 1947. He spent the 1949-1951 seasons with the Senators, playing 2nd & 3rd base and shortstop. Other stops during his playing days found him making stops with the St. Louis Browns, Chicago White Sox and ending his career with the Cleveland Indians in 1955.

Sam Dente career record
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 04-27-2008 at 01:16 AM.

April 27

1947 It's Babe Ruth Day at Yankee Stadium. 58,339 fans in attendance hear the Babe give his farewell address. Ruth, who was suffering from throat cancer would succumb to the disease the next year. The Senators spoil the the tribute winning 1-0 with the Senators Sid Hudson getting the victory over Spurgeon (Spud) Chandler.

1970 The Senators trade 3rd baseman Ken McMullen to the California Angels for infielder Aurelio Rodriguez and outfielder Rick Reichardt. Reichardt had received a $200,000 bonus in 1964 to sign with the Angels. At the time he was hitting .167 in 9 games for California. Reichardt would appear in 107 games with the Senators, batting .267 with 70 hits, 15 home runs and 46 RBI. He would be traded to the Chicago White Sox prior to the 1971 season for pitcher Gerry Janeski.

1971 Curt Flood leaves the Senators after 15 games, he was batting just .200 at the time. In a 22 word telegram to owner Bob Short he writes: "I tried. A year and a half is too much. Very serious problems mounting every day. Thanks for your confidence and understanding". Rumors of financial problems surrounded Flood, in part stemming from his lawsuit against baseball's reserve clause.

Senators Birthdays

George Archie B Apr. 27, 1914 D Sep. 20, 2001

George Albert Archie spent 3 separate, and brief, stints in the major leagues. In 1938, he played in 3 games with the Detroit Tigers. He returned in 1941 to play 105 games with Washington and an additional 9 with the St. Louis Browns. Then, after another 4 year hiatus, (I'm assuming his career was interrupted by WWII.) he returned in 1946 to play in 4 last games with the St. Louis Browns.

Primarily a 1st/3rd baseman, Archie was traded by Washington to the St. Louis Browns for one of April 25th's birthday boys, Bobby Estalella.

George Archie career record

Orth Collins B Apr. 27, 1890 D Dec. 13, 1949

Orth Stein (Buck) Collins is another "short timer" with a broken period of time in the majors. Playing 5 games with the New York Highlanders (later Yankees) in 1904, Collins would not return to the majors until 1909 when he appeared in 8 games for the Senators. He was an outfielder who was pressed into 1 inning of relief pitching by Washington.

Orth Collins career record

"Dutch" Hinrichs B Apr 27, 1889 D Aug. 18, 1972

William Louis (Dutch) Hinrichs was a pitcher who played in 3 games for the 1910 Senators. He is charged with 1 loss and an ERA of 2.57 in 7 innings pitched.

Dutch Hinrichs career record

"Jug" Thesenga B Apr. 27, 1914 D Dec. 3, 2002

A 30 year old rookie, Arnold Joseph (Jug) Thesenga appeared in 5 games for the Senators in 1944. He started 1 game, pitched 12.3 innings, giving up 18 hits and 9 runs (7 earned) for a 5.11 ERA.

Jug Thesenga career record

"Kite" Thomas B Apr. 27, 1923 D Jan. 7, 1995

Completing April 27th's birthday list is Keith Marshall (Kite) Thomas. Playing 2 years in the majors, Thomas played the majority of his brief career with the Philadelphia Athletics in 1952 & 1953. He was picked up off waivers by Washington in June of '53, and played a grand total of 9 games in a Senators uniform, mainly as an outfielder.

Kite Thomas career record
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 04-28-2008 at 05:34 PM.

April 28

1911 Walter Johnson picks up his first victory of the season with a 2-1 victory over Philadelphia. The only run yielded by the the "Big Train" is a solo HR to Frank "Home Run" Baker. This will be the first of 25 wins for Johnson as he will finish fifth in the AL MVP voting.

Birthdays

Pedro Ramos, B: April 28,1935, Still Alive

A veteran of 15 major league seasons, the native of Pinar Del Rio, Cuba was an All Star for the Senators in 1959. Used mostly as a starter in his 5 seasons with Washington, Ramos would become an effective reliever in the latter half of his career, particularly with the Yankees. As a late season pickup by the Yankees in 1964, Ramos was an instrumental part of their pennant winning team. Ramos also pitched with Minnesota, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. He ended his career with a 4 game stint with the 1970 Senators, thus becoming one of 6 players to play for both the original and expansion Senators.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/ramospe01.shtml

Tom Sturdivant B: April 28, 1930 Still Alive

Drafted from Boston in the 1960 Expansion draft, Sturdivant appeared in 15 games with the Sens in 1961, logging a 2-6 record with a 4.61 ERA. Sturdivant was traded to Pittsburgh on June 28, 1961 for P Tom Cheney.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/sturdto01.shtml

Frank McGee, B: April 28, 1899 D: January 30, 1934

McGee appeared in 2 games with the 1925 Senators. He went hitless in 3 AB with 1 strikeout.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/mcgeefr01.shtml

I hope I'm not stepping on your toes, Aa3rt.
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 04-28-2008 at 05:40 PM.

April 29

1971 Playing their last season as the Washington Senators, the Senators, with a 12-8 won-lost record, head to Chicago to face the White Sox.

Despite home runs from Mike Epstein and Bernie Allen, the Senators would lose 5-4. This is the start of a 6 game losing streak from which the Senators would never recover, finishing the season at 63-96, for a .396 winning percentage. Chicago pitcher Tom Bradley ups his record to 3-0 with the win, Darold Knowles is charged with the loss for the Senators.

Senators Birthdays

Mickey McDermott B Apr. 29, 1929 D Aug. 7, 2003

Maurice Joseph (Mickey) McDermott first appeared in the major leagues with the Boston Red Sox in 1948. In a career that spanned 12 years he also played for the Washington Senators, New York Yankees, Kansas City Athletics (2 separate stints), Detroit Tigers and St. Louis Cardinals.

Mickey's years wearing the uniform of the Washington Senators were 1954 & 1955, where he compiled a 17-25 record over 2 seasons. His best year was 1953 when he went 18-10 for the Red Sox. Mickey came to the Senators, along with Tom Umphlett, in a trade for Jackie Jensen.

Mickey McDermott career record

Steve Ridzik B Apr. 29, 1929 D Jan. 8, 2008

Another well travelled player, Steve Ridzik first played in 1 game for the Philadelphia Phillies in 1950. He returned to Philadelphia in 1952, playing for the Phillies and going to the Cincinnati Reds during the 1955 season. He spent 1956 & 1957 with the New York Giants and spent a portion of 1958 with the Cleveland Indians. Then he would not play in the majors again until 1963 when he showed up on the roster of the expansion Senators where he would play from 1963 to 1965 compiling a 3 year total of 11-15. He was purchased by the Philles in early 1966 where he would end his career.

Steve Ridzik career record
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 04-29-2008 at 07:57 AM.

April 29

1969- At Tiger Stadium, Senators starter Joe Coleman heads into the bottom of the 9th inning with a 4-2 lead over Detroit. Coleman retires 3B Tom Matchick on a fly to left for the first out, but gives up a single to C Bill Freehan and a walk to PH Dave Campbell. Manager Ted Williams lifts Coleman for Frank Bertaina, who walks 2B Dick McAuliffe to load the bases. Williams makes another pitching change by summoning closer Dennis Higgins. SS Mikey Stanley deposits a double to center that scores all 3 Tiger runners as the Senators lose a tough one to the defending WS Champs. Despite pitching to one batter, Bertaina suffers the loss.

Joe Coleman was a 1st round choice of Washington in the first MLB draft in June,1965. Coleman was one of the players that the Senators gave up in the disastrous Denny McLain trade after the 1970 season. Coleman became a two time 20 game winner wth Detroit over 6 seasons with the Tigers. Over a 14 year career, he pitched for Washington, Detroit, the Cubs, Oakland, Toronto, San Francisco and Pittsburgh. After retiring in 1979, he became a pitching coach, most notably with San Diego.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/colemjo05.shtml

Frank Bertaina was acquired by the Senators in a trade from the Baltimore Orioles along with Mike Epstein for Pete Richert in May, 1967. Bertaina pitched part of 3 years with the Senators going 14-21 in his stint with Washington from 1967 to mid 1969. He was traded back to Baltimore for minor leaguer Pete Campbell in June, 1969. Bertaina ended his career with St. Louis in 1970.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/bertafr01.shtml

Dennis Higgins, who gave up the game winning double to Stanley, pitched 2 seasons with the Senators in 1968 & 1969, logging 29 saves while compiling a 14-13 record in 104 relief appearances. He also pitched for the Chicago White Sox, Cleveland and St. Louis in his 7 year career. Higgins is a cousin of current White Sox 3B Joe Crede.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/higgide01.shtml
    Last edited by Steve Jeltz; 04-30-2008 at 04:59 PM.

April 30

1939 The Senators win 3-2, beating the Yankees in New York. Making the game notable is the fact that Lou Gehrig's 2,130 consecutive game streak comes to an end today. He is hitting .143 with just 4 hits since the beginning of the season.

Senators Birthdays

Tony Brottem B Apr. 30, 1891 D Aug. 5, 1929

Playing for the St. Louis Cardinals in 1916 & 1918, Tony Brottem would reappear in the major leagues in 1921, playing just 4 games as a catcher for the Senators and would finish his playing days with the Pittsburgh Pirates that same year.

Tony Brottem career record

Bob Edmundson B Apr. 30, 1879 D Aug. 14, 1931

Bob Edmundson was another to have a brief career, this one entirely with the Senators. An outfielder who also made 2 pitching appearances, Edmundson played in just 3 games in the 1906 season and would resurface in 1908 to play in 26 games.

Bob Edmundson career record

Kenneth Leo (Ken) Retzer B Apr. 30, 1934 Still living

Another catcher, Ken Retzer appeared with the expansion Senators from 1961 to 1964 playing in 237 games over that span. After the 1964 season he was traded to the Minnesota Twins for Joe McCabe.

Ken Retzer career record
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 04-30-2008 at 02:52 PM.

May 1

1901 The Senators, after bolting to a 4-0 start, suffer their 1st American League defeat. The opponent was none other than the John McGraw led Baltimore Orioles, the forerunners to the Yankees. The Orioles take a 6-4 win in Washington. The Sens would complete their inaugural season with in 6th place with a record of 61-72 under manager Jim Manning. It would be Manning's first and last managerial job.

1925 The defending World Champion Senators improve to 10-3 with a 9-4 victory over Philadelphia. The significance of this game? This game marked the debut of a 17 year old kid by the name of Jimmie Foxx. Foxx hit a pinch single in his debut. Tom Zachary was the Senators winning pitcher.

1927 Rookie Hod Lisenbee shutouts the Red Sox 6-0 in his first major league start at Griffith Stadium. Lisenbee would compile an 18-9, 3.57 ERA for the 1927 Sens. Lisenbee would never approach those numbers again, as injuries and ineffectiveness curtailed his career. In one of the Senators best trades, Lisenbee was shipped to the Red Sox after the 1928 season in multi player deal that netted Washington Buddy Myer again, an important player for the 1933 pennant winning Senators.

Lisenbee's stats: http://www.baseball-reference.com/l/lisenho01.shtml

1944 At Boston, Sens 2B George Myatt goes 6 for 6 in Washington's 11-4 rout of the Red Sox. Myatt began his career in the NL with the NY Giants in 1938 before the Cardinals purchased his contract before the 1941 season. Myatt did not play a game for the Cards in two seasons and was left unprotected in the the 1942 Rule 5 draft, where Washington selected him. His best season as a Senator was in 1945 when he placed 5th in the AL MVP voting.

After Myatt's playing days ended in 1947, he would go on to a coaching and managing career in the minors and majors. Myatt's only major league managerial position occurred when he succeeded Gene Mauch as the Phillies manager during the 1968 season. A rocky relationship with mercurial Phils star Dick Allen and a 19-35 start in 1969, would eventually seal Myatt's fate as the Phils skipper.

George Myatt stats:http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/myattge01.shtml
    Last edited by Steve Jeltz; 05-02-2008 at 01:22 AM.

May 1 birthday

1941 In the first night game at Griffith Stadium, the Yankees defeat the Senators 6-5.

Senators Birthday

We have to dredge REALLY deep for this one...

David Austin (Del) Howard B May 1, 1889 D Jan. 26, 1956

Dave Howard's first (and presumably only) game with the Washington Senators came on May 8, 1912. He is credited with 1 run scored and no official at bats. Howard would resurface in 1915 with the Brooklyn Tip-Tops of the Federal League, where he appeared in 24 games at second and third base and as an outfielder.

Dave Howard career record
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 05-03-2008 at 02:44 PM.

May 2

Senators Birthday

Lucas Newton Turk B May 2, 1898 D Jan. 11, 1994

Another obscure player, Lucas Turk appeared in 5 games with the Senators in 1922, finishing with no won/lost record and an ERA of 6.94 in 11.2 innings pitched.

Lucas Turk career record
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 03-13-2009 at 05:29 PM.

May 3

1952 The Senators and Yankees make a 6 player trade, the Senators receive Jackie Jensen, Frank (Spec) Shea, Archie Wilson and minor league infielder Jerry Snyder. The Senators send Irv Noren and Tom Upton to New York.

1962 The Senators trade Willie Tasby to the Cleveland Indians. In return, Steve Hamilton and Don Rudolph suit up in Senators uniforms.

Senators Birthday

Charles Edward (Chuck) Hinton, Jr. B May 3, 1934 Still living

Fans of the early expansion Senators probably remember Chuck Hinton as one of the few bright spots on an otherwise lackluster roster. Chuck spent 11 years in the majors, starting with the Washington Senators in 1961. He spent 1965-1967 & 1969-1971 on the roster of the Cleveland Indians, with an interruption in 1968 playing for the California Angels.

Probably Chuck's best year came in 1962 when he hit .310 with 17 home runs in 151 games for a Senators team that would lose 101 games.

Chuck Hinton career record.
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 05-04-2008 at 05:52 AM.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast