Blog Entries

Best/worst announcer ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrrx5CgdZaA

I'm not sure what to make of this.

John Mayer, funny guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Bedard View Post
    LOL. That's brilliant.

Blog Entries
    What an idiot. I gotta email that to everyone.
    You must pick battles that are small enough to win, but large enough to matter

Quote Originally Posted by NJMetfan4life View Post
    What an idiot. I gotta email that to everyone.
    (psst ... it's supposed to be funny)

Great stuff.......at least he wasn't colorblind!!
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Best: Jon Miller
    Worst: Joe Morgan

Wait, this isn't supposed to be a poll? Sorry.
    Please check out my collection of vintage baseball recordings:

http://www.oldtimesports.net/users/AWilliams

It's like if my girlfriend or my mom where a baseball announcer!
    39 AL Pennants • 26 World Series titles
    2003 • 2001 • 2000 • 1999•1998 • 1996 •1981 • 1978 •1977 • 1976 • 1964 • 1963 •1962 • 1961 • 1960 •1958•1957 • 1956 • 1955 • 1953 • 1952 • 1951 • 1950 • 1949•1947 • 1943 • 1942 • 1941•1939 • 1938 • 1937 • 1936•1932 • 1928 • 1927 • 1926 •1923 • 1922 • 1921

1•3•4•5•7•8•8•9•10•15•16•23•32•37•42•44•49 & soon 2•6•20•21•51•42

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Bedard View Post
    I'm not sure what to make of this.
    I didn't really find it all that funny.
    But it did remind me of Ronald Reagan when he was an announcer for the 1989 All Star Game.

Worst: Ron Fairly and Tim McCarver.
    We own the West!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Worst: Joe Morgan hands down.
    Second: Phil Rizzuto (Yeah, Bill I can remember golfing in Florida with xxxx - while the game was going on).

I can remember when McCarver was a credible announcer for the Mets.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUlaxer27 View Post
    Second: Phil Rizzuto (Yeah, Bill I can remember golfing in Florida with xxxx - while the game was going on).
    Ah, the irony !
    Rizzuto, the most refreshing, joyful announcer New York has ever had, would often ask "what just happened White ?" because he wasn't always following the action.
    Now we find you criticising him for just that sort of attitude as you provide a list that has nothing to do with the thread. Guess you just weren't paying attention !!!
    That's rich.

best: Ernie Harwell
    worst: Michael Kay
    BALLGAME OVER, YANKEES WIN...THEEEEEEEEEEEE YANKEES WIN
    “You wouldn't have won if we'd beaten you.”

There are a few good broadcasters (Harwell, Murcer, Scully, Rizzuto, Jon Miller, and the like), but let's get to the worst.

As of tomorrow, Cardinals and Cubs fans, prepare for your worst nightmares tomorrow: Joe Buck and Tim McCarver. (even worse is on Sunday with Joe "Team Basher" Morgan >_<) Anyone watching the game, MUTE it. Or just don't listen to the game, because these two are a disgrace to baseball. I just want everybody who is a Cubs or Cardinals fan to not watch the game on FOX. Why?

McCarver has the uncanny power to make you go insane. Buck will try to hypnotize you with his monotonous speaking. How is that? I'm not bashing them, I had enough of those two tarnishing the broadcasting greats. Joe Morgan just doesn't like St. Louis or Chicago for unknown reasons. (he hates the Mets too, because he lost to them in the 1973 NLCS)

This is exactly why I strongly dislike the terrible tandem of McCarver and Buck. They're extremely miscast as the number one MLB on FOX broadcasters.

Great piece of satire! It's funny because it's often true among a good chunk of announcers and commentators!
    Best posts ever:
    Quote Originally Posted by nymdan View Post
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Worst Jon Miller and by plenty.
    Best Lon Simmons

Best: Cohen/Darling/Hernandez
    Worst: Miller/Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Solair Wright View Post
    This is exactly why I strongly dislike the terrible tandem of McCarver and Buck. They're extremely miscast as the number one MLB on FOX broadcasters.
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who hates these two. Vapid and stupid, or dumb and dumberer, pick one. I figures some people must like them as they're on so damn much.

I guess I go against the grain here on Joe Morgan though, I sure disliked him his first few years, he was awfully raw, but he's turned into a pretty good color guy with some good insight into the game.

IMNSHO of course.

And thanks to the OP for the laugh, I've forwarded it to a bunch of buddies!

Blog Entries
    If anyone listened to the Caribbean World Series might have heard Uri Berenguer who is also the Spanish language announcer for the BoSox.

Perhaps he didn't translate well into English but he was god-awful!!!
    If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

I used to get pretty fired up about McCarver, but I've settled down a little. We were watching a game where he was going on and on with some ridiculous analysis about how this guy can't handle breaking balls in a certain part of the plate. He got a 71 mph pitch in that very location and promptly deposited it in the LF bleachers. McCarver was saying it was a 2 seam fastball and that pitch the guy loves in that location. 71 mph fastball? Ha, ha, ha.

I'm in the "Vin Scully is the best" camp but my favorite play-by-play guy was the late Chuck Thompson, longtime Orioles broadcaster. Growing up in central New jersey I was lucky enough to be able to pick up the O's night games on my radio.

I have a soft spot for many of the Yankee and Met announcers I heard in those days as well. Phil Rizzuto, Lindsey Nelson, Red Barber and Bob Murphy were special to me.

The best job of color commentary (IMO) was done by Tony Kubek when he paired with Curt Gowdy for NBC's Game of the Week.

My least favorites are Bob Prince (blatant Pirate cheerleading during the 71 Series), current Astro guy Milo Hamilton who talks about himself as much as the game in front of him, and Joe Buck who should be made to change his last name, he dishonors his father with his self-centered, ego driven babble.
    Last edited by commishbob; 02-23-2009 at 07:08 PM.
    1966 1970 1983

Worst- Ron Fairly, M's fans know what I am talking about.

Best- Vin Scully.
    We own the West!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Quote Originally Posted by commishbob View Post
    I'm in the "Vin Scully is the best" camp but my favorite play-by-play guy was the late Chuck Thompson, longtime Orioles broascaster. Growing up in central New jersey I was lucky enough to be able to pick up the O's night games on my radio.

I have a soft spot for many of the Yankee and Met announcers I heard in those days as well. Phil Rizzuto, Lindsey Nelson, Red Barber and Bob Murphy were special to me.

The best job of color commentary (IMO) was done by Tony Kubek when he paired with Curt Gowdy for NBC's Game of the Week.

My least favorites are Bob Prince (blatant Pirate cheerleading during the 71 Series), current Astro guy Milo Hamilton who talks about himself as much as the game in front of him, and Joe Buck who should be made to change his last name, he dishonors his father with his self-centered, ego driven babble.
    I agree that Kubek and Gowdy were very good.

Locally (Baltimore):

Best - Jon Miller, miss him
    Worst - Michael Reghi, "partner"

Worst - Tom Paciorek
    My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast