Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: did babe ruth barnstorm your town?

Quote Originally Posted by elmer View Post
    not in Sudbury but
    Boston, Haverhill, Springfield and hit a huge homer in Everett Aug 9, 1928
    a solid 500 footer possibly as much as 520 feet
    Interesting, thanks. Anything else in MA or other parts of New England?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steveironcity
    I dont know if he ever barnstormed here, but he played games of the 1927 World series, and hit HRS 713 and 714 here.
    In 1920 the Yanks played an exhibition game on their last western swing of the season. It was on September 8th. Sellout crowd of 25,000 saw Ruth hit the longest (to that point) homer ever in Pittsburgh, well over the right field wall....grandstand in right hadn't been built yet. The reaction from the Pittsburgh fans was so great, that the Yanks scheduled at least one game there, every other year or so. The Yanks first time to Cincinnati was on July 25, 1921.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsburg2599
    Interesting, thanks. Anything else in MA or other parts of New England?
    During the 1927 season, on June 24th, the Yanks had a night game scheduled in Lynn, MA but it was rained out. So Ruth had to wait until 1931 to play under artificial lighting. He hit a long homer his first time under lights, and also homered in his second time under lights.

----------------------------------------
    Non-MLB cities.....Incomplete list....feel free to add.

Anaheim, CA
    Los Angeles, CA
    San Francisco, CA
    Oakland, CA
    Fresno, CA
    Dunsmuir, CA
    Ventura, CA
    Sacramento, CA
    Long Beach, CA
    Marysville, CA
    Stockton, CA
    San Diego, CA
    San Jose, CA
    Santa Barbara, CA

Albany, New York
    Binghamton, New York
    Buffalo, New York
    Oneonta, New York
    Rochester, New York

Jersey City, New Jersey
    Newark, New Jersey
    Paterson, New Jersey
    Trenton, New Jersey

New Haven, Connecticut
    Bridgeport, Connecticut

Portland, Oregon

Seattle, Washington
    Spokane, Washington

Akron, Ohio
    Columbus, Ohio
    Dayton, Ohio
    Toledo, Ohio
    Lima, Ohio

Providence, Rhode Island

Evanston, Illinois

South Bend, Indiana
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Fort Wayne, Indiana

San Antonio, Texas
    Galveston, Texas

Knoxville, Tennessee
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    Nashville, Tennessee

Norfolk, West Virginia
    Wheeling, West Virginia

Havana Cuba
    Santiago Cuba

Perry, Iowa
    Sioux City, Iowa

Lincoln, Nebraska
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Scottsbluff, Nebraska

Charlotte, North Carolina
    Ashville, North Carolina
    Fayetteville, North Carolina

Kansas City, Missouri

Pratt, Kansas

Denver, Colorado

New Orleans, Louisiana

Haverhill, Massachusetts
    Springfield, Massachusetts

Grand Rapids, Michigan

Harrisburg, PA
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Larkesville, PA
    Johnstown, PA
    Scranton, PA
    Warren, PA

Louisville, Kentucky

Cumberland, Maryland

Sleepy Eye, Minnesota

Sioux Falls, South Dakota
    Deadwood, South Dakota

Montreal
    Toronto
    Honolulu
    Japan
    Tokyo
    Manila
    Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 06-06-2008 at 06:13 PM.
    "Everyone left here, but I remain at my post, documenting my sports writers and photos. I don't do Ty Cobb anymore. I did for him everything I could do. Work will live on. Personalities will fade.

Fever members come and go. Not relevant. Your documentations will live FOREVER, my brother. That outweighs all the Fever jack-asses. Ignore what you must, document all you can."
    - Bill Burgess

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
    In 1920 the Yanks played an exhibition game on their last western swing of the season. It was on September 8th. Sellout crowd of 25,000 saw Ruth hit the longest (to that point) homer ever in Pittsburgh, well over the right field wall....grandstand in right hadn't been built yet. The reaction from the Pittsburgh fans was so great, that the Yanks scheduled at least one game there, every other year or so. The Yanks first time to Cincinnati was on July 25, 1921.
    Lots of publicity leading up to that game at Redland Park in Cincinnati. A difficult park to hit one out of, one of the reasons for the Yanks to play there, could Babe it one out. Here is the game write up, NY Times July 26,1921.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Babe Ruth hit the longest homerun of his career....and maybe in history a few miles from my front door in Wilkes-Barre, PA at Artillery Park. I am proud to say that I have hit a homer at the same place the Babe did. Although mine was around 380-390 ft. not 650!!

http://www.wilkes.edu/pages/1636.asp

Quote Originally Posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
    Lots of publicity leading up to that game at Redland Park in Cincinnati. A difficult park to hit one out of, one of the reasons for the Yanks to play there, could Babe it one out. Here is the game write up, NY Times July 26,1921.
    Approximately how far were those fences and bleachers, SHOELESSJOE3?

Quote Originally Posted by Love The Game View Post
    Babe Ruth hit the longest homerun of his career....and maybe in history a few miles from my front door in Wilkes-Barre, PA at Artillery Park.
    He hit a similarly huge one during spring training in St. Petersburg, Florida, LTG - recently verified by an official state-certified survey.

The man was truly incredible: Hercules in Pinstripes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EXCELSIOR View Post
    Approximately how far were those fences and bleachers, SHOELESSJOE3?
    I believe center was 420. Not sure how tall the wall was. Right was 384 with a 7.5 foot fence.
    "Everyone left here, but I remain at my post, documenting my sports writers and photos. I don't do Ty Cobb anymore. I did for him everything I could do. Work will live on. Personalities will fade.

Fever members come and go. Not relevant. Your documentations will live FOREVER, my brother. That outweighs all the Fever jack-asses. Ignore what you must, document all you can."
    - Bill Burgess

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
    I believe center was 420. Not sure how tall the wall was. Right was 384 with a 7.5 foot fence.
    Differing numbers on the wall in CF, one 37 feet and another 23 feet.

Ruth's last HR

On March 31, 1924 Babe "hit a home run at the Mobile (Ala.) park which cleared the center field fence 480 feet distant."

Quote Originally Posted by ACrank View Post
    The home run he hit there would be a good one to research.
    It was one of Ruth's big barnstorming homers. At Ainsworth he hit
    one over the smokestack of the school and the legend is that it landed at the far corner in the front of the school on the ground. Oct. 28, 1923.

It probably did not go that far. It may still be on the school roof.

I've seen a photo online somewhere of Ruth and Gehrig with a local team in my hometown of West New York, NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by metfan13 View Post
    I've seen a photo online somewhere of Ruth and Gehrig with a local team in my hometown of West New York, NJ.

Not sure but I think I may have posted a picture of Lou Gehrig taking a swing in an exhibition game there. I'm sure it was Gerhig but not sure of the location. In the last couple of weeks.

A night exhibition game, spoiled by rain. I was unable to find out if the game was played the next day.

The Babe barnstormed with Lou Gehrig through Milwaukee at least once, based on this reference to a 1928 homer at Borchert Field.

I am finishing up my research on Babe Ruth's postseason barnstorming--more than 200 games--and would be glad to hear from anyone with evidence of a game he might know about.
    Thanks.
    Prof. Tom Barthel
    tombart0@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky Pepper View Post
    I am finishing up my research on Babe Ruth's postseason barnstorming--more than 200 games--and would be glad to hear from anyone with evidence of a game he might know about.
    Thanks.
    Prof. Tom Barthel
    tombart0@yahoo.com
    Do you know what citys he toured in Illinois? I heard he was in Chicago but also in outside citys like Cicero Joliet and Aurora too.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky Pepper View Post
    Thanks.
    Prof. Tom Barthel
    tombart0@yahoo.com
    Tom, sent you an email with some info and a source that may be of help. Let me know if you do receive my email.

1924 Babe Ruth Pacific Coast Tour Letterhead
    Here's the letterhead that Christy Walsh had made for promoting the upcoming Pacific Tour dates. Gotta love the spelling for "Takoma".

1931 Farewell Tour Promo Letter
    Here's the letter that Christy Walsh sent out about what was being promoted as Babe's last barnstorming tour. It also notes how it would be his first appearance in night baseball.

Babe made a number of trips, barnstorming in my home town, Buffalo NY.This one, 1930.
    That 50 cents for ladies and kids, what were the men paying.That was a lot of money back then................plus the depression was taking place.

Looking this one over, I believe I posted the wrong year, the broken window may have taken place in a game in Buffalo in 1921, October 16. That would fit in with the man being angry because of the 50.00 he lost, betting on the Yanks to win the World Series. The story did appear in a Buffalo newspaper as Babe was interviewed in the Statler Hotel, downtown Buffalo.
    Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 11-23-2011 at 07:18 PM.

It was from Buffalo NY that Babe phoned Landis and told him he would continue to play.Babe claimed Landis hung up on him.

Landis on barnstorming decision, he stands firm.

In an earlier post I entered the wrong date for this one, Babe pays for broken window.
    Went back to the library and searched for the article. Here it is, the correct date.

If I read this correctly, looks like the Yankee owner was willing to pay Babe not to barnstorm in 1921. Perhaps they feared Landis would suspend him, for how long they did not know.

Easy to understand the Yankee owner's fear. At the begining of Babe's barnstorming tour, articles in the news hinted that Landis was considering suspending Ruth and some other for the entire 1922 season. This had to strike fear in Yankee owners.

As it turned out it was not the entire 1922 season Babe was suspended.
    Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 11-27-2011 at 08:02 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast