X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elmer
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by ACrank View Post
    The home run he hit there would be a good one to research.
    It was one of Ruth's big barnstorming homers. At Ainsworth he hit
    one over the smokestack of the school and the legend is that it landed at the far corner in the front of the school on the ground. Oct. 28, 1923.

It probably did not go that far. It may still be on the school roof.

Comment

• metfan13
      • Jun 2007

I've seen a photo online somewhere of Ruth and Gehrig with a local team in my hometown of West New York, NJ.

Comment

• SHOELESSJOE3
        • Jan 2000

Originally posted by metfan13 View Post
        I've seen a photo online somewhere of Ruth and Gehrig with a local team in my hometown of West New York, NJ.

Not sure but I think I may have posted a picture of Lou Gehrig taking a swing in an exhibition game there. I'm sure it was Gerhig but not sure of the location. In the last couple of weeks.

Comment

• SHOELESSJOE3
          • Jan 2000

A night exhibition game, spoiled by rain. I was unable to find out if the game was played the next day.
          Attached Files

Comment

• six4three
            • Apr 2008

The Babe barnstormed with Lou Gehrig through Milwaukee at least once, based on this reference to a 1928 homer at Borchert Field.

Comment

• Ducky Pepper
              • Oct 2009

I am finishing up my research on Babe Ruth's postseason barnstorming--more than 200 games--and would be glad to hear from anyone with evidence of a game he might know about.
              Thanks.
              Prof. Tom Barthel
              [email protected]

Comment

• chicagowhitesox1173
                2005 World Series Champs
                • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Ducky Pepper View Post
                I am finishing up my research on Babe Ruth's postseason barnstorming--more than 200 games--and would be glad to hear from anyone with evidence of a game he might know about.
                Thanks.
                Prof. Tom Barthel
                [email protected]
                Do you know what citys he toured in Illinois? I heard he was in Chicago but also in outside citys like Cicero Joliet and Aurora too.
                "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

• SHOELESSJOE3
                  • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Ducky Pepper View Post
                  Thanks.
                  Prof. Tom Barthel
                  [email protected]
                  Tom, sent you an email with some info and a source that may be of help. Let me know if you do receive my email.

Comment

• BSmile
                    • Feb 2008

1924 Babe Ruth Pacific Coast Tour Letterhead
                    Here's the letterhead that Christy Walsh had made for promoting the upcoming Pacific Tour dates. Gotta love the spelling for "Takoma".
                    Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

• BSmile
                      • Feb 2008

1931 Farewell Tour Promo Letter
                      Here's the letter that Christy Walsh sent out about what was being promoted as Babe's last barnstorming tour. It also notes how it would be his first appearance in night baseball.
                      Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

• SHOELESSJOE3
                        • Jan 2000

Babe made a number of trips, barnstorming in my home town, Buffalo NY.This one, 1930.
                        That 50 cents for ladies and kids, what were the men paying.That was a lot of money back then................plus the depression was taking place.

Looking this one over, I believe I posted the wrong year, the broken window may have taken place in a game in Buffalo in 1921, October 16. That would fit in with the man being angry because of the 50.00 he lost, betting on the Yanks to win the World Series. The story did appear in a Buffalo newspaper as Babe was interviewed in the Statler Hotel, downtown Buffalo.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 11-23-2011, 07:18 PM.

Comment

• SHOELESSJOE3
                          • Jan 2000

It was from Buffalo NY that Babe phoned Landis and told him he would continue to play.Babe claimed Landis hung up on him.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• SHOELESSJOE3
                            • Jan 2000

Landis on barnstorming decision, he stands firm.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• SHOELESSJOE3
                              • Jan 2000

In an earlier post I entered the wrong date for this one, Babe pays for broken window.
                              Went back to the library and searched for the article. Here it is, the correct date.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• SHOELESSJOE3
                                • Jan 2000

If I read this correctly, looks like the Yankee owner was willing to pay Babe not to barnstorm in 1921. Perhaps they feared Landis would suspend him, for how long they did not know.

Easy to understand the Yankee owner's fear. At the begining of Babe's barnstorming tour, articles in the news hinted that Landis was considering suspending Ruth and some other for the entire 1922 season. This had to strike fear in Yankee owners.

As it turned out it was not the entire 1922 season Babe was suspended.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 11-27-2011, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X